Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I did my first viva today, on the upper limb, if you pardon the bad pun, it was nerve wracking :o Had to laugh though cause the minute the spotlight was off me, I could happily answer everyone else questions, but when I was being examined my mind was all ' this is a bone...and this is a muscle...and that's another muscle...sure what do you need names, motions or innervation's for....'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Contrary to my initial apathy, I found ophthalmology really interesting. I keep telling people that cataract surgery is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Starting on 2 weeks of ENT today. Let's hope this one is a pleasant surprise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Swimmingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Swimmingly.
    Are you sure it's a medical school and not, in fact, a pond?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Are you sure it's a medical school and not, in fact, a pond?
    It's definitely not a medical school. It may be a pond.

• Advertisement

So.... no one has actually died because of their first set of exams...right??

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Jessibelle wrote: »
    So.... no one has actually died because of their first set of exams...right??

Oh god. Laughing my arse off.

Despite giant mania/despair moodswings, palpitations from too much coffee/red bull, inability to wear anything but a onesie, questionable dietary habits and general derangement, you WILL survive. Invest in a good moisturiser though. Second year exams start friday and I look like a hag :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Got a first on my second placement. \0/ In Yo Face firstplacementextremelyhardmarkingmademelosemyconfidencepeople! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Congratulations.
    It's always a delight when the hard work pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Uggghhh. That is all. Final year sucks. But not as much as fourth year :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mind.games

I've heard 4th med is pretty bad alright!! I'm just heading into my second semester of 3rd med in UCD. Next semester is supposed to be really interesting!! Oh god the fear of it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I actually imparted knowledge yesterday! :D

A student in the year below me was told by the anaesthetist to look at the patient's aneurysm on the CT scan. She couldn't see it and asked me where it was after checking that I was in 4th year. Turns out that she didn't know what an aneurysm was (thought it was a constriction) so I was able to do the explaining thing.

Felt a little proud of myself for a bit. :cool:

I actually imparted knowledge yesterday! :D

A student in the year below me was told by the anaesthetist to look at the patient's aneurysm on the CT scan. She couldn't see it and asked me where it was after checking that I was in 4th year. Turns out that she didn't know what an aneurysm was (thought it was a constriction) so I was able to do the explaining thing.

Felt a little proud of myself for a bit. :cool:

That's pretty cool! It's nice to be able to teach someone as not only are you explaining it, you know that you know it also! Mind you you always run the risk of not knowing what your talking about. But if that happens you know where your weak points are to brush up on :)

Turns out that she didn't know what an aneurysm was

And she was a third year???

She has yet to finish pathology to be fair.

And, to put it delicately, she does have a language barrier to contend with.

She has yet to finish pathology to be fair.

And, to put it delicately, she does have a language barrier to contend with.

My apologies. I made the assumption she was an Irish student.

My apologies. I made the assumption she was an Irish student.

No worries. :D

Thinking back on it, while I knew what an aneurysm was from about early secondary school, I didn't learn the complete definition and the whole true vs false thing until third year too.

So I'd say she was the same, just had a different word for her vague understanding too.

I delivered a baby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

That's pretty cool PhysiologyRocks!

God, I hate pharmacology!! If I didn't fail then that's all my pharmacology done with for the rest of the degree! I have everything crossed! Off out onto placement soon, looking forward to it because I got something interesting...A&E :D

I do think I'd like to do grad med after nursing but sometimes I just can't wait to get away from studying. My head is melted after exams!

AWESOME!!! I'm actually all :eek: at even the idea, delighted for ya! :D

• Advertisement

Awesome. :)

Oh wow I loved OBGYN! Would do that rotation again in a heartbeat. Pity the lifestyle is so tough - dont think I would be able for it as a career.

Saw some pretty amazing things - got to see 11 deliveries, inc 2 by my own fair hand :D

1) Exams are hard.

2) I have a severe case of Med Student Syndrome, and really need to stop convincing myself that I have conditions that occur only in elderly patients, paediatric patients, males and pregnant women. :o

1) Exams are hard.

2) I have a severe case of Med Student Syndrome, and really need to stop convincing myself that I have conditions that occur only in elderly patients, paediatric patients and pregnant women.

Did you know that old people with Dementia regain the Moro Reflex? Think of that next time you wandering down the Geriatric ward. Imagine how much fun could be had :D

(DISCLAIMER - Please don't attempt this. I wouldn't do a Moro on a granny - but imagining it is fun!)

Exams are hard PhysiologyRocks but you can only do your best. If you have done that, you can't have done any more. And prepare for the next one - I have learned there is anyways a next one ;)

Emergency Med next. I'm rather excited, actually. Still a bit tired after a vicious assault of lectures, but excited all the same. :)

I have a jurisprudence exam tomorrow. I don't know what jurisprudence is but I do know it's as boring as hell as doesn't deserve my precious hours wasted studying it. I intend on completely winging it.

I have a jurisprudence exam tomorrow. I don't know what jurisprudence is but I do know it's as boring as hell as doesn't deserve my precious hours wasted studying it. I intend on completely winging it.
    Isn't that a barring exam for you guys? Thankfully did not have to sit an exam like that however had my fill of ethics in 1st and 2nd year :)

sillymoo wrote: »
    Isn't that a barring exam for you guys? Thankfully did not have to sit an exam like that however had my fill of ethics in 1st and 2nd year :)

According to our Jurisprudence lecturer it's a "hurdle" exam. It doesn't go toward our final grade but we have to pass it.

According to our Jurisprudence lecturer it's a "hurdle" exam. It doesn't go toward our final grade but we have to pass it.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Best of luck!

Cheers. Just Back home now. Went well.
    Had an essay on the role of the coroner and SAQs on QALYs, negligence, medical council and European court of human rights.
    Now for some stone roses and sausage rolls.

Advertisement