Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Issues??

Options
  • 25-09-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there, I added a new hard drive not so long ago to my machine(Badly needed) and it seems to be running very slow. Also transferring any type of file is slow as well. Ill first give the specs of the two hard drives. The OS is on a WD 500GB SATA 16MB Cache. I have two partitions from this, one for backup and data. It has performed perfectly the last two years. Now I added a WD 1GB SATA 64MB Cache to the setup just for data. Problems are when transferring files from either drive its slow. Only around 20MB and sometimes really slow. It also freezes sometimes when transferring data and crashes other times which can destroy my data. Also when a program on the C: drive is accessing data from it it can hang and be really slow. I have not setup these in any special way. There in the right SATA ports to have them as Primary and Slave. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's no master/slave drives in SATA.

Did you do a full format (not quick) before you began? If there's not much data on it, you could move everything that you need from it and do a full format. This could take 5 or six hours.

First things to check are that (a) it's not a faulty cable, (b) a bad port (just try a different one), (c) the BIOS setting are right - try SATA 2 or AHCI mode rather than IDE or legacy (or vice versa).

If you do have data on the drive, run check disk.
    Right-click on the drive, properties, tools, check for errors and tick both boxes. This will take a good few hours.

HDtune is a good tool for quickly checking any speed anomalies in the drive.

If all else fails, you can use WD's tool for checking drives. Finally, you could also try updating the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ThomasReilly

Thanks for the reply. I done the check disk already and all is good. Im using a old sata cable so mayb that could be it. Also have it half full so formatting cant be done. I did do a quick format(No Patience). Ill try changing the BIOS settings. I download that HDTune and see what that tells me. Thanks again.

I ran HD tune and here is the results I got. I dont know if they look right so I just upload a picture of them;

HD_Results-1.jpg

I also was just looking at the health status and on my C: drive its giving me two warnings. Here is some pictures;

HD_Health_Results.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That looks more like problems with your primary drive!
    I'd expect some more erratic speeds given that it's the OS drive and there'll be constant reads slowing it down, but that's some substantial variations and you shouldn't ignore the warnings.

I think that you should run a full check disk on your primary drive.

Here's a WD's checking tool. If check disk doesn't find anything, you can try this out.
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&sid=3&lang=en

You should backup any files from your C-Drive that you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement