Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to scrap the use of AD and BC,polical correctness gone mad.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Women are bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FTGFOP wrote: »
    If you think about it 'handicapped' and even 'less-abled' are less offensive than 'disabled'. To me the disabled implies (complete) brokenness whereas the first two are a more accurate. A person that can't walk has a handicap but they aren't broken or useless.

The real reason (probably) that there are these shifts is due to these terms being used as insults by insensitive people. 'Spastic' was once a proper, non-derogatory term, which was replaced by 'handicapped', which was replaced by 'disabled'.

Less-abled would be more apt for laziness instead of a new term for disabled.Next they'll be changing the name of the Special Olympics.

Disabled can be used to cover a range of problems with people be it simply a broken ankle to a paraplegic,it's in no way offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I've got this theory. It mightn't make much sense, but it does in my head.

There are two types of people in the world.

People from the future who are stuck in the present, and people from the past, who are stuck in the present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Anyone else think the term "year of our lord" is rather presumptuous ?
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    The BBC is anti British traditional values.

Whats that little tune they play on Radio 4 just before 1am every night :confused:
    zerks wrote: »
    Should that be God Damn instead of gawdamn or are you trying not to offend anyone?

God Buddah Allah and Darwin Damn

Happy now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Less-abled would be more apt for laziness
    How does that work?
    Next they'll be changing the name of the Special Olympics.

Disabled can be used to cover a range of problems with people be it simply a broken ankle to a paraplegic,it's in no way offensive.
    I've heard the term 'special' used as an insult. 'Handicapped' isn't really offensive either, just going by the meaning, if it wasn't for the history of the term I think it would be more appropriate than 'disabled'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's probably more accurate terminology anyway since the calendar was tweaked and modified to suit various things over the centuries.
    I doubt the actual date of Jesus' birth was 25 Dec 0000. Given that the modern 12 month calendar wasn't in use back then.

A lot of christian festival dates, probably including 25 December, were chosen to coincide with existing pagan festivals. So, I think really CE / BCE is more reflective of reality.

How does that work?

I've heard the term 'special' used as an insult. 'Handicapped' isn't really offensive either, just going by the meaning, if it wasn't for the history of the term I think it would be more appropriate than 'disabled'.

I know people who are 'less abled' to work,they suffer from a terrible affliction called laziness,they aren't disabled just less abled:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Solair wrote: »
    It's probably more accurate terminology anyway since the calendar was tweaked and modified to suit various things over the centuries.
    I doubt the actual date of Jesus' birth was 25 Dec 0000. Given that the modern 12 month calendar wasn't in use back then.

A lot of christian festival dates, probably including 25 December, were chosen to coincide with existing pagan festivals. So, I think really CE / BCE is more reflective of reality.
    Their was no year 0000. AD means Anno Domini, the Year of Our Lord. So Jesus was born in 1 AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think it's time the religious nutters realised their grip on society in this part of the world is gone.

Happy days. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Their was no year 0000. AD means Anno Domini, the Year of Our Lord. So Jesus was born in 1 AD.

Supposedly, although most historians now think 6BC, or thereabouts.
    t's probably more accurate terminology anyway since the calendar was tweaked and modified to suit various things over the centuries.

The Julian calendar dates from 45BC, hint in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dudess wrote: »
    Hardcore loyalists can pretend all they like that they're viewed by people in England, Scotland and Wales as British... but they're not, they're viewed by the majority as Irish. :)
    I don't think anyone thinks differently. It is what we are though is the point. But this is silly and off topic.

4leto wrote: »
    During the *Napoleon era the French tried to change the calendar to a metric one but that project was abandoned, because no-one bothered to use it.

Anyone up for giving it another go just for the craic like.

(*was it not yer man Robespierre ???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

'Spastic' was once a proper, non-derogatory term, which was replaced by 'handicapped', which was replaced by 'disabled'.

I think spastic used to specifically refer to people affected by cerebral palsy, in particular their involuntary movements or tics. It was hijacked and used as a general insult for anything ranging from stupidity to clumsiness, as in ''you dropped it, you spa'' Spa being the shortened version still used in fairly often.

Not all persons with disabilities were called spas, or spastics. In some central and east European countries its still used as a insult, and strangely, a lot of the time people assume people with CP are mentally challenged too.

Maybe we could describe people as having physical challenges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dermighty wrote: »
    Women are bitches.

Well done for getting that in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Mena wrote: »
    BCE/CE have been used for ages in Academic and Scientific circles. This is just the rest of the world catching up.

That, and who the hell actually cares...?

Such an utterly pointless change considering they still use the "birth of Christ" as their reference point. Flutes.

Giselle wrote: »
    I think spastic used to specifically refer to people affected by cerebral palsy, in particular their involuntary movements or tics. It was hijacked and used as a general insult for anything ranging from stupidity to clumsiness, as in ''you dropped it, you spa'' Spa being the shortened version still used in fairly often.

Not all persons with disabilities were called spas, or spastics. In some central and east European countries its still used as a insult, and strangely, a lot of the time people assume people with CP are mentally challenged too.

And in the States, the word retarded is used as a complement,mate of mine from there had to stop using it over here due to it's different meaning.

Even The Black Eyed Peas had to change the line from "let's get retarded in here" to "let's get it started in here" for European (and Irish and English;) for you Mike1972 & Magicmarker) radio.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Anyone up for giving it another go just for the craic like.

(*was it not yer man Robespierre ???)

If we are changing the system let's not use the patriarchical-bourgeois-eurocentric metric system. i suggest a 17 hour day with varying hours - to remove our western bourgeois fantasy of linear time - minutes running from 36 per hour, to 2,129. The minutes will have varying number of seconds to stop the patriarchy from quasi-imperialism and super-structurialism. We should have 8 to 15 days per week, based on feng shui methodology and to avoid Ontological paradox there should be 3-22 weeks per month, and 5 - 18 months per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Dermighty wrote: »
    Women be bitches.
    Word, mutha****a!

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    Such an utterly pointless change considering they still use the "birth of Christ" as their reference point. Flutes.

FAIL

Christ wasnt born on 1/1/0

FAIL

Well, as we have already pointed out there was no year zero. And he could have been born any time that year. And the first month would be April, not Jan.

Anyway, the year AD ( or ACE) 1 is based on the once assumed date of the birth of Christ. That that calculation is wrong is not really relevant, the assumed date of the birth of Christ is what separates AD from BC , and ACE from BCE.

so, um, fail?

• Advertisement

Yahew wrote: »
    That that calculation is wrong is not really relevant

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

LOL yea and the metric system is communist!

WTF?

Lol.

Remedial time?

The AD and BC are based on the assumed birth of Christ. Not buddha, not Frankenstein, not Lady Gaga. When the system was introduced they apparently worked backwards incorrectly and got the actual year wrong. Nevertheless 1 AD is based on the assumed date of the birth or Christ, as once worked out, and so is ACE based on that.

And. Please stop with the FAILs and the WTFS in large font and colours. It makes you look like an idiot.

Yahew wrote: »
    The AD and BC are based on the assumed birth of Christ.

Someone assumed wrong.

Therefore Fail

Next........

FAIL

WTF?
    Someone assumed wrong.

Therefore Fail

Next........

What age are you, near 40? nice to see you are in with da kul kids nd all their lingwo

and please inform us as to when christ was born so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Giselle wrote: »

I didn't know that about 'spastic'. I've heard 'challenged' used as an insult too. :pac: You can't win.

Read the thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Like it or not the Islands of The UK and Ireland are predominantly Christian but the UK seems to go out of it's way to pander to religious political correctness instead of letting folk practice their own faith,so long as it's not extremist rhetoric just let people on with it.At least we haven't really seen such things over here yet but as is usually the case,if Britain sneezes we catch a cold so to speak.

From experience so far living in the UK, it is majority agnostic as far as I see it. Nobody really has a problem with your beliefs and for the most part seem interested and tolerate it. It's certainly not majority Christian as 7% of people go to church on any given Sunday. Probably more people visit their local mosque.

The UK isn't spiritually desolate and religion is never really going to die there. There are a lot of well attended churches around, the same is true of mosques, gudwaras, and Hindu temples. It is a minority activity though and many do find it interesting that people would observe any faith.

Also, to say that people pander to other peoples beliefs is only true in so far as that people feel the need to. It's generally not the minorities who would request this themselves. When people tend to comment about how PC-mad everything is the minorities get blamed when it has very little to do with them actually.

I will keep using AD and BC though.

Read the thread :rolleyes:

for someone so "intelligent" you failed to notice my inverted commas around "birth of christ". The same reference point is being used for CE/BCE, is it not? We are currently in 2011 CE yes? Good "man" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

..when his mother gave birth to him.

Advertisement