Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Algae

Options
  • 25-09-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I don't mind a bit of algae for the snails to eat, but it's growing off the top of my bubble tube (the biube has a central bubble tube that reaches to about 2" under the waterline) and looks pretty bad. Cos of all the bubbles the snails won't eat there. I've been pulling it off but that's not doing much. If I dip it in some boiling water next time I'm doing a water change would that help or will I just have to learn to live with it?

Oh, and don't buy a BiUbe. They look good but they're a pain in the bum. The filter, which is right at the very bottom, has to be completely replaced ever 6 weeks or so, so all fish have to come out (as well as a lot of the substrate) so you don't accidentally trap one under the filter. They also can't take as many fish as a rectangular tank of the same volume. Mine was a gift and I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't trade it for a more traditional tank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

I used hair algae treatment before but then I bought a flying fox - they eat it pretty well. See if your lfs stocks them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I really wouldn't put one of those in a 35 litre tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The snails eat it well enough, they just don't like the top of the bubble tube.

Don't worry Silverfish; I'm resigned to the tank being full with 1 betta and two snails. Anything else I could fit in would only cause trouble with the betta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

If you have no plants in it try blacking out the tank for a full week. Turn the lights off and put something breathable over it to completely block out all light. Should kill off the algae spores and stop it coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

sorry didnt see its just a 35 l tank. Must be in another thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'll remember that for the future Cameron, but I've a lotus in there so blacking it out's not really an option.

Advertisement