Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Whiskey for 50 euro or less?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

What is the best whiskey you can get for 50 euro or less. I have tried Redbreast 12 year old, Jameson 12 year old, Bushmills Blackbush and 16 year old (which may be more expensive than that) as well as the usuals. My favourite is the Jameson 12.

Any other opinions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

Green Spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dickb

Try Tyrconnell Single Malt . Made in the Cooley Distillery in Co Louth. The profits stay in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Another Cooley one, had some Connemara a while back and it was very nice. I don't normally like peated whiskey but I liked this. The smokiness is there but it's very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Matthew23 wrote: »
    What is the best whiskey you can get for 50 euro or less. .... My favourite is the Jameson 12.

Spot on...you really cant go wrong with the the 12 year old Unless its the the 12 yr old Jameson Distillery Reserve fractionally over the €50 at €52 but normally only available at the Old Jameson Distillery Dublin and The Jameson Experience Midleton, Co. Cork but i believe you can buy in online too....lovely stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

3 bottles of standard Jameson or Paddy and stop muckin about.

pfff. palate me bollix.

It's whiskey FFS!

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    3 bottles of standard Jameson or Paddy and stop muckin about.
    pfff. palate me bollix.
    It's whiskey FFS!

Whats your problem?

Havn't seen any one mention "palate"

Some people like to drink...others just like to get drunk - I hear rubbing alcohol is suppose to do the trick!

gozunda wrote: »
    Whats your problem?

Havn't seen any one mention "palate"

Some people like to drink...others just like to get drunk - I hear rubbing alcohol is suppose to do the trick!
    yes, but you have to rub it real hard.

just having a laugh, keep that whiskey temper in check! :D

yes, but you have to rub it real hard.

just having a laugh, keep that whiskey temper in check! :D

Grand...dont mind me Just realised I,m down to me last dram :(

gozunda wrote: »
    Grand...dont mind me Just realised I,m down to me last dram :(
    YUP, I KNOW THAT PAIN

(AHEM, HENCE THE 3 BOTTLE FOR THE PRICE OF ONE ARGUMENT)

HMMM, STUCK IN CAPITALS

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Another vote for jameson 12. Bought a bottle in dunnes during the week for ~31 euro (on sale) so plenty of change from your 50 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 FurryFace

I prefer portwine whiskies.

FurryFace wrote: »
    em, this is a lads only thread. sorry

:D

What de feck are portwine whiskies?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Whiskeys finished in a port cask, maybe? Like the Tyrconnell port cask.

The Powers 12 is also really good and cheaper than the Jameson 12. I'd prefer Redbreast 12 to both. The Powers John's Lane is 55 euro, I think. It's a brilliant whiskey. Higher alcoholic strength too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

you can pick up glenmorainge or glenfiddich single malts for under €50 both are great stuff. if i had to buy a irish non peated it would be a btl of bushmills black bush (its aged in sherry casks i think)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Matthew23 wrote: »
    What is the best whiskey you can get for 50 euro or less. I have tried Redbreast 12 year old, Jameson 12 year old, Bushmills Blackbush and 16 year old (which may be more expensive than that) as well as the usuals. My favourite is the Jameson 12.

Any other opinions?

why not try a single malt scottish whisky for a bit of variety? Bowmore 12 and caol ila 12 are usually about 40-45, and the smokey flavours are quite interesting. Most people either love it or hate it from the first dram, so give it a shot.

If I had 50euro and wanted to spend it on good quality whiskey I'd never tried before, the first thing I'd do is go into the Celtic whiskey shop on Dawson street, Dublin, and ask if there were any whiskeys I could taste. They usually have a redbreast and a Connemara open or some such combination.

I'd invest my first 5e in a glencairn glass or two, because the glass makes a significant difference to the whiskey. Ask them how to get the best out of it if you've never used one before.

Then, I'd buy one 35-40 bottle or two 20cl bottles for about 20 each and if I had any money left, I'd buy a few of the 5cl tasting bottles.

That's if you want it just for a few wee drams every so often. If you want a whiskey for more social events, the redreast or jameson 12 would bo perfectly as they can both be drunk neat, with water or with ice as preferred.

Finally, if you want to try something Irish but completely different, greenore grain whiskey is about 30-35 for the 8/6 year old bottles. I'm not mad about it to be honest, but it gets great reviews.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

em, this is a lads only thread. sorry

I probably know as many if not more women who are into good whiskey as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Writers tears - great whiskey altogether for the price . Followed by as previously mentioned the Jameson 12 or the Powers 12.

I probably know as many if not more women who are into good whiskey as men.
    :)
    I assumed FurryFace was a male!

The joke was on 'portwine' whiskies. A small (very small) bit of 'witiness', gone awry it would seem....

ps all i know bout whiskey is that i shouldnt drink it. ever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Based on what you've been drinking I'd recommend the Bushmills 10 year old single malt.
    If you want an Irish with a bit of difference go for Green Spot.
    If you want to try something more sherried than black bush try 12 year old Dalmore.
    To dip your toe in Scotch try Dalwhinnie (15 year I think), Caol Ila is a good one to start on the peaty whiskys as it is not as much as a monster as something like Ardbeg.
    For me, there is no such thing as the best whiskey/whisky, there is just which one do I want to drink right now.
    All the above come in under €50, I'd echo what another poster said about Celtic whiskey shop, great place to go into and see what's available and maybe taste.
    Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm on a bit of a whiskey sampling binge, just about to finish off my bottle of Glenmorangie. Its nice stuff! Wasnt mad about the Johnnie walker black label, but i was new to the drinking at that stage, and may try it again.. Is the blue label costly/nice??

I have my eyes on Talisker or Glenlivet, are these nice?? or I may try bourbon, anybody know much about bourbon?

I'm a bit of a whiskey noob..

Also anybody know the best place to buy whiskey on the south side Dublin in terms of price/range??

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

nix wrote: »
    I'm on a bit of a whiskey sampling binge, just about to finish off my bottle of Glenmorangie. Its nice stuff! Wasnt mad about the Johnnie walker black label, but i was new to the drinking at that stage, and may try it again.. Is the blue label costly/nice??

I have my eyes on Talisker or Glenlivet, are these nice?? or I may try bourbon, anybody know much about bourbon?

Also anybody know the best place to buy whiskey on the south side Dublin in terms of price/range??

Ok, best place to buy whiskey on the south side of Dublin then go to the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson St, mentioned above .... it has the best selection of whiskey available

If you're a noob to whiskey how about trying out the tasting event being held by the Irish Whiskey Society this thursday, battle of the blends, 12 irish whiskies under 30 euro tasted blind in order to determine the best, Details can be found on their website www.irishwhiskeysociety.com

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

nix wrote: »

JW Blue is quite expensive - about €150 I think. Glenlivet is grand. I'd prefer the Talisker myself. The 10 yr old might not be as good as it used to be, but it's still very good. Noted for it's peppery notes.

It's a good idea to get the miniature packs. Connemara, Tyrocnnell, Bowmore, Glendronach... and a few others do them. Three or four different ages of whisky in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I have to say, Talisker is Amazing, best ive had so far, which isnt saying much..

But its damn nice!

Advertisement