Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting boards

• 25-09-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum to post this in, so please forward on if incorrect.
    I've a bit of a problem with regards to painting my skirting boards. Im new to all of this and already know Im a useless painter. I painted the skirtings using the incorrect paint (and also put too much paint onto my paintbrush) so the paint dripped dried. I tried sanding this down, but the normal sand paper wont work.
    Any suggestions on sand paper that will get rid of the mess I have created?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Better off in DIY. Thread moved from C & P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cacamilis wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum to post this in, so please forward on if incorrect.
    I've a bit of a problem with regards to painting my skirting boards. Im new to all of this and already know Im a useless painter. I painted the skirtings using the incorrect paint (and also put too much paint onto my paintbrush) so the paint dripped dried. I tried sanding this down, but the normal sand paper wont work.
    Any suggestions on sand paper that will get rid of the mess I have created?

Thanks in advance :)

I did this myself a few months back (when painting eggshell onto thick gloss white skirting boards).

1 roll of "GREEN" aluminium oxide sand paper
    1 electric palm sander
    1 tin of wood primer
    1 tin of Eggshell

Use the sander and oxide paper to sand down the gloss and create a keyed surface.

Then clean off the skirting board and dust with a cloth and some sugar soap or alcahol wipes,let it dry.

Then use a small/mini roller brush with a gloss paint roller to apply the primer,leave to dry for a good few hours(even overnight if needs be)
    Then use a fresh mini roller brushto apply the eggshell to the skirting boards.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cacamilis

Thanks for that paddy147! Was hoping there'd be a solution without needing an electric sander :( But gladto hear Im not the only one out there that made the same mistake ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cacamilis wrote: »
    Thanks for that paddy147! Was hoping there'd be a solution without needing an electric sander :( But gladto hear Im not the only one out there that made the same mistake ;)

I didnt make a misstake,I just wanted to change from gloss to eggshell,as eggshell doesnt go an off yellow colour after a while.

Advertisement