Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Media Player, HD

Options
  • 25-09-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a cheapish media player that plays MKV, H.264 etc and all the usual XVID, DiVx etc

Anyone recommend one?

I'm looking at the Boxee Box but looking for something a bit cheaper?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I was looking myself lately and this comes recommended....

Western Digital TV Live. (No Harddrive included)
    Supported file formats include AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS and WMV9 for video, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP and PNG for images, MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG and Dolby Digital DTS for audio, SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB and SMI subtitle formats as well as PLS, M3U and WPL playlist formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Bit pricey at over 100euro though, was looking at the Iomega 1TB Screenplay DX

Do you mean this one?

Yea, it looks good.

Decent brand.

Ya I had the basic Screenplay a few years ago that only played Xvid and SD files, and never had a problem with it. Sold it on because I just connect the laptop via HDMI to the TV now, but would like something more permanent.

If I can't find anything cheaper I'll go with the Screenplay DX :)

Ok, €83 delivered from Komplett.ie

I think it's the same one.:confused:

• Advertisement

Supported Digital Video Standards:
    MKV, VC-1, AVI, MOV, XviD, MPEG-4, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB, H.264

Looks like it. Only balls is having to piggy back another drive onto it. I'll have a think! :D

Only balls is having to piggy back another drive onto it. I'll have a think! :D
    But with a built in Harddrive your going to have to move stuff around the whole time connected up to the Laptop.

I think it's handier just to have the player myself.

Once I put something on an external it stays there.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Apologies for resurrecting the thread, but I've been looking for something similar, and I've also come across the following:

Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2 Media Player

Designer Habitat Nano 3.0

Sony SMPN100B USB Media Player with Built-in Wi-Fi
    (Product page and specs here)

Seagate GoFlex TV 1080P Media Player
    (Full specs here)

The Sony and Seagate options are naturally better known, but the other three might be worth looking at as well. There's a thread here on HotDealsUk about the Designer Habitat Nano 3.0, that might also be worth looking at. A few people have some choice words to say about the Sumvision players, perhaps not too surprising given their prices, though there are a lot of good Amazon reviews for both all the same.

EDIT: Doing a little more research, there's an updated Sony box coming out now/shortly, the SMP-N200. CNET have a review here. It isn't available on Amazon UK yet, but the US price seems to be around $99.

I'm waiting for the new WD.

Advertisement