Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Please keep it civil guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

With these kind of listening figures it's safe to say that the radio has been a complete failure?

Will it last past christmas?

surely radio presenters will eventually get sick of it when they realise they're only preaching to the five or ten people that they hang out with in college every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

With these kind of listening figures it's safe to say that the radio has been a complete failure?

surely radio presenters will eventually get sick of it when they realise they're only preaching to the five or ten people that they hang out with in college every day.

Of course the other clients on here will say otherwise, but it's very early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's still early days. Granted, the figures aren't pretty at the moment, but when the advertising, competitions, iphone/blackberry/android apps are all up and running figures will improve I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BurningBridges

Let's just throw more money at it!!!

• Advertisement

Nice first post. :pac:

And by "more money" do you mean the other odd 20,000 quid raised that hasn't been spent (to the best of my knowledge)?

Ulster Bank are funding most of it through the enablement fund. Unsure if I should really make that public but at least it might debunk the "students are paying for it", myth.

Speaking about wasting money, time is money and the amount of time that has been wasted on shíte such as what has gone on in this thread... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Can someone break down the payments to IRMO for me?

Is it simply they pay a royalty on every individual song played? Or is it a bulk sum per week / month etc?

Is it dependent on listeners? Do you pay more royalties if there are more listeners?

Basically I'm just wondering, for those times (which seems like the majority of the day) when literally nobody is listening are expenses still being accumulated?

Can someone break down the payments to IRMA for me?

Is it simply they pay a royalty on every individual song played? Or is it a bulk sum per week / month etc?

Is it dependent on listeners? Do you pay more royalties if there are more listeners?

Basically I'm just wondering, for those times (which seems like the majority of the day) when literally nobody is listening are expenses still being accumulated?

Do they even have to pay anything to IRMA seeing as it's a streaming station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

Ulster Bank are funding most of it through the enablement fund. Unsure if I should really make that public but at least it might debunk the "students are paying for it", myth.

*cough* Opportunity Cost *cough*

I don't really care about the costs, it seems reasonable enough to be fair, just had to clarify the debunk the "students are paying for it", myth claim, seeing as it has already been discussed in this thread. I think Polar Ice explained it well if you need a refresher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Do they even have to pay anything to IRMA seeing as it's a streaming station?
    Around 4000 was spent on equipment (from a german supplier), which considering what we got was very good value (we were quoted almost 10,000 for the same equipment from an Irish supplier). We've also had a soundproofed partition built in the room, and paid IMRO...

If the technical manager says they are paying the IMRO then I guess they are

*cough* Opportunity Cost *cough*

I don't really care about the costs, it seems reasonable enough to be fair, just had to clarify the debunk the "students are paying for it", myth claim, seeing as it has already been discussed in this thread. I think Polar Ice explained it well if you need a refresher.

Well, just saying it because this individual seemed certain the students/SU were paying for it. Which is not in fact true.
    A few years ago, someone got us wired fm. starting something isn't a huge achievement, running something successfully is. I would put wired fm as a flop, since it, you know, flopped. The board of ULFM have achievements and failures. Cutting out a portion of the student population who the radio is for and who are helping fund this endavour (through Kellys salary, initial costs, etc) is a huge failure.

yuppy700 wrote: »
    If the technical manager says they are paying the IMRO then I guess they are

In relation to IMRO AFAIK we have a membership to it but we are not paying them royalties, same goes for the PPI. I don't have the cost of either to hand...

look it up so

look it up so

Look it up yourself if you really want to know!

How can I find out what you're paying IRMO?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

How can I find out what you're paying IRMA?
    First of all, it's IMRO, not IRMA.
    Secondly, I'm sure if you made a query to IMRO they would be happy to assist.

woops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Sid, Youll have to forgive OhmysGlive and Highlydebased

A lot of people get delusions of grandeur and start thinking they're above their station when they get a small bit of power / responsibility in life.

Clearly being involved with a corporate steamrolling sensation that is the ULSU FM entity has led the above posters into believing that they're actually important in the world, and that the oxygen they consume wouldn't best be spent elsewhere.

The upshot - ignore those two vitriolic wastes of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sid, Youll have to forgive OhmysGlive and Highlydebased

A lot of people get delusions of grandeur and start thinking they're above their station when they get a small bit of power / responsibility in life.

Clearly being involved with a corporate steamrolling sensation that is the ULSU FM entity has led the above posters into believing that they're actually important in the world, and that the oxygen they consume wouldn't best be spent elsewhere.

It a student radio streaming station relax

• Advertisement

I'm not even going to honour that with a response.

That's it, I'm done with this thread. This could've been a very good source of feedback for the station, but it's posts like demolitionman's that blow the opportunity for the rest of the boardsies. Such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Speaking about wasting money, time is money and the amount of time that has been wasted on shíte such as what has gone on in this thread... rolleyes.gif

Aren't ulster bank meant to be treated as a sponsor then?
    I don't see them mentioned anywhere on the site and I haven't heard them thanked on the radio.

Unless Ulster bank paid for kelly's salary, students are still contributing towards the cost of the station.

I also question that €20,000 raised, my guess is it mostly came from advertising in the paper and not from the radio.

I would like to know how much was raised last year for advertising in the paper and a balance of income and expenditure for the radio only.

Unless it's a requirement that you respond to this thread, then it isn't wasted time. As this should be using your free time posting on boards and not when you should be acting as technical manager.
    OhMSGlive wrote: »
    First of all, it's IMRO, not IRMA.
    Secondly, I'm sure if you made a query to IMRO they would be happy to assist.

I actually made that query, they won't let me know how much ULFM is paying.
    Look it up yourself if you really want to know!

You should know this information as finances should be presented at every board meeting. Since you are on the board, you should know. Maybe I'll just look at the minutes... *cough*

http://www.imro.ie/content/limited-online-exploitation-licence
    That is the link to how much it would cost to run your own internet radio station. What ULFM are paying isn't clear from this, hence why sid_justice asked how much it cost.

An unhelpful condescending tone is a terrible response. An intelligent response would have been to say: ask kelly for the finances or that isn't my area on the board so I'm unsure send an email to the board or I'll pay attention at the next board meeting and might be able to find out for you. Someone on boards (A member of ULFM) asked how much it cost for the IMRO licence. It is entirely unclear what uLFM are paying, we would like to know. €5000 has been stated for equipement on this thread, €20,000 has been raised through advertising (via the paper (no ads on ULFM))

More updates on the email responses from ulfm
    colm wrote:
    [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]Good- because we will not note petty flatulent demands by anonymous individuals. No constitution ever intended to replace common sense you know.[/FONT][FONT=tahoma,sans-serif] [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

The entire board is well aware of your comments, we've watched the thread since the start. You managed to send the email to several individuals not on the board at all too, by the way.[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]You will find the board shares my opinion.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]

Colm tells me they won't note my petty flatulent [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]demands requests (I have never demanded, I requested).

Also Kelly responds with the same emails attached and with Jason Kennedy added not sharing the same opinion as the board colm is on...

[/FONT]
    Dear Anon,

I will raise your matters at the next meeting of the ULFM Development Board and revert back to you.

Kelly O’Brien
    Communications Officer
    And the spokesperson of ULFM gets back to me 30 minutes later saying my petty flatulent demands will be noted.

Colm not for president, as he would need to speak for the people and not himself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Demolition man, consider this a warning.

Personal abuse is not tolerated here. Next time you'll be banned.

reunion wrote: »
    Unless it's a requirement that you respond to this thread, then it isn't wasted time. As this should be using your free time posting on boards and not when you should be acting as technical manager.

Its my bloody business what I do with my time! None of yours!

Its my bloody business what I do with my time! None of yours!

Actually the time you spend on ULFM is my business as that is a radio station I am helping to contribute to.
    Speaking about wasting money, time is money and the amount of time that has been wasted on shíte such as what has gone on in this thread... rolleyes.gif

As you are implying ULFM is wasting money as a result of you wasting your time on this thread, I merely stated that if you spend your free time on boards, it is not wasted money for ULFM. If however you are meant to be doing one of the following:
    6.6.1. To supervise the maintenance and repair of equipment.
    6.6.2. To be an advisor on all technical matters.
    6.6.3. To make recommendations to the board of new equipment purchases.
    6.6.4. To train members on the proper use of the radio room and equipment.
    6.6.5. To assist with all technical problems.

and are instead posting in this thread, then you are wasting ULFM time, which you pointed out equals money.

I never asked what you do in your spare time, I merely said I hoped it was during your spare time as otherwise you would be wasting ULFM time (which = money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bella26

Reunion. Number one, please get a life or a possibly a hobby. Do you have nothing better to be doing with your time than constantly criticizing the hard work and efforts the the members of the ULFM board are putting into getting the station set up. Members of the ULFM board are volunteers and receive no payment for their hard work. What outcome do you expect from the constant nagging and complaining? You are coming across as an extremely ignorant person that has a smart comment on everything. You should be supporting the station as it is a positive addition to the University of Limerick and if you wish to continue with the negativity, please keep it to yourself.

bella26 wrote: »
    Reunion. Number one, please get a life or a possibly a hobby. Do you have nothing better to be doing with your time than constantly criticizing the hard work and efforts the the members of the ULFM board are putting into getting the station set up. Members of the ULFM board are volunteers and receive no payment for their hard work. What outcome do you expect from the constant nagging and complaining? You are coming across as an extremely ignorant person that has a smart comment on everything. You should be supporting the station as it is a positive addition to the University of Limerick and if you wish to continue with the negativity, please keep it to yourself.

well colm Bella26, you should read the forum charter located here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205438

Colm You are to attack the post not the poster. That is a bannable offence.

As for nagging and complaining, This got us a new website and a new constitution. I'm clearly not ignorant as I've read the constitution, I suggest you get a copy of the dictionary and look it up and while you are at it get a copy of the ULFM constitution.

As with anything, there is positive and negative feedback. I have provided suggestions and identified areas that need improving.

Now to get back on topic about ULFM and not myself.

When do the ULFM board actually meet?

The listenership is seriously low (49 only), what are the plans to improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

I haven't posted here in a very long time, but I have been reading and with all due respect your all acting the same. Everyone trying to one up each other, and the problem with that? No one as far as I can tell is taking anything from this anymore it is just a case of who can out do the other person.

Some of the most ignorant posts I have seen here are in fact from the ULFM board. Forget about those who are wanting to remain anonymous, those who are public about their positions and the work they are putting into ULFM have been some of the most ignorant, annoying, inconsiderate and il-informed posters here. Then at the same time, they have been posting here, I have seen them seeking feedback, help and answering questions.

I have seen many posters provide feedback, provide help (sometimes not in a very good tone) but as it stands there are certain individuals here who are constantly trying to give feedback that simply will not be listened to any longer. Evidence of that? The complete acknowledgement that "we have discussed you at our meetings". Not your ideas, not your feedback, you......

Can people grow up? Those working on ULFM are volunteering and helping out. Those posting here are doing their best to help out in a way they see fit. I find it insulting for anyone to suggest that if your not involved directly your not involved. Anyone who knows me, knows what I stand for, giving feedback is just as well as standing in the position yourself. Without people in the position there is no one to lead, without people to give feedback those leading are blind.

Edit: To clarify in case there are still questions over who I am and people still haven't picked up on it, I am Keith Young. These comments are not meant to hurt anyone, just to make you all realize you need to step back and take a breath. Boards can get it heated, don't let it **** with your mind.

Tbh, this is worse than anything reunion has said in this thread.... What's even worse is, people (including me) wanted reunion to identify himself to the board in an email, yet someone (jumping to conclusions here) close to the board, maybe even on it, created this account to post here anonymously....

This thread is becoming increasingly pointless as the days go on.

the vast majority of us here are part of UL, part of ULFM, a fucking community, and yet we're all (and I'm probably guilty of this as well) just sniping back and forth, each trying to have the last say on an issue... Think we all just need to step back for a bit and chill for a while and come back to this when things have cooled down a bit...

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Tbh, this is worse than anything reunion has said in this thread.... What's even worse is, people (including me) wanted reunion to identify himself to the board in an email, yet someone (jumping to conclusions here) close to the board, maybe even on it, created this account to post here anonymously....

This thread is becoming increasingly pointless as the days go on.

the vast majority of us here are part of UL, part of ULFM, a fucking community, and yet we're all (and I'm probably guilty of this as well) just sniping back and forth, each trying to have the last say on an issue... Think we all just need to step back for a bit and chill for a while and come back to this when things have cooled down a bit...

I think for the bolded reason that the thread should be closed for a while, just to give everyone a chance to cool down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement