Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane really on 500k + per year!?

• 25-09-2011 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Read somewhere that MF, who presents 2 shows a week at the weekend on RTE radio 1 (yes, 2 shows per week) is on this sort of money. What the hell? Scandalous if true and it should piss people off big time. How many hours does this woman do for her (2 hour?) shows at the weekend? It may be just me but whenever I tune into RTE on the weekend there always seems to be someone standing in for her on yet another holiday for herself. It's blood boiling stuff, it really is. Time for someone to say stop to this - and with Tubridy and the rest of them. I really don't think given what us mortals are going through Irish people will tolerate much more of this carry on.

What do you think? Can someone please come on and tell us how the likes of Joe Duffy - on similar obscene wages - are deserving of high appreciation of their talents? Joe Duffy likes to have a laugh on Friday on his show. Not alot of people in this country find it too humorous at the present time. But i'd say he is having a good time alright. He won't be worrying about little things like a mortgage. Someone should tell that to some of the goons on his show who ring in and say "ah sure,your one of us Joe".....as if he is living among his flock in Ballyfermot. He is in his fcuk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

how much do you think the likes of Joe Duffy and MF should be on? Bear in mind they've been doing this for years and have a fairly huge following.

Im no way justifying their wages but just wondering what people out there think they should be on, Id probably say €90k would be reasonable for Joe but MF can feck off with her 2 shows a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i'm ringing in to joe duffy about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Marian Finucane is basically one of the biggest hypocrites in Irish history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Just what the hell does somebody like her do all day if she does two shows a week and earns that kind of bread? Actually, I don't even want to know.

But along those lines, I'd much rather take her wages, give them to some smack head and then make him do two shows a week about what he gets up to. There's your bang for your entertainment buck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

darkman2 wrote: »
    Read somewhere that MF, who presents 2 shows a week at the weekend on RTE radio 1 (yes, 2 shows per week) is on this sort of money. What the hell? Scandalous if true and it should piss people off big time. How many hours does this woman do for her (2 hour?) shows at the weekend? It may be just me but whenever I tune into RTE on the weekend there always seems to be someone standing in for her on yet another holiday for herself. It's blood boiling stuff, it really is. Time for someone to say stop to this - and with Tubridy and the rest of them. I really don't think given what us mortals are going through Irish people will tolerate much more of this carry on.

What do you think? Can someone please come on and tell us how the likes of Joe Duffy - on similar obscene wages - are deserving of high appreciation of their talents? Joe Duffy likes to have a laugh on Friday on his show. Not alot of people in this country find it too humorous at the present time. But i'd say he is having a good time alright. He won't be worrying about little things like a mortgage. Someone should tell that to some of the goons on his show who ring in and say "ah sure,your one of us Joe".....as if he is living among his flock in Ballyfermot. He is in his fcuk.

They are not deserving of it. 15-20 teachers, for example, could be employed for the salary which Marian Finucane receives each year - not including her numerous perks such as complimentary restaurant meals, hotel accommodation and so much more from business people who hope she'll give them a plug on her show.

For her €500,000 plus salary per year Finucane is on air for a paltry 4 hours per week, and takes 2-3 months holidays off in the summer. She has no great skill - it's not like she has gone to university for years to become a life-saving brain surgeon, is it? - and plenty of people could do her job just as well for €50,000 per year and be delighted to be on air.

There is no justification for these salaries - particularly none we could give to parents who have lost SNAs for their children in Irish schools, or who have lost carers for disabled or unwell family members or the wide variety of other services which could be restored to Irish people for €500,000 plus per year.

Her salary, as with Duffy's and the rest of them, is quite simply an immoral sum of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yeah grrr, outrage, anger etc.
    She should be strung up by her old grey balls and whipped by Marty Whelan (wearing gimp suit)

Finucane's salary for her 4 hours broadcasting per week (and 3 months holidays) went from €180,507 in 2003 to €570,000 in 2008, according to this.

Joe Duffy's salary rose to €408,889 in 2008, according to this, while Éamon Dunphy's salary rose to €328.051 in 2008 according to the same link.

Other RTÉ salaries (2008):

Ryan Tubridy: €533,333 (€366,867 in 2007).
    Pat Kenny: €950,976 (€630,000 in 2010)
    Miriam O'Callaghan: €301,667
    Derek Mooney: €286,809
    George Hamilton: €219,833
    Seán O'Rourke: €218,656

All ridiculous money. Not one of them is worth more than €100,000. If we're paying, for example, nurses and teachers @ €35,000 each then nobody can tell me that one of these RTÉ presenters is worth 3 nurses or teachers, never mind the 12-20 nurses/teachers that their current salaries could employ. Madness.

We have a right to know when their contracts are up for renewal, and the name of the state employee in RTÉ who is responsible for telling them the terms. At present, RTÉ is more secretive than the Catholic Church about these details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

there are technicians and magagement types out in RTE too who are on immoral amounts of money. No wonder the country is F****d with their greedy elite public service type mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Seanchai wrote: »
    Finucane's salary for her 4 hours broadcasting per week (and 3 months holidays) .

And people try and defend it by saying "Ah but how much time does she spend on preparation on research"

Yes reading a few newspapers must take all week like !

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Elvis is also dead, just in case you havent heard that yet either OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Finucane's salary for her 4 hours broadcasting per week (and 3 months holidays) went from €180,507 in 2003 to €570,000 in 2008, according to this.

Joe Duffy's salary rose to €408,889 in 2008, according to this, while Éamon Dunphy's salary rose to €328.051 in 2008 according to the same link.

All ridiculous money. Not one of them is worth more than €100,000. If we're paying, for example, nurses and teachers @ €35,000 each then nobody can tell me that one of these RTÉ presenters is worth 3 nurses or teachers, never mind the 12-20 nurses/teachers that their current salaries could employ. Madness.

We have a right to know when their contracts are up for renewal, and the name of the state employee in RTÉ who is responsible for telling them the terms. At present, RTÉ is more secretive than the Catholic Church about these details.

You could replace all of those names mentioned above with younger cheaper options and they would present much better value for money. George Hamilton is on a ludacris amount especially. Nobody tunes into a match for a commentator. They could easily get decent freelance commentators to cover the games he does for 1/4 of that. It really is jobs for the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

And the worst of it is, these wind bags pontificate about the state of the nation and give out about politicians. Their hypocracy and delusions are shocking.

When I am king, these will be first against the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Marian Finucane is basically one of the biggest hypocrites in Irish history.

How come, please explain?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

we will all whinge and moan about it just as we do about everything else in this country, but at the end of the day what will we do about it?? sweet feck all.
    These people are "insiders" in just another branch of our rotton to the core establishment. Marian Finucane is in general a pain in the a**e. Joe Duffy a cute conman. Will any of these people give any politican a hard time?
    why should they? the taxpayer pays their wages.
    And George Hamilton on 300k, no wonder he left Ulster television to come here. Most genuine sports minded people would do that job for a pittance.:mad:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why are Prem players paid £100k/week to kick a ball 90mins/wk?:confused:

These presenters like footballers pay more than their way+ for their paymasters. Most generate surplus revenue.

I fyou can do it, do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

but but but if we dont pay them ****loads they will be poached by bbc, itv etc!!!:rolleyes:

RTE should be abolished. Its a closed shop. Unless you know someone or are related to someone its impossible to get a job there.
    Its the perfect example of PS/Semi state nepotism which should be torn asunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

They are paid way too much and so are teachers who only work half the year while we the worker and that's if you have a job get 4 weeks holidays a year for crap wages. Most of the public service don't know how lucky they are but then again they don't live in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sell it off watch the wages plummet then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

We don't pay most teachers and nursed €35k. Most teachers/nurses etc start on wages that are approx. or not a million miles away from €35k but most take home more than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

200motels wrote: »
    They are paid way too much and so are teachers who only work half the year while we the worker and that's if you have a job get 4 weeks holidays a year for crap wages. Most of the public service don't know how lucky they are but then again they don't live in the real world.

ya good man any chance to have a swipe at the teachers this is about marian finucane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why are Prem players paid £100k/week to kick a ball 90mins/wk?:confused:

These presenters like footballers pay more than their way+ for their paymasters. Most generate surplus revenue.

I fyou can do it, do it!

I've heard this exact argument from the mouth of one Mr Pat Kenny in the past regarding high wages.

The big difference is that EPL footballers are paid from private companies who have en interest in finding and keeping the most skillful players in order to succeed in winning the various titles and the money associated with them and maintaining a high following among the fan base who buy tickets, merchandise and pay stupid money to the like of SKY for their live match coverage.
    If clubs don't pay those wages some other club will and income may fall... they effectively sell football and need the most talented individuals to help them maximise profits.

Now to get back on topic, Ms Finnucane is a hypocrite because she will quite gladly sit in her studio if a weekend morning hosting a glorified coffee morning for the great and good of political and cultural Irish life and point fingers at civil service and semi state levels of renumeration whilst she herself takes over half a million p/a from a semi state (in all but name) company...
    But ike I say in all these threads, it's not her's or anyone else getting those wages' faults; if you offered me that money for that amount of work I'd take your hand offf as would anyone else...it's the clowns with their hands on the pursestrings out in Donnybrook that need to be collectively shaken by the necks for passing out such lucrative contracts.
    No-one is going to poach these people...the other indie broadcasters couldn't or wouldn't pay them these rates, even in the good old days.
    But someone said we should do something about it...trouble is we can't...we could choose to not pay the licence and face court time and fines/jail or we could wave a few placards outside the gates...but this can only be tackled by political will and action from the current minister and that measn it won't be because they're all in each other's back pockets (figuratively speaking)...

We don't pay most teachers and nursed €35k. Most teachers/nurses etc start on wages that are approx. or not a million miles away from €35k but most take home more than this.

I said @ €35,000. Teachers start on €27,814 basic plus @ €2000-€3000 on top for various qualifications, according to the ASTI Salary section. Given that all qualified teachers leaving college will start at this level, that's a lot of new teachers who could be financed with the money a single RTÉ presenter is being paid.

Either way, you have completely missed the point: Finucane and her colleagues do not give Irish society back as much as a single good teacher or nurse, and accordingly to do not deserve to be paid a salary 15-20 times more for what amounts to waffling - a position plenty of talented, enthusiastic, attention-seeking egomaniacs would love to do for one-tenth of Finucane's salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

To be fair to the Catholic Church I don't think they are hiding much on this topic

I fyou can do it, do it!

Unbelievable thinking, even as nonsense goes. It's this sort of "fair play if you can get it" gombeenism that had every idiot in Ireland admiring Ahern, Reynolds, Haughey and the rest of the "cute hoor" brigade. :mad:

Peep O'Day wrote: »
    To be fair to the Catholic Church I don't think they are hiding much on this topic

OK, Pedantry wins. Rephrase: At present, RTÉ is more secretive about these details than the Catholic Church would be. Sásta anois? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Government should step in and put a salary cap of let's say 70, 000 a year. Anyone who doesn't like it can feck off and get another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Hootanany wrote: »
    Sell it off watch the wages plummet then.

This is an interesting argument. Does anyone know how much Ian Dempsey, Ray Darcy, Matt Cooper etc earn? What about Grainne Seoige, George Hook or the team from Xposé? What about the "equivalent" in the UK such as Graham Norton, Jeremy Clarkson, Davina McCall? They may be more famous of course, and deal with bigger audiences, but they do fundamentally the same job.

I'm not defending the ridiculous pay that Ms Finucane and her colleagues earn, but I'm constantly amazed at how public debate so quickly idealises the private sector while castigating the public or state-commercial sector. Was it not the greed of private entrepreneurs & banks that destroyed the economy? Seems to me that the wages of Ms Finucane are merely a distraction from what we should be angry about.

Z

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People are ruled by what they adore.Serves you right...you pay a license i don't.We adore gossip mongers and that's all they are.yACKETY YACK MACHINE which we should'nt need if people were doing their jobs properly.

This is true, but only in the very narrow sense. In the widest sense it is the consumer who pays for these ridiculous salaries, whether that be through higher prices for goods & services (because if you follow the money trail that's where the revenue ultimately comes from) or higher taxes / TV Licence fees.

I don't mean to suggest that communism is the answer, because communism, like capitalism does not work in the longer run. If the objective is to raise the standard of living for everybody, while acknowledging that those who work hardest (or have unique skills) should be entitled to a little more than those who don't, then some other, fairer form of economy is needed.

Enough said really.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Zen65 wrote: »
    This is true, but only in the very narrow sense. In the widest sense it is the consumer who pays for these ridiculous salaries, whether that be through higher prices for goods & services (because if you follow the money trail that's where the revenue ultimately comes from) or higher taxes / TV Licence fees.

I don't mean to suggest that communism is the answer, because communism, like capitalism does not work in the longer run. If the objective is to raise the standard of living for everybody, while acknowledging that those who work hardest (or have unique skills) should be entitled to a little more than those who don't, then some other, fairer form of economy is needed.

Enough said really.

Z
    That's socialism,Ireland is such a small speck in the world that it's either capitalism or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Just what the hell does somebody like her do all day if she does two shows a week and earns that kind of bread? Actually, I don't even want to know.

But along those lines, I'd much rather take her wages, give them to some smack head and then make him do two shows a week about what he gets up to. There's your bang for your entertainment buck!

I agree that the salaries paid by rte are outrageous right acrosss the board, and as for the drivel they show celebrity bannisteoir etc don't get me started but to answer you question http://www.friendsinireland.ie/friendsinireland/Main/Home.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Annihilate the license fee!
    Completely privatise RTÉ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I said @ €35,000. Teachers start on €27,814 basic plus @ €2000-€3000 on top for various qualifications, according to the ASTI Salary section. Given that all qualified teachers leaving college will start at this level, that's a lot of new teachers who could be financed with the money a single RTÉ presenter is being paid.

Either way, you have completely missed the point: Finucane and her colleagues do not give Irish society back as much as a single good teacher or nurse, and accordingly to do not deserve to be paid a salary 15-20 times more for what amounts to waffling - a position plenty of talented, enthusiastic, attention-seeking egomaniacs would love to do for one-tenth of Finucane's salary.

Thats questionable. So called front line public servants are overpaid too and to suggest replacing one overpaid RTE presenter with a couple of teachers is not economic. RTE provides a service in keeping the nation informed on the issues of the day in a fairer way then most of the press, which is a very valuable. I've said this before, government has to have more priorities than health. Sure couldn't we close all the parks and amenities around the country and use the money saved for more nurses?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

washman3 wrote: »
    we will all whinge and moan about it just as we do about everything else in this country, but at the end of the day what will we do about it?? sweet feck all.
    These people are "insiders" in just another branch of our rotton to the core establishment. Marian Finucane is in general a pain in the a**e. Joe Duffy a cute conman. Will any of these people give any politican a hard time?
    why should they? the taxpayer pays their wages.
    And George Hamilton on 300k, no wonder he left Ulster television to come here. Most genuine sports minded people would do that job for a pittance.:mad:

I know I'm not the only one that turns over to english tv for commentary because he's far from the best in the business. didn't realise he's on these wages, simply ridiculous.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I like Marian Finucane's show :(

However, it is a silly salary to be paying the top RTÉ presenters. It's simply not a justifiable amount, though there effectively isn't a whole lot we can do to change it. The top presenters in most countries would take home a huge salary. Par for the course really.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    I've heard this exact argument from the mouth of one Mr Pat Kenny in the past regarding high wages.

The big difference is that EPL footballers are paid from private companies who have en interest in finding and keeping the most skillful players in order to succeed in winning the various titles and the money associated with them and maintaining a high following among the fan base who buy tickets, merchandise and pay stupid money to the like of SKY for their live match coverage.
    If clubs don't pay those wages some other club will and income may fall... they effectively sell football and need the most talented individuals to help them maximise profits.

Now to get back on topic, Ms Finnucane is a hypocrite because she will quite gladly sit in her studio if a weekend morning hosting a glorified coffee morning for the great and good of political and cultural Irish life and point fingers at civil service and semi state levels of renumeration whilst she herself takes over half a million p/a from a semi state (in all but name) company...
    But ike I say in all these threads, it's not her's or anyone else getting those wages' faults; if you offered me that money for that amount of work I'd take your hand offf as would anyone else...it's the clowns with their hands on the pursestrings out in Donnybrook that need to be collectively shaken by the necks for passing out such lucrative contracts.
    No-one is going to poach these people...the other indie broadcasters couldn't or wouldn't pay them these rates, even in the good old days.
    But someone said we should do something about it...trouble is we can't...we could choose to not pay the licence and face court time and fines/jail or we could wave a few placards outside the gates...but this can only be tackled by political will and action from the current minister and that measn it won't be because they're all in each other's back pockets (figuratively speaking)...

I would expect that most would know that there are significant categories of semi-states. RTE belongs to the category of commercial (ie revenue generating) , I suppose like ESB, Bord Gais and a host of other etc. What makes me laugh, is the ignorant criticism of individuals and referring to them or their masters as clowns. Well if they are as you suggest clowns, why aren't you or the many moaners like you not working there? Yes I get it, you don't have the interest to do a clown's job?

If you want to get at the truth do a bit more homework.

BTW, far from it, I'm no big fan of RTE. If it is to be privatised we can expect more of the same crappy stations which already populate the airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

darkman2 wrote: »

The epitome of all that is wrong in this country. A radio presenter can earn more than the Taoiseach, who in turn earns more than the president of the USA. Throw in a bunch of civil servants, "professionals" and public sector scams and you arrive at - hey presto - an €18bn deficit.No wonder the place is fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I would expect that most would know that there are significant categories of semi-states. RTE belongs to the category of commercial (ie revenue generating) , I suppose like ESB, Bord Gais and a host of other etc. What makes me laugh, is the ignorant criticism of individuals and referring to them or their masters as clowns. Well if they are as you suggest clowns, why aren't you or the many moaners like you not working there? Yes I get it, you don't have the interest to do a clown's job?

BTW, far from it, I'm no big fan of RTE. If it is to be privatised we can expect more of the same crappy stations which already populate the airwaves.

I believe, as many others do, that a lot of those in RTE are there through nepotism and favours. It's who you know, not what you know.

I for one can't stomach Derek "Ooooooooohh" Mooney. Or Ryan 'The Stick Insect' Tubridy. The only time I watch RTE 1 is when the news is on.
    One good thing about RTE is that their programming is fresh. I mean, Knots Landing is on from 03:15 to 04:55 tonight.:rolleyes:
    Celebrity Bainisteoir is on atm. Not that I would watch THAT. Awful awful awful.
    And then there's the Angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What makes me laugh, is the ignorant criticism of individuals and referring to them or their masters as clowns. Well if they are as you suggest clowns, why aren't you or the many moaners like you not working there? Yes I get it, you don't have the interest to do a clown's job?

I don't have the interest...no, more like I don't have the personal contacts or the relations to get into the kind of position that these people get in to...I'm just one of the plebs and couldn't negotiate my way out of a plastic bag, but that doesn't mean I don't know good value for money when I see it...the type of people who award Finucane et al with their salaries are themselves cosseted and overpaid and know neither the value of the money they blow on these middle of the road presenters nor how hard it is to actaully come by that money in the first place. So I feel the term "clowns" is pertinent here...if not in the true sense of the word, since they don't realy do comedy out in Montrose either. The joke is on the licence payer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

has anyone here go any genuine ideas on how to highlight this?

Seriously, RTE will never cover this topic in a news bullitin unless there's a huge protest or something. . . .

Any ideas folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Wertz wrote: »
    I don't have the interest...no, more like I don't have the personal contacts or the relations to get into the kind of position that these people get in to...I'm just one of the plebs and couldn't negotiate my way out of a plastic bag, but that doesn't mean I don't know good value for money when I see it...the type of people who award Finucane et al with their salaries are themselves cosseted and overpaid and know neither the value of the money they blow on these middle of the road presenters nor how hard it is to actaully come by that money in the first place. So I feel the term "clowns" is pertinent here...if not in the true sense of the word, since they don't realy do comedy out in Montrose either. The joke is on the licence payer.

I can understand Arthur Mathews and Graham Linehan 'not' approaching RTE with the idea for Father Ted. Not the most progressive station. It was definitely suited to Channel 4 or BBC 2. Perhaps they knew of all the inbreeding out in Montrose. :P

What's the current situation with the salaries of RTÉ presenters? Well, I wanted an answer so off I went to Google.

Before Fine Gael got into government:

1. "Fine Gael has pledged to cap the salaries of all RTÉ management and presenters to a maximum of €200,000 as outlined in its Reinventing Government strategy document published last weekend. It recommends that all salaries in the semi-State sector should be capped at that level." (The Irish Times, 10 November 2010)

After Fine Gael got into government:

"THE SALARIES of RTÉ’s top presenters are to be cut by more than 30 per cent from their peak in 2008, the organisation’s director general Noel Curran has said." (The Irish Times, 10 June 2011)

Finucane earned was paid €570,000 in 2008. Minus 30% (€171,000) means Finucane should be earning €399,000 now. So, Finucane will be paid almost precisely twice the amount of money as Fine Gael said, before it got into power,would be the maximum paid to an RTÉ presenter, i.e. €200,000. And presumably that 2010 €200,000 salary cap would apply to Kenny, the highest paid RTÉ presenter, and Finucane would have had a salary of @ €150,000 rather than the €400,000 which she has been given.

Of course we are not told if these cuts have been implemented straight away, something which is unlikely. We are given no timeline for their implementation. What is RTÉ hiding? We are, however, told by the RTÉ Director General, Noel Curran, that RTÉ presenters will not have to endure any further pay cuts. So it looks like Marian Finucane will still be getting at least €400,000 per annum for her 4 hours per week radio show which she presents for a paltry 8-9 months per year. €400,000! :mad:

Well done to Fine Gael for yet another broken election promise. Spineless, spineless politicians trying to keep their "friends" in the media happy for fear of bad press. There could be a book written already about all these broken promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does anyone know when Finnucane first started broadcasting on RTE radio and how much was she being payed then?
    Or any of the RTE heavy hitters for that matter?
    Did their wages start off really big and increase bit by bit steadily or was it smaller wages to start with and huge raises every few years?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The epitome of all that is wrong in this country. A radio presenter can earn more than the Taoiseach, who in turn earns more than the president of the USA. Throw in a bunch of civil servants, "professionals" and public sector scams and you arrive at - hey presto - an €18bn deficit.No wonder the place is fcuked.

Good post. An update on the civil servants is that there was a small story in yesterday's Irish Times saying that there are a further four civil servants who will be entitled to a €700,000 retirement package like Dermot McCarthy's package because the revised pension and retirement packages for senior civil servants have not yet been implemented by - you guessed it - senior civil servants. If you don't laugh you'd cry.

Civil Service chiefs still entitled to payoff deal

Freddie59 wrote: »

There's any number of Hollywood actors who earn more for a single film than the US President earns all year. The problem is not Irish in origin, nor is it a "public servant" issue; it's a product of media industry whereby if you can attract a large TV or radio audience your worth is measured not by how well you do the job but by the potential value of the advertising revenue that can piggy-back on your name. Only the big name celebrities will catch our attention nowadays and interrupt our busy schedules as we tirelessly work to earn the money to pay the prices now necessary for our essential needs and luxuries. Those prices are driven up by so many factors including the greed for exorbitant profit, the cost of advertising (which is driven up by the need to pay massive fees to the celebrities who advertise the products, etc).

We have become a tabloid society and we are treated to that low level of disdain which such societies have come to accept. Serious issues of politics are discussed in sound-bite media-friendly sentences, with the truth being twisted and distorted to evoke the public ire and get people texting into radio stations & TV stations - great revenue for the sponsors.

Maybe I'm becoming too cynical for this world?

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MF spends most of her show coughing and spluttering and is a very poor presenter. Its time to get rid of these old fogies.

Its time to get rid of these old fogies.

Let's not be ageist here!

We might just agree that RTE should eliminate their high-cost presenters who no longer have the same pulling power they once had.

(Because they're old)

Z

Thats questionable. So called front line public servants are overpaid too

The figures I gave you for a newly qualified teacher's salary are not questionable. They are fact. You were provided with the link to see yourself. What do you have to counter the figure I gave?
    RTE provides a service in keeping the nation informed on the issues of the day in a fairer way then most of the press, which is a very valuable.

I, for one, am not saying otherwise. But most people agree that the service in question can be provided for much cheaper than the current set of RTÉ presenters are doing it. None of them have any unique talent in broadcasting terms. Even Pat Kenny, who despite all the crap he gets is head and shoulders above all others when it comes to being informed about political and economic issues, is not worth more than €150,000. The bad value we are getting from paying these salaries, not the principle of public service broadcasting, is the important point which you seem to be overlooking here.

Completely privatise RTÉ!

The most ridiculous idea ever when it comes to RTÉ. The idea of an O'Reilly, O'Brien or Murdoch being in charge of RTÉ is one no democrat could tolerate given their proven interference in the democratic systems of their respective countries.

RTÉ overall does a very good job and has some of the best, most informative and stimulating programmes on Irish radio. Whether it's Sounds Traditional in the evening, John Kelly on Lyric FM, Morning Ireland, Philip King on South Wind Blows, the increasingly superb Documentary on One and numerous other shows RTÉ uniquely enriches radio and Irish culture.

All of these shows, however, can be (and many are) done to the same standard by people earning well under €100,000 per year. Given this, the obscene salaries of current RTÉ "stars" like Finucane are wholly unwarranted.

It's probably time we had a public enquiry to determine what if any the State's role in RTE? Perhaps a trade sale, re-develop the lands at Montrose and relocate a mini public broadcasting unit to some hut near the GPO.

Just sit back and wait for all the disenfranchised moan about having no more free to air GAA, FAI, IRFU, Gaelgoory delights etc.

That will be some show not to miss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement