Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door neighbour!

Options
  • 25-09-2011 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey All,

I've recently bought a semi-detached house in the City and i'm trying to find out who my next door neighbour is (simply because i want to ask permission on buidling up the back garden boundary wall).

The house doesn't appear to be lived in and i've never seen anyone come/go from the house. I've been living in my house for the last 6-7mths. Anyone here able to advise me on how i will find out the owner of the house?

Appreciate any replies.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you tried the Local Authority? They should be able to tell you...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Long shot here i know but have you tried knocking on hes front door and asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

be handy if the walls could talk when they knock

see is the house advertised on daft to be rented out ya would be able to get contact details through the advert if it was on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Chat up the postman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Miss_InCogNito

Have you tried the Local Authority? They should be able to tell you...

Good idea, would you know what Department i would need to get in touch with?

Cheers for the reply, but the house is vacant.

Chat up the postman!

I'll think about that the next time i see him! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

If the house next door is deserted for so long I would be tempted to just drive on and build up the wall. As a wise man once said its easier to get told off than to get permission!

Also you could try the voters list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would just build up the wall and if ever asked about it say it was like that when you bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, you may need planning permission.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would just build up the wall and if ever asked about it say it was like that when you bought it.
    All well and good until someone produces some photographs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Victor wrote: »
    All well and good until someone produces some photographs.

The person next door ( who hasn't been there for 6 or 7 months apparently) has photos of the wall - dated !- from the time the house next door was signed over .......right.

From the following planning guide leaflet:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

Can I erect walls, fences and gates?

"Capped walls made of brick, stone or block with a
    decorative finish, railings and wooden fences, but not a
    metal palisade or security fences, can be erected as long as
    they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height in front of your
    house or 2 metres at the side or rear. If the wall is made of
    plain blocks or mass concrete it must be rendered or
    plastered. Gates and gateways may be built or replaced
    providing they do not exceed 2 metres in height. You will
    need planning permission if you wish to make a new or
    wider access to the public road."

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The person next door ( who hasn't been there for 6 or 7 months apparently) has photos of the wall - dated !- from the time the house next door was signed over .......right.
    No, all they need is to have a photo form the last 7 years (plannings acts) or 20 years (time immemorial rule). If there were property transactions, its quite possible someone's surveyor has taken quite a few photos.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. But does anyone else have any more ideas on how to get in touch with the landlord of the house? I would nearly push-on with building the wall myself but don't want the burden and expense of having to knock it down if it became an issue!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. But does anyone else have any more ideas on how to get in touch with the landlord of the house? I would nearly push-on with building the wall myself but don't want the burden and expense of having to knock it down if it became an issue!

Surely the postman (as was already suggested) would be a good starting point. They know EVERYBODY'S business ha ha :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A postman knows every family and every childs name for hundreds and hundreds of houses.
    Well they do in rural areas anyway

Ask him, they know more about the locals then the gardaí do ;)

Like I suggested. I would've thought the only people to give you a definitive answer would be the Local Authority. Call the main switchboard, explain your problem and ask that you be put through to the appropriate department. I would start with the Planning Dept. Someone else also made the suggestion of contacting the Land Registry. Two perfectly logical starting points. Why haven't you tried at least one of them?:confused:

I would stay away from chatting up postmen and the like. They won't be able to give a definite answer as the Local Authority or Land registry would.

I would stay away from chatting up postmen and the like. They won't be able to give a definite answer as the Local Authority or Land registry would.

There is NO reason not to talk to the postman. Ok I would not build a wall based directly on what they tell you but why not do your homework BEFORE contacting the authorities?

wispyman wrote: »
    There is NO reason not to talk to the postman. Ok I would not build a wall based directly on what they tell you but why not do your homework BEFORE contacting the authorities?

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't talk to the postman. The point I was making was to get a definitive answer. Of course you should do your homework before building or doing anything else. It would be foolish not to. Tends to save time and money later...

• Advertisement
Advertisement