Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to scrap the use of AD and BC,polical correctness gone mad.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Has anyone actually read to the bottom on the Daily Mail article?
    The BBC said last night: 'The BBC has not issued editorial guidance on the date systems.

'Both AD and BC, and CE and BCE are widely accepted date systems and the decision on which term to use lies with individual production and editorial teams.'
    So what, exactly, is being scrapped then? :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

zerks wrote: »
    What about readers of 2000AD and the movie 1 Million Years BC?

What about them? The BBC have nothing to do with either, AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

4leto wrote: »
    I don't actually, but I could learn. Its not a question of deleting Jesus from the history books, the thing about history, is rewriting it, and omitting parts of it, by doing that we truly never learn from it.

Before Common Era/Common Era

Can you explain to me the effect this change will have on our perception of history and how it will alter the way we learn from it?
    Do you want the terms changed??? if so why???

I really don't care.

UK-surrounded by water=an island,even I fell into the whole trying not to offend thing by typing UK.

Britain is an island, the UK includes Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

bnt wrote: »
    Has anyone actually read to the bottom on the Daily Mail article?

So what, exactly, is being scrapped then? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nothing is being scrapped.But if that was to be acknowledged people wouldn't be able to have a rant about "political correctness gone mad"! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It don't bother me thats its gone.
    The only people that really will get in a huff about it might be the religious type and they being that, I can see why they might be upset.
    That said, again, make no difference to myself that it could be going. Never really served a purpose that was useful for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing is being scrapped.But if that was to be acknowledged people wouldn't be able to have a rant about "political correctness gone mad"! ;)

Shhhh you dont want to disappoint the OP. Now theyll have another couple of months to wait until they find some other story about Neasden council "banning christmas"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Before Common Era/Common Era

Can you explain to me the effect this change will have on our perception of history and how it will alter the way we learn from it?

I really don't care.

What the hell is common era, like something I would hear in South Park

Anyway if you have no position in this debate, its pointless answering your posts.

So with respect. I don't know why you keep questioning my position, I am not a teacher and this to me is a debating forum and a bit of craic.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Which organisations in particular and are the organisations in question state or private owned ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a reference to the NHS case. So yes it is state owned.

However the specifics of that case are that the nurse was asked to not wear the crucifix on a chain around her neck, as they were worried that a patient would grab the chain and cause her serious harm. She as allowed the option of either pining it to her uniform or to a safety lanyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP and others, all this tyrannical political correctness imposed upon you... stop and really think about it for a sec: it's pretty much in your imagination isn't it?

As for not offending muslims living in the west, ok, I don't think their every cultural whim should be pandered to either - I'm with you on that score - but is it REALLY that bad for non muslims? Are they REALLY tiptoe-ing around for fear of offending a muslim? And whatever about Britain, it's certainly not the case in Ireland.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    who was it that said 'bidden or not - God is present'? They can try and erase Him all they like. It is futile.
    You BELIEVE he's present, which you're entitled to do. Many don't believe he's present, which they're also entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

The problem is though,where will a line be drawn.I'm not particularly religious but I find all this a real annoyance when we are being told what we can and can't say-even the most mundane sayings and terms of speech are being regulated by those who seem to have too much time on their hands and that's my problem with the whole thing,not the religious aspect.

You have two choices,comply and fall in line or refuse to comply and carry on as you are safe in the knowledge that your not actually doing anything wrong by saying BC/AC,the only way this extremist pc nonesense will stop is if people stop complying with it,if such little things are offensive to certain people,races or ethnic groups then they're the ones with the problem.
    I am not against political correctness. The early days of the project it was a good cultural thing. It rid some of our everyday language of denigrating and insulting words and concepts of racism and sexism.

Like words like N#gg#r, and other insulting racist term which were bandied about in everyday speech. The same could be said of the way our language would routinely put down women.

If anyone followed the brilliant "Life on Mars" series you would see what it was like. It was shocking to look back, at it, at that time.

But now were does it stop. I would regard myself as an atheist but BC/DC and other historical references, referring to religions should be left as they are.

Political Correctness has grown into a ridiculous monster today,it is used as a stick to beat us with,I agree,in the early days of it's crusade it had noble ideals but this "cant say blackboard" , "cant say manhole" ,"Cant say Holy God", "cant say BC/AD" for fear of offending someone is just ridiculous and borne from a guilt conscience of a system that oppressed 'minorities' for too long.

The example above is arguable - as the 'N' word (or ******) is still common place today although in fairness predominantly in certain area's of the Black community,in their Ebonics,in their music,in their 'culture' apparently,so we teach the kids it's wrong to use the term as its offensive and they grow up hearing '****** this , ****** that' peppered throughout modern hip hop,RnB & rap amongst other genres.

Another example of a world gone pc mad
    The presenters of this 'show' are so blinded by their pc bull$hit they've actually come across as more ignorant than the subject matter they're trying to condemn.

Mad world we live in!

I think we should also stop calling the calendar the Gregorian calendar as that is a papal reference to Pope Gregory I propose we rename it the Post common era post modern political correct post Christian calendar, THe PEPMPCPCC calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Just another sign of our politicaly correct culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would have thought there was more issue with 'common era' . Common to whom? Is a person of another, or no, belief being asked to acknowledge that the Christian era is 'common' to everyone?

At least if you are saying 'before Christ' you are making a simple reference to a time period linked to a person you may or may not believe in. AD is a bit more questionable 'In the year of our lord Jesus Christ', which implies worship. AC would be more politically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Slow news day.

Oh ffs, whose life is blighted by political correctness gone mad?

Can't say mine is. Heard a waiter in a cafe the other day referring to the disabled toilets as the "less-abled toilets" and everyone who heard him laughed and agreed he should lighten up. Just because a few people buy into that sh1te doesn't mean the world has gone PC mad or that everyone is forced to tow the PC line... :rolleyes:

What the hell is common era, like something I would hear in South Park

Anyway if you have no position in this debate, its pointless answering your posts.

So with respect. I don't know why you keep questioning my position, I am not a teacher and this to me is a debating forum and a bit of craic.
    You won't answer anymore of my posts because you don't have any actual answers that go any further than ''because it's always been like that'', apart from some bizarre idea that this will somehow rewrite our history, which you seem unable to expand upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Knasher wrote: »
    However the specifics of that case are that the nurse was asked to not wear the crucifix on a chain around her neck, as they were worried that a patient would grab the chain and cause her serious harm. She as allowed the option of either pining it to her uniform or to a safety lanyard.

So the chain was the issue and not the crucifix.

EarlERizer wrote: »
    You have two choices,comply and fall in line or refuse to comply and carry on as you are safe in the knowledge that your not actually doing anything wrong by saying BC/AC,the only way this extremist pc nonesense will stop is if people stop complying with it,if such little things are offensive to certain people,races or ethnic groups then they're the ones with the problem.

Political Correctness has grown into a ridiculous monster today,it is used as a stick to beat us with,I agree,in the early days of it's crusade it had noble ideals but this "cant say blackboard" , "cant say manhole" ,"Cant say Holy God", "cant say BC/AD" for fear of offending someone is just ridiculous and borne from a guilt conscience of a system that oppressed 'minorities' for too long.

The example above is arguable - as the 'N' word (or ******) is still common place today although in fairness predominantly in certain area's of the Black community,in their Ebonics,in their music,in their 'culture' apparently,so we teach the kids it's wrong to use the term as its offensive and they grow up hearing '****** this , ****** that' peppered throughout modern hip hop,RnB & rap amongst other genres.

Another example of a world gone pc mad
    The presenters of this 'show' are so blinded by their pc bull$hit they've actually come across as more ignorant than the subject matter they're trying to condemn.

Mad world we live in!

It was a noble thing, I use to use those offensive terms till it was shown to me as to how offensive others find them. I was educated in the use of those denigrating terms by the early PC movement.

That was a good thing. Black people using that term is OK like Irish people using paddy. But they are derogative remarks when used by other groups to put another group down. Then it is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Knasher wrote: »
    Britain is an island, the UK includes Northern Ireland.

Part of the ISLAND of Ireland,jeez some people become so pedantic yet still fail to make any telling contribution to the thread-yes you Mike1972. Next you'll be going on about the Commonwealth.:rolleyes:

So much of everyday language uses religious terms,imagine Irish folk being told they can't say Jaysus anymore as it might offend another faith.:)

• Advertisement

You won't answer anymore of my posts because you don't have any actual answers that go any further than ''because it's always been like that'', apart from some bizarre idea that this will somehow rewrite our history, which you seem unable to expand upon.

What am I answering, I have given my position, if you have no opinion on the issue why are you questioning mine. And I have answered that question. I think umpteen times.

And I am not going to expand on my answer I could but it is not the thread.

Part of the ISLAND of Ireland,jeez some people become so pedantic yet still fail to make any telling contribution to the thread-yes you Mike1972. Next you'll be going on about the Commonwealth.:rolleyes:

So much of everyday language uses religious terms,imagine Irish folk being told they can't say Jaysus anymore as it might offend another faith.:)

Err, the Island of Ireland is an Island, Northern Ireland is not an Ireland, just like the Rep. of Ireland is not an Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I think we should also stop calling the calendar the Gregorian calendar as that is a papal reference to Pope Gregory I propose we rename it the Post common era post modern political correct post Christian calendar, THe PEPMPCPCC calendar.
    Maybe, but PEPMPCPCC is the Olmec god of bicycles. The Toltecs would surely object.

imagine Irish folk being told they can't say Jaysus anymore as it might offend another faith.:)
    Who would tell them to stop, and what would actually make them stop? I certainly wouldn't, therefore, my life is not repressed by this terrible PC monster. :)
    Some people take the silly ideas of others that don't particularly impinge upon their lives WAY too personally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The terms AD and BC have been used to describe the timelines in Christianity for about 1500 years but have now been deemed offensive to non Christians.

How much more of this craziness do people in The Western world have to put up with as those who feel they know best foist these rulings upon us,even other faiths see this as stupid.You wouldn't see a Muslim country changing things like this and anyhow it's not even offensive.

Like it or not the Islands of The UK and Ireland are predominantly Christian but the UK seems to go out of it's way to pander to religious political correctness instead of letting folk practice their own faith,so long as it's not extremist rhetoric just let people on with it.At least we haven't really seen such things over here yet but as is usually the case,if Britain sneezes we catch a cold so to speak.
    It seems to be a type of religious health & safety gone mad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041265/BBC-turns-year-Our-Lord-2-000-years-Christianity-jettisoned-politically-correct-Common-Era.html

(Waits for the "Not another Daily Mail article" comments)

Who would have thought the British would be so soft.

What am I answering, I have given my position, if you have no opinion on the issue why are you questioning mine. And I have answered that question. I think umpteen times.

And I am not going to expand on my answer I could but it is not the thread.
    My opinion is that I do not care, I'm questioning your opinion because that is the wonderful thing about discussion forums.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh ffs, whose life is blighted by political correctness gone mad?

Can't say mine is. Heard a waiter in a cafe the other day referring to the disabled toilets as the "less-abled toilets" and everyone who heard him laughed and agreed he should lighten up. Just because a few people buy into that sh1te doesn't mean the world has gone PC mad or that everyone is forced to tow the PC line... :rolleyes:

That's actually offensive:D "Less-abled"- he needs a kick in the nuts then he'd be less abled for a while.

The problem of people buying into the pc sh1te is that the ones doing it tend to be in positions of influence be it the media,politicians right down to councillors and they expect Joe and Josephine soap to toe the line.

A less abled toilet finally a toilet I can use.

Err, the Island of Ireland is an Island, Northern Ireland is not an Ireland, just like the Rep. of Ireland is not an Island.

Try and walk to Europe and you'll soon discover how it's an island you're on;)

Here's a pic to keep you happy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RdLAd89tRNA/TJEWCORgJII/AAAAAAAABt0/tkgJHwMSTwg/s1600/mapa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 naldface

That's actually offensive:D "Less-abled"- he needs a kick in the nuts then he'd be less abled for a while.

The problem of people buying into the pc sh1te is that the ones doing it tend to be in positions of influence be it the media,politicians right down to councillors and they expect Joe and Josephine soap to toe the line.

I know. My roots are stuck to the ground and I can't move.

Advertisement