Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to scrap the use of AD and BC,polical correctness gone mad.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Because it's a religious festival that doesn't apply to everyone

Eid and Ramadan are religious festivals that don't apply to everyone but nobody expects Muslims to pretend that they aren't religious festivals in case they offend non-Muslims. Unlike the meek, soft PC Brigade, Muslims aren't bothered if their religion "offends" other religions.
    It's up to people who are afflicted with that particular religion to celebrate it.

The vast majority of people in Ireland and the UK are Christians. Therefore the vast majority of people of both countries have a right to celebrate Easter as a religious holiday.
    Forcing other people to live how you want them to is crap.

Nobody is forcing people to celebrate Easter. What I'm saying is that it is wrong to deliberately take away all the religious links from Easter when the whole point of Easter is as a religious festival.

These atheists and members of the PC Brigade are hypocrities: they hate Christianity and its religious festivals and anything to do with Christianity but they would still rather keep Easter and Christmas - two religious festivals - so that they can have time off work rather than do away with them completely and go to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

aparantly right. you cant have sex during ramadan in case a muslim hears you. political correctness gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Batsy wrote: »
    Eid and Ramadan are religious festivals that don't apply to everyone but nobody expects Muslims to pretend that they aren't religious festivals in case they offend non-Muslims. Unlike the meek, soft PC Brigade, Muslims aren't bothered if their religion "offends" other religions.
    And Eid and Ramadan don't get shoved down people's throats to remotely the same extent that Easter and Christmas do. At a certain point, things change meaning. That's how Christianity took Easter and Christmas from the pagans after all. Learn to accept that things change, like the pagans did.

The vast majority of people in Ireland and the UK are Christians. Therefore the vast majority of people of both countries have a right to celebrate Easter as a religious holiday.
    And they have every right to. Except most of them seem to do it by chugging down eggs, the old pagan symbol from the celebration that (again) Christianity overwrote.

Nobody is forcing people to celebrate Easter. What I'm saying is that it is wrong to deliberately take away all the religious links from Easter when the whole point of Easter is as a religious festival.
    People can still go to church right? So they still can celebrate Easter, right? Or do you just want to force people to celebrate the way you think they should? PC GONE MAD.

These atheists and members of the PC Brigade are hypocrities: they hate Christianity and its religious festivals and anything to do with Christianity but they would still rather keep Easter and Christmas - two religious festivals - so that they can have time off work rather than do away with them completely and go to work.

That's not hypocrisy, that's wanting a day off work. You could call it handshandy week and I'd take it. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

they hate Christianity and its religious festivals ....Easter and Christmas - two religious festivals

Actually both originally Pagan festivals ursurped by christianity.
    You could call it handshandy week and I'd take it.

There really really should be a han'shandy week, or at the very least maybe a half day

1) It truely is a thing to be joyous for that everyone can celebrate
    2) The practice far outdates christianity

To address the original topic, I dont see any point in changing the AD, BC usage. Its just kicking the anthill really.
    Lets keep the AD/BC thing but get rid of the abuse of power thing

Peetrik wrote: »
    Actually both originally Pagan festivals ursurped by christianity.

There really really should be a han'shandy week, or at the very least maybe a half day

1) It truely is a thing to be joyous for that everyone can celebrate
    2) The practice far outdates christianity

To address the original topic, I dont see any point in changing the AD, BC usage. Its just kicking the anthill really.
    Lets keep the AD/BC thing but get rid of the abuse of power thing

they didnt change it. it says in the article they didnt change it.

• Advertisement

apparantly you cant even call profoundly mentally challenged people 'daily mail readers' anymore, because its offensive to profoundly mentally challenged people. political correctness gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

they didnt change it. it says in the article they didnt change it.
    Stop being so sensible, Ken. That doesn't mean Jack Shit and you know it. The Daily Mail are outraged and that means all right-thinking people should be outraged too.

PC GONE MAD!!!!!!!! BLOODY MUSLIMS!!!!!!!! DAMN LEFTY-PINKO-LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Why celebrate Good Friday and deliberately make no reference to the fact that it isn't a religious festival but merely a day to stuff your face with chocolate?

Wait...Good Friday comes before Easter Sunday, so why would celebrating good Friday simply be an excuse to stuff your face with chocolate?

Lrn2Religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

And Eid and Ramadan don't get shoved down people's throats to remotely the same extent that Easter and Christmas do. At a certain point, things change meaning. That's how Christianity took Easter and Christmas from the pagans after all. Learn to accept that things change, like the pagans did.

And they have every right to. Except most of them seem to do it by chugging down eggs, the old pagan symbol from the celebration that (again) Christianity overwrote.

People can still go to church right? So they still can celebrate Easter, right? Or do you just want to force people to celebrate the way you think they should? PC GONE MAD.

That's not hypocrisy, that's wanting a day off work. You could call it handshandy week and I'd take it. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Christmas and Easter aren't rammed down anyone's throats. They are just important holidays in Western countries. You're welcome not to participate but don't expect everyone else to stop.

There were numerous events for Eid and Ramadan in my area over here due to the large Islamic population with lots of
    publicity. Although I didn't practice I didn't regard it as shoving Islam down my throat. Likewise to say that of Easter or Christmas is absurd.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Stop being so sensible, Ken. That doesn't mean Jack Shit and you know it. The Daily Mail are outraged and that means all right-thinking people should be outraged too.

PC GONE MAD!!!!!!!! BLOODY MUSLIMS!!!!!!!! DAMN LEFTY-PINKO-LIBERALS!!!!!!!!!

id call it a white wash but you cant say that anymore aparantely in case it offends the irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

philologos wrote: »
    Christmas and Easter aren't rammed down anyone's throats. They are just important holidays in Western countries. You're welcome not to participate but don't expect everyone else to.

There were numerous events for Eid and Ramadan in my area over here due to the large Islamic population with lots of
    publicity. Although I didn't practice I didn't regard it as shoving Islam down my throat. Likewise to say that of Easter or Christmas is absurd.

I'm not complaining that people are being forced to participate (apart from Good Friday). I think saying they're being rammed down people's throats is pretty reasonable, to be honest. Selection boxes by October? Decorations all over the shops? I ask you.

Christmas and Easter are celebrated widely and yet Batsy is complaining that they're being taken away from him, or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You'll find that Jesus himself hated the terms AD/BC as he was born in about 7 bc! The bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

philologos wrote: »
    Christmas and Easter aren't rammed down anyone's throats. They are just important holidays in Western countries. You're welcome not to participate but don't expect everyone else to.

I'm not complaining that people are being forced to participate (apart from Good Friday). I think saying they're being rammed down people's throats is pretty reasonable, to be honest. Selection boxes by October? Decorations all over the shops? I ask you.

Christmas and Easter are celebrated widely and yet Batsy is complaining that they're being taken away from him, or her.

The decorations are there due to demand. Much like if I go to my local supermarket I'll see huge halal and kosher sections. Islam and Judaism are pretty common in pockets of London. I'm not offended.

Christmas will be around due to demand. Sometimes expecting society to change just for you is profoundly selfish? Should I expect shops to stop facilitating Muslims? Or pharmacists to stop offering Hajji vaccinations sponsored by Muslim Council of Britain? Of course not! We tolerate. If you're intolerant of Christmas don't expect society to bend over backwards for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think you will find that a holiday period existed in late december before there were christians believe or not. It was just hi-jacked by the christian community. If The christian thing had never caught on we would still have our holidays over the same period and follow some of the same traditions.

Its like what the Catholic church did in Peru by uniting the native and catholic religions. It works and people eventually forget about the pagan festival that was originally there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

4leto wrote: »

So now if they want to strip it of BC or AD, why not get rid of the rest of religion in our calendar.

This is a stupid exercise. It is just misguided political correctness. As I tot this out on the Sunsday.

I propose they change the days of the week to

Oneday
    Twoday
    Threeday
    Fourday
    Fiveday
    Sixday
    Sevenday

Advertisement