Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Asian food store in Cork?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Heya guys,

I've been wondering if there is any (if possible decent) asian food store in Cork and surrounding? I'm especially interested in noodles they sell as the ones you get in the supermarket are good for nothing imo.

Also would be interested in a good Japanese Restaurant.

Any hints very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

There are two shops in town very close to each other here. You'll pick up stuff in the English market too.

There's also CX Oriental, an asian cash and carry open to the public. Haven't been myself, but I hear good things.

As for Japanese restaurants, there aren't any, really. You have Wagamama, and there's a dutch-run sushi place off of the South Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

There's one on Bridge St. opposite Cork Coffee Roasters and one on Emmet Place across from the back door of Dunnes. Mr Bells in the English Market is good for noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oleoleole

Unfortunately CX has recently closed,which is a shame as I have only just started using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

:eek: ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

oleoleole wrote: »
    Unfortunately CX has recently closed,which is a shame as I have only just started using it.

i think someone said on here that they just moving, i have been saying i must go there for weeks now!
    although i went down the slip road beside it the other day and there was a big skip outside the front,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

They're moving to Kinsale road. It was announced on their facebook page a week ago and they guess to open their new shop in about 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Wagamama is a British-headquartered restaurant chain, serving pan-Asian food in the style of a modern Japanese Ramen bar. I love this place, always buzzing, good value for what youget. We recently ate here, my partner doesn't eat meat and was served a dish with chicken that looked like tofu or bean curd. They were very apologetic and gave us desserts (of which we always go for the frozen yogurt which is gorgeous) and tea and coffee on the house. You also get 10% off your bill if you present your last receipt on your next visit. They also do BOGOF on certain days (for mains).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

C&X Oriental is moving to Kinsale Road, behind Great Gas service station. Expect the shop to open in about 3 weeks time and the restaurant a few weeks later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oleoleole

Thanks for the update on CX guys, its good to hear they are not closing for good, in fact the news has put a smile on my face.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

Id say their race is run. no sing of the shop opening:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

No CX isnt opening at all.

The boss man owns "great gas" and hes more than likely opening up a supermacs or some other crap commercial fast food place, In the thought of getting Cork City fans over after matches.

Shame really, I used run a train on the scampy, nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

There is some building work going on down the side of great gas for last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Any update on the CX oriental cash & carry? I used to go there when it was on the Tramore Road. It was a great place to get all your Asian food ingredients.

Have they moved or closed for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

CX was good while it lasted but there has been an Asian food shop in Cork for years that no one has mentioned...
    JAI JAI on the coal quay across from the bridewell...its the best ! !
    I worked in asia and india and in here they have it all, they even fly in specialty asian fresh veg...cheap too
    On north main st there is a great spice shop.can't remember the name...very helpful staff too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

gpf101 wrote: »

Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

When I click on the link there,,all I get is this....

ADODB.Field

error '80020009'
    Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record./enforcement/order/enf_detail.asp, line 0

Is CX listed there?? I can't see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 godenny

Cheers for the info on Jai Jai. What kind of stuff do they sell? Would they have fresh Asian veg, fruit and ingredients (even frozen is good)? All I ever find is dried food shops when looking for authentic chinese/indian food.

godenny wrote: »
    Cheers for the info on Jai Jai. What kind of stuff do they sell? Would they have fresh Asian veg, fruit and ingredients (even frozen is good)? All I ever find is dried food shops when looking for authentic chinese/indian food.

They have fresh and frozen asian veg...very good, check it out
    i always head in on sunday and park up on the pavement,never any issues on sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The one on the Coal Quay is called Jia Jia, not "Jai Jai."

Just in case you are looking it up on line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

godenny wrote: »

Have you tried Aiysha's Spice House in Shandon? They do fruit, veg, meat, pulses, spices etc - lovely shop, on the left, as you are going up Shandon Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

my friends use the one near the tax office in Blackpool- not sure what the name of it is but I have seen it in passing and its big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jpjakes

all_smilz wrote: »
    my friends use the one near the tax office in Blackpool- not sure what the name of it is but I have seen it in passing and its big enough
    Is that the new tax office. ?

I was in jia jia quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zuegg

I'm wondering where Coal Quay is... I can't find it on gmaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

zuegg wrote: »

Look for Cornmarket Street.

zuegg wrote: »
    Do you know were tk max is it is about 5 doors down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mr Bells in the English market is pretty good, small but they also have a lock-up that has more stuff.

Oriental Superstore was opened up in Turners Cross, just behind Great Gas Petrol station...Just down from Woodies...worth a look

• Advertisement
Advertisement