Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym advice/reviews Drogheda

Options
  • 25-09-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

With the Bettystown Court closing. I'm now in the market for a new gym so I'm looking for advice and recommendations. For obvious reasons I wont be joining Integral. I popped into Aura on Thursday and wasn't overly impressed. The cardio equipment is top notch BUT there weights and free weights section is very small and the place was VERY busy for a Thursday evening. So where is everyone else a member? Oh and clearly after everything that has happened the last couple of months I'll be going down the monthly direct debt route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Given that Southgate has closed, and Integral own/run 2 gyms in the general area, I'm not sure that there are too many options round Drogheda any more?

To my knowledge there's only Aura, the Boyne Valley, and whatever Jackie Skellys is called now. Even Curves (the ladies gym) has closed on Donore Rd - I don't know if it's just moved or is gone.

I haven't been a member of any of them (I was a southgate member but didn't renew, thankfully!), so can't offer any reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

SFX is fairly good they are across from the lourdes hospital. Beside the petrol garage on hardpans gardens side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Wait now, south gate is closed? Is the bettystown court closing again because summer season is over? And seriously,curves is closed? I used to go there and was half thinkin of re joining. Was never in boyne valley one. Aura then is really the only option but if its going to be really busy,it puts me off. Then again,the hours I work I could be there for 4or so should be quiet enough then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Is in anyone in the Boyne Valley, going to call in tomorrow around 7ish and get a feel for it when its at its busiest. Any members boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Freeweights!!!! sfxGym heaviest d/b and best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 beakymon

Well, what's the story with the Boyne Valley? First impressions?!? Am thinking of joining there also, will have to check it out first but in the meantime am interested to hear what you thought. What membership and standing order/direct debit options do they have? Read here that apparently southgate was due to open in the coming weeks (under new ownership presumably) but haven't really heard any more..

beakymon wrote: »
    Well, what's the story with the Boyne Valley? First impressions?!? Am thinking of joining there also, will have to check it out first but in the meantime am interested to hear what you thought. What membership and standing order/direct debit options do they have? Read here that apparently southgate was due to open in the coming weeks (under new ownership presumably) but haven't really heard any more..

Standard set up, cardio, weights and pool. Oh and a coffee dock. I never really understood the purpose of a coffee dock in a gym. But the were very popular mid nineties. E35 a month, no minimum contract. So signed up. Oh and anyone going to Bettystown Court tomorrow to get there refund. You need to bring your bank details.

Freeweights!!!! sfxGym heaviest d/b and best

Sorry mate to heavy, and the wrong side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

35 euro a month is a decent price with no min contract! tempter by that myself after being ****ed over by southgate!

Price sounds very good! A fraction of what it was a few years ago.
    I know that have a current offer for 2 people, 4 months 250 euro, but would rather pay monthly. Aura is dearer than BV (almost 40 a month) and now compared to what is was a few years ago, which seems a bit incredible. Was the BV busy for a Monday night? What are the staff like? The cheap price makes me a little suscipicious though..My only concern there would be that the hotel and thus the gym would close, considering a receiver was appointed to both last october...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

What part of Drogheda are you from? A good few of the villages around have a gym in their GAA clubs, small enough but the membership is cheap and they're usually quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

What part of Drogheda are you from? A good few of the villages around have a gym in their GAA clubs, small enough but the membership is cheap and they're usually quiet.

which ones?
    I've a feelng there might be one in Lann Leire in Dunleer which would suit me...
    can anyone confirm this?
    Just haven't had the chance to call in yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Value for money - SFX is the best gym in town.

They are located in the old Twin Gyms premises but are moving to a new, bigger site soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fionabk

gipi wrote: »
    Given that Southgate has closed, and Integral own/run 2 gyms in the general area, I'm not sure that there are too many options round Drogheda any more?

To my knowledge there's only Aura, the Boyne Valley, and whatever Jackie Skellys is called now. Even Curves (the ladies gym) has closed on Donore Rd - I don't know if it's just moved or is gone.

I haven't been a member of any of them (I was a southgate member but didn't renew, thankfully!), so can't offer any reviews.

Curves moved premises to Bachelor's Walk, just off Shop Street. I joined last week and handed over €99 for three months membership. Low and behold, i get a text on mon 26th sept to tell me that curves has shut down. Im fuming. Ill be going to the owner (franchise holder,s) address demanding my money back. What a Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I found Aura great, but as a student I used it everyday, during the day, so I never had a problem with it being packed,I can imagine in the evenings it could be different. The pool/spa area is top notch and the classes, spinning etc are great(good numbers and lots of classes)

I used to be a member of bv, it seemed fine, good value, the pool area wouldn't be as good and the classes were virtually none existent when I was there, they have tennis courts though!

sfx & matrix would be good if you're only interested in weights, no swimming/classes etc, proper body building gyms

Might be of interest to anyone looking for a gym to join - Matrix have a deal on groupon.ie 3 months membership for 39euro! Offer closes in a few hours..but looks like a great deal! Haven't been in there yet but photos from website look promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

any gym would be good value at that price!

Might be of interest to anyone looking for a gym to join - Matrix have a deal on groupon.ie 3 months membership for 39euro! Offer closes in a few hours..but looks like a great deal! Haven't been in there yet but photos from website look promising.

cheers!!!! bity weary of joining another gym and was gonna go direct debit in boyne valley but 39 euro for 3 months is a great deal!

Bugger, I've already signed up with the Boyne Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Energie gym in the M1 retail park is great, Its the old jackie skellys, but the new team up there is much nicer and profesional.
    Im on an off peak contract, means I can use the gym in the mornings and early afternoons, Thats for €30 a month, if you want open membership, its about €45 - ish.
    Great gym with heaps of equipment, machine weights and free weights. and about half the gym dedicated to cardio.
    I think its great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

kormak wrote: »
    which ones?
    I've a feelng there might be one in Lann Leire in Dunleer which would suit me...
    can anyone confirm this?
    Just haven't had the chance to call in yet...

Yeah there is one in Dunleer, up at the rec. http://www.lannleirepavilion.com/gym.html

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Yeah there is one in Dunleer, up at the rec. http://www.lannleirepavilion.com/gym.html

Looks a wee bit cramped?!

The got offered €170 for 6 months at Matrix.
    It's a grand gym for equipment, etc.... plenty of cardio machines.
    changing rooms aren't great though, but u get what u pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Just joined Matrix gym directly and they gave me the 39 euro deal for 3 months when I mentioned the ad on Groupon. Think the deal finishes today though.

appleb wrote: »
    Just joined Matrix gym directly and they gave me the 39 euro deal for 3 months when I mentioned the ad on Groupon. Think the deal finishes today though.

what did ya think of it apple? i joined it on groupon but wont get a chance to go in until monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'll be shocked if Matrix is still open in 3 months, let alone 6. No planning permission and owes lots of money (same waster who had to close Westgate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pvt

anyone has been to sfx recently? Is it crowded in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pvt

Just to let you know guys, that sfx gym relocated about 1km further up north. I've been there today. The owner took me around it - it's a decent gym I'd say. The offer I got is 75 euro for 3 months. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Garvalla

Glad to hear that haven't been for a couple of weeks got a shock on Thurs to see it closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Garvalla

can anyone tell me the new location of the sfx
    gym

Advertisement