Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to scrap the use of AD and BC,polical correctness gone mad.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    for someone so "intelligent" you failed to notice
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

zerks wrote: »
    The terms AD and BC have been used to describe the timelines in Christianity for about 1500 years but have now been deemed offensive to non Christians.

How much more of this craziness do people in The Western world have to put up with as those who feel they know best foist these rulings upon us,even other faiths see this as stupid.You wouldn't see a Muslim country changing things like this and anyhow it's not even offensive.

Like it or not the Islands of The UK and Ireland are predominantly Christian but the UK seems to go out of it's way to pander to religious political correctness instead of letting folk practice their own faith,so long as it's not extremist rhetoric just let people on with it.At least we haven't really seen such things over here yet but as is usually the case,if Britain sneezes we catch a cold so to speak.
    It seems to be a type of religious health & safety gone mad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041265/BBC-turns-year-Our-Lord-2-000-years-Christianity-jettisoned-politically-correct-Common-Era.html

(Waits for the "Not another Daily Mail article" comments)

Wtf has this to do with muslims?

Nodin wrote: »
    Wtf has this to do with muslims ,health & safety , the western world anything ?

FYP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    fypFYP!

fyp.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    FYP!

Seriously though....the Hindus have their own calendar, as do the Chinese. Thats roughly 2.5 Billion people. Then theres 3 or 4 places that use a Buddhist calendar. There's a Jewish calendar...not to mention the fact the thing means nothing really anyway.....but of all these myriad people and purposes to whom and which BC and AD means SFA, its THE MUSLIMS.....ffs sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

looksee wrote: »
    I would have thought there was more issue with 'common era' . Common to whom? Is a person of another, or no, belief being asked to acknowledge that the Christian era is 'common' to everyone?

At least if you are saying 'before Christ' you are making a simple reference to a time period linked to a person you may or may not believe in. AD is a bit more questionable 'In the year of our lord Jesus Christ', which implies worship. AC would be more politically correct.

AC would mean adding 34 to all historical dates in the intervening time...I like my date-of-birth just fine as it is.

And in the States, the word retarded is used as a complement,mate of mine

I'm going to call BS here...a while since I lived over there but it always meant what you think it means back then and I can't see that reversing upon itslef in a decade.
    I think the BEP's were referring to getting drunk/high/ in some other way inebriated when they used it in that context... but then again they are f*cking retarded so who knows?

Nodin wrote: »
    the Hindus have their own calendar, as do the Chinese. Thats roughly 2.5 Billion people. Then theres 3 or 4 places that use a Buddhist calendar. There's a Jewish calendar...

Theres also a Muslim calender.

Surely if the Jews Communists Muslims under Paul Dacre's bed had anything to do with this theyd have us adopting their calender rather than faffing around with sticking extra letters on the end of years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wertz wrote: »
    AC would mean adding 34 to all historical dates in the intervening time...I like my date-of-birth just fine as it is.

I'm going to call BS here...a while since I lived over there but it always meant what you think it means back then and I can't see that reversing upon itslef in a decade.
    I think the BEP's were referring to getting drunk/high/ in some other way inebriated when they used it in that context... but then again they are f*cking retarded so who knows?

In fairness they call things "the sh1t" to mean they are good.

@Nodin,was wondering how long it would take you to wander into a thread when the word Muslim is used-I just used the Muslim religion as an example,nothing sinister in my use of it in the op.Just took Muslim countries as an example of how other countries stick to their traditions regardless of what others think.Here in certain countries there seems to be a fear of using certain terms in case it may cause offence even though said terms aren't actually offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

That's so stupid. What are they going to do next, take out all the Renaissance paintings from every publicly funded gallery in the world because they're religious? Those people really need to get a life and stop being offended by two letters :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Naomi00 wrote: »
    That's so stupid. What are they going to do next, take out all the Renaissance paintings from every publicly funded gallery in the world because they're religious? Those people really need to get a life and stop being offended by two letters :rolleyes:
    Who's offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Who's offended?

That's the crux of the whole thing-nobody is,it's those that think somebody might be that is actually the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In protest I now refuse to use Greenwich Mean Time
    We use IST

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm offended.

Does that count?

We use IST

only in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

TheReligious Education (for Junior Cert) textbooks use BCE and CE

Naomi00 wrote: »

Nobody is offended, it's just sensible to use secular standards for international measurements. I don't think you really understand the motiviation behind these changes. Christians have a really bizarre persecution complex when society decides that it wants to progress without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Aye. It's health and safety gone mad I tell thee.

The imperial system used to offend me.

4 inches sounded so less impressive than 10cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nobody is offended, it's just sensible to use secular standards for international measurements. I don't think you really understand the motiviation behind these changes. Christians have a really bizarre persecution complex when society decides that it wants to progress without them.

It's not really a secular standard though, is it? All they're doing is changing the terms used to describe the date. It's still tethered to Christianity.

It's not really a secular standard though, is it? All they're doing is changing the terms used to describe the date. It's still tethered to Christianity.

Well they're avoiding the explicit connection it has to a religion.

As oppose to having Christian connotations future generations will just learn it as a traditional means of measurement (although ultimately it will always date back to religion).

• Advertisement

Only because the Gregorian calendar is used so widely around the world as to be practically irreplaceable. It has little to do with religion any more. Renaming the eras is pretty much as secular as you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nobody is offended, it's just sensible to use secular standards for international measurements. I don't think you really understand the motiviation behind these changes you've read the thread. Christians have a really bizarre persecution complex when society decides that it wants to progress without them.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Note to OP - stop reading inflamed tabloid rubbish and check a real newspaper....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8787311/BBC-drops-Anno-Domini-and-Before-Christ-to-avoid-offending-non-Christians.html
    The BBC said last night: "The BBC has not issued guidance on the dates system. Both AD and BC, and BE and BCE are widely accepted dates systems and the decision on which term to use lies with individual production and editorial teams."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yahew wrote: »
    only in summer.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0023/print.html
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS:—

Standard time.

1.—(1) The time for general purposes in the State (to be known as standard time) shall be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time throughout the year, and any reference in any enactment or any legal document (whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act) to a specified point of time shall be construed accordingly unless it is otherwise expressly provided.

.Just took Muslim countries as an example of how other countries stick to their traditions regardless of what others think.

Yeah, ye did allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seachmall wrote: »

As oppose to having Christian connotations future generations will just learn it as a traditional means of measurement (although ultimately it will always date back to religion).

Aye.. it does make sense but I still wouldn't see it as a move towards a more secularist society than we have today. If you're irreligious to begin with, the terms BC & AD will mean nothing more to you than BCE & CE. Are there any plans on the horizon for the renaming of Christmas? :D

Aye.. it does make sense but I still wouldn't see it as a move towards a more secularist society than we have today. If you're irreligious to begin with, the terms BC & AD will mean nothing more to you than BCE & CE. Are there any plans on the horizon for the renaming of Christmas? :D

Baby steps, got to start somewhere I guess (even if it is ultimately trivial).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Are there any plans on the horizon for the renaming of Christmas? :D
    Only if you read the Daily Mail.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Seachmall wrote: »

Already being done in places, with Americans now preferring "Happy whatever you're having yourself Holidays"

Here's a question - would all those who are objecting to religious references give back their saint-related and religious-related holidays ?

Mind you, that begs another question - since "holiday" is a variation of "holyday", what are we going to even call those ?

• Advertisement

Yahew wrote: »
    only in summer.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0023/print.html
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS:—

Standard time.

1.—(1) The time for general purposes in the State (to be known as standard time) shall be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time throughout the year, and any reference in any enactment or any legal document (whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act) to a specified point of time shall be construed accordingly unless it is otherwise expressly provided.

I bet there is a later law where they changed that. Either that or we are ignoring Irish standard time ever since despite it being legal. If it were so then Ireland would be at 4pm when the UK is at 3pm in winter. not seeing it.

Edit: looked into it. Ireland was following the UK which removed winter time for two years in 1968, reverted in 1970.

Advertisement