Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Nah, it's fairly random as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

USMLE in 20 days. I'm slowly going crazy.

sitting it this summer myself.
    did the kaplan course last year but didnt feel ready for it.
    on gp placement now and studying away solidly.
    how much time did you dedicate to studying?
    what score you aiming for?
    id be thrilled with a 240

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Nah, it's fairly random as far as I can tell.

I do wonder how they decide who goes where on placements. Some people get all the cool placements. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

insanity50 wrote: »
    USMLE in 20 days. I'm slowly going crazy.

sitting it this summer myself.
    did the kaplan course last year but didnt feel ready for it.
    on gp placement now and studying away solidly.
    how much time did you dedicate to studying?
    what score you aiming for?
    id be thrilled with a 240

I couldn't tell you exactly how much time I've spent studying for it but I have been working away solidly since the end of third year.
    Scoring 254 on the self assessments so I'm aiming for around that. Will see how it goes on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

My head is full if congestion. It's pushing all the knowledge out. Sniffling and spluttering in the library. Not the time to be sick :(

• Advertisement

sillymoo wrote: »
    My head is full if congestion. It's pushing all the knowledge out. Sniffling and spluttering in the library. Not the time to be sick :(

How soon until finals? A nice blackberry lemsip is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

I couldn't tell you exactly how much time I've spent studying for it but I have been working away solidly since the end of third year.
    Scoring 254 on the self assessments so I'm aiming for around that. Will see how it goes on the day.

assume you're in fourth year of a five year degree?

how have you found juggling studying pre clinical med whilst on clinical placements?

insanity50 wrote: »

assume you're in fourth year of a five year degree?

how have you found juggling studying pre clinical med whilst on clinical placements?

Studying USMLE last year was actually quite helpful. Our end of year exams were in Path, Micro and Pharm so no problems there.
    Also had Opth and ENT but I enjoyed them tbh and was able to put the hours into studying for them.

This year however the USMLE is cutting into Obs/Gynae and Paeds big time.
    GP and psych are handy enough and I seem to know a lot I the psych stuff already from First Aid.
    Definitely looking forward to getting it finished with so I can go hammer and tongs at all the stuff I've been neglecting the last few months.

How soon until finals? A nice blackberry lemsip is your only man.
    They start in just over 2 weeks. Have lemsip on the go alright, hopefully it will hang around for another day max. The library seems to be akin to a sanitarium at the moment.

Best of luck in the USMLEs btw, will be great to have it under your belt. I kind of regret not doing them.

They start in just over 2 weeks. Have lemsip on the go alright, hopefully it will hang around for another day max. The library seems to be akin to a sanitarium at the moment.

Best of luck in the USMLEs btw, will be great to have it under your belt. I kind of regret not doing them.

Cheers. Good luck to you too.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Mardybumbum, is it step 2 you're doing?

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Mardybumbum, is it step 2 you're doing?

I wish. It's the big bad Step 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Too much stuff to do. The despair of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My exams aren't until July, my rotations have been so lovely so far, finished by lunchtime most days and then I go home and do a bit of study/laze on the couch/go swimming/running...this is a lovely semester! Apparently it does get harder though, I have nice rotations for the next few weeks, then they get a bit more intense.

At the beginning of the year I was all up for doing the USMLEs, then decided I don't really want to do a residency in the states, I might do a fellowship at some point and do the USMLEs at a later date when score isn't as important, I'd just need to pass.

Piste wrote: »
    At the beginning of the year I was all up for doing the USMLEs, then decided I don't really want to do a residency in the states, I might do a fellowship at some point and do the USMLEs at a later date when score isn't as important, I'd just need to pass.

Are you on about doing the USMLE after a fellowship? I believe you have to be ECFMG certified (i.e step 1 and 2 complete) to be considered for fellowship. Stand to be corrected on that though.
    I've heard its fairly difficult to do a fellowship without residency although it is possible.
    I can only assume a good step 1 and step 2 CK score would be of benefit to you in that regard.

My exams aren't until July, my rotations have been so lovely so far, finished by lunchtime most days and then I go home and do a bit of study/laze on the couch/go swimming/running...this is a lovely semester! Apparently it does get harder though, I have nice rotations for the next few weeks, then they get a bit more intense.
    enjoy this semester Piste! I remember when I was doing that semester - was fab. Dragged towards the end as everyone else was finished, and we finished middle of June then. Think they have added on some stuff for you guys.

Make the most of your free time and enjoy it - you won't have much free time next year!

Yeah the fourth years seem swamped! I'm definitely making the most of my free time and enjoying it- went to the zoo today :)

went to the zoo today :)

Ah that sounds like fun! My 3rd year was actually far busier than 4th year has been so far.

I'm shadowed by a constant niggly feeling that I may not be doing 4th year right....

Are you on about doing the USMLE after a fellowship? I believe you have to be ECFMG certified (i.e step 1 and 2 complete) to be considered for fellowship. Stand to be corrected on that though.
    I've heard its fairly difficult to do a fellowship without residency although it is possible.
    I can only assume a good step 1 and step 2 CK score would be of benefit to you in that regard.

Oh no I'd do the USMLEs before the fellowship of course. I heard the USMLE scores don't matter too much for fellowships, it's just boxes you have to tick, they're more concerned with how you got on in your basic training and how much research you've done.

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

OMG I hope I passed..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Congratulations, I finished up last week.

p.s they passed me, and if they do that they'll pass anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Well done both of you!

:D

I'm too tired for medicine. Just need a break! :/

I'm liking medical school today! They awarded me a title for doing well in previous exams. :D

I enjoy titles.

Only one exam to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I envy you. I've got 3 this week, none of which I feel particularly enthusiastic about.

If everything has gone well, I'm 80% of the way through medical school! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

12 hours until the end of my pre-clinical years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Biologic wrote: »
    12 hours until the end of my pre-clinical years.

Well done. :D

The next part is actually quite a lot of fun.

But take care of yourself, it can be more than a little taxing. :)

I still have over a month left :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi Guys

Just got an offer for the 5 year course in rcsi on friday. Delighted :-). I'm a mature student who studied radiography. I've very little exposure to chemistry since i didn't do it for my leaving certificate back in 2006 and didn't really do many modules concerning it during my degree. Just wondering if anybody has any advice this summer regarding preparing myself for first year med. Maybe some reading to bring myself up to scratch. Thanks :-)

Advertisement