Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

put buttercream on top of ready roll icing?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

I need to make a special birthday cake for a friend and I am quite new to baking. I was wondering can anyone tell me is it okay to put buttercream icing on top of ready roll icing?

I will be making a maderia cake and using buttercream to coat the cake before covering in ready roll. When the cake is covered in ready roll I then hope to add some decorations to the top using buttercream. Can I do this? I am worried that the buttercream might leave a grease mark spreading across the ready roll.

Also can anyone tell me how far in advance (of eating!) I can decorate the cake with both the ready roll and the buttercream on top?

Thanks, I really appreciate any advice! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Do you mean like some piped decorations on it? That'd be fine, mightn't taste great if there was a lot of extra buttercream on top but it wouldn't mark the icing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

yeah if I wanted to pipe decorations on top - I wanted to do a grass effect over the top of the cake (I have the grass icing tip). I know I could use royal icing but this goes hard and would not taste nice. I was thinking buttercream would be better but I am afraid that the colour from the buttercream will seep into the ready roll icing (which will be a different colour). I am also worried that the buttercream would just not "stick" to the ready roll and would slide off?

No it'll be grand, won't seep and will sit fine on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

okay thanks a mill for advice. any idea how far in advance I could put both the ready roll on top and the buttercream?

It depends on what the cake is, madeira or chocolate cake a day or two, chocolate biscuit cake 3-4 days for the sugarpaste, the buttercream the day before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement