Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is he getting enough

Options
  • 25-09-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm sure every new mother asks the same question at some point. I'm breastfeeding my 6 week-old son and I haven't worried about this until now as he's been gaining a healthy weight all along. Over the last week his poo has turned from yellow/orange to green. I didn't take any notice until someone told me that a green poo is considered a hungry poo and I might have to substitute a formula bottle into his diet. Has anyone else had this problem?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If the baby's pop is green then he could be getting too much foremilk (the thinner, less fattening stuff) and not enough hindmilk. Are you changing breasts during feeds? Perhaps feed from just one breast for a while to make sure he's emptying it and getting the hindmilk. Also you'll go through a growth spurt at 6 weeks which may also be a factor.

Dr Jack Newman and Kellymom are great sources of information for problems like this and 99.9% of the time you'll find a breastfeeding solution to a breastfeeding problem on either/both website. Formula and top ups should always be considered the very last resort in these situations but unfortunately in Ireland it's considered the only solution. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MelanieB

I was told by a lactation consultant when I had the same problem to feed for longer as How strange recommended. I have only ever fed from one breast at a time each time. Try not to get too absorbed with the colour of poo though, if they're hungry, they'll give you a yell and you'll feed them. Its really the regular wet nappies and/or lethergy you need to worry about. It takes several weeks for both of you to get used to feeding and then they have growth spurts to ruin it all! Just feed as required and try and get some rest when you can. :)

Also it's good to feed on cue rather than to a routine especially in the early weeks. They fall into their own routine around 12 weeks but the 'rules' about feeding every 4hrs etc dont apply to breastfed babies. You may find your baby likes to feed a lot in the evening which can be draining for you but its helping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

dangerd wrote: »
    I didn't take any notice until someone told me that a green poo is considered a hungry poo and I might have to substitute a formula bottle into his diet.

You'll notice after a while that the solution to every breastfeeding problem is to give the baby a bottle:rolleyes:.

If he is hungry, you'll know as he'll be looking for more! As others have suggested, make sure he is emptying each breast. It takes a while to get used to breastfeeding and remembering which boob he fed from last, but it becomes second nature in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

dangerd wrote: »
    ...someone told me that a green poo is considered a hungry poo and I might have to substitute a formula bottle into his diet. Has anyone else had this problem?
    :confused:

As someone who b/fed both of my girls (the first for about 7 months and the second for about 9 months) I have *never* heard this. Sounds like another case of misinformation.

My gut reaction would be that your child's having green poos b/c of what (not how much) he's eating. Think about your diet over the last week...as you've relaxed into the b/feeding routine, have you introduced something into your diet that you may not have eaten since your child's birth? Broccoli and leafy greens have the tendency to turn your baby's poo greenish and is not in any way a bad thing.

As the other posters have said, you will know if your child's not getting enough b/c he'll be looking for more frequent & longer feeds. Also, again as already said, a lot is going on hormonally and growth-wise at 6 weeks, so the last thing I'd be thinking is that he's not getting enough just b/c his poos are green.

• Advertisement

Ayla, my public health nurse told me the very same thing! She said it would be a sign that he was ready for solids. He had one green poo nappy but I trusted my instincts and saw that my baby was very satisfied on breastmilk alone so just continued breastfeeding him. It was only afterwards I read what a green nappy is really a sign of.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dangerd

Thanks for all your feedback girls it's made me feel a lot more at ease. It was actually my public health nurse that said this to me. I wasn't to worried about it before she mentioned it.

I thought it might be too much foremilk when I googled it as he has some of the symptoms but I wasn't sure how to solve it. I've always fed from one breast at each feed and just left him on until he came off himself or fell asleep. Not sure how to tell if it's completely empty though.

The only new thing I've introduced to my diet is goats yogurt as I was told dairy can cause wind. He has always fed heavily in the morning and evening every hour or two which is hard work but I can't complain as he sleeps right through the night most nights. Fingers crossed that continues :) .

I have noticed the bottle I express at night separates in the fridge and there isn't as much of the creamy milk on top as there used to be even though I express until it's empty.

Do you have an oversupply and a strong letdown? I'm most definitely not an expert but I had both and only learned afterwards that me eating dairy etc made no difference. If you have an oversupply you could try nursing from the one breast for 2-3 feeds. you could also pump just a little before each feed (and only a little do you're not making even more milk) to activate the letdown and the put your son on to nurse. You'd have to be careful for about a week as you'll get engorged but your supply would adjust after a week.

Also you may want to consider a dreamfeed or two during the night if the above doesn't sort the problem. I know it's fantastic to have a good sleeper but nightfeeding is quite an important part of breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MelanieB

I had exactly the same problem first time round How Strange, oversupply and strong letdown. Excellent advice :) I didn't do the pumping but I did feed at night and that seemed to work for me.

Also just to add don't stress too much. You're doing a great job and he's gaining weight. His system is still so young but over the next few weeks he'll be better able to handle too much foremilk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement