Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just made a batch of Meade, but I think I killed the yeast!

Options
  • 25-09-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I added the yeast when the meade was at 55 degrees celcius. Not sure if i killed the yeast.

What is likely to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Were you cooling the must at the time?

i.e. was it 55 when you pitched and then 25deg 30 minutes later?

If you don't have any fermentation activity in the next 48 hours just re-pitch the same brand of yeast again and you should be fine.

If you pitched at 55 without any active attempts at cooling then I would expect that the yeast is indeed dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Shiny wrote: »
    Were you cooling the must at the time?

i.e. was it 55 when you pitched and then 25deg 30 minutes later?

If you don't have any fermentation activity in the next 48 hours just re-pitch the same brand of yeast again and you should be fine.

If you pitched at 55 without any active attempts at cooling then I would expect that the yeast is indeed dead.

We did not attempt to cool it rapidly, just cooled in normal room temperature. I dont have the same brand yeast to hand, just a sachet of cider and champagne yeast. I will keep an eye for the next 48 hours. If no frementation happens, can I add the cider yeast? From some recipes I have read you could use any yeast, even bread yeast.

Ok so its a few hours short of 2 days since I pitched the yeast. The water in the airlock is just short of level. Looks loke very little frementation happening.

Ok i need to do something about this in a hurry. From reading my post above, what are my options? I am limited on the type and amount of yeast I have to hand.

All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm not a fan of what champagne yeast did to my mead in terms of taste so in that case I would recommend using the cider yeast.

Just pitch the cider yeast, stir in gently with with a sanitatised spoon. I don't think shaking or stirring vigorously would be advisable at this point as I would say there is already plenty of oxygen in there for the yeast. Put back on the airlock and you will be fine. :)

I ptched the cider yeast and its frementing nicely. Willl frement for 2-3 weeks, then store for 6 months. Cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yeah the champ yeast can strip flavor. The cider yeast might be a bit wimpish to go through honey, not sure about that so don't quote me on it.
    Did you get a starting SG so you can keep tabs on progress and the finished alcohol vol?

Hopefully the cider yeast will do the job. The starting sg was 1.085.

I found this on you tube - Mead Making Tip: How to quickly clarify your Mead
    Has anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Bentonite works, it's the main ingredient in kitty litter so thats how soakie it is.
    Wine filters work as dose coffe filters but not half as well.
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/hf-vinbrite-mk3-filter-system-130-p.asp
    This is what I used but I got the kit at a bring n buy sale for 2 euro.
    Happy days, must have another go at mead soon. What puts me off is the year long wait just to know if its worth keeping, never mind actualy drinking.

Advertisement