Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Grand Prix 2011 Thread

• 25-09-2011 6:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The draw for the first round of the World Grand Prix has been made tonight. Willie O' Connor must be reasonably happey with his draw.

2011 World Grand Prix
    First Round Draw Bracket

Phil Taylor (1) v Peter Wright
    Ronnie Baxter v Paul Nicholson
    Mark Webster (8) v Andy Hamilton
    Dave Chisnall v Alan Tabern
    Simon Whitlock (5) v Terry Jenkins
    Mark Hylton v Mark Walsh
    Gary Anderson (4) v Richie Burnett
    Jamie Caven v Denis Ovens
    Adrian Lewis (2) v John Part
    Brendan Dolan v Wayne Jones
    Wes Newton (7) v Colin Lloyd
    Justin Pipe v John Henderson
    Raymond van Barneveld (6) v Mervyn King
    William O'Connor v Andy Smith
    James Wade (3) v Steve Brown
    Vincent van der Voort v Kevin Painter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Some interesting games in that 1st round. The 2 Irish players will be happy enough with their draws,they could have been a lot tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Part v Lewis
    Baxter v Nicholson
    Simon Whitlock v Terry Jenkins

are the stand out first round games for me. Cant wait for this to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

Well done to Brendan Dolan and Willie O'Connor on qualifying for the WGP and the best of luck to them in the opening round.

Partypoker.com have been announced as this year's sponsors of the World Grand Prix,link; www.pdc.tv/page/GrandPrixDetail/0,,10180~2468408,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Might turn up for the early rounds, the later rounds aren't as enjoyable crowd wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

for any gamblers

Top Half of the Draw

Phil Taylor (1) v Peter Wright
    Ronnie Baxter v Paul Nicholson
    Mark Webster (8) v Andy Hamilton
    Dave Chisnall v Alan Tabern
    Simon Whitlock (5) v Terry Jenkins
    Mark Hylton v Mark Walsh
    Gary Anderson (4) v Richie Burnett
    Jamie Caven v Denis Ovens

Bottom Half of the Draw

Adrian Lewis (2) v John Part
    Brendan Dolan v Wayne Jones
    Wes Newton (7) v Colin Lloyd
    Justin Pipe v John Henderson
    Raymond van Barneveld (6) v Mervyn King
    William O'Connor v Andy Smith
    James Wade (3) v Steve Brown
    Vincent van der Voort v Kevin Painter

I always like taking an each way bet from the other side of draw from Taylor. Went for Wes Newton at 16/1 for the grand prix.

Done outside bet for tonight Pipe, Part & Brown at about 16/1. Early rounds can always have an upset and Lewis & Wade ain't been playing too good recently like last week in players championships or over weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What do you all think of gary andersons chances? He's 7/1 with paddypower.

I know he had troubles with doubles in the past and seen as this is double in double out i was wondering are these ironed out. I wouldn't be too up on darts so sorry, But i know he's in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thedivil

The only thing bad about Andersons chances is that hes on Taylors half of the draw.
    I think James Wade could do well again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Has anyone any idea if there is gona be a bookies there this year ?
    Or maybe someone thats going tonight could report back.

I thinks its crazy that there has'nt been one there the last couple of years,
    I think since the one that got robbed there it stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I threw €5 e/w on Justin Pipe at 100/1. He's a good player going in on good form. I have too much money so wanted to get rid of it easily.

Here's a stream if anybody wishes to watch it.

http://www.justin.tv/live_sport9#/w/1854584880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pipe has me falling asleep, think hes gotten even slower than he was.

Must be very hard to get into any kind of rhythm playing him.

Jackpot will be punching walls right about now, wtf happened.

Devastator wrote: »

Done outside bet for tonight Pipe, Part & Brown at about 16/1. Early rounds can always have an upset and Lewis & Wade ain't been playing too good recently like last week in players championships or over weekend.

got home to see Pipe went out, so done the Part/Brown double. After about 5 mins of Part game thought it was useless....HOW THE HELL DID HE WIN THAT? :eek:
    thedivil wrote: »
    The only thing bad about Andersons chances is that hes on Taylors half of the draw.
    I think James Wade could do well again

The sky hype machine will always talk about his doubles. He probably not as consistant as other top players on the double but if hes confident he can hit anything he wants on the board. I took the 7/1 on him aswell, he's probably only player to challenge Taylor on that side of draw(bar a big off day from Taylor against someone else)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭messi1985

come on willie!!! do limerick proud

After a good start was disappointing performance from Willie tonight. Really thought he was gonna go on and win. Doubles let him down.

V.happy to see Lewis go out though :D Missed the start of it, but Wes Newton looked in cracking form in last 2 sets, hope he keeps it up for the rest of the week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Missed most of darts last night but delighted part managed to beat Lewis although Lewis pretty much threw it away. Good win for Dolan, Barney and Newton as well as they all looked good.

Same story with Willie I'm afraid, to bucket load of missed doubles in the first set which he should easily have one and then went to pieces in the second. Hopefully he has got good experience from the game though and he can now go on and qualify for the worlds and win a couple of rounds.

bet for tonight

Anderson, Whitlock & Nicolson all 2-0 wins for just over 8/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Part was always a favourite player of mine, one of the few players that had to guts to take Taylor on if not always the ability.
    Still though having met Lewis in person its a pity he had to go out so early, nice bloke

Unbelievable throw away of a game last night by Lewis! It was impossible to see Part coming back but in fairness Lewis self destructed! Good start here from Ovens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Can't believe Chisnall lost that game! Just goes to show how much of a mental game darts is, the missed doubles really got to him.

• Advertisement

Jesus im hardly arsed going on Friday now, Lewis and Anderson out, raging.

Least ill get to see The Power, class finish under big pressure.

For anyone looking for a good stream to watch

http://www.kiwisportz.eu/stream-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Wade was in abit of trouble there.Pulled that set back just in time.

The place is empty.I would love to go again, Was at the semi finals last year, but unfortuntely i just cant affoard it at the moment.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

"Champions know how to win", great insight from Wayne Mardle as he gets another prediction wrong.

Tournament has gone mental, everyone is knocked out.

There is nobody there again it is'nt even a 1/4 full by the looks of it.

C'mon Brendan Dolan, should have been 1-0 up by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Am I the only one finding this tournament a breath of fresh air! Barney looked dis interested and deservedly got beaten, Lewis acted as if the match was over and couldn't hack the pressure when Part started getting away, Anderson was found out once again with his poor doubles don't think any of them can have any complaints. Wade was lucky enough tonight too VDV lost his bottle near the finishing line once again but think he's the only man capable of beating Taylor left in the competition now. Nice to see a few shocks about as sometimes these tournaments can get predictable.

• Advertisement

Get in there Dolan!!

Fair play to Dolan, on recent form he looked the better player and he went out and proved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Brilliant from Dolan should help his cause getting into the world championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

delighted for brendan, great stuff, alot of 160 starts

citywest looked like a ghostown?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Zarkandar

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but is there a bookies taking bets at the venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Zarkandar wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but is there a bookies taking bets at the venue?

i think they have done away with it after someone tried to rob the stand member at the end of the night a few years back

• Advertisement

Double Top wrote: »
    i think they have done away with it after someone tried to rob the stand member at the end of the night a few years back

Thanks Double Top, why am I not surprised. Guess it's a case of doing my bets before I head.

Thanks Double Top, why am I not surprised. Guess it's a case of doing my bets before I head.

Or stick some money into PP like lm gona do and just ring up with bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rabsmith2

Was there Monday, there is a bookies stand there. Well done Brendan;)

rabsmith2 wrote: »

Was there ? which bookies was it do you remember ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Wow,
    pleasantly surprised by the form of Dolan.
    Fair play to him, threw some great darts and deserved the win.

• Advertisement

rabsmith2 wrote: »

Remember there's been promo stands there before, did you actually place a bet at the stand or did you see people placing cash bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rabsmith2

Remember there's been promo stands there before, did you actually place a bet at the stand or did you see people placing cash bets?

The fella sat next to me went out and backed part to win when he was 1 set down, he was a happy bunny. Not sure who the bookie was .

Only in at start of 2nd set between Whitlock & Hylton. Hylton is throwing some brilliant darts!

Would love to see Nicholson beat Taylor. It would really open up the tournament with Barney, Lewis, Anderson all out and Wade not throwing the best its there for someone else to step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I'd beat Nicholson myself the way he is playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I think someone was really put in there place there.... Another grand prix title for taylor me thinks..

wow...this is gonna be an exciting game! Blink n you miss it action :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Shazmo2011

What do you think about this -

Taylor - Webster, most 180s TIE - 6/1
    Wade - Smith, most 180s TIE - 9/2
    Dolan - Henderson, most 180s TIE - 9/2

Works out at roughly 200/1! And I don't think its as improbable as the odds suggest it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great win for dolan. won't be easy against hendo tonight. taylor webster should be a cracker. nice to see burnett back and hylton doing well. he's a player thats moved up a lot of places this year , put in a decent performance at the worlds as well. For the semis id' say it will be taylor v burnett and dolan v wade

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thedivil

I can see Webster beating Taylor tonight.He seems to be suited to this format.Scores well and starts fast.The double 10 and treble 19 were being hopped off by him last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

anyone know the order of play?

• Advertisement
Advertisement