Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How about this for cool?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

It's like something James May would think of but a very good idea at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Hit it the way they do in tesco and that won't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

EPM wrote: »
    Hit it the way they do in tesco and that won't work...

5 more posts and you'll hit 10,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A Focus with a leather interior :eek:

5 more posts and you'll hit 10,000...

Make sure your 10'000th isn't about Tesco though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A Focus with a leather interior :eek:

Video not made in Ireland so....

Would be great if could be retrofit. I would get it, my doors are fecked for the garden wall and kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Now if we just retrofit these to every car in the country we may be onto something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Yeah,great idea, but now people that have these fitted to their cars will take no care at all when getting out, and they will get so used to them that when they're in someone else's car they'll expect them there!
    I hate door bashers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

fecking women and kids :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'd prefer some device that would give a typical heedless donkey a good slap instead.

• Advertisement

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Yeah,great idea, but now people that have these fitted to their cars will take no care at all when getting out, and they will get so used to them that when they're in someone else's car they'll expect them there!
    I hate door bashers!!

It seems to be designed to stop damage to both cars, therefore a great idea...

And I hate door bashers as well.

What if you slammed the door though would it retract on time I wonder?

166man wrote: »

If this system did not, someone would easliy design a system that would. I am already trying to figure out in my head how it works, probably a simple pulley style system.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

166man wrote: »

I'd say it works kinda like a pulley system, when the door gets to a certain point the bump strip closes.

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    I'd say it works kinda like a pulley system, when the door gets to a certain point the bump strip closes.

I know that but think about it if you slammed a door really hard would the plastic pulley thing retract on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Video not made in Ireland so....

Would be great if could be retrofit. I would get it, my doors are fecked for the garden wall and kids..
    Can't you still get those clip-on rubber ones with the little orange reflectors in them? They don't look great but they'd do exactly the same job as the Ford ones, and probably for under a tenner a set.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Can't you still get those clip-on rubber ones with the little orange reflectors in them? They don't look great but they'd do exactly the same job as the Ford ones, and probably for under a tenner a set.

Had something like that, a black strip that fits on the door of the car, everyone fell off. Load of sh1t....

And you can still get them, company I work for sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Best idea I've seen in ages. I don't think it'd be a pulley system, it looks more like the rubber strip is actuated on some form of cam - it extends out to a precise point, then pulls back in. And it's speedy too - so I'd guess something like a fast servo motor driving a cam, with the position adjusted on the fly based on the door angle.

A pulley could theoretically slacken - and you'd need two pulleys, one at the hinge to determine door position, and one driving the mechanism, so three points of failure with 2 pulleys and a cable.

Course, I could be completely wrong. But it's still a fantastic idea, and should be mandatory on all new cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

it'll probably cost four grand when you lump on VAT, VRT, PRSI, USC on to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

One of those things its so practical and simple, why did nobody think of it before. Its coming as an option, I'd say it won't be too long till its standard on all cars.

From this link.

Ford has developed a new pop-out Door Edge Protector feature that will debut on the 2012 Ford Focus. The feature will be an option, comprising a specially made door strip which could save nasty panel damage.

The Ford Door Edge Protector system pops out as soon as a door is opened more than 15cm to provide a neat cushion strip along the most pronounced edge of the door. The strip appears to be quite slimline and promise not hinder open door space by any degree.

The strip flips back into the door jam within 60 milliseconds and cannot be seen inside or outside the car.

According to research, up to 57 per cent of UK motorists have suffered from carpark-related door damage, and more alarmingly, up to 85 per cent of UK motorists do not believe other drivers would confess to damaging someone’s car after banging a door.

• Advertisement

Had something like that, a black strip that fits on the door of the car, everyone fell off. Load of sh1t....

And you can still get them, company I work for sells them.
    Bit of clear silicone under it and it wouldn't fall off. Re the Ford system, the fatal flaw is that I just don't see why people who open their doors into other cars would pay extra for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anan1 wrote: »
    Bit of clear silicone under it and it wouldn't fall off. Re the Ford system, the fatal flaw is that I just don't see why people who open their doors into other cars would pay extra for this.

True, but give it a few years and it'll be standard imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The blond has a fine arse..:)

True, but give it a few years and it'll be standard imo!
    And on the NCT test list too?;)

Advertisement