Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not doing maths.

• 25-09-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Im repeating the leaving after a while of realising the course picked in CIT just was not for me. So Im going back for more points so I can get maybe a course I would like here.

But Im not doing maths.

Ive been told by many people involved in institutions that if I feel its going to take me down, theres no point. I told them my interests, some courses and they basiclly told me its not a problem but of course Im worried.

Is it a must for any course in UCC? Because UCC would be so much more convienient for me instead of CIT as Ive experienced already. I would really like to come here with a few courses in mind but terrified that if I get the points, Im rejected as of no taking in maths.

Its early so I want opinions, I can return to maths but obviously must be soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

What course are you hoping to do in UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ItsChip

If I got the points for Microbiology It would be my first choice but thats high points for me. I would also like Genetics (another high points), Enviromental & Earth System Sciences and Computer Sciences. Theres others that Im sure will come to interest in time but those catch my eye at the moment and I would base my decision on them.

Well if your doing Science then you need to have your Maths up to scratch. Every single first year Science student has a Maths module. As long as you passed it in your Leaving previously I dont see the problem in not doing it.

Ok Thank you, yes I got a pass previously and did not find it too difficult but I did feel I could get more points in a new subject instead this year, which has turned out to be a good decision. Il try to get more information out of UCC themselves and those in my repeat school. Its just I was worried because of the subject choice I could be rejected.

You wont be rejected as long as you have passed it. Hope it all goes to plan and hope to see you round UCC next year! Good luck! :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

ItsChip wrote: »
    If I got the points for Microbiology It would be my first choice but thats high points for me. I would also like Genetics (another high points), Enviromental & Earth System Sciences and Computer Sciences. Theres others that Im sure will come to interest in time but those catch my eye at the moment and I would base my decision on them.

I'm in 2nd year Genetics and like someone else mentioned, every science course has a first year maths module. It's a grand module, pass maths would get you through it fine. Genetics has abit of statistics in it though and we are doing a biostatistics module this year. If you have any questions about genetics in particular, pm me and I'll try and answer them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

computer science: maths is not needed, there is an elective worth 10 credits but its optional :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Barrt2 wrote: »
    computer science: maths is not needed, there is an elective worth 10 credits but its optional :)

True, but it's worth asking: if you struggle with maths are going to be able to do well in computer science?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

True, but it's worth asking: if you struggle with maths are going to be able to do well in computer science?

Didnt consider that, but yeah thats true :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Barrt2 wrote: »

Discrete maths is a 10 credit module in first year, it's just under a different name. Also...as already said, if you struggled with maths, this would be the worst choice of course you could possibly make (with the possible exception of straight maths and physics!) :p.

Advertisement