Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and Xbox 360 (Yup another one)

• 25-09-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

So yeah recently after switching from Eircom to UPC. Now on the day I got it I connected everything up and it was great. Got the 25mb and everything. Then on day 2 I turned on my xbox, loaded up gears 3, as the game was loading I got disconnected from XBL. I thought...ok...Ill just connect again. No luck. I went to test connection and it said my router wasnt assigning IP addresses automatically. So I changed it to manual...it said my router doesnt use manual IPs...so after a lot of messing about I got it to accept a manual IP. But now it fails on the internet check.
    The odd thing is I can get on the dashboard but cant do anything on it but see what friends are online. So I have a connection. Anybody know how to fix this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Restore it to factory defaults if you have not allready

System Settings -> Network Settings -> COnfigure Network -> Press Right ->Restore to Factory Defaults. Then turn of the console and turn it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Wolfbrand Morro

No that didnt work. It passed all the tests and then when I went to sign in it wouldnt allow it. Then onsecond test its failing on router => Internet. With the error message "Can't access the Internet"

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Call them when I ever had problems the support helped me fix and never had a problem since until the didn't provide to the area I moved to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Got the 25mb and everything.

are your emphasiseing that the 25mb is impressive........well.............I HAVE THE 100MB...........so mine is bigger then yours:cool:

oh and go to your routers menu....enable UPNP..... i usually set my internet up that its the top half auto and bottom setup manually

Oh btw to get into your router go to put http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser bar ......leave login blank and click enter........click the setup tab a few times till it displays all the options (blue links) ........enable UPNP in the advanced settings/options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Just wondering, when you go to network connnections on the 360 and search for wireless; are you seeing any other connnections i.e. eircom xxxx? I had the same problem for quite a while. I had to change the channel that my router was on (to channel 1 I think?). After that no more connection problems

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DeftestFianna

If you dial 1908 the customer service will sort you right out. It's the only part of UPC that is actually good (well broadband is ok but like all other UPC services glitchy):confused::eek::confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Wolfbrand Morro

denballs wrote: »
    Oh btw to get into your router go to put http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser bar ......leave login blank and click enter........click the setup tab a few times till it displays all the options (blue links) ........enable UPNP in the advanced settings/options

I had enabled UpNp a long time ago. I'm not new to this sort of stuff.

Also the reason I regard 25mg so highly is that I used to be with Eircom...

At this point I've tried changing all the settings of the router and nothings worked. The only thing I havent done is ring UPC cause I heard their customer service knows less then your basic techy.

I had enabled UpNp a long time ago. I'm not new to this sort of stuff.

Also the reason I regard 25mg so highly is that I used to be with Eircom...

At this point I've tried changing all the settings of the router and nothings worked. The only thing I havent done is ring UPC cause I heard their customer service knows less then your basic techy.

they have a seperate technical support line, with a sister company who will access your router if needed or speak with you......if you ring upc they will organise the tech guys to look into it or connect you to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

i'm on UPC and never have any problems, would help if you said what router you have,

also did you set up your MAC address for the xbox so your NAT will be open, helps for joining others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

for UPC its nearly always the routers firewall causing the problem.
    disable that and you should be fine, your PC/Laptop should have its own firewalls anyway so you should be fine without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

LanceStorm wrote: »
    for UPC its nearly always the routers firewall causing the problem.
    disable that and you should be fine, your PC/Laptop should have its own firewalls anyway so you should be fine without it.
    Thats a bad idea, you should never disable your routers firewall, the firewall on a router is way more effective than that on a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Make sure the Xbox IP is set to static, its a pain to do i know. Then on the router place that IP into DMZ. Work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Im on UPC and no problems, if you have the old crap belkin router DMZ is the way to go.

I setup static ip, forwarded ports and it works fine. Make sure you do a hard reboot after changing settings on the router.

It does a soft reset but i have had better results doing it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Carlito.

I had the same problem. DMZ'd my consoles IP and still got disconnected every 45 minutes, if I was lucky maybe it would last a good two hours.

I went out to Max Burns, picked up a wired connection for €12.00 and have not been "randomly disconnected" in two months.

Bottom line is - those wireless adapters just don't like UPC routers !

If you can, get a wired connection...if not, I'd try the above but I've gotten no joy from that.

Hope you get it sorted as it's a real pain :(

Advertisement