Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane really on 500k + per year!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: Joe Duffy and his wages,

A few quick calculations for his on-air, actual presenting time (and yes I know that he probably does off-air time etc).

Time on air each day: 75mins.
    Time on air each week: 375mins.

Time on air each yr: 375 x 52 = 19500 (and that's not allowing for his holidays).

Yearly salary, approx €400,000 / 19500 = €20.50 per min. Per minute folks !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I think RTE are justified in paying Marian that kind of money, if they don't then TV3 might snap her up for a series of
    IRELAND UNCOVERED: UNDERCOVER IN A RUSSIAN BROTHEL

and then where would we be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Finucane and Duffy are establisment goons. Don't underestimate the power of brainwashing towards the sheeple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: Joe Duffy and his wages,

A few quick calculations for his on-air, actual presenting time (and yes I know that he probably does off-air time etc).

Time on air each day: 75mins.
    Time on air each week: 375mins.

Time on air each yr: 375 x 52 = 19500 (and that's not allowing for his holidays).

Yearly salary, approx €400,000 / 19500 = €20.50 per min. Per minute folks !!

you forgot to compute when Joe's in the loo, thinking how to give you more excitement value ?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

200motels wrote: »
    They are paid way too much and so are teachers who only work half the year while we the worker and that's if you have a job get 4 weeks holidays a year for crap wages. Most of the public service don't know how lucky they are but then again they don't live in the real world.

:rolleyes:

I'm not a teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

She still has the same gombeen sh1ts on every week even though we've huge numbers of new blood in the Oireachtas thanks to the last election.

Time to update the address book ya 'oul bat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

These wages are disgusting to hear. I a way I'm glad I don't have a TV license:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

They are paid way too much and so are teachers who only work half the year while we the worker and that's if you have a job get 4 weeks holidays a year for crap wages. Most of the public service don't know how lucky they are but then again they don't live in the real world.

+1. Its the ordinary person, the taxpayer, the net contributers to the government /state, who are giving the state + semi-state employees considerably better pay and pensions than they themselves get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Seanchai wrote: »
    Not one of them is worth more than €100,000. If we're paying, for example, nurses and teachers @ €35,000 each then nobody can tell me that one of these RTÉ presenters is worth 3 nurses or teachers, never mind the 12-20 nurses/teachers that their current salaries could employ. Madness.

Well said and what value/benefit does this talentless, unskilled, overrated gobshyte bring to society? Nothing of course, yet those professions that exist to serve society are cut to the bone.

• Advertisement

MF spends most of her show coughing and spluttering and is a very poor presenter.
    smokers cough. and we are paying for it.

thank god for other stations to listen to. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FurryFace

It's not that much really for a household name star radio presenter.
    Think what they'd get in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

She deserves every penny the poor dear. Having to work in the same building as tubbs etc

FurryFace wrote: »
    It's not that much really for a household name star radio presenter.
    Think what they'd get in the US.
    the usa has nearly 80 times the population. ...not to mention being a G7 industrialised nation instead of an IMF banana republic.

pay her a 80th of the salary of a household name in the usa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

I said @ €35,000. Teachers start on €27,814 basic plus @ €2000-€3000 on top for various qualifications, according to the ASTI Salary section. Given that all qualified teachers leaving college will start at this level, that's a lot of new teachers who could be financed with the money a single RTÉ presenter is being paid.

Either way, you have completely missed the point: Finucane and her colleagues do not give Irish society back as much as a single good teacher or nurse, and accordingly to do not deserve to be paid a salary 15-20 times more for what amounts to waffling - a position plenty of talented, enthusiastic, attention-seeking egomaniacs would love to do for one-tenth of Finucane's salary.

Teachers don't start on that anymore, plus the bonuses are gone for education. Having a 1st honours degree you still get paid the same as someone with a pass degree. Have a masters, still get the same as someone with a pass degree. Its the old permanent teachers who are overpaid.

And to all the people defending these wages, seriously grow up. RTE is losing millions each year and workers are being let go to reduce the deficit, who will then claim social welfare, while these presenters get paid these ridiculous wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

How much do advertisers pay rte for slots on her show? That'll tell you if she "earns" it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Teachers don't start on that anymore, plus the bonuses are gone for education. Having a 1st honours degree you still get paid the same as someone with a pass degree. Have a masters, still get the same as someone with a pass degree. Its the old permanent teachers who are overpaid.

According to this, you are very mistaken with your above comments. See under 'Academic Qualifications' and then 'Either of the allowances (a) or (b) may be held together with any one of the allowances (c) to (g).'

The jist of what you're saying is, however, very much correct: a teacher who began his career after January 2011 starts on €27,814 basic. A teacher who started before that date started on €33,041 basic. If that post January 2011 teacher had a 1st/2nd class honours degree he would get an additional €4,426. The teacher who began before January 2011 got €4,918 for the same qualification.

Total: In this example, a teacher beginning his career after January 2011 starts on a total of €32,240. A teacher who started before January 2011 had a starting salary of €37,959. In other words, the starting salary of a new teacher has declined by €5719 per annum, or 15%, which is a big kick up the arse for new teachers.

To bring all this back to the thread title:
    €570,000/€32,240 = 17.7. Almost 18 newly qualified teachers could be employed in Irish schools for what this state is paying one Marian Finucane. Finucane's salary is thoroughly indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

3DataModem wrote: »
    How much do advertisers pay rte for slots on her show? That'll tell you if she "earns" it.

If you had any reasonably fluent speaker on at the same time, I suggest that the listening figures would be pretty much the same. Likewise with Duffy's time slot. There's no great, rare skill that these people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

How come, please explain?:confused:

Seriously?

Here's a woman who spends her 4 hours of airtime complaining about the state of the country, our financial issues, how TD's are over-payed. But she's earning a stupid amount of money for her pathetic amount of work time.

And don't try claiming she spends a lot of time researching, because they actually employ people to do that for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

She, like many other public sector workers, are clearly worth the money otherwise a decision to pay them that much wouldn't have been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Tell me this.

At work, can you go to the toilet when you want?
    Have you ever been bitten in the workplace?
    Have you ever been spat at?
    Have you ever had the responsibility for the well being and safety of over 30 children of different personality and ability, as well as their education?

If not, then try it sometime. Then get back to us here and tell us that teachers overpaid and given too much holidays.

Can't believe teacher bashing has made it into a Marion Finnucane thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

kraggy wrote: »
    Tell me this.

At work, can you go to the toilet when you want?
    Have you ever been bitten in the workplace?
    Have you ever been spat at?
    Have you ever had the responsibility for the well being and safety of over 30 children of different personality and ability, as well as their education?

If not, then try it sometime. Then get back to us here and tell us that teachers overpaid and given too much holidays.

Can't believe teacher bashing has made it into a Marion Finnucane thread.

Im not going to comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I have the solution.

Get Mario Rosenstock to cover all their shows. He can do anyone. RTE could 'consolidate' all their current wage outgoings into one smaller wage. Simple. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

gigino wrote: »
    the usa has nearly 80 times the population. ...not to mention being a G7 industrialised nation instead of an IMF banana republic.

pay her a 80th of the salary of a household name in the usa.

Phil Spector is a household name in the US. He is on about $24 salary per month. "here's your new contract marian, €2.69 per annum"

Seems fair. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

For her €500,000 plus salary per year Finucane is on air for a paltry 4 hours per week,
    to be fair it may not be as simple and straight forward as that. There is prep work involved in presenting a show, so she may be working a full 9 - 5, 5 day week just to do her 4 hour show.

At the end of the day it's what RTE pay them and if you don't like it just stop watching and listening to RTE. I have and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I have replaced my TV with a "display" and if they try to make me pay for my radio alarm clock that will go in the bin too.

The only way you can effectively protest against these kind of things these days is to stop giving them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

I have only heard the MF Show twice this year, both on the way home from weddings when I couldn't be bothered to change it after the news.

Sunday April 17th 2011: can anyone get this on a podcast? The steam-coming-out-of-my-ears memory is of MF basically saying she's one of us, around 11.45am. Surprised The Herald didn't headline it.

Sunday September 24th 2011: She must have been sitting back having a latte on us during this one...........you can count the number of times she speaks in this first interview.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_marianfinucane.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ScumLord wrote: »
    to be fair it may not be as simple and straight forward as that. There is prep work involved in presenting a show, so she may be working a full 9 - 5, 5 day week just to do her 4 hour show.

So because she does some prep work, for which she has actual assistants who do a lot of the information gathering for her, that justifies a salaray of 500,000Euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the government is looking to sell state assets, then RTÉ should be the first to go. Put it in the hands of a private investor who will get rid of the crappy broacasters (that's 99% of them) and replace them with good heads. Not to mention putting €158 a year back in to most households in the state - or diverting it to the state coffers, whichever they do is better than letting RTÉ have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

The salaries are absolutely obscene. Methinks whatever party takes on this cause though will be met with the rath of these leeches throughout the media.

Public sector salaries should work on an incremental basis and be capped at something like 150k. Some establishment folk will shriek in horror about the best people leaving. To be honest, I can live with Joe Duffy pissing off somewhere else and I don't think there will be a problem filling a spot worth 100k on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Introduce a coughing levy for MF.
    Everytime she coughs during her show we charge her 10 grand.

"roysh *hack-splutter*, roysh *rasp-hack*"
    That's 20,000 please Marian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Sunday April 17th 2011: can anyone get this on a podcast? The steam-coming-out-of-my-ears memory is of MF basically saying she's one of us, around 11.45am. Surprised The Herald didn't headline it.

Same as this post, heard her today discussing the economy,debt forgiveness etc with Eddie Hobbs and others. I thought she was completely disingenuous continually talking about how tough and hard it was out there, people struggling etc etc.

Mariane Finucane more like Marian Toinette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

sdeire wrote: »
    If the government is looking to sell state assets, then RTÉ should be the first to go. Put it in the hands of a private investor who will get rid of the crappy broacasters (that's 99% of them) and replace them with good heads. Not to mention putting €158 a year back in to most households in the state - or diverting it to the state coffers, whichever they do is better than letting RTÉ have it.

If we were to sell the kip, does anyone even know the value of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

*obligatory "'bout three fiddy" post*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If we were to sell the kip, does anyone even know the value of it?
    Yes, a lot less than it was in 2007.

Considering the silly money paid for the Jurys site down the road, what would a considerable chunk of D4 real estate fetch these days anyhow?

I think privatisation would be throwing the baby out with the bath water as we'd end up with an entity like TV3 as the national broadcaster, i.e. we'd have very little indigenous production, especially in drama and the arts in general.

Regarding Finucane, I think the criticism of her remuneration should be levelled at the management of RTE and not her personally. She is an independent contractor entitled to offer her services at what ever rate she can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes, a lot less than it was in 2007.

Considering the silly money paid for the Jurys site down the road, what would a considerable chunk of D4 real estate fetch these days anyhow?

I think privatisation would be throwing the baby out with the bath water as we'd end up with an entity like TV3 as the national broadcaster, i.e. we'd have very little indigenous production, especially in drama and the arts in general.
    Yeah we'd lose so much quality programming! I dont want to live in a world without fair city, winning streak and the angelus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Regarding Finucane, I think the criticism of her remuneration should be levelled at the management of RTE and not her personally. She is an independent contractor entitled to offer her services at what ever rate she can get.

A valid point but what grates as posted before is her trying to give the perception she is in it like the rest of us. Many people are struggling but there are others (haven't got numbers)who are still quite comfortably well off the judiciary being a case in point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Would someone tell that confounded woman to stop saying a croaky " right " after every interviewee's utterance.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

mattser wrote: »
    Would someone tell that confounded woman to stop saying a croaky " right " after every interviewee's utterance.
    I love her croaky utterances! I can just imagine her there in her smoke filled studio, blatantly ignoring the anti-tobacco in the workplace legilslation:P

But seriously did anyone see that interview Marian did with Mike Murphy there a few months back?

Mike: People will look at your salary and say, that's obscene for two days a week
    Marian: I don't think anyone thinks the Sunday papers is a two day job do they? No.

Now, I'm a fan of Marian's but that just seemed so amazingly out of touch. I sit at home reading the papers because I'm unemployed, I don't know if it's an occupation worth a few hundred thousand, Marian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The typical justification for these ludicrous salaries is the advertising revenue brought in during the show ad breaks.

I'd love to see this tested - put a (mute) turnip in front of the mic and you'd probably still get two thirds of the current listenership that these 'stars' get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

pavb2 wrote: »

It is RTE's fault. They should have said to their 'star' presenters during the boom, "well, if you don't want the 100,000 we're paying, go off and get a job with the BBC or whoever". RTE should have called their bluff. The presenters would have taken the 100K, and been grateful. They wouldn't have got jobs in the BBC, and if they did, they wouldn't have been on anything like that 500K salary.

Let's face it, if my employer was prepared to pay me 500K, I'd take it. Who wouldn't? I'm good at my job and would have been easily persuaded that I was worth it. (I am worth it, in fact, but my employer just won't recognise it.)

And yes, I'd quite happily be prepared to sit there being a hypocrite, stashing away large amounts against the inevitable day that it all comes tumbling down. But I'd have provided nicely for my family in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If they paid them a reasonable wage for the work they do would they lose them? I don't think so and where would they go?

I wonder how much the middle class conservative audiences think they're worth?
    If they were paid a lower wage would people really stop paying their license,I think if people could see where their money is going that doesn't consist of outrageous salaries the license would be a little more justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How can someone who sounds like the Cookie Monster with a bad smokers cough be worth so much money :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

weedhead wrote: »
    how much do you think the likes of Joe Duffy and MF should be on? .

Bout Tree Fiddy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

saa wrote: »
    If they paid them a reasonable wage for the work they do would they lose them? I don't think so and where would they go?

BBC, ITV, TV3, Today FM. Take your pick. That's not the really the point though. They generate audiences, which ups the price in ad revenue for their shows, making them more valuable. If your efforts alone generated 1/2 million a year for a bank, insurance firm you'd be on great money aswell. The difference being that they can replace staff with equally as qualified staff. RTE can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

what bothers me is the mischeivious line they trot out defending such wages on their listernship figures.

sorry that RTEs efforts in commisioning the program.

to draw an analogy you dont pay the girl on reception in a major corporation 500K a year.

you pay the CEO that.

which in RTEs case is the DG i suppose or someone in production.

if marrion and co were REALLY worht that money you'd see a differnence when they feck off for MONTHS on end in the listenership figures !

and we dont.

in fact when charlie bird took over her figures went UP, and she took the fecking credit for that

in my opinion i'd pay her and hers the market rate.

which if vincent brown is anything to go by is circa 100k a year or so as he walks away with 56 grand after tax.

and thats for a FULL weeks work.

TBH the only reason things like this are happening at montrose is its a CRIME not to fund the fecking place through the liscence fee.

i cant wait to see what happens to all theses precious darlings when the place gets privatised, particularly with TG4 in the backround doing MUCH better for far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

token101 wrote: »
    BBC, ITV, TV3, Today FM. Take your pick.

These people are virtual unknowns outside of Ireland and BBC and ITV have a huge pool of talent from within their own country to recruit from. Theyre hardly going to be that interested.

TV3, Today FM etc dont have that kind of money (and can recruit from the outside the pretty incestious pool that RTE frequently rely on) . The market for commercial radio is pretty saturated in many parts of Ireland as things stand particularly given their high operating costs and the state of the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

People are just jealous.

Let the MARKET decide how much these people are worth. Obviously, they couldn't pay her 500k per year unless she was worth that much. People want her and they are willing to pay.

It's not like funds to pay these high salaries are taken from tax payers who have no control over it. Right?

Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

No broadcaster outside of RTE would ever offer MF that kind of salary.

A listening audience the size of Marians wouldn't justify that kind of salary.

If anything - I'd like to know what a big UK show host would be on. Someone who would get the same listener figures as Marian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The rte car park in donnybrook is like that of Augusta national. The cars in there are unreal. Overpaid shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

token101 wrote: »
    BBC, ITV, TV3, Today FM. Take your pick. That's not the really the point though. They generate audiences, which ups the price in ad revenue for their shows, making them more valuable. If your efforts alone generated 1/2 million a year for a bank, insurance firm you'd be on great money aswell. The difference being that they can replace staff with equally as qualified staff. RTE can't.
    No other irish broadcaster would pay the ridiculas amounts these RTE prima Donnas get!
    And the British Broadcasters wouldn't touch most of them because they are pure crap!
    And for this we have to pay a licience fee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Robdude wrote: »
    People are just jealous.

Let the MARKET decide how much these people are worth. Obviously, they couldn't pay her 500k per year unless she was worth that much. People want her and they are willing to pay.

It's not like funds to pay these high salaries are taken from tax payers who have no control over it. Right?

Oh wait.

I was reading your post and nearly fell off my chair until I realised you were being sarcastic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement