Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

The other half and I usually only travel home to Ireland a day or two before Christmas, so I usually spend Christmas Eve panic buying everyone's presents. Then I meet my family for a bit of dinner somewhere before going for a few games of snooker with the Dad and brothers, while the missus meets up with her family

Then it's back to whichever set of parents' house we're staying at to panic-wrap all the panic-bought presents, before relaxing by the fire with a few drinks and snacks and hopefully a nice film on de telly, or the Father Ted Christmas Special! Then it's off to bed "or else Santa won't come".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We don't really do anything special.
    It's normally the night we open the Roses (I know-hardly exciting but I guess that's *our* little tradition...we don't eat Roses or any other tinned sweets at any other time before Christmas so Christmas Eve is the night).

We also will have a nice dinner, maybe a home-made curry or a takeaway for a special treat, followed by a few glasses of wine and we watch a festive film. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Buy my wife and kids new Pjs and slippers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    .....Joseph? :D

Damn, worth a shot anyway. ;)

I'm telling you, one day I'm going to be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Meet my mate best for a fry up every Christmas Eve morning and then go off shopping. Since I got married myself and my wife have a tradition of making chocolate truffles for our neighbour. On a diet at the mo so might have to give them a miss this year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's Christmas, treat yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

We sing carols around the tree with the only light in the room coming from the tree itself. Really sets the mood for the big day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Town for frantic last minute shopping with the family, pints in doheny and nesbitts, back to parents for dinner, movie, too much chocolate and wine, then to bed awaiting Santa. The eldest in our house is 34 and 4 of us are married but we still do Santa for the 18 year old :)

Baba with us this year and two with bumps.... Cannot wait I love Christmas Eve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Digs wrote: »
    Town for frantic last minute shopping with the family, pints in doheny and nesbitts, back to parents for dinner, movie, too much chocolate and wine, then to bed awaiting Santa. The eldest in our house is 34 and 4 of us are married but we still do Santa for the 18 year old :)

Baba with us this year and two with bumps.... Cannot wait I love Christmas Eve!!

Christmas Eve, for me, is more special than Christmas Day: I think it's the anticipation and the wonder and the unknown. D'ya know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

fussyonion wrote: »
    Christmas Eve, for me, is more special than Christmas Day: I think it's the anticipation and the wonder and the unknown. D'ya know what I mean?

Completely agree! Kind of goes back to when we were kids and were convinced we could see Santa's sleigh in the sky....... Something so magical about Christmas Eve :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Digs wrote: »
    Completely agree! Kind of goes back to when we were kids and were convinced we could see Santa's sleigh in the sky....... Something so magical about Christmas Eve :)

yes here, here. I think people in towns seem to have more social traditions than the country, because you cant just tip into the pub and have a few pints without a rigmarole of cabs, so I usually don't go near the pub Christmas eve. living and working on a farm , xmas eve is treated just the same as any other day, plenty of years I actually forgot it was xmas eve, then u remember again and a lil smile creeps over the face.

we don't really have a tradition, just put a candle or two in the window upstairs, then watch the telly, pretty much same as any other night.! just before I head to bed though I like to open the window and just listen with the light off, I dunno but theres just something magic and different about that night, u should try it this year.

up until 4 years ago there were no little ones in the family and we were all late 20s early 30s living seperatly. Have to say for 4 r 4 years xmas nearly died out completely, no tree up til 23rd and we just got presents for the parents not for each other, recession and all! basically xmas was just one day or half day them year. then the next generation came and they literally saved xmas, great excitement again.!

However I live with the parents and find with no children in the house its hard to get too excited about it. I like it for the tv and drinking and food alright but I don't generally get too worked up. Usally put up the tree around the 22nd December and that's about it really. Although th benefit of this is I never suffer January blues because its just business as usual only I like jan because you can see a good stretch in the eveings around mid January and you are on the right side of winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yes here, here. I think people in towns seem to have more social traditions than the country, because you cant just tip into the pub and have a few pints without a rigmarole of cabs, so I usually don't go near the pub Christmas eve. living and working on a farm , xmas eve is treated just the same as any other day, plenty of years I actually forgot it was xmas eve, then u remember again and a lil smile creeps over the face.

we don't really have a tradition, just put a candle or two in the window upstairs, then watch the telly, pretty much same as any other night.! just before I head to bed though I like to open the window and just listen with the light off, I dunno but theres just something magic and different about that night, u should try it this year.

up until 4 years ago there were no little ones in the family and we were all late 20s early 30s living seperatly. Have to say for 4 r 4 years xmas nearly died out completely, no tree up til 23rd and we just got presents for the parents not for each other, recession and all! basically xmas was just one day or half day them year. then the next generation came and they literally saved xmas, great excitement again.!

However I live with the parents and find with no children in the house its hard to get too excited about it. I like it for the tv and drinking and food alright but I don't generally get too worked up. Usally put up the tree around the 22nd December and that's about it really. Although th benefit of this is I never suffer January blues because its just business as usual only I like jan because you can see a good stretch in the eveings around mid January and you are on the right side of winter!

I think its really important to take this time of the year to spend some quality time with your family. Spoil each other a bit. Gives you a good boost to the start of the new year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hard to believe we're heading into Christmas 2014 folks, and that's it's been almost a year since this thread was last revived!

So, for the newbies, feel free to keep it going and tell us your Christmas Eve traditions :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

One of my favourite threads in this forum! Great to read all the traditions and I usually revisit the thread from start to finish the week before Christmas! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I finish work on Dec 19th and am going to head up Dublin on the Monday (22nd) for the day. I always love to get back to the county of my birth just before Christmas. This day four weeks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just realised this years traditions are going to be very different from what I've posted before! Spending it with the in-laws, in London, and staying in a hotel.

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

DenMan wrote: »
    I finish work on Dec 19th and am going to head up Dublin on the Monday (22nd) for the day. I always love to get back to the county of my birth just before Christmas. This day four weeks! :D

I'm also finished work on the 19th! I'll raise a toast for the two of us that day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Always book the morning of the 24th off, then manage to get guilted into doing it anyway. There is usually one tiny item that needs to be bought at the last minute that causes untold stress as I battle my way into HMV or wherever and swear next year will be different! Home and make a huge turkey pudding to divide up between thecats and dogs then bake two chocolate cakes for our elderly neighbours. Glass (or 3!) of wine with Mam as we wrap presents, then "midnight" mass at 9pm. Dad makes a lorryload of mulled wine and ham sandwiches (always find this better than the Christmas dinner itself) . Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My OH is Lithuanian, and for them, the big (food) day is Christmas Eve.

The idea is you have 12 different types of food on the table (Water/wine is included as one of your 12), the foods can range from fish (but no meat), fruit, bread etc... and you have at least 1 of everything.

We've done it twice now, and it's actually quite good (gives the belly a good stretch for the following days events)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm also finished work on the 19th! I'll raise a toast for the two of us that day! :)

Thank you! I'll do the same. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Last year we started our first Christmas eve tradition called the Christmas Eve box - we've 3 kids and in it we put in new jammies, a christmas dvd, hot chocolate, a bag of treats and microwave popcorn (butter of course!!) then we snuggle up in front of the fire and watch our movie and have our treats! Our eldest last year, loved getting the Christmas Eve box The others a still a bit young. Before that it's baths and showers for the lot of us (with 3 kids a shower on christmas morning is never going to happen!!) We also have the laptop on so we can track santa on the norad app.

Before that it'll up to to Grannys where she makes the biggest ham on earth and we have batch ham sandwiches. Then to the playground to burn some of that off and so the kids can have a run around to ensure plenty of fresh air = a good nights sleep!

Once the kids are in bed, it's time for a glass of wine and to take all the presents down and arrange them for the kids.

I used to think the best Christmases were when I was a child, but now I know they're as a parent......I swear, the kids are so excited, they almost have me believing......

highly1111 wrote: »
    Last year we started our first Christmas eve tradition called the Christmas Eve box - we've 3 kids and in it we put in new jammies, a christmas dvd, hot chocolate, a bag of treats and microwave popcorn (butter of course!!) then we snuggle up in front of the fire and watch our movie and have our treats! Our eldest last year, loved getting the Christmas Eve box The others a still a bit young. Before that it's baths and showers for the lot of us (with 3 kids a shower on christmas morning is never going to happen!!) We also have the laptop on so we can track santa on the norad app.

Before that it'll up to to Grannys where she makes the biggest ham on earth and we have batch ham sandwiches. Then to the playground to burn some of that off and so the kids can have a run around to ensure plenty of fresh air = a good nights sleep!

Once the kids are in bed, it's time for a glass of wine and to take all the presents down and arrange them for the kids.

I used to think the best Christmases were when I was a child, but now I know they're as a parent......I swear, the kids are so excited, they almost have me believing......

This post makes me want to have kids! Christmas is so much better with them around :)

highly1111 wrote: »

Lovely traditions :)

I'm thinking now actually that I might make a new tradition of having a lovely fry up on Christmas Eve morning - I'll cook it as a treat for the parents (and myself obviously...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This post makes me want to have kids! Christmas is so much better with them around :)

I think it can be just as good if it's just adults who are big children!

leahyl wrote: »
    Lovely traditions :)

I'm thinking now actually that I might make a new tradition of having a lovely fry up on Christmas Eve morning - I'll cook it as a treat for the parents (and myself obviously...!)

Make sure you leave room for dinner! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 floraljill

I usually bring my boys into the Phoenix park with a bag of carrots and feed Santa's reindeer. Then a stroll around the nearest shopping centre at our leisure watching all the panic buying. Home into new pj's watch a festive movie in front of the fire.

Make sure you leave room for dinner! :P

Oh don't worry we don't really have a huge dinner on Christmas Eve, in preparation for the huge feast the following day :P

I can't understand how people eat a huge fry up on Christmas morning before the big Christmas dinner!! :eek:

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh don't worry we don't really have a huge dinner on Christmas Eve, in preparation for the huge feast the following day :P

I can't understand how people eat a huge fry up on Christmas morning before the big Christmas dinner!! :eek:

Ah! I mis-read, I thought the fry was on Christmas morning lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The idea is you have 12 different types of food on the table (Water/wine is included as one of your 12), the foods can range from fish (but no meat), fruit, bread etc... and you have at least 1 of everything.

We've done it twice now, and it's actually quite good (gives the belly a good stretch for the following days events)
    I'm not sure if this is a universal French thing, but in my OH's family, we have the thirteen dish tradition, except it's thirteen desserts! (We also have the big meal on Christmas eve). I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It is actually like that in most, if not all, Continental Europe. Same in Italy; The "big dinner" happens on the evening of the 24; Depending on personal/family preference, there could also be present opening and so on.

Christmas day then is more like a Sunday...sometimes with family reunions, sometimes not. The games however...the games I can't stand :)

Advertisement