Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ford 555

• 25-09-2011 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

does anyone have any experience of using these diggers for feeding silage from pit.what kind of reputation do they have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

a neighbour has a 655, has if from new, from what i know of it is ment to be a great machine, he bought a new manitou two years ago, but still uses the ford for putting in the silage, the visibility is great out of it, he swears by it, say's it can push like a bulldozer and well able to lift, his is a loader though with no back actor,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Does the 555 have a 3 or 4 pot engine, think it is 3 but not sure? I'd say it'd be grand if it was all on concrete.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Have a 550 (4600 3 Cyl engine) since about 1992.

Pros:
    • Extremely reliable. It has needed a gearbox in the 19 years we have had it, and the front axle rebuilt. Nolthing else though, bar an oil change once a year. God knows what hours are on it, but it stacks 1200 bales of silage a year, and feeds/loads them in the winter as well as all the other jobs it might do. The clutch was not replaced, so they last well.
    • Good to push stuff.
    • Reasonably comfortable for a 1979 machine
    • Good lock, and easy to handle around the yard.
    Cons
    • Weak enough front axle
    • Heavy clutch
    • Completely helpless in a damp field
    • It has the most insanely fast top gear (40k+ i think if you are brave), but not enough power to use it.
    • 62HP engine is a bit gutless

Overall though, it is almost a member of the family, and still the prime mover during the winter. It is based on a 4600 skid unit, so easy to work on too. Some parts are getting expensive (i.e. those that are not from the tractor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Not sure exactly what a 555 is based on, but yeah I've heard the 655 is supposed to push for ireland, great traction and good power in them.

550's are good old machines too, but lack the traction and power of the newer brethern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Alaxender Mills, very often has decent looking 550 and 555 models in stock. Always worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement