Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Ugh. Into the last four weeks. Just tiring and long and unnecessarily stressful and tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Nearly there! WHooOO! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

My brain can't seem to resolve how I can be this excited to be near the end, while being this terrified of cocking up. I'm so sure I should be doing WAY more work but really feel completely burned out. Thing is whenever I pick up some sample questions, I find they are ok and there are few surprises or things which don't seem familiar, but when I think of the hours I've wasted with the "I'll start studying in a few minutes" train of thought... well I quickly try think of more comforting things :)

Roll on May 1st (Though I know when the last exam is over the torture of wondering if everything went ok begins)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

FINISHED!!

Can't believe I made it. :)

So happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Larianne wrote: »
    FINISHED!!

Can't believe I made it. :)

So happy :D

Congrats :-) !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm finished final med and I did well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I'm finished final med and I did well! :D

Congrats! :-D I'm hopefully two exams away from 3rd year! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if ye can tell me whether the pass mark in medicine is 50% or 40%?Im in Vet and a classmate told me it was the latter but I dont believe that is correct.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just wondering if ye can tell me whether the pass mark in medicine is 50% or 40%?Im in Vet and a classmate told me it was the latter but I dont believe that is correct.
    Thanks

50%

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Finally doing a phd in biochemistry and love it. I have been working with NMR at the moment and find it brilliant. I'm also working on a very exciting project related to molecular genetics and gene expression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Id like to get peoples opinions on whether ye think there is more understanding involved in biochemistry as opposed to other subjects?A classmate of mine who is mind bogglingly brilliant at anatomy struggled to just pass an MCQ on biochem(think he got 50%). A friend and i discussed this and he believes its because there is a larger need to understand what is going on in biochemistry. Personally,im not sure I totaly agree with this,it seems pretty similar to the rest of the modules to me but a lot of my classmates struggled with it and they are all really bright kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Finally doing a phd in biochemistry and love it. I have been working with NMR at the moment and find it brilliant. I'm also working on a very exciting project related to molecular genetics and gene expression.

O that sounds interesting. How are you putting NMR and gene expression together if you don't mind me asking. (Fellow PhD here btw so don't hold back on the nerdy details)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Id like to get peoples opinions on whether ye think there is more understanding involved in biochemistry as opposed to other subjects?A classmate of mine who is mind bogglingly brilliant at anatomy struggled to just pass an MCQ on biochem(think he got 50%). A friend and i discussed this and he believes its because there is a larger need to understand what is going on in biochemistry. Personally,im not sure I totaly agree with this,it seems pretty similar to the rest of the modules to me but a lot of my classmates struggled with it and they are all really bright kids.

Is this first year medicine biochemistry? For me anyway I just slogged through essays and pathways learning it off. Understanding does actually come with memorizing, at least it did for me.

O that sounds interesting. How are you putting NMR and gene expression together if you don't mind me asking. (Fellow PhD here btw so don't hold back on the nerdy details)

Hey Donkey apologies for the late reply. I will write a full post on the subject for you tomorrow. I would have done it earlier but I have had a long frustrating day featuring a huge lack of results! :(

Well I'll put it this way. I find biochemistry at all levels really easy and physiology quite tough. my mate who's a doctor finds biochem really had and phys quite easy. There's not a real difference in our respective intelligences and I can only put it down to interest in the subject.

I love biochemistry and my mate loves phys. We both research various aspects of it for fun and that plays a major part in how well we will do in the subject.

There has been a gradual decline in the popularity in biochemistry and some universities are even trying to phase it out. This year in UCD only 7 people going into third year will have picked it as a degree choice. The only reason why I'm not worried is because biochemistry will always be needed. It underpins the basics of all life sciences.

The modules that are offered to med students and first year biological science students involve learning pathways like gluconeogenisis, the pentose phosphate pathway or basic molecular structures like nucleotides or amino acids. I think there should be a greater emphasis on working in labs and working with basic biogenic substances rather than rattle off pathways.

Understanding for me came when I could work with these molecules. Modifying genes or enzymes really gave me an understanding of how biochemistry is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Passed my finals! Chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Well done chanste! On the biochem thing, do they still teach it with loads of reaction cycles? Krebs cycle etc? I'm all for students understanding ehat happens and why at each stage of a cycle, but having to learn the f-ing thing off by heart is rubbish. I hated biochem at undergraduate but now love it at PhD level, strange how things change.

Bringing belated news of the fact that I am all graduated up! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Well done and congratulations :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Well done to you and AI and the rest of the class of 2013! Enjoy this period of partying, holidays and graduating - have a ball and make the most if it! This time next year you will be envious of the class of 2014 as you head on call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 hazelnutoc

Hi
    I am a 26 year old Irish lady who is a third year nursing student in the U.K just about to qualify and I am thinking of taking a pre medical exam in 2014 to study medicine in Prague.
    Good idea or bad one!! All help and advice is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

hazelnutoc wrote: »
    Hi
    I am a 26 year old Irish lady who is a third year nursing student in the U.K just about to qualify and I am thinking of taking a pre medical exam in 2014 to study medicine in Prague.
    Good idea or bad one!! All help and advice is greatly appreciated

From what I hear, they are easy to get into but hard to stay in once you are there. Also, I think it is pretty hard to get an internship back here after

I got a lovely intern post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'm getting better at placement. I think I've almost reached competency for my intern year (I'm in 3rd nursing) but I've got 14 months to get my shizz together and do my finals first. It's lovely being able to cope better, I struggled a lot in 1st and 2nd year. Stick with it dudes!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Just wondering if anybody has used an online prep course like Kaplan for step one in the usmle ? I won't be doing the exam until summer 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

There's a thread in this forum about the USMLE where you'll find some useful stuff, and will probably get better answers. I tried the Kaplan qbank and didn't like it at all. Most of my class felt the same. I only know one person who tried the entire prep course and he ditched it after a week or two. I'm sure they work for some people, but IMHO you're better off sticking to the tried and tested UWorld/First Aid/extras combo.

Advertisement