Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlovians opinion on presidential candidates

Options
  • 25-09-2011 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Has any one formed their opinion on which candidate they would choose and why ?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

We need a president who will represent us in a positive way across the world, someone who will serve the Irish people and not just their own agenda.
    We in Ireland punch above our weight on the world stage despite our size. When our President goes abroad to represent us we need the foreign media to concentrate on the good things about Ireland and not to be distracted by the colourful character or past of the President.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

christ, that counts them all out then

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

I believe it is equally important that we have a President who is willing to travel to all corners of Ireland and open the local community centre, the new playschool, commemorate the centenary of a school etc.

I have always found Mary McAleese to be hardworking and approachable. Often her visit to celebrate the work or achievements of a community is the only official acknowledgement and legitimisation they ever get.

Which of the candidates is willing to get out there, week after week, amongst the Irish people? It's all very well swanning around the world, and I'm sure that's the dream of many of the candidates, but the work of the President at home is vital.

I believe it is equally important that we have a President who is willing to travel to all corners of Ireland and open the local community centre, the new playschool, commemorate the centenary of a school etc.

I have always found Mary McAleese to be hardworking and approachable. Often her visit to celebrate the work or achievements of a community is the only official acknowledgement and legitimisation they ever get.

Which of the candidates is willing to get out there, week after week, amongst the Irish people? It's all very well swanning around the world, and I'm sure that's the dream of many of the candidates, but the work of the President at home is vital.

Jacques Thelad you are very right. That pat on the back or recognition is what gives local communities the energy to go back and work for the next year and more. I just used the international angle as that is one that makes people sit up and realise how serious this election is. It is not Celebrity Big Brother for the benefit of the tabloids.

I think that Mary Davis has a track record of working with communities all over Ireland, supporting people who did not have a voice to speak out strongly for them. She and the organisation that she has built up with volunteers all over Ireland have given people the heart and the will and the energy to work for the athletes. I believe that she is more than capable of repeating it for the benefit of the entire community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Why the hell did the CC support Dana??? Bloody Dana ffs!

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    Why the hell did the CC support Dana??? Bloody Dana ffs!
    I think that because they had rescheduled the meeting 3 times that the feeling was that they should nominate someone. As the chairman explained in his decision to vote against David Norris, the feeling was that there were too many unanswered questions about other letters and possible other revelations so the vote went against Norris. Then they were left with Dana and I think that it was the politicians day in the sun and they felt they had to wield their democratic power in public. That's just my assumption. I had a feeling all along that they were definitely going to nominate someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Has any one formed their opinion on which candidate they would choose and why ?:cool:

Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I think that because they had rescheduled the meeting 3 times that the feeling was that they should nominate someone. As the chairman explained in his decision to vote against David Norris, the feeling was that there were too many unanswered questions about other letters and possible other revelations so the vote went against Norris. Then they were left with Dana and I think that it was the politicians day in the sun and they felt they had to wield their democratic power in public. That's just my assumption. I had a feeling all along that they were definitely going to nominate someone.

I dont think I understand this completely, did they have to support a candidate now? I'm not a big David Norris supporter, but Dana is ridiculous.

This presidential campaign is a complete joke

Random Inanimate Object for President! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dana is a ridiculous choice yeah but it beats the hell out of voting for Norris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

SV wrote: »
    Dana is a ridiculous choice yeah but it beats the hell out of voting for Norris.

I don’t think either of them are viable candidates to be honest, for the record, I thought David Norris would have been an excellent candidate until the scandal emerged. That’s completely ruled him out.

Because Carlow shouldn’t really have supported either of them, that’s why I was wondering could they not postpone until another more suitable candidate put their name forward.

Roscommon have supported Dana now, and Donegal look likely so at least it takes some of the heat off us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

super-rush wrote: »
    Have you?
    Not as yet,have u?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

All I know is that David Norris should not be allowed to run, if he had of written that letter of clemecny in Ireland something tells me there would of been a huge kick up about it, and he would not have the current support he has in polls at present. Just because it was Israel, it doesn't matter. Are people so stupid that they forget about the church in Ireland and all the abuse here. statutory rape happens here and happened many times and there was a public outcry, so why is it forgotten about in Norris's case?

I also think there will be a further can of worms to come out around this man.

I have not otherwise made my mind up on the other candidates.

I agree with PatrickC regarding Norris, but to be fair did Gay Mitchell also not interfere in a criminal case but the media didn't give it the same sort of coverage? :rolleyes:

Martin McGuinness..head of the Irish Army?? While I would support SF in local elections, I don't think we're that far removed from The Troubles!

Mary Davis & Sean Gallagher = snorefest, unless they ups their game in the next few weeks.

Dana...not even going to go there.

Who's left? Michael D? I refer to my previous post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I dont think I understand this completely, did they have to support a candidate now? I'm not a big David Norris supporter, but Dana is ridiculous.

This presidential campaign is a complete joke

Above comment show that neither poster have read anything about any of the candidates and go by what the daily muck or other sensationalist rag says.

All 7 candidates ahve their quailities and relevant experience for different aspects of the position.
    The president of Ireland is largely a position of prestige and is primarily there to represent the country at official engagements abroad.

Whilst it is possible that they could wield some power, it rarely happens.

I call it as the bookies call it - Michael D to win, once he shows that his age will not be a hindrance. (so far so good)

Michael D - Excellent candidate and worthy favourite. At 71, some will say too old, but recent performances seem to have answered that question. A gaelgoir, poet, writer, intellect and ever so eloquent - he is probably the ideal choice and has everything required.

Norris - eloquent, outspoken, endearing and very knowledgeable. If it wasn't for Micael D, he'd be a shoe-in. Questions over letters and this need to go away for him to have a chance of getting in.

McGuinness - Personally I despise him ( but that's for a reason that others won;t have - he was head of IRA in derry when a friend on mine's father was murdered) I sincerely hope he falls flat on his face. Speaking from a different ange - if he did not have IRA baggage, he would be a strong president, but the baggage of having killed / ordered the killing of innocent people is not what we want as a president

Mitchell - classic career politician. Very itellectual and not really part of the FG brigade. Flies on his own and if we needed a politially minded president, he'd be superb. - But as its not a political position, I don't think he suits.

Davis - Ouch. There may be a few things coming out about her. Argumentive, likes getting her own way, seems a bit tunnel visioned and not suitable imo to be president.

Gallagher - If we needed a president of all the chambers of commerce, he'd be great. But lacks experience in a lot of other areas.

Dana - If it was 1950, she may just about have had was was needed, but whilst she a nice person and has experience of politics at european level, I just can't see what she can bring to the role of president.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

I am failing to see how this is specifically related to the Carlow forum as so far the majority of the discussion has been about the specific candidates. For any discussion like that then I suggest you have a look at the politics forum and specifically the election sub forum -> Link

If there continues to be no relevance to the Carlow forum/region then I will have to lock the thread.

Regards
    Tommy

maxer68 wrote: »
    Norris - eloquent, outspoken, endearing and very knowledgeable. If it wasn't for Micael D, he'd be a shoe-in. Questions over letters and this need to go away for him to have a chance of getting in.
    <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

<snip>

Nope - you have that quite wrong.

He gave a reference and pleaded for clemency for his then partner in the same way your partner or my partner would do the same if they still loved you/me. He did not try and use any political power to influence any guilty / not guilty decision and the letter was written AFTER conviction but prior to sentencing.

Its a very very big difference and I think most people can see that angle. In hindsight he should have ended it with his partner, but love is blind and through emotions of love a person can do things they would never do in the normal world.

Personally I don't think it should affect the election and likewise personally I think Michael D would be a superb president when he wins it. - Especially for the Arts as Carlow is starting to become a great centre for the Arts.

(note the carlow specific bit at the end to ensure this stays a carlow thread!:D:D:D)

"libelious allegation snipped" are you fúcking ****ting me.
    it's true.

and no, not the same way anyone would ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Thread Locked as it has no relevance to the Carlow forum, All election discussion should be taken to the politics forum and specifically the election sub forum -> Link

Regards
    Tommy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement