Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balers choice

• 25-09-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone got that system on their balers.With our weather its getting hard to make good hay.Just looking it up and it seems too good to be true that u can bale hay up to 30 percent moisture and it comes out perfect.I would like to get views on people who have the system.How much does it cost and does it cost much per bale.It would take the stress out of making hay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

There is a good bit about it on the bff . I dont know anyone using it around me but i think its not as good as it sounds from what i read about it the hay needs to be fairly close to hay anyhow or it will still turn to ****e even with balers choice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I did a bit of research on that 4 or 5 years ago as I was making hay for sale back then. You can bale between 25-30% moisture works better at 25%. You have to store the hay before it rains on it as water neutralizes acid and you must keep treated hay away from untreated as the moisture will migrate from treated hay to dry hay. If it is stored too long a period the acid can go off and the hay will heat as it still is 25% moisture. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper wrap bales instead of investing in the applicator and moisture meter and also building a shed to store hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

I did a bit of research on that 4 or 5 years ago as I was making hay for sale back then. You can bale between 25-30% moisture works better at 25%. You have to store the hay before it rains on it as water neutralizes acid and you must keep treated hay away from untreated as the moisture will migrate from treated hay to dry hay. If it is stored too long a period the acid can go off and the hay will heat as it still is 25% moisture. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper wrap bales instead of investing in the applicator and moisture meter and also building a shed to store hay.
    Its not as simple as i thought.just wondering would the hay be just like haylage but without the smell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

pat73 wrote: »
    Its not as simple as i thought.just wondering would the hay be just like haylage but without the smell
    You would have a shed full of lovely green hay, I don't know what it would smell like. There was some fella on donedeal with a baler for hire that was using balers choice during the summer he was around the midlands. It would be interesting to try out a few bales to see what they turn out like.
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Baler%E2%80%99s-Choice-agency-for-JR-Perry-11255.html
    At €3200+VAT you would want to be baling a lot of hay to get the value from it.
    You need to have the moisture meter built into the baler so that it can regulate the flow of acid as it constantly reads the moisture of hay entering the bale chamber. If hay gets too much acid it is a waste, if it doesn't get enough acid you will have pockets of moisture in bales that will heat. A field of hay will not have uniform moisture content so that rules out any simple cheap applicator unless you use a heavier rate of acid and chance it.

Advertisement