Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science courses!

Options
  • 25-09-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Im in 6th year now, and really interested in computer science. I know Java and Objective-C, and I've made about 10 iPhone and Mac apps. Im wondering what colleges / courses you guys would recommend so that I would have the skills to maybe set up an Indie dev company or work as a software engineer. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Im in 6th year now, and really interested in computer science. I know Java and Objective-C, and I've made about 10 iPhone and Mac apps. Im wondering what colleges / courses you guys would recommend so that I would have the skills to maybe set up an Indie dev company or work as a software engineer. Cheers

You sound like to you could set up an indie dev company, or work as a software engineer already. If you are motivated enough to learn Java and to ship 10 iPhone apps in secondary school, you would probably further those goals more with 4 years experience working for others, or trying to start your own company, than you would in college. Therefore, if these are your goals, narrowly defined, maybe do not go to college.

But I would recommend going to college. It is a lot of fun.
    It is a great opportunity to meet people, to grow as a person, and to learn broadly; opportunities that you don't get as much later.
    Its also a great opportunity to learn the fundamentals that underpin whatever you decide to do, and to learn how to learn.
    All of these things may make a better software engineer, or entrepreneur in the long run.

If I was advising myself again (I say this, because people's goals differ so much, its hard to advise others meaningfully), I'd say to do CS or Maths in college, and focus on doing the hard theoretical fundamental learning that underpins a lot of the harder parts of the subject. Also, read and learn broadly; if you want to learn lots about software engineering, read books on it in college; do group projects, part time projects, try apply the skills.

You can learn whatever software frameworks are fashionable, whenever, as you work, and its not that hard.
    Whats hard is building a really solid fundamental foundation, and playing with stuff, and that's what college is for.

Personally I'd suggest considering Trinity. I did the BA CS there, and it was good; looking back, something with more maths content, and less hardware, would have served me better. But its a nice university, and a nice campus, with lots of interesting people around, and that counts for an awful lot. That said, lots of other universities are good too; visit the campus, have a look around, read the course syllabus online, talk to people studying there, etc.

Definitely go to college, if you have the opportunity, its a great experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

As fergalr said, definitely go to college, it's definitely worth it, and even though it sounds crazy, a lot of companies wont pay attention if you apply for a job without having that all-important piece of paper to show them.

You seem to be well capable of handling the course given that most people have no programming experience when they enter a university CS course, so you already have a good advantage there. I just finished my computer science degree in UCD and it was the best time of my life, I am even considering going back to do some post-grad stuff because I enjoyed it so much. UCD has just been awarded the position of #1 Computer Science course in Ireland and is in the top 30 in Europe. Maybe have a look at the computer science site to get a bit of an idea: http://www.csi.ucd.ie/

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to know, and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Joneser wrote: »
    UCD has just been awarded the position of #1 Computer Science course in Ireland and is in the top 30 in Europe.

Wow cool I didn't know that.

Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, but DCU has redbrick - you'll learn more there than in class.

p wrote: »
    Yea, but DCU has redbrick - you'll learn more there than in class.

Yeah that actually looks pretty good... But the telnet and ftp stuff wouldn't work with my mac...

This is gonna be a tough choice!

Also I was looking at Computational Thinking in Maynooth, wont start till 2012 so i would be in the first year of it. Anyone heard anything about that? Supposed to be sponsored by google and ibm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

But the telnet and ftp stuff wouldn't work with my mac...

I don't know whether to point out how wrong this is... Or point out that Redbrick provides neither telnet nor FTP access...

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I don't know whether to point out how wrong this is... Or point out that Redbrick provides neither telnet nor FTP access...

OK yeah that was kinda stupid obviously it could work...

What the hell is it then it seems to be like a weird networking thing that offers hosting???

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I'm pretty sure it's just the website for the networking society in DCU, there is one of these in most universities afaik, at least there is in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What the hell is it then it seems to be like a weird networking thing that offers hosting???
    He's just being pedantic. They offer ssh and sftp(fcp) for terminal access and file transfer, they're just more secure protocols. You can't join through till your a student there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Joneser wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's just the website for the networking society in DCU, there is one of these in most universities afaik, at least there is in UCD.

UCD's one reopened to members today actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Pretty much, we provide hosting, shells accounts, virtual machines, have an IRC server, forums etc.
    Also we have talks/workshops throughout the year and we usually organise a couple of trips to programming competitions and stuff around the place.

Most Universities seem to have one, though I've only really encountered Trinity's and UL's so can't really say much about them.
    UCD's seems to be non-existent according to half the UCD people I know, and fine according the rest >.>

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This isn't really a cool way to respond to someone at the start of their third level, especially when they've already clearly packed in a bunch of experience in other areas.

Bit more respect, aye? Especially from someone who is involved in a college network society.

@taylorconor95: Lots of good advice in this thread, I would only add that it isn't quite as important what college you go to as what you spend your time doing there. One way or another, it's a big chunk of time with access to lots of smart people and good resources.

That said, if I were to rewind the clock I'd follow ferglar's advice, but it seems the people who say this tend to be doing quite well having picked up the more useful maths and algorithmic knowledge afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Think he was refering to PuTTy and WinSCP clients, which are on there download page, commonly used in Windows land.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/services/downloads

There will of course be equivalent clients for other operating systems. I'm pretty sure you will have ssh and scp commands for the Mac installed out of the box. To be used through the terminal, though. There would also be plenty of GUI applications though if you feel more comfortable with those.

Advertisement