Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stanley stove in a timber frame house: no chimney

• 25-09-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all i have an electric fire in a stud wall in a timber frame house which i was hoping to take out and replace with a solid fuel burning stove, a few questions??

1. i've looked at the online manual for the stove i'm interested in and it gives the clearences to combustible materials. Needless to say i don't have those clearences as it will be in a stud wall. If i surround the alcove that the stove will be in with a non-combustible plasterboard does this cover the regulations and negate the need for the clearences?

2. the back wall of where the stove will be going is the outside wall of the house i presume single leaf block dashed on the outside, is it ok to just run the flue pipe for the stove straight out from the back and then clip it to the wall on the outside the whole way up the gable?

3. it also says in the manual that the hearth should extend 18 inches in front of the stove does anyone know if this is a recommendation or a regulation? the room isn't huge and this would look terrible.

sorry the post is so long but if anyone has any info i'd really appreciate it

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scropmc

anybody out there please???

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

scropmc wrote: »
    3. it also says in the manual that the hearth should extend 18 inches in front of the stove does anyone know if this is a recommendation or a regulation? the room isn't huge and this would look terrible.

I remember reading something like that when installing our solid fuel stove and I believe it was a building regulation. Pity the guy didn't tell us that when we were buying the granite hearth for the stove to sit on. You will need a good bit of space in front of the stove to catch things if (when) they fall out so we just tiled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I thought every house was required to have a Chimney !

(no help to scropmc I'm afraid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

prospect wrote: »

Nope. If anything they're frowned upon nowadays due to BER, you can't really get airtightness with an open hearth.

OP, I'm not qualified to speak but I don't think your idea is viable and could cause you more problems down the line.

The flue pipe needs to be well insulated to prevent the hot gases cooling too quickly and leaking back down the flue. Cooling also causes soot and tar (Burning wood tends to give off more tar) to be deposited on the inside of the pipe and this can be a fire hazard.

You'll also have to ensure the flue is high enough to achieve adequate draught. This would usually mean running it up above the ridge and therefore you'll need to have it far enough out from the wall to clear the facia. A hot flue and pvc facia is not a good combination imo.

I can't imagine a heavily clad flue pipe would be too pretty either.

Have you considered a wood-pellet stove. The flue is force vented which means you don't need a chimney draught and it can be vented horizontally too. The stove is sealed so it shouldn't affect the building air-tightness.

I'm not sure if you need a hearth with a pellet stove, all the burning takes place in a small chamber inside so the chances of falling embers is negligible I guess, even if you open the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scropmc

thanks for the help guys i'm still scratching my head a bit i might have to get a pro to have a look and see what they think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I have a stanley cooker in a timber framed building and in a section of the timber framed wall I put in a block wall behind the stove with a stainless steel chimney going out through it.

I've also seen a stove put in the middle of a room and an insulated chimney taken straight up through the flat roof.

It can be done but needs some thought to do safely and that costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I have a stanley cooker in a timber framed building and in a section of the timber framed wall I put in a block wall behind the stove with a stainless steel chimney going out through it.

I've also seen a stove put in the middle of a room and an insulated chimney taken straight up through the flat roof.

It can be done but needs some thought to do safely and that costs.

I think that this would be the way to do it, something like a bauhaus design when the chimney contributes to the heating load of the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

prospect wrote: »

We have a 2004 build Timber Framed Bungalow and no Chimney..

Oil fired central heating and a gas inset fire in the living room - Flueless

Advertisement