Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartments do/will Irish families live in them?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

They tend to be something that one associates with single people or professional couples,but not with raising a family. Is this true and could it ever change in Ireland?.

Danke
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Freiheit wrote: »
    They tend to be something that one associates with single people or professional couples,but not with raising a family. Is this true and could it ever change in Ireland?.

Danke
    F
    Yes it could easily change if they were better constucted and managed, every second day on the radio you hear people complaining how
    1. they are getting ripped off by management companies.
    2. they can hear their neighbours every movement through the paper thin walls, crappy floors and ceilings.
    3. Undersirables are being housed in the same apartments as people have paid good money to purchase.
    4. Alot of apartments are the too small for a family due to developers and planners just looking at getting maximum bodies into the building.

If these were sorted i would live in a apartment no problem, until a handle is gotten on these things people will shy away from apartments for family living.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Plenty of families are living in apartments. Our development has a high percentage of families, with none of the problems outlines by the previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Paulw wrote: »
    Plenty of families are living in apartments. Our development has a high percentage of families, with none of the problems outlines by the previous post.
    Thats good to hear , must of had a decent builder and developer so , glad to hear there are some decent apartments out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Paulw wrote: »

+1

Our 3 bed apartment is bigger than an average 3 bed semi...our sitting room is 23 feet long and the kitchen isn't much smaller.

On the MC/fees issue, the biggest problem is ignorance tbh, people don't realise what they've signed up to and don't understand the difference between Management Companies and Management Agents. The problem is with the purchasers not necessarily the apartments.

High density living isn't for everyone and takes some getting used to but I like not having my entrance on the ground floor and I feel much safer here than I ever did in a house. I have been a director of my MC since the owners took control, because the best person to protect my investment is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

From where I came, I lived in alot of different apartments.

At one stage there were 4 of us living in 1 room 1 kitchen Apartment. Was okay, survived. And trust me, apartment wasn't even half as good as you cam get here.

You can easily have a family in 2 bedroom livingroom/kitchen apartment. I really don't see a problem. My sister with her husband have a newborn child. No problem in 2 bed apartment.

Now there are different apartments in different locations, same as houses can be in bad and good locations.

I lived myself in Irish apartment for 4 years. Apartment itself was ****, but landlord was great, neighbours were great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi all,thanks for answers. I've been looking at properties for a while,all houses and starting to conclude that an apartment might be lower maintenance and more private than a terraced or semi detached house?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi

Where I come from apartment living is much more common than in Ireland. and I much prefer it to the terraced houses - would never be able to afford a house that we call a house (ie. detached or semi-detached, with a good sized garden).

I have only been renting here, lived in apartments + terraced house and
    - feel much safer in apartments (as long as it's not on the ground floor!)
    - if well built, you don't really hear anything from your neighbours' apartments. Actually could hear our neighbours when living in the so called house!
    - in Dublin, you can find good sized apartments (could not find any in Cork!), and they can be rather beautiful, too

but:
    - almost any neighbour counts in terms of annoying behaviour: our block has turned into a student dorm and their lifestyle doesn't suit the rest of us who are working folks: parties all the time, cabs running under your window in the middle of the night for 30 min.. It causes constant problems and you would have a lot less if you live in a house
    - the apartment is spacious but where do you put stuff like bikes etc? if you have a garden, you can always put in a shed
    - apartments seem to lose value much more than houses. sadly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Price,yeah thats something that concerns me too. If I did want to sell in a few years,would there be any takers and for how much? why does the value of apartments fall so much more than houses?.

The potential lesser maintenance than a house is appealing. Any tips for looking for one to buy?.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Freiheit wrote: »
    Price,yeah thats something that concerns me too. If I did want to sell in a few years,would there be any takers and for how much? why does the value of apartments fall so much more than houses?.

The potential lesser maintenance than a house is appealing. Any tips for looking for one to buy?.

consider to buy only if you plan to live there for awile. if you got idea of shifting it in 2 years, then just rent.

property is not an ivestment thses days.

prices drop on apartments, because everyone was in mind set of property ladder. apartment was the first step.everyone jumped in on piramid, but now the whole ladder collapsed. people who were buying apartments just to get on ladder got screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

scaryfairy wrote: »
    cabs running under your window in the middle of the night for 30 min.
    Do you mean taxis? why are they doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean taxis? why are they doing that?

sorry should have said that they are running the engine while waiting for the kids to come down/go up to get cash, whatever...

it usually happens when there is a gathering (=usually quite loud music, gathering on the balcony, and don't know why, screaming on top of their heads??!!... youths..) in one of the apartments, and they leave (if we are lucky) between midnight and 2 am. Taxis arrive, and run the engine while waiting... When there are 30-40 people leaving the apt, that means I guess 7-8 whatever number of taxis, spread over 90 min at least.
    :mad:

Advertisement