Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Anyone who had difficulty listening on campus today/yesterday, that should now be resolved.

Can't confirm whether this is true or not because it's been working in Dromroe all the time for me. But hopefully this should solve any problems people were having and we can move forward. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Secondly, students are NOT funding this, NOR are they paying Kelly's wages. Thats another load of tripe.

The Communications Officer is paid using Students' Union money. This is students money.

The radio stations finances haven't been published (to the best of my knowledge), but it's safe to assume it's funded from the ULSU. Again students money.
    I'd like to clarify a few things here. I will identify myself as the technical manager of the station.

So you're a member of the development board for for ULFM, yet you don't understand the financing behind ULFM. Unless proven otherwise that ULFM has alternative funding sources (by making the financial info available)

I'm concerned. The development board has 100% control (students have no say over the station including appointing the board, or changes to the ULFM constitution, source: http://www.ulsuelect.com/?p=331) and members of the board apparently don't understand funding for the station, including that the chair is paid by the University of Limerick Students' Union which is students money.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    The Communications Officer is paid using Students' Union money. This is students money.

The radio stations finances haven't been published (to the best of my knowledge), but it's safe to assume it's funded from the ULSU. Again students money.

So you're a member of the development board for for ULFM, yet you don't understand the financing behind ULFM. Unless proven otherwise that ULFM has alternative funding sources (by making the financial info available)

I'm concerned. The development board has 100% control (students have no say over the station including appointing the board, or changes to the ULFM constitution, source: http://www.ulsuelect.com/?p=331) and members of the board apparently don't understand funding for the station, including that the chair is paid by the University of Limerick Students' Union which is students money.

I thought Kelly posted earlier about the finances? That all of ULFM's funding is from advertising? Reading back over the thread now....

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74602160&postcount=50 Point number 2 in this post.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I thought Kelly posted earlier about the finances? That all of ULFM's funding is from advertising? Reading back over the thread now....
    2. You DO NOT pay for this service, it has been funded for by advertising. Advertising that I broke my back obtaining during the summer months. The Comms Office, so far, has brought in over €26,000 in advertising. The radio station, so far, has cost less than €5,000.

-Kelly

Unless that money was directly raised by the radio station, there's an opportunity cost involved. Regardless, the Communications Officer is paid using Students' Union money.
    If the Communications officer (who is paid by students) as a part of their employment raises funds by advertising, then those funds become students money. If those funds are then used to finance ULFM then ULFM is financed by students money.

All activities that any sabbatical officer partakes in as a course of their employment is accountable to students. They are directly elected by students.
    It is run for students, by students.

Source: http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/about.htm

So it's a student radio station... yet students have no say over the running of the station under the constitutional document that governs the running of the station!

Unless that money was directly raised by the radio station, there's an opportunity cost involved. Regardless, the Communications Officer is paid using Students' Union money.
    If the Communications officer (who is paid by students) as a part of their employment raises funds by advertising, then those funds become students money. If those funds are then used to finance ULFM then ULFM is financed by students money.

All activities that any sabbatical officer partakes in as a course of their employment is accountable to students. They are directly elected by students.

So it's a student radio station... yet students have no say over the running of the station under the constitutional document that governs the running of the station!

The way I understand it, ULFM is a seperate entity, independent from ULSU which Kelly started. Therefore, money raised by ULFM is ULFM's money.

I'm a student, I have a say in how the station is run, in that I volunteered to host shows on it, and can choose what content is in those shows. We also have a say, in that we elect the Communications Officer, and come the next set of elections, I'd like to think that ULFM will be a big part of whoever's up for that position's campaign.

Also, you say we have no say over the board, but you seem to forget that ULFM was only formed over the summer. They asked people to sign up to the mailing list before the end of the second semester last year. If you had, you would have received an email asking people to nominate themselves for the board. So that's that point disproven right there.

And finally, if you still think students have no say over the board of ULFM, could I suggest waiting a bit? The had to have a board in place to launch the station early in this semester, which required it to be done the way it was. How do you, or I, or anyone for that matter, know that come next May there won't be elections to board for AY2012/13?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

The way I understand it, ULFM is a seperate entity, independent from ULSU which Kelly started. Therefore, money raised by ULFM is ULFM's money.

I'm a student, I have a say in how the station is run, in that I volunteered to host shows on it, and can choose what content is in those shows. We also have a say, in that we elect the Communications Officer, and come the next set of elections, I'd like to think that ULFM will be a big part of whoever's up for that position's campaign.
    This logic doesn't work. You're only bringing the horse to the water each time. You choose the content, but ULFM chooses whether to air it, not you. The same analogy applies to electing a Communications Officer. At the end of the day, you are relying on that person to take on board your concerns/opinions. You have to hope they listen. You have very little say.
    Also, you say we have no say over the board, but you seem to forget that ULFM was only formed over the summer. They asked people to sign up to the mailing list before the end of the second semester last year. If you had, you would have received an email asking people to nominate themselves for the board. So that's that point disproven right there.
    Once again, this is not disproving anyone's point. Just because you were given the option to nominate yourself to the board does not mean students get a say in who gets elected to said board. Where was my option to vote for you to get the position? There was none.
    And finally, if you still think students have no say over the board of ULFM, could I suggest waiting a bit? The had to have a board in place to launch the station early in this semester, which required it to be done the way it was. How do you, or I, or anyone for that matter, know that come next May there won't be elections to board for AY2012/13?

So, are you seriously suggesting we wait a year to get things sorted? Because in a year we might get to vote in elections that MAY or MAY NOT even take place? Rather than clearing things up now so as to avoid such sillyness later?

I just wish that instead of people taking Boards super seriously and get so offended, the people that matter would strive to whittle down our concerns to nil. As is, there are some who would rather revel in what they have now, than pursue even greater heights for this station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I understand alright, understand far more than you do, I assure you!

Because this thread is generally going nowhere except back over old ground I'm not going to respond to many more of the posts unless something extraordinary comes up. If anyone has any serious concerns or queries you can contact me personally.

9. Appointing and Dismissing Members of the Board
    9.1. Members of the Board will be appointed by the ULSU Communications Officer.

Source: ULFM Constitution

Board members are 100% appointed by the Communications officer.
    Nominations and appointments are different.
    How do you, or I, or anyone for that matter, know that come next May there won't be elections to board for AY2012/13?

Because the Communications Officer appoints the members of the board.

May I advise that you read the constitutional document for ULFM first before commenting on the governance structure of the station.
    I understand alright, understand far more than you do, I assure you!

Because this thread is generally going nowhere except back over old ground I'm not going to respond to many more of the posts unless something extraordinary comes up. If anyone has any serious concerns or queries you can contact me personally.

That's a rather superior statement to make.

So you are granted access to information we do not have presently have access to such as board meeting correspondence, finances, etc... because you are on the board which isn't accountable to students of the University.

You made some statements earlier which are in question, would you like to stand behind them by providing minutes from board meetings, finances, etc...? I can have them requested if you wish to disappear from further comment on this website.

Nockz wrote: »
    This logic doesn't work. You're only bringing the horse to the water each time. You choose the content, but ULFM chooses whether to air it, not you. The same analogy applies to electing a Communications Officer. At the end of the day, you are relying on that person to take on board your concerns/opinions. You have to hope they listen. You have very little say.

Once again, this is not disproving anyone's point. Just because you were given the option to nominate yourself to the board does not mean students get a say in who gets elected to said board. Where was my option to vote for you to get the position? There was none.

So, are you seriously suggesting we wait a year to get things sorted? Because in a year we might get to vote in elections that MAY or MAY NOT even take place? Rather than clearing things up now so as to avoid such sillyness later?

I just wish that instead of people taking Boards super seriously and get so offended, the people that matter would strive to whittle down our concerns to nil. As is, there are some who would rather revel in what they have now, than pursue even greater heights for this station.

Ok, I'll concede to your first point about me having a say in content.

Now, you say that we don't get a say because when "electing a Communications Officer. At the end of the day, you are relying on that person to take on board your concerns/opinions." So are you as concerned about your lack of a say in how the country is run so? Seeing as we elect TD's and hope they listen to us? No matter what system ULFM put in place, not every student is going to have a direct say in how the station is run, just as we don't have a direct say in what the SU does, we elect people who we think can best represent us. That's what we did at the end of last year. And here we are.

And be fair, they are working on our concerns. People complained/offered constructive criticism on the website, the website was redesigned. People still not happy, they're getting in someone who has the time to maintain it.

There was concern over the stream, they worked on it, seems to be working now. (at least it was in CSIS tonight, I don't use the library so sorry if i'm wrong).

highlydebased has been pretty active on this thread to be fair, and has responded to a lot of the concerns here.

And as far as I remember:
    There is an amended constitution which will be passed at tommorow's board meeting

so has that been posted yet?

just as we don't have a direct say in what the SU does

Students do have a direct say in the ULSU.

• Advertisement

That's a rather superior statement to make.

So you are granted access to information we do not have presently have access to such as board meeting correspondence, finances, etc... because you are on the board which isn't accountable to students of the University.

You made some statements earlier which are in question, would you like to stand behind them by providing minutes from board meetings, finances, etc...? I can have them requested if you wish to disappear from further comment on this website.

What statements are in question?

I'm sure if you make your case for information to Kelly she'll see to your request.

What statements are in question?

Your statement:
    Secondly, students are NOT funding this, NOR are they paying Kelly's wages. Thats another load of tripe.

Is contested by my statement.

Would you like to clarify by publishing financing sources?

This is very important since you are a member of the board for ULFM. You have formally identified yourself in this thread as such. I would hope that board members are knowledgeable about matters pertaining to bodies which they govern.
    I'd like to clarify a few things here. I will identify myself as the technical manager of the station.

Board members are 100% appointed by the Communications officer.
    Nominations and appointments are different.

Because the Communications Officer appoints the members of the board.

May I advise that you read the constitutional document for ULFM first before commenting on the governance structure of the station.

Under that version of the constitution yes, they are appointed by the Comms. Officer, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my earlier posts, for which I apologise. They put a board in place over the summer to facilitate the launch of ULFM. Seeing as ULFM wasn't formed until the summer, how were they to organise elections for the board, with the majority of students not checking their student emails/being out of the country/etc?
    There is an amended constitution which will be passed at tommorow's board meeting

Constitutions can be amended, so my point still stands that come next May, we might be dealing with a very different situation. I would hope they go down the road of tieing in the elections to ULFM's board to the ULSU elections in some way. But I don't know if that would be feasible.

Your statement:

Is contested by my statement.

Would you like to clarify by publishing financing sources?

This is very important since you are a member of the board for ULFM. You have formally identified yourself in this thread as such. I would hope that board members are knowledgeable about matters pertaining to bodies which they govern.

It would be entirely out of line for me to publish Student Union accounts on the internet. Whatever about providing the details I've provided, I certainly will not be publishing accounts or "Financial Sources" on the internet.

Like I said if you so desperately want to know, make your request to those who are in a position to release such documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

duty_calls.png

yuppy700 wrote: »
    duty_calls.png

The most sensible post on this thread in a long while. :pac:

EDIT: I include my own in the above as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A few points.

Firstly, from a moderator perspective, this isn't a playground. For those of you who insist on engaging in the thread as though it is, you will be put outside the door if you continue to. Please interpret that as a warning that I won't repeat. I don't care who you are or how important you think your opinion is. If you want to engage in some sort of Internet virtual penis comparison, there are probably other sites that cater for such things. Go find one.

The corollary is that this thread is only still open as I reckon there might just be one or two useful non-silly contributions left. If there aren't, I'll just lock it as the universe deserves better. Please keep that in mind when posting. There's been some amount of childish stupidity here at times. There's been come amount of abuse here at times. You will not continue to do either of these things, thanks. If you did (and you won't), no-one would blame relevant SU or ULFM people if they just stopped reading. Is that what you want? Cos that's what'll happen.

From a non-moderator perspective (as in just me posting with my brain turned on), there are a few things to note. I've conveniently put these in bullet points for simplicity.
    • The radio station is in the domain of the Communications Officer of ULSU. Financing for that station (fixed costs and any current/ongoing costs) would form part of the finances of the Communications office and hence part of ULSU.
    • As part of the domain of the Communications Officer (and if you remember back, this was raised as a plan in the election campaign, which means that the students collectively voted for it), it's not surprising for the Communications Officer to take responsibility for the governing structure that runs the station. Not that this is a new thing - the subeditors for An Focal are appointed by the Communications Officer (as they have been by their preceding officers (viz. the Publicity & Publications Officer, the Campaigns & Communications Officer, the Communications & Education Officer and the Transition & Services Officer. That takes us back as far as 1990ish, before which there wasn't a newspaper). This is not a new thing. In practical terms, the current editorial policy of the station (if there even if a current editorial policy) is decided by the Communications Officer. The one that gets elected every Spring.
    • Previous attempts at a radio station have been alternatively far less formal or far more formal but it's worth noting that neither option has resulted in a radio station specifically for UL that lasted any length of time. In recent years there have been a few weeks per year (at most) where there was a streaming station run with no objections from the Communications Officer. These were run on specific weeks, essentially Octoberfest and Rag week. On a few occasions I was involved with these special event streaming stations and they worked well on a time-limited basis. The informal nature of the stations from an organisation point of view and the informal nature of the studio area (achieved basically by robbing a room for a week as space was more limited in the SU building at the time) meant that for longer periods, it would not have worked at all.
    • Prior to the streaming radio experiments, UL's effort at radio was as part of Wired FM in conjunction with Mary I and LIT. That was broadcast on the FM band. Funding issues arose as, at the time, paying for the licence, fixed costs, current costs and associated rights meant that ULSU (through the central budget and later through the Clubs & Socs part) was subsidising the station in the tens of thousands of euros per year. Hence, despite an extremely convoluted formal setup (UL had a number of reps on the Wired FM board including one from the SU, one from the university and one from a radio society who, frankly, shouldn't have been in charge of drawing water from a well), ULSU withdrew from the station. It's still a sore point with the other two colleges. I had no involvement with Wired apart from some negotiations with the other colleges when I was involved with the SU (that's 2008 for what it's worth)
    • Before the arrangement with Wired, ULSU sought and got some temporary licences for broadcasting during special events, generally Rag Week. This worked quite well at the time (and I was involved), though again, it's not an option that would be available now due to changes in practicalities and changes in realities (no Limerick students or student groups will be given a licence to broadcast a student-related radio station while Wired exists and has as its purpose to cater for the student audience in Limerick - and that's formal advice from what used to be the BCI). That takes us back to 1994.
    • Cute as it is for people to talk about profit, I rather doubt that you need to worry about that for some considerable time (people have this annoying habit of getting worried about the most unlikely things). In any event, if there are any profits at any time, as I mentioned above, financing for that station (fixed costs and any current/ongoing costs) would form part of the finances of the Communications office and hence part of ULSU.
    • The university network is not the responsibility of ULSU. Or the communications office. Changes made to the network by ITD (a division of the university, who are responsible for the university network) can be discussed by ULSU with ITD (there's a network users standing committee where these things can be formally discussed, as well as regular communication) but they remain the responsibility and domain of ITD.
    • I have no idea if separate accounts are currently made for ULFM. I rather doubt that there are - it would seem far more logical to include costs as a specific Sage code for the Comms office. To be honest, that's irrelevant as long as everything is accounted for (and I'm probably safe in firmly assuming that it is). However, with that in mind, there are a number of opportunities to ask about costs and accounts if it keeps you awake at night. The Communications Officer mainly works in the Communications Office. That's in the SU building. It has a door. Doors open as well as close. Additionally of course, there are class rep meetings as well as a termly UGM/AGM. I'd start with that door though. Having said that, if memory serves, the current Communications Officer mentioned a figure of about €5,000 for equipment. Go back up the thread and have a look, I'm not especially interested enough to go back up the thread but it's near the start. Not difficult. Kindly avoid implying that it is.
    • To grow an oak tree, you first need an acorn. Which you water and watch grow. f the "ZOMG, NOT WORKING" people could remember that, it would be helpful for the workings of the universe. Having once worked in computer desktop and server administration/support, a complaint about something not working works far better if it comes with additional information about where and when etc. Then again, this isn't the technical issues section of ULFM so you might be best off going there. If there isn't one, I'd suggest to the technical people that they create one. Please bear in mind that 24/7 support for eliminating issues with every connected computer comes at a cost that is very significantly more than zero. You know those costs that some people are very concerned about? They'd increase exponentially (and really, I mean exponentially).

If I need to explain any of the above, please indicate where. Try to make your thread contribution as useful as the above (or better, more useful than the above). That's the line you attempt to exceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

sceptre wrote: »
    A few points.

Firstly, from a moderator perspective, this isn't a playground. For those of you who insist on engaging in the thread as though it is, you will be put outside the door if you continue to. Please interpret that as a warning that I won't repeat. I don't care who you are or how important you think your opinion is. If you want to engage in some sort of Internet virtual penis comparison, there are probably other sites that cater for such things. Go find one.

The corollary is that this thread is only still open as I reckon there might just be one or two useful non-silly contributions left. If there aren't, I'll just lock it as the universe deserves better. Please keep that in mind when posting. There's been some amount of childish stupidity here at times. There's been come amount of abuse here at times. You will not continue to do either of these things, thanks. If you did (and you won't), no-one would blame relevant SU or ULFM people if they just stopped reading. Is that what you want? Cos that's what'll happen.

Was after writing a post that I figured I would/should scrap and reply to your points.
    • Cute as it is for people to talk about profit, I rather doubt that you need to worry about that for some considerable time (people have this annoying habit of getting worried about the most unlikely things). In any event, if there are any profits at any time, as I mentioned above, financing for that station (fixed costs and any current/ongoing costs) would form part of the finances of the Communications office and hence part of ULSU.

The current use of reserves to fund a different ULSU service is a current issue, which brings up the issue of cost. As you said previously, Wired required tens of thousands of euro, well maybe people don't want to see something similar again.
    • The university network is not the responsibility of ULSU. Or the communications office. Changes made to the network by ITD (a division of the university, who are responsible for the university network) can be discussed by ULSU with ITD (there's a network users standing committee where these things can be formally discussed, as well as regular communication) but they remain the responsibility and domain of ITD.

The university network isn't the responsibility of ULSU, but it is the responsibility of ULSU(ULFM) to ensure this was working prior to the launch of the radio station. Alot of features, have only been implemented after people have raised them here. So maybe they might learn from this mistake and test things before going launching something half-finished.
    • I have no idea if separate accounts are currently made for ULFM. I rather doubt that there are - it would seem far more logical to include costs as a specific Sage code for the Comms office. To be honest, that's irrelevant as long as everything is accounted for (and I'm probably safe in firmly assuming that it is). However, with that in mind, there are a number of opportunities to ask about costs and accounts if it keeps you awake at night. The Communications Officer mainly works in the Communications Office. That's in the SU building. It has a door. Doors open as well as close. Additionally of course, there are class rep meetings as well as a termly UGM/AGM. I'd start with that door though. Having said that, if memory serves, the current Communications Officer mentioned a figure of about €5,000 for equipment. Go back up the thread and have a look, I'm not especially interested enough to go back up the thread but it's near the start. Not difficult. Kindly avoid implying that it is.

FYI there are no more class rep meetings. €5000 was the cost so far not just equipment (kelly said this earlier).

Derek Daly (SU President) has stated that accounts aren't ready yet but I think he said in his opinion they should be made public.
    • To grow an oak tree, you first need an acorn. Which you water and watch grow. f the "ZOMG, NOT WORKING" people could remember that, it would be helpful for the workings of the universe. Having once worked in computer desktop and server administration/support, a complaint about something not working works far better if it comes with additional information about where and when etc. Then again, this isn't the technical issues section of ULFM so you might be best off going there. If there isn't one, I'd suggest to the technical people that they create one. Please bear in mind that 24/7 support for eliminating issues with every connected computer comes at a cost that is very significantly more than zero. You know those costs that some people are very concerned about? They'd increase exponentially (and really, I mean exponentially).

They didn't do any testing (by the looks of things) before the launch. I personally would like to know why? They were funded with ULSU money, had a huge launch party but didn't have a proper website or check the ULSU to see if it worked there prior to launching.

I voted for Kelly in the previous elections and we were promised a radio station, instead I got an INTERNET radio station which is different from a radio station.

I have suggested some of this previously
    • Advertise the radio, Currently there are no posters around campus and no flyers
    • Put the new revised constitution online please
    • Talk to an american university so we have a dj during the night too instead of autodj (probably too hard to do but a suggestion)
    • Viewing next song/playlists for autodj
    • Recording shows to listen to them if we miss them?
    • Talk to spin SW/Limerick's live 95fm to see if one hour a week could be on FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

reunion wrote: »
    As you said previously, Wired required tens of thousands of euro, well maybe people don't want to see something similar again.
    I think you should read that section of my post again. If, after that, you can't see the difference, please let me know.

The university network isn't the responsibility of ULSU, but it is the responsibility of ULSU(ULFM) to ensure this was working prior to the launch of the radio station.
    If you read the final section of my post (the one dealing with support)... In any case, while I actually addressed that in a far earlier post (feel free to go and look, I think I've only made two), whether or not you'd have done it the other way around is largely academic at this point.

FYI there are no more class rep meetings.
    You still have a class rep. It's their job to represent you to the SU and the SU to you. While the setup for large-scale council meetings has been changed, class reps still have the same opportunity as before to raise issues. Some people would say that they now have more opportunities with the smaller setups (that's arguable to be honest) but there aren't fewer.
    €5000 was the cost so far not just equipment (kelly said this earlier).
    And there we go. Now you know what the costs are. I don't mean to be too narky but that wasn't that difficult. Asking the comms officer would probably give you an updated figure.
    Derek Daly (SU President) has stated that accounts aren't ready yet but I think he said in his opinion they should be made public.
    ULSU accounts to be presented will run to the end of the last trading period. I forget which month they run till but they were re-jigged a few years ago to be in line with the same trading period as the university. That's, erm, May I think. Could be June. The accounts are always made public by the way. You might or might not like the contents but they've been made public for the past 20 years at least and probably 40.

They didn't do any testing (by the looks of things) before the launch. I personally would like to know why? They were funded with ULSU money, had a huge launch party but didn't have a proper website or check the ULSU to see if it worked there prior to launching.
    Again, earlier post etc...

Could have been. You'd probably still be waiting. You know, when Century Radio was launched as Ireland's first independent national radio station, about half the country couldn't receive it. As they were commercial and advertising-seeking that was rather a big deal. It's easier when you broadcast to get most of the population (though there's always a tiny number that just can't receive broadcasts - odd as it seems, I can't receive RTE TV where I live with a regular aerial. I have every UK freeview station but none of the Irish ones except through web streaming). You're going to get extended difficulties unless you want to pay someone fulltime as tech support. Of course, that'd cost a chunk of money.
    I voted for Kelly in the previous elections and we were promised a radio station, instead I got an INTERNET radio station which is different from a radio station.
    I'll tell you this now as a factual thing. Not opinion. I said it above but I'll happily stress this one for information. The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (formerly the BCI) are never going to give UL its own broadcasting licence for a student radio station as long as Wired FM exists. They've informally said it, they've formally said it. Wired has been formally designated as the student community radio station for Limerick. It was the basis of the licence granted to them. They've said it (no broadcasting licence for UL) to former Communications Officers (plural) and they've said it to me. At best there are two options: set up an internet based station or go back to Wired FM and ask to be left back aboard. Oddly enough, one of the ways to be able to go back to Wired and ask to be left aboard is to demonstrate that UL has the will and the capability to part-staff a station, which would be having something that's working like a staffed internet station. That, of course, is before you go near sorting out the funding issues (whether the station is funded on a one-third : one-third : one-third basis or a per-student basis like before), the airtime issues (what percentage of the broadcasting time UL would get), the intra-college organisation issues (one of the colleges in particular doesn't want students on the Wired FM board of directors - they don't have students themselves on it), the issues behind a transmitter for the Castletroy area (tried tuning to Wired lately? Reception is bad because there isn't a transmitter for Castletroy) and who would have to pay for that (those things really aren't cheap). Now, having been in there a number of years ago and been part of related negotiations (which, unfortunately, did not carry on after my departure so would basically have to be restarted minus the semi-sympathetic president of one of the other Wired colleges who double-unfortunately has since and recently retired), even if that started tomorrow, you wouldn't get a result within a year. Or probably even two. There's too much bad history remembered by people who were involved with the only student broadcasting game in town for such negotiations to proceed any quicker. Even assuming that the financial issues could be sorted (any informal deals that were agreed to sort the problem would have expired in the past few years).

So... without going into even more uninteresting blow-by-blow detail about it, you get the problem now? Right now, this year, you can have an internet streaming station that will have some hurdles, obstacles and technical hiccups or you can have, erm, nothing. Regardless of what was aimed for in any election manifesto. That's it. That's the choice. Internet streaming or nothing.

Streaming-only isn't ideal. But it's possible. And quite comparatively affordable. But most importantly, possible.

I don't have any involvement whatever with ULFM. But having been through the (extended) hoops when I had an involvement with ULSU and an interest in radio and participation-based communication, you may as well be aware of what is possible and what is not.

Funnily enough and on a purely personal note, I don't ever listen to the radio. Everything I listen to (even that classy stuff on BBC radio 4) is streamed. Looking around my flat, I don't think I even own a radio. Odd.
    I've snipped your list from this reply but there's nothing bad in there at all. All good suggestions worth consideration. You could do worse than to send them to the person who's responsible for the radio station.

Watching Dana on the telly during the presidential debates has made me never want to hear the word "constitution" again, mind you (and hence she's managed to do something that four years studying law didn't manage to do).

• Advertise the radio, Currently there are no posters around campus and no flyers
    • Talk to an american university so we have a dj during the night too instead of autodj (probably too hard to do but a suggestion)
    • Talk to spin SW/Limerick's live 95fm to see if one hour a week could be on FM?
    There have been plenty of posters. How can you not have seen the black and red logo depicting the flag poles as radio antennae? Albeit for the Launch Party a few weeks ago, the posters are still up at a number of locations and serve as advertisement for ULFM.

What constitutions do you ever see online?

AutoDJ at night time is just fine. The last thing the station needs is to outsource across the ocean.

A feature that's in the works no doubt.

Handy but not imperative.

I sincerely doubt that ever happening.

• Advertisement

As regards advertising, publicity campaigns proper start next week, including postering for individual shows. The reason its left til now is to leave presenters "bed in" and to sort out some other minor technical niggles that thankfully went unnoticed

Recording shows is done and ongoing, so we're working out the logistics how to supply them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

On a slightly different non-angry/argumentative topic without the clashing of opinions,
    Can I make a request for those involved in ULFM can you make an annoouncement on my behalf, or let me do it if you can assign me a 1-2 minute slot. Nothing massive just advertising two socities I'm in.
    First Year Rep in both so feel it's my duty to represent First Years on behalf of the society, that's what I assumed with the name anyway...
    So could I either have a slot, or could you read something on my behalf.
    Do get back to me, here or otherwise, with a reply.
    Email is: 11127805@studentmail.ul.ie
    Other people on Boards, please don't start sending me crap,
    I do believe I have the block function and will use it to it's fullest if I start receiving spam and the likes.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

On a slightly different non-angry/argumentative topic without the clashing of opinions,
    Can I make a request for those involved in ULFM can you make an annoouncement on my behalf, or let me do it if you can assign me a 1-2 minute slot. Nothing massive just advertising two socities I'm in.
    First Year Rep in both so feel it's my duty to represent First Years on behalf of the society, that's what I assumed with the name anyway...
    I do believe I have the block function and will use it to it's fullest if I start receiving spam and the likes.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

You'd probably have better luck posting this on the ULFM facebook (without the email obviously) or emailing Kelly or Leah.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Certainly possible so email contactulfm@gmail.com

I think you should read that section of my post again. If, after that, you can't see the difference, please let me know.
    That was broadcast on the FM band. Funding issues arose as, at the time, paying for the licence, fixed costs, current costs and associated rights meant that ULSU (through the central budget and later through the Clubs & Socs part) was subsidising the station in the tens of thousands of euros per year.

I was letting you know that a certain ULSU service has made a loss this year which has increased the interest in ULSU services finances. I then went on to say that maybe people don't want another radio station that is required to be subsidisied yearly like the previous radio station. This is why people would like finances. (there is a yearly cost with the internet streaming licence, etc)

Could you tell me what difference I'm not getting?
    If you read the final section of my post (the one dealing with support)... In any case, while I actually addressed that in a far earlier post (feel free to go and look, I think I've only made two), whether or not you'd have done it the other way around is largely academic at this point.

I would agree but it needs to be highlighted for future ULSU services and future features that ULFM would like to roll out.

And there we go. Now you know what the costs are. I don't mean to be too narky but that wasn't that difficult. Asking the comms officer would probably give you an updated figure.

It was from memory so don't blame me if it's inaccurate :)

ULSU accounts to be presented will run to the end of the last trading period. I forget which month they run till but they were re-jigged a few years ago to be in line with the same trading period as the university. That's, erm, May I think. Could be June. The accounts are always made public by the way. You might or might not like the contents but they've been made public for the past 20 years at least and probably 40.

Derek has said they are running behind (they changed to end of September/October I think) so won't be a while for accounts...

Could have been. You'd probably still be waiting. You know, when Century Radio was launched as Ireland's first independent national radio station, about half the country couldn't receive it. As they were commercial and advertising-seeking that was rather a big deal. It's easier when you broadcast to get most of the population (though there's always a tiny number that just can't receive broadcasts - odd as it seems, I can't receive RTE TV where I live with a regular aerial. I have every UK freeview station but none of the Irish ones except through web streaming). You're going to get extended difficulties unless you want to pay someone fulltime as tech support. Of course, that'd cost a chunk of money.

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a perfect launch, but when you are in the SU (a small distance from the actual broadcasting location) in the clubs and soc's office or in the common room or in the ULSU officers rooms and you can't get the radio, that is that was embarressing
    Streaming-only isn't ideal. But it's possible. And quite comparatively affordable. But most importantly, possible.

You're right it isn't ideal, I believe a suggestion was to trial run a radio station with limerick's live 95fm/spin SW and see if there is interest in a radio station prior to spending money and launching. Many other things are possible.
    I don't have any involvement whatever with ULFM. But having been through the (extended) hoops when I had an involvement with ULSU and an interest in radio and participation-based communication, you may as well be aware of what is possible and what is not.

Funnily enough and on a purely personal note, I don't ever listen to the radio. Everything I listen to (even that classy stuff on BBC radio 4) is streamed. Looking around my flat, I don't think I even own a radio. Odd.

Your phone might be able to get FM, what about a car? how about your tv (sky)? When you are on the move, chances of someone having something capable for an fm radio is a lot higher than someone having unlimited data on their phone to stream the station.

That did make me think, why is it a radio station? Why aren't they in talks with ULTV to host some ULTV stuff? They could be a streaming channel too, more than likely need to be on a pc anyway or a phone or something with unlimited download limit anyway...

There have been plenty of posters. How can you not have seen the black and red logo depicting the flag poles as radio antennae? Albeit for the Launch Party a few weeks ago, the posters are still up at a number of locations and serve as advertisement for ULFM.

You know posters are taken down?
    What constitutions do you ever see online?

All the clubs and societies, Post graduate student association and the ULSU just as a start..
    AutoDJ at night time is just fine. The last thing the station needs is to outsource across the ocean.

Just a suggestion since I have listened to the autodj at home and found myself going to grooveshark and using their radio feature. Having a dj during the night might be an idea. It's a future idea not something I want implemented by tomorrow :/
    I sincerely doubt that ever happening.

Might make fantastic publicity for ULFM and you would be able to use the FM band limerick's Live 95fm have...
    As regards advertising, publicity campaigns proper start next week, including postering for individual shows. The reason its left til now is to leave presenters "bed in" and to sort out some other minor technical niggles that thankfully went unnoticed

The station itself could be advertised better (I understand individual shows not being advertised straight away), I haven't seen any posters (since the launch party) for the station and the 4th week after the launch for advertising seems a bit late....
    Recording shows is done and ongoing, so we're working out the logistics how to supply them.

Cool, recording the shows is a good idea. Try contacting skynet, they could provide free hosting for the shows

Turns out the posters I've seen are in fact just advertising the station alone (as opposed to the launch party). These posters were still up today. No need to lie reunion, you've seen them.

Actually reunion, I have found a startling number of instances where various clubs and societies don't post their constitutions. What's most peculiar is that you are/have been heavily involved with one of these. You might want to start prioritising :p

The site is improving drastically over the last few weeks. Not perfect but certainly taking steps in the right direction. I'm growing tired of reunion's silly demands/'suggestions'.

I mean, you suggest getting an American host during the night... Really now? Because your alternative to an automated DJ who picks songs itself is to replace that with someone across the ocean to pick songs themselves? You're trying too hard.

Turns out the posters I've seen are in fact just advertising the station alone (as opposed to the launch party). These posters were still up today.

Where are these posters located? Can you mention where some are so I might be able to find them? I did see posters for the launch party, I haven't seen any for the radio yet
    Actually reunion, I have found a startling number of instances where various clubs and societies don't post their constitutions. What's most peculiar is that you are/have been heavily involved with one of these. You might want to start prioritising

http://clubsandsocs.ul.ie/mymembership/?showcs go to that link and find any club or society's constitution there. Otherwise google this link http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/info/constitutions/ or alternatively find out the number for the club or society you require and type it in (example waterpolo is 31: http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/info/constitutions/31.pdf)
    The site is improving drastically over the last few weeks. Not perfect but certainly taking steps in the right direction. I'm growing tired of reunion's silly demands/'suggestions'.

I haven't made any demands, I have said that things were embarressing and I have made suggestions. I know my suggestions might be good or bad but I'm offering suggestions in what I feel might give students a better radio station.
    I mean, you suggest getting an American host during the night... Really now? Because your alternative to an automated DJ who picks songs itself is to replace that with someone across the ocean to pick songs themselves? You're trying too hard.

I'm trying too hard? You are critising me for coming up with suggestions? Maybe because I was finally able to stream the site today my suggestions may become more about short-term suggestions.

Also by that logic, why ever have a dj? Why not just make it autodj the entire time?
    No need to lie reunion, you've seen them.

Maybe I should start wearing glasses because I haven't seen them. I have seen the launch party posters but that would be it. I can't see a poster from the building I'm typically in to my car to my way home. I'm not going to go out on a treasure hunt. It has been said by a board member they are properly starting advertising next week anyway, so calling someone a liar isn't needed.

You shouldn't attack the poster, attack the post; people need to read the forum charter. Sceptre has also warned of this (quote below) and said this will not be tolerated.
    There's been some amount of childish stupidity here at times. There's been come amount of abuse here at times. You will not continue to do either of these things, thanks.

Are you kidding me? I know for a fact that you would have seen ULFM posters because you and I had a discussion meters away from several ULFM posters.

The only way you could not have seen them is if;

a) You are not the person I believe you are

or

b) You haven't read posters since college started.

Hilarity if it's a) btw :p

Are you kidding me? I know for a fact that you would have seen ULFM posters because you and I had a discussion meters away from several ULFM posters.

The only way you could not have seen them is if;

a) You are not the person I believe you are

or

b) You haven't read posters since college started.

Hilarity if it's a) btw :p

I could have very well been right beside a ULFM poster at some point but I also haven't read posters since I started college. You could PM me and I could let you know if it's a).

My guess is that it's b), I imagine the posters are in the SU? I'm typically towards the entrance of the main building (ski slopes) and don't see any around there. I'm never really just hanging about the SU and am typically in a rush so don't really notice posters as much.

EDIT: looking through your previous posts on boards, yeah we know each other and I'm probably the person you're thinking of :)
    I think there is one on the stairs of the SU (bad memory like I said earlier!)? (or else that a picture of the ULSU officers with kelly mentioning ULFM, I'm not sure though...) Either way there isn't much advertising where I typically am, (Either that or I'm blind)

• Advertisement

I could have very well been right beside a ULFM poster at some point but I also haven't read posters since I started college. You could PM me and I could let you know if it's a).

My guess is that it's b), I imagine the posters are in the SU? I'm typically towards the entrance of the main building (ski slopes) and don't see any around there. I'm never really just hanging about the SU and am typically in a rush so don't really notice posters as much.
    So what you're really admitting to is lying because you heavily implied that these posters simply must not exist since you had not seen them. If you had taken the time to base this on fact rather than anecdotal evidence from where you usually are, you would have found some instances of ULFM posters hanging up. Why debate about these posters when you admit to not looking for them?

Also, there are several clubs and societies who do not have pages on the C&S site s they don't have id's to plug in to the url you gave me. (Such as Water Polo,) Where are you getting these ids? This is getting OT though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement