Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggshell over gloss paint on skirting and doors

• 25-09-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Lads,
    Have to do the above job on all the downstairs doors and skirting next week. The paint is not in bad condition, just gone from White to yellow and chipped in areas from kids. Want to get rid of the gloss. Would a light sanding be sufficient before applying the White eggshell? Or would I need to lightly sand, prime and then paint the eggshell?

Tunner

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

tunner wrote: »
    Lads,
    Have to do the above job on all the downstairs doors and skirting next week. The paint is not in bad condition, just gone from White to yellow and chipped in areas from kids. Want to get rid of the gloss. Would a light sanding be sufficient before applying the White eggshell? Or would I need to lightly sand, prime and then paint the eggshell?

Tunner

I did this myself a few months back (when painting eggshell onto thick gloss white skirting boards).

1 roll of "GREEN" aluminium oxide sand paper
    1 electric palm sander
    1 tin of wood primer
    1 tin of Eggshell

Use the sander and oxide paper to sand down the gloss and create a keyed surface.

Then clean off the skirting board and dust with a cloth and some sugar soap or alcahol wipes,let it dry.

Then use a small/mini roller brush with a gloss paint roller to apply the primer,leave to dry for a good few hours(even overnight if needs be)

Then use a fresh mini roller to apply the eggshell to the skirting boards.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

paddy147 wrote: »
    Lads,

Tunner

I did this myself a few months back (when painting eggshell onto thick gloss white skirting boards).

1 roll of "GREEN" aluminium oxide sand paper
    1 electric palm sander
    1 tin of wood primer
    1 tin of Eggshell

Use the sander and oxide paper to sand down the gloss and create a keyed surface.

Then clean off the skirting board and dust with a cloth and some sugar soap or alcahol wipes,let it dry.

Then use a small/mini roller brush with a gloss paint roller to apply the primer,leave to dry for a good few hours(even overnight if needs be)

Then use a fresh mini roller to apply the eggshell to the skirting boards.

Simples.:)

Cheers . What grade paper did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

When it comes to refreshing paintwork there's nowt like these things. They're flexible sponge pads with an emery like material glued on. Unlike sandpaper (which has relatively few cutting points), this stuff is like a million tiny razor blades at work.

Using a light grade one involves you virtually only having to 'wipe' the woodwork a couple of time in order to take the sheen off the old paint and provide a key.

I don't see any need for primer on sound paintwork

http://www.pldistributors.com/product_details.asp?intProdID=217

I don't see any need for primer on sound paintwork
    [URL="http://"][/URL]

Chipped/damaged paintwork isnt sound though,is it?

Hense sanding back and primer.

Cheers . What grade paper did you use?

A roll of 80 grit.

I cut it to size and used it on the leccy palm sander.

Did the job perfectly and keyed the surface very nicely too.:)

I also did this on all the doors in the house too (converted to eggshell to matching skirting board)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Spot prime the chipped areas after sanding out...no need to coat all the joinery with primer.
    Two coats of eggshell with light sand and dust down between.
    Good idea to slightly thin both coats of the eggshell too if it's oil...for some reason the new low VOC stuff takes an age to hard dry and in some cases it's not recoatable until up to 36 hrs later (depending on humidity and temp of the area)...thinning will help it to cure faster.

Advertisement