Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Nockz wrote: »
    So what you're really admitting to is lying because you heavily implied that these posters simply must not exist since you had not seen them. If you had taken the time to base this on fact rather than anecdotal evidence from where you usually are, you would have found some instances of ULFM posters hanging up. Why debate about these posters when you admit to not looking for them?

Ok I chance one of my previous suggestions from no posters and no flyers to not enough posters and flyers?

Why are we having this discussion when one of the board members said they were properly advertising the radio next week?
    Nockz wrote: »
    Also, there are several clubs and societies who do not have pages on the C&S site s they don't have id's to plug in to the url you gave me. (Such as Water Polo,) Where are you getting these ids? This is getting OT though.

If you click info it takes you to a page which has a number, that number=club/society number. Common constitution is on the site for clubs/societies who don't have constitution/have the common one as their constitution.

Point was there are constitutions available online for other things...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

ulfmcaptcha.png

:pac:

Suggestion:

Music is still really low while the hosts of the shows mic is loud. Any chance you could turn up the music slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

reunion wrote: »
    Suggestion:

Music is still really low while the hosts of the shows mic is loud. Any chance you could turn up the music slightly?

FYI it would be best to post this on the ULFM facebook page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

CJKeane wrote: »

What he said.

Speaking from an impartial point of view, I think that it's good that UL FM is starting to give a few competitions to it's shows. Should boost listenership a bit, methinks.

• Advertisement

What if you don't have a facebook account and have a google plus account?

Considering the amount of replies from UL board members already on this thread, is this not suitable?
    OhMSGlive wrote: »
    What he said.

Speaking from an impartial point of view, I think that it's good that UL FM is starting to give a few competitions to it's shows. Should boost listenership a bit, methinks.

They already gave away 2 blackberrys. http://216.75.20.63:8700/index.html listener peak is 35 with 3 listening atm... (one is probably the computer in the radio station).

Any chance ye could maybe play ULFM out in the courtyard someday like the music/dj soc do to promote themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Niall09 wrote: »
    ulfmcaptcha.png

:pac:
    I want to leave some feedback but I can't tell if the refresh button is working or not on the security code. :pac: http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/contact.php any help? I dont use facebook too often and I would prefer to leave feedback directly on the website instead of facebook. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    I want to leave some feedback but I can't tell if the refresh button is working or not on the security code. :pac: http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/contact.php any help? I dont use facebook too often and I would prefer to leave feedback directly on the website instead of facebook. :(

Ah to be fair, who'd have thought of looking at the "Contact" section of the website to get in contact? That's some Newtonian **** right there. :pac:

What if you don't have a facebook account and have a google plus account?

Considering the amount of replies from UL board members already on this thread, is this not suitable?

This is suitable enough if you're not looking for an immediate response. We're not checking Boards constantly and might not see your post right away. The UL FM Facebook page is always open on the on-air computer in the studio so the best bet for the presenter who's on at the moment to see it is that account. As for Google+, we currently don't have one (obviously) but I'll bring it up at the board meeting tomorrow.
    Any chance ye could maybe play ULFM out in the courtyard someday like the music/dj soc do to promote themselves?

We are currently working on that.

Jester252 wrote: »

ContactULFM@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Thanks for that but to be the message system that the website has should be working or at least the email addressee you gave me to be up on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Suggestion:

This is more up to the radio hosts than the radio station itself. If you listen to a couple of shows, you'll find that some of them sound fine while others sound unbalanced. I try to keep the levels around the zero mark on the indicatior with both the mic and music so that there is an even sound. Other hosts should also do the same, or be taught how to if they haven't already. Also, for anyone who is doing a show, just be careful not to turn the music too loud as the compressor will squash it and it will sound poor and bassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The reason the email address is no longer on the website is because of spam, basically.

There is another improved website being worked on at the moment. www.ulfm.ie will go live in the morning.

Courtyard broadcast being looked at as a somewhat permanent arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Just been reading through this catching up, I've been listening to ULFM quite a bit while on Erasmus and I'm enjoying bits of it that I'm hearing. It's steadily improving and I commend all the crew who have put in so much effort.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned afterwards as I skipped a few pages, but regarding the aesthetics of the site, does it really matter? Are those of you complaining about it staring at the screen while listening? I'm sure the majority, like me, open up the tab hit play and continue to procrastinate online. Do you stare at the radio in the car when your driving? Fair enough the site is purely basic, but in my opinion it doesn't need to be anything more. Once I can listen, I'm happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Fair enough the site is purely basic, but in my opinion it doesn't need to be anything more. Once I can listen, I'm happy
    The site is in the middle of an upgrade anyway...

kpac wrote: »
    The site is in the middle of an upgrade anyway...

Nice to know. All improvements in the running of ULFM are a good thing, just noting that I think it's rather insignificant unless they start to included a lot of different thing on the site as opposed to a link to the radio

djnr8 wrote: »
    Just been reading through this catching up, I've been listening to ULFM quite a bit while on Erasmus and I'm enjoying bits of it that I'm hearing. It's steadily improving and I commend all the crew who have put in so much effort.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned afterwards as I skipped a few pages, but regarding the aesthetics of the site, does it really matter? Are those of you complaining about it staring at the screen while listening? I'm sure the majority, like me, open up the tab hit play and continue to procrastinate online. Do you stare at the radio in the car when your driving? Fair enough the site is purely basic, but in my opinion it doesn't need to be anything more. Once I can listen, I'm happy

That wasn't the problem, the problem was they launched an internet radio station with no website along with streaming problems. After people brought this up in this thread, a website was finally made and streaming problems essentially disappeared. ULFM have admitted to bad planning and we are all in hopes that they have learnt from this and are planning things better.

I don't believe anyone ever said it isn't steadily improving.

The site doesn't need a constant rebranding just so you know, would it be possible to launch with a site 98% finished instead of changing the site every 2 weeks?

I looked at the site regarding that constitution change and I decided to read it as Polar Ice mentioned it earlier in the thread.
    6.1. All Members of the Board shall be current UL students.
    Is the communications officer a current UL student? I believe she isn't... It states no where in the SU constitution that sabbatical officers are UL students.
    6.3.6. To represent UL FM in a professional manner.
    That was clearly violated in a post by the chair in this thread, very unprofessional behaviour.
    6.3.3. To communicate their activities to the membership.
    Can we be communicated the activities of the board meetings?
    Can we get a copy of the archived minutes (Every meeting's minutes is archived)?
    4.3. Honorary Membership – Any person can be put forward for an honorary membership by a current member. A person will only be granted this type of membership if they have made an exemplary contribution to the development of UL FM. This type of membership will only be granted with the agreement of two-thirds of the Board. The founder is automatically an honorary member.
    How has ruth scott, will leahy or Vivion Grisewood made an exemplary contribution to the development to ULFM?

I believe the reason the constitution was raised in the first place was the fact that the communications officer holds too much power. They are allowed to eject anyone from a board meeting and elect the people they wish to the board. The board can change the constitution without telling its members of such an activity.

Appendix I
    12. The chair may eject from the meeting any person who acts in an aggressive and disrespectful manner.
    14. Equal Opportunities
    14.1. All activities of the Student Radio Association will be undertaken with the following statement of Equal Opportunities in consideration:
    14.1.1. "UL FM believes in equal rights for all, regardless of sex, race, age, creed, sexuality, ability or political persuasion”
    I would question the equal opportunity part of the constitution as not every member has an equal right. The members closest to the communication officer are elected to the board as the communication officer appoints them.
    9.1. Members of the Board will be appointed by the ULSU Communications Officer.
    There is nothing in their about an AGM or an election of any kind. I certainly also don't want to believe on good faith this dictatorship, freely elected board members these board members will do the right thing when it was raised already with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How has ruth scott, will leahy or Vivion Grisewood made an exemplary contribution to the development to ULFM?

Well Will Leahy launched the station.

Can we be communicated the activities of the board meetings?
    Can we get a copy of the archived minutes (Every meeting's minutes is archived)?

I'm sure they information would be made available to you if you asked Kelly.

As above Will Leahy launched the site and afaik Vivion Grisewood was heavily involved in starting the station (I am open to correction on this, I'm merely recalling notes in e-mails and the like)

The site doesn't need a constant rebranding just so you know, would it be possible to launch with a site 98% finished instead of changing the site every 2 weeks?
    Yes, that's what's being done FFS. It's a pity people aren't as quick to help out as they are to give out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I think you hit the nail on the head there

There is nothing in their about an AGM or an election of any kind. I certainly also don't want to believe on good faith this dictatorship, freely elected board members these board members will do the right thing when it was raised already with them.

Struggling to decipher the hyperbole here I'm afraid!

Yeah, especially when a college student can't differentiate between "their", "there" and "they're". :rolleyes:

You've lost me here. What do you mean by "raised already with them"?

I'm sure they information would be made available to you if you asked Kelly.

Considering there are board members posting in this thread and the fact that they changed the constitution as a result from it being highlighted in this thread to no longer require these minutes to be public, clearly they don't want the minutes to be made public. I ask highlydebased to provide information about the minutes and information regarding this.
    As above Will Leahy launched the site and afaik Vivion Grisewood was heavily involved in starting the station (I am open to correction on this, I'm merely recalling notes in e-mails and the like)

If you look at the constitution (which I'm sure everyone has read....) they give the reasons, kelly founded the station, vivian made a logo, ruth is an alumni and will launched the site.
    Yes, that's what's being done FFS. It's a pity people aren't as quick to help out as they are to give out.

So after the summer and after 5 weeks of being launched, a 98% finished website is finally being launched.
    bazkennedy wrote: »
    I think you hit the nail on the head there

Actually he didn't. Since he skipped pages on this thread, he mightn't have read that the complaining previously was about the original site that was launched and not the one as of 20/10/2011.

Since they finally launched a site, the complaining has gone and it has been just noting some technical issues.

If you wish to just have a site that has a play button, then just incorporate the streaming radio app into the ulsu page and delete the ulfm.ulsu.ie site.

So since they made ulfm.ulsu.ie and bought (and is in use atm) ulfm.ie, clearly the website is important. So the board have felt it does matter about the aesthetics.

What I'm saying is, the radio station is on par to a dictatorship. The communications officer appoints their own board members. I'm asking for elections or even an AGM. Some method of the members having a say in the radio.
    3.3. UL FM shall represent the voice of the students to the best of its ability
    how can it represent the voice of the students when the students don't even have a say in the election of board members?

reunion wrote:
    So after the summer and after 5 weeks of being launched, a 98% finished website is finally being launched.
    Err...no, a 100% finished website will be launched. After me telling you 2 or 3 times already, you still don't understand.

Just one other comment...why the heck are all the bad-mouthers so worked up over a "constitution"? I'm in a cycling club with about a year and a half. We have no constitution, we don't plan on creating a constitution. We have about 40 members and the club is running perfectly. Not every organisation in the country needs a bloody constitution. The fact that there is a constitution just allows people to give out about it.

Another example: 3 years ago my local community was organising a fairly big event. A committee was set up etc etc. One day a neighbour of mine was passing in the car. He stopped and started giving out about the committee not doing anything, which wasn't true, obviously. Was he in the committee? No. Would he come to a meeting and voice his opinion? No.

It's a known fact that people who give out are the ones who usually stay clear of getting involved in whatever they are giving out about. And what's more is they use a medium such as an internet forum to hide behind. Why not called into the SUComm office some day and give out like you do on here?
    reunion wrote:
    So the board have felt it does matter about the aesthetics.
    Yes, because when people give feedback on a service, usually the feedback is taken into account and something is done to improve that service.

</rant>

I think I should run for presidency.

reunion wrote:
    What I'm saying is, the radio station is on par to a dictatorship. The communications officer appoints their own board members. I'm asking for elections or even an AGM. Some method of the members having a say in the radio.
    how can it represent the voice of the students when the students don't even have a say in the election of board members?

I can forsee an AGM. That's not beyond possibility.

Well if you've burning issues you want dealt with at a board level (or, want a say in the station) how about you send an email to Kelly, or to contactulfm at gmail.com, and these can be dealt with at board level- we're not going to consider posts on boards.ie for agendas.

I think I should run for presidency.

After that post, I'll vote for you.

Seriously, if people have problems with it, they should take it directly to Kelly or any of the directors. Posting it here isn't really the way to go about it. (Although it does make for some pretty interesting board-ing).

After that post, I'll vote for you.
    Thanks, but unfortunately I think it's a bit late to get the required vote of 4 local authorities. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks, but unfortunately I think it's a bit late to get the required vote of 4 local authorities. :rolleyes:

Ah, damn! :( :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement