Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Biologic wrote: »
    There are a few high profile ones in Hopkins, Mayo and Columbia but I'm definitely not guaranteed one of those. Although my chances are probably decent as I'm only looking for them to set up an IM one. I've got an EM one organised on my own. I don't know where the rest are. How are yours going so far?

Things are going very well here. I'm on Trauma surgery at the moment which has been a fantastic learning experience. I get to practice my suturing, CPR and primary plus secondary surveys among others.
    There isn't as much opportunity to scrub in as there was on Vascular but overall it's a much more exciting service to be a student on.
    I'm doing nights at the moment. Last night we got so many traumas we had to close our doors.
    I actually bumped into a few RCSI students in a food market who are doing rotations in Johns Hopkins.

I hope things work out for you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Biologic wrote: »
    Thanks! Last night was abnormally late. I got very little done during the day on account of the results, so had to make it up at night. I'm planning to sit the USMLE in mid September, so that gives me roughly 10 weeks from now.
    How's your break going? You're headed into final year right? I'd give my first born to be headed into final year right now.

Oh, didn't see this til just now! :o

Yep, heading into final year, starting next Monday. :eek:

Break's been ok, apart from the research placement. It's not really my thing. :o

Hope the revision is going well! :)

A Neurotic: The Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties absolutely saved me. I also flicked through Psychiatry Made ridiculously simple. The microbiology version is way better but it didn't suck. But I mainly used the handbook tbh. Mediocre grade as well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Final Med tomorrow! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Final Med tomorrow! :eek:

Feck !!! It was 1993 when I started final med (along with some other posters here :rolleyes:)

Good luck, it was the most enjoyable year IMO

Day 1 of final med done.

I'm sleepy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Got my timetable for 4th med, I'm out of Dublin a lot which I'm not looking forward to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Piste wrote: »
    Got my timetable for 4th med, I'm out of Dublin a lot which I'm not looking forward to :(

That was always going to happen unfortunately! Most of the fourth years spend most of their time in peripherals. Its mighty craic though! You in WRH at all? Learned so much down there its unreal. And there is normally a big gang down there, especially in final year. Killkenny was nice too. I liked most my peripherals actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

sillymoo wrote: »
    Killkenny was nice too. I liked most my peripherals actually!

Phew, I've 12 straight weeks in Kilkenny this year. And nobody seems to know anything about the place. How did you find the teaching there?

In other news, I HATE THE USMLE AS MUCH AS ANYTHING CAN BE HATED.

That was always going to happen unfortunately! Most of the fourth years spend most of their time in peripherals. Its mighty craic though! You in WRH at all? Learned so much down there its unreal. And there is normally a big gang down there, especially in final year. Killkenny was nice too. I liked most my peripherals actually!

Unfortunately I'm not in Waterford or Kilkenny at all, I've heard those two are some craic though! I'm in Cavan and Mullingar, no idea where I am for GP or OBGYN though, any idea when the college will let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Damn med students, turning up in hospitals, knowing more than interns :)

Have a great time in final med, it's a wonderful year.

• Advertisement

GradMed wrote: »
    Have a great time in final med, it's a wonderful year.

A lot of people have said that actually. Really hope it is.

Currently it's a little bit like looking at a sheer cliff face and knowing that I have to climb it. Quickly and perhaps rather irritatingly, completely voluntarily.

Only seeing this now sorry! KK is lovely. Surg teaching from Mr Balfe is pretty good. He is lovely and completely mad. What else are you in KK for? Don't know what psych is like there but I know there are only a couple if you of your there for psych. Medicine in KK is ok. The apartments are nice and B&Bs are grand.

Have not been in Cavan myself but have not heard good things. There were complaints 2 years ago so I think they may have made changes after our year. I don't really know Piste.

GP you will find out in the first or second week of the rotation. There really is no predicting where you will be! OBGYN - I was in the coombe so we knew we would be going to Waterford. But I think everyone goes to the Rotunda now for OBGYN? Different again to my year so I don't know when there will tell you. I'd imagine your first day as some students will be on peripheral the first week of the rotation this will need to go ASAP!

What are ye doing in KK, Cavan and Mullingar and when? Mullingar was pretty good for med/Surg I heard. I was there for paeds and it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Albection wrote: »

Currently it's a little bit like looking at a sheer cliff face and knowing that I have to climb it. Quickly and perhaps rather irritatingly, completely voluntarily.

Any excuse to reference the film :)

It really is a great year, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

:D

Only seeing this now sorry! KK is lovely. Surg teaching from Mr Balfe is pretty good. He is lovely and completely mad. What else are you in KK for? Don't know what psych is like there but I know there are only a couple if you of your there for psych. Medicine in KK is ok. The apartments are nice and B&Bs are grand.

Have not been in Cavan myself but have not heard good things. There were complaints 2 years ago so I think they may have made changes after our year. I don't really know Piste.

GP you will find out in the first or second week of the rotation. There really is no predicting where you will be! OBGYN - I was in the coombe so we knew we would be going to Waterford. But I think everyone goes to the Rotunda now for OBGYN? Different again to my year so I don't know when there will tell you. I'd imagine your first day as some students will be on peripheral the first week of the rotation this will need to go ASAP!

What are ye doing in KK, Cavan and Mullingar and when? Mullingar was pretty good for med/Surg I heard. I was there for paeds and it was great!

I'm in Cavan for 6 weeks just after New Years for general med/surg and in Mullingar for Paeds more or less straight away, I'm only in Mullingar for two weeks though. Do you know do they provide accommodation for GP as well?

I've been back a week and a day and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.

This probably isn't a good sign.... :/

I've been back a week and a day and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.

This probably isn't a good sign.... :/

Isn't it fairly natural to feel overwhelmed?? I know a good few I spoke to about it, never felt confident at the start of fifth year, even intern year took a while to feel at ease?

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Isn't it fairly natural to feel overwhelmed?? I know a good few I spoke to about it, never felt confident at the start of fifth year, even intern year took a while to feel at ease?

Yeah, it is I think. I think I just feel like whining. :o

When are you back btw? :)

the 24th this month, although I may have to defer, health pending. I've to get a few scans and stuff, but I'm sure once they actually locate the brain, it'll all be good :D

I'm in Cavan for 6 weeks just after New Years for general med/surg and in Mullingar for Paeds more or less straight away, I'm only in Mullingar for two weeks though. Do you know do they provide accommodation for GP as well?
    Yep you spend 2 weeks away in paeds. One week away in Obgyn. They provide accommodation in GP. If you get to go to portlaoise, it's a 5 star resort of some sort they put you up in! You away for 3 weeks in GP. But you might be lucky and be in Dublin. I went to Galway but I didn't mind as it was close to home and I got to live at home. You will be graaaand!

Btw to the final years - I was bricking it at the beginning of the year. Foot came off the pedal after a few weeks but don't worry, you will get into a rhythm and the ALL THE STUDY WILL BE DONE! By the time the exams come, you will be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Hi,

Any advice for a soon-to-be first year med student?

Hi,

Try to keep on top of the biochemistry if you find that type of thing awkward, it can seem to pile up fast enough. Don't stress too much, you might think you need to know everything else someone will come in with that horrible disease that was covered that one time for ten seconds and now because you can't remember they'll die, but really, if you have a good solid jist of what everything is, you'll be grand, and have a blast :) First med (having just finished it) is seriously, so much fun, and done in a blink of an eye and then you're facing down the barrel of second year or above :eek:

Try to keep on top of the biochemistry if you find that type of thing awkward, it can seem to pile up fast enough. Don't stress too much, you might think you need to know everything else someone will come in with that horrible disease that was covered that one time for ten seconds and now because you can't remember they'll die, but really, if you have a good solid jist of what everything is, you'll be grand, and have a blast :) First med (having just finished it) is seriously, so much fun, and done in a blink of an eye and then you're facing down the barrel of second year or above :eek:

Thats great thanks, do u have any tips on books or should I wait till I get down there are see what they recommend?

I found Instant Notes in Biochemistry invaluable for giving me a broad overview of some of the more awkward topics. It wouldn't nessesarily have enough information in it to give you an honours answer (it might vary depending on what school you're in and what they look for?) but it definitely gives enough for a 'knows enough to pass' answer. I found Lippencotts Illustrated review in Biochemistry really useful, but I know some people didn't like it. I also liked Stryers Biochem but again it was a matter of personal choice :)
    Anatomy wise personally I preferred Lasts, and a good anatomy atlas, like Netters or McMillans, but there's so many, all as good as the next, you'll find your own and stick with that. Physiology, I found Sherwoods useful, but found the 'Fundamentals of Physiology' easier to grasp broad concepts with and 'From Cells to Systems' good for the tiny details that bumped up the marks for some systems. Again though, there's a HUGE range and you'll find one that clicks and run with that. If there's anything else I can help with, sure drop me a pm or let me know and if i can I will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Going into final year in a few weeks. Think I've forgotten it all! Eek! Cannot wait to finish and get a job though. But obvo not in Ireland, coz, there is none. Boooooo! :cool:

Larianne wrote: »
    Going into final year in a few weeks. Think I've forgotten it all! Eek! Cannot wait to finish and get a job though. But obvo not in Ireland, coz, there is none. Boooooo! :cool:

you've forgotten more than most people know, you'll be awesome and just beat 4th year dead :) As to the job, sure nearly everywhere's better sun than here, and tbh, I suspect I won't be long here after qualification myself the way the HSE looks to be shaping up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I really need to pull the finger out now. Haven't done a tap since the end of 4th year.

Hi,

You were probably one of the smart kids in school, unfortunately once you get into medicine everyone's the smart kid and the curve resettles itself out once more, so while you may think you can take it easy and coast by for the first seemster, DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE! It just leads to panic and stress until you learn your lesson that you really do have to keep on top of lectures as they happen and study as you go, you really can't leave it all until a few weeks before the exams.

Thankfully you're probably more sensible than I was in first year and wont make this mistake and you'll do really well and have a great time and wont have to learn any horrid lessons once you get your results back :) Good luck! What college are you starting in?

I found Instant Notes in Biochemistry invaluable for giving me a broad overview of some of the more awkward topics. It wouldn't nessesarily have enough information in it to give you an honours answer (it might vary depending on what school you're in and what they look for?) but it definitely gives enough for a 'knows enough to pass' answer. I found Lippencotts Illustrated review in Biochemistry really useful, but I know some people didn't like it. I also liked Stryers Biochem but again it was a matter of personal choice :)
    Anatomy wise personally I preferred Lasts, and a good anatomy atlas, like Netters or McMillans, but there's so many, all as good as the next, you'll find your own and stick with that. Physiology, I found Sherwoods useful, but found the 'Fundamentals of Physiology' easier to grasp broad concepts with and 'From Cells to Systems' good for the tiny details that bumped up the marks for some systems. Again though, there's a HUGE range and you'll find one that clicks and run with that. If there's anything else I can help with, sure drop me a pm or let me know and if i can I will :)

I will thanks :)

• Advertisement

You were probably one of the smart kids in school, unfortunately once you get into medicine everyone's the smart kid and the curve resettles itself out once more, so while you may think you can take it easy and coast by for the first seemster, DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE! It just leads to panic and stress until you learn your lesson that you really do have to keep on top of lectures as they happen and study as you go, you really can't leave it all until a few weeks before the exams.

Thankfully you're probably more sensible than I was in first year and wont make this mistake and you'll do really well and have a great time and wont have to learn any horrid lessons once you get your results back :) Good luck! What college are you starting in?

UCC can't wait!!!

Advertisement