Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    The identity itself doesn't matter - I don't care who reunion is to be honest. But the board have a right to know who's requesting a copy of the minutes, just as reunion has a right to request a copy. (It's not mentioned in the constitution, but it's just common sense.)

I'll request the minutes with my real name and student number if it's that much of an issue to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

none of your business who he is. post reported

I wasn't asking him to identify himself to me. I was asking him why he doesn't want to identify himself to the Comms. Officer/ULFM board.

Nockz wrote: »
    Is this not at all contradicting?

Not from my perspective, no. (Open to corrections, as always.)
    I'll request the minutes with my real name and student number if it's that much of an issue to you.

The minutes themselves are not an issue to me. What the board does at their meetings is not really my concern. But for all Colm or the other board members know, reunion might not be an actual UL student. (I'm not saying (s)he isn't, but the board doesn't know that, hence the request for identity.)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Question, you say in the email that you "formally request minutes", I'm just wondering can a formal request be made anonymously?
    I actually don't think it can. Don't hold me to that though.
    reunion wrote: »
    Actually a request can be made anonymously.
    Based on the current ULFM constitution, the minutes of board meetings do not have to be made available. The previous version of the constitution stated they were to be available on the website, but that wasn't upheld.
    In the interest of ensuring you are a current UL student you will have to provide your actual name to us. Otherwise we will not entertain your requests.

kind regards,

Colm
    Regardless if someone requests minutes, does it matter if they are a UL student?
    The previous ULFM constitution stated that minutes were to be made avaialble on the website, that never happened.
    Now when people request the minutes the receive replies such as "we will not entertain your requests".
    But the board have a right to know who's requesting a copy of the minutes
    It's not like there are nuclear codes in the minutes, are there? Does it really matter who sees the minutes? It's not like you're trying to hide anything, are you?
    just as reunion has a right to request a copy
    Actually, that's an issue. As of the 10/10/11 version of the constitution, there is no mechanism for non board members to view the minutes for some reason.

There's some commentary here: http://www.ulsuelect.com/

Not from my perspective, no. (Open to corrections, as always.)

The minutes themselves are not an issue to me. What the board does at their meetings is not really my concern. But for all Colm or the other board members know, reunion might not be an actual UL student. (I'm not saying (s)he isn't, but the board doesn't know that, hence the request for identity.)

you need to get a grip and stop trying to play board room games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

As usual with the ULSU, it's cloak and daggers and clouds of secrecy sort of stuff. Disgraceful out of Kelly, and i've been one of her staunchest defenders so far as regards the radio.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    [1]Regardless if someone requests minutes, does it matter if they are a UL student?
    The previous ULFM constitution stated that minutes were to be made avaialble on the website, that never happened.
    Now when people request the minutes the receive replies such as "we will not entertain your requests".

It's not like there are nuclear codes in the minutes, are there? Does it really matter who sees the minutes? It's not like you're trying to hide anything, are you?

[2]Actually, that's an issue. As of the 10/10/11 version of the constitution, there is no mechanism for non board members to view the minutes for some reason.

[1] Actually, it does matter. We're not talking a general chat between two presenters here, we're talking a top level board meeting within the station. Chances are, some features could be discussed here that they might not want someone from a rival company (say Wired FM, for example) picking up and taking as their own. Hence why they need to ascertain if the person requesting the minutes is a current member of UL FM (i.e. a current UL student).

[2] An amended constitution was passed at a board meeting ages ago. I presume that between the current switchover between webmasters and the prioritization of keeping the station up and running that there simply wasn't a chance to post the new constitution on the website.
    you need to get a grip and stop trying to play board room games

I haven't played board room games in ages, thanks. Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Actually, that's an issue. As of the 10/10/11 version of the constitution, there is no mechanism for non board members to view the minutes for some reason.

Well it's not like reunion is 007. (S)he was told, that if he/she identified themselves in an email that the board would consider the request for the minutes. Seems pretty common sense to me as OhMSGlive pointed out, it does matter if he/she is a UL student, competitions are probably planned these meetings, ideas for features, plans of companies to go and sell advertising to, etc,

And just because it's not in the constitution doesn't mean they're not available. For christ sake, people are acting like the constitution is holy scripture! It's already been overhauled once, and the station's only been up what, about five weeks?
    As usual with the ULSU, it's cloak and daggers and clouds of secrecy sort of stuff. Disgraceful out of Kelly, and i've been one of her staunchest defenders so far as regards the radio.

You talk of the ULSU being secretive? Do you not see the massive hypocrisy in this statement when reunion hides behind a username on boards, even within official communications to the ULFM board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

[1] Actually, it does matter. We're not talking a general chat between two presenters here, we're talking a top level board meeting within the station. Chances are, some features could be discussed here that they might not want someone from a rival company (say Wired FM, for example) picking up and taking as their own. Hence why they need to ascertain if the person requesting the minutes is a current member of UL FM (i.e. a current UL student).

Dissemination should be the last item on any ULSU or sub-ULSU meeting agendas (as it was at SU Exec meetings). This allows the board members to know what can and can't be shared with those outside of the board. If this is being done then the Director should have the ability to remove and mark the space of sensitive or unresolved issues and freely post the rest to all members.

If not, then all content is assumed to be non-sensitive and resolved, so where's the beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Dissemination should be the last item on any ULSU or sub-ULSU meeting agendas (as it was at SU Exec meetings). This allows the board members to know what can and can't be shared with those outside of the board. If this is being done then the Director should have the ability to remove and mark the space of sensitive or unresolved issues and freely post the rest to all members.

If not, then all content is assumed to be non-sensitive and resolved, so where's the beef?

Because you know, we spend the board meetings snorting cocaine and we spent all the money on a holiday to cuba, ULFM is all a cover up! :pac: :pac: :rolleyes: :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

Because you know, we spend the board meetings snorting cocaine and we spent all the money on a holiday to cuba, ULFM is all a cover up! :pac: :pac: :rolleyes: :o

Good one ;)

I've just caught back up with this thread and reading about the constitution. It strikes me that the clubs and societies seem to be able to organise committees, constitutions, budgets, events, advertising and have huge resources.

I know talk was done about why Skynet weren't contacted about setting up a streaming radio, but that's old news now, I'm wondering why ULFM wasn't set up as a society which could easily have amended the common constitution to include the CO as a core member.

I've been out of UL a few years, but as far back as to when I started there was no radio society. I've seen students come in and inquire about no less that a hundred clubs/societies, but never radio.

With such a low peak-listenership it's clear that the student body in UL is either unaware or uncaring of this, their, student radio station. It's also clear that if posters are up, they aren't working.

Think like a first year who has never set foot in the SU.
    Have all the campus houses been canvased with flyers?
    Get it playing everywhere possible. Has anyone approached the Stables or Javas for air time?
    Are the SU shops playing it? If not, why not?
    Ask ITD to include a desktop shortcut straight to the popup player for all campus computers.

ULFM could be the Unions best tool to win back the ever dwindling population of student who give a **** about what's going on.

I have listened for a good few hours now and I can't help noticing the lack of structured hourly news. Just 5 minutes an hour either reading out a or playing a prerecorded news update on UL and the Union would go a long way.

Have all the campus houses been canvased with flyers?
    Get it playing everywhere possible. Has anyone approached the Stables or Javas for air time?
    Are the SU shops playing it? If not, why not?
    Ask ITD to include a desktop shortcut straight to the popup player for all campus computers.

I have listened for a good few hours now and I can't help noticing the lack of structured hourly news. Just 5 minutes an hour either reading out a or playing a prerecorded news update on UL and the Union would go a long way.

The shops aren't playing it anyway, very good idea though, could even expand it to all the on campus restaurants, (CSIS, Kemmy, B1, Paddock, Scholars, etc)

Too lazy to read back over the thread, but I remember a post saying playing it in the courtyard was being looked for. And news items were on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Hahahahaaha wow...

^ I don't think the CSIS café, Kemmy or B1 even have speakers set up...

^ I don't think the CSIS café, Kemmy or B1 even have speakers set up...

Nope they don't. But before August the SU didn't have a radio studio set up. And I'm pretty sure it would be easy to set up a few speakers if a deal could be one. Just a suggestion to boost listenership.

Nope they don't. But before August the SU didn't have a radio studio set up. And I'm pretty sure it would be easy to set up a few speakers if a deal could be one. Just a suggestion to boost listenership.
    Cafés such as those I have listed would not play the radio. Think about the clientèle each of the different cafés and pubs get on campus. Now consider the music and content ULFM broadcasts. Get the pubs in on it for sure, but the cafés won't fly.

Cafés such as those I have listed would not play the radio. Think about the clientèle each of the different cafés and pubs get on campus. Now consider the music and content ULFM broadcasts. Get the pubs in on it for sure, but the cafés won't fly.

Hmmm...you're probably right. Stables, Scholars, the courtyard, and the SU shops would all be feasible though.

I think the quality would have to increase 10 fold before you go subjecting people across campus to it indiscriminately.

I think the quality would have to increase 10 fold before you go subjecting people across campus to it indiscriminately.

That's a rather negative view of the quality of programming tbh. Many of the shows are very entertaining imho.
    And anyway, the only way to improve, would be to raise the profile of the station, thereby getting more people to volunteer to host, co-host, etc, thereby increasing demand for shows, and causing weaker shows to get pulled.

Hit the nail on the head here!

Hit the nail on the head here!
    And that only begs the question if people in a pub would even be listening to minutes of friendly banter? I'm willing to guess they just want music :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Wow, just wow.
    "Top level board meeting"
    "features could be discussed here"
    "rival company"

That is the biggest load of hits here. All of the high level corporate strategy that's discussed at the board meeting must make it all top secret. ULFM and it's average single digit listenership wouldn't want rivals such as the student run Wired FM to get wind of the competitive advantage that ULFM is deploying.

I find this picture funny [1]
    [2] An amended constitution was passed at a board meeting ages ago. I presume that between the current switchover between webmasters and the prioritization of keeping the station up and running that there simply wasn't a chance to post the new constitution on the website.

The amended constitution, which removed the requirement to publish minutes, and made the process to amend the constitution for ULFM unclear was posted on the website. The 10/10/11 version that I referred to is the amended one posted.

I find this picture funny [1]

I don't. Post reported.

Someone PM me when the conversation has steered away from the politics of UL FM and back to what really matters - feedback on the station itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Can anyone give figures for listenership?

They usually are here http://216.75.20.63:8734/ but not atm.

The last I saw, the peak was around the 40(EDIT: wrong according to the next post, so maybe this is the wrong link, was the one they were testing the stream on at the start of the semester. Apologies.) mark, but that was last weekend, and afaik the individual show advertising started this week, which should boost the figures.

Also, I reckon the iphone/blackberry apps will boost listenership as well, seeing as atm you need to be at a pc to listen.

highest peak was 102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

They usually are here http://216.75.20.63:8734/ but not atm.

The last I saw, the peak was around the 40 mark, but that was last weekend, and afaik the individual show advertising started this week, which should boost the figures.

they changed the port number from 8734 to 8700

you can view the listenership figures here http://216.75.20.63:8700/index.html

yuppy700 wrote: »
    they changed the port number from 8734 to 8700

you can view the listenership figures here http://216.75.20.63:8700/index.html

That resets itself so won't be so accurate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffeetogo

Bring back Wired!

• Advertisement

coffeetogo wrote: »
    Bring back Wired!

Wired is still there.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement