Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tiny34

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's a thread where people can discuss ULFM, I think we as students have the right to criticize something that we pay part of our fee for.

Kelly is an elected representative that we voted for (myself included) so I don't think anyone offering criticism needs to "get over themselves", maybe you do?

To be honest Im sick and tired of students going on about how they pay for things, everybody pays for things..its not a free world. Just because you pay for something it doesnt mean that you shudnt take into consideration the amount of work put into it to get it right. UL FM has aired for just about 3 proper full days..ask yourself would you have it perfect in those days if it were you?? Kelly may be a representative you voted for but she is also human and we all know things arent always the way they should be on the first go no matter who you are, you learn as you go on....and give it time before you complaiin..shes not a bloody machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Tiny34 wrote: »
    To be honest Im sick and tired of students going on about how they pay for things, everybody pays for things..its not a free world. Just because you pay for something it doesnt mean that you shudnt take into consideration the amount of work put into it to get it right. UL FM has aired for just about 3 proper full days..ask yourself would you have it perfect in those days if it were you?? Kelly may be a representative you voted for but she is also human and we all know things arent always the way they should be on the first go no matter who you are, you learn as you go on....and give it time before you complaiin..shes not a bloody machine

Ok I'm sorry I'll go to the thread where someone asked what people thought of ULFM......oh wait........

Yes I suppose in the utopian society you envision where people take what they're given and never dare question or speak there mind this kind of thing wouldn't happen, but hey, communism isn't for everyone

How naive are you that you don't think people have a right to comment on something that is a direct result of an elected official?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It's a thread where people can discuss ULFM, I think we as students have the right to criticize something that we pay part of our fee for.

Kelly is an elected representative that we voted for (myself included) so I don't think anyone offering criticism needs to "get over themselves", maybe you do?

When I pay for something I also pay for the right to compain if the product/service is not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

We were asked our opinion on ULFM... Hence the criticism. Clearly the people who feel there are things which can make it better are the ones who are going to be the loudest. If all ULFM ie Kelly (I'm assuming Kelly was the one who originally posted) wanted was a load of pats on the back and thank yous then she should never have posted here. This thread's primary function is to give our opinions on ULFM. That's what people are doing and it's what people were asked to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tiny34

Ok I'm sorry I'll go to the thread where someone asked what people thought of ULFM......oh wait........

Yes I suppose in the utopian society you envision where people take what they're given and never dare question or speak there mind this kind of thing wouldn't happen, but hey, communism isn't for everyone[/QUO

Have you read most of the comments..there's a difference between thoughts and being bitchy because "you paid for it " and communism..really? all I said was its a bit too early to criticize..voice what you think is wrong but do it in a more civil way..that is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Kelly,

With all due respect, you are an elected public representative and I would imagine that many of those souls offering constructive criticism voted for you.

Like a chef, if you cant handle the heat, then what the f*ck are you doing front and center at the oven?

You should have realised this when you were handing out lolly-pops last semester, gathering votes.

Judging by your reaction to this thread and from having witnessed your Hust during the hustings, perhaps being a public figure isnt for you.

My own opinion is that a functioning website should have taken far more priority over a novelty idea such as ULFM.

Questioning Kelly's abilities is crossing a line. She's clearly putting a lot of effort into getting the station that I and lots of others asked for and voted for up and running.
    This thread is about ULFM, not how capable she is a Comms. Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Yes I suppose in the utopian society you envision where people take what they're given and never dare question or speak there mind this kind of thing wouldn't happen, but hey, communism isn't for everyone[/QUO

Have you read most of the comments..there's a difference between thoughts and being bitchy because "you paid for it " and communism..really? all I said was its a bit too early to criticize..voice what you think is wrong but do it in a more civil way..that is all :)

If you actually took the time to read my previous posts I don't think the way I voiced my opinion was in anyway uncivilised, I merely pointed out how some of the banter on the show is filled with a lot of in house jokes that won't appeal to the everyday UL student.

I don't see why you feel the need to jump down my throat for having an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Considering that ULFM is an online radio station then the website has to be at least "acceptable". It's not hard to design a good website. Just use joomla or wordpress and it'll be sound. There is only one page there. All they needed to do is make one page look good! That should not be a big ask for the Union considering the budget they have. I mean if you're going to pay for loads of equipment then why not just give a proper web designer 50 to 100 quid to get it right? It's online, it needs to look good online from day one. It seems a half arsed job. That kind of thing won't help get listeners. If it looks good people will stay, if not there's more chance of it repelling people.
    Do you actually design websites? If you do, you'll realise that the actual GUI of a website is the hardest part to design, not the internal workings. Basically what I'm trying to say is that once you have the GUI designed, adding 3-4-5-10 pages after that is not hard.

And if you think you can get a professional web designer for €50-100, you're in the wrong place. Most web designers charge that per hour.

kpac wrote: »
    Do you actually design websites? If you do, you'll realise that the actual GUI of a website is the hardest part to design, not the internal workings. Basically what I'm trying to say is that once you have the GUI designed, adding 3-4-5-10 pages after that is not hard.

And if you think you can get a professional web designer for €50-100, you're in the wrong place. Most web designers charge that per hour.

I am aware what it takes to design a website. Not a designer but I do know the ins and outs. Two things, joomla or wordpress can negate most problems with design as they have many sleek and professional themes that are easy to implement and edit to your own liking for that matter. Secondly I may have quoted the wrong price for a web designer however my point is still valid. Having spent thousands of euros on the equipment why shirk away from spending the money on the website which is equally as important as the equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Even taking that into consideration, the GUI isn't terribly difficult. If the budgets are/were tight WRT the website then give it as a project/challenge to the students. A small monetary prise and kudos for the person who can come up with the best template. Then pretty much anyone could fill in the details around the template.

What was the necessity to have this service up and running so quickly? A product should only go to market when it is ready for the consumer. R+D must be done thoroughly first and foremost.

I haven't had a chance to listen to ULFM or check out the website so I will reserve judgement but the reactions here have been pretty conclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Yes, I agree with both of you on getting a template for the website etc.

I do however feel that seeing as this is a "radio station", the most important thing to get up and running first was the actual "radio station". The website is not a necessary part of the project. Heck they could have said, "Here's the streaming link, download VLC and copy and paste the link into it". But not everyone would know how to do that, so they provided a simple way for people to listen temporarily through their browser.

Anyway, everyday I look at the ULFM website I see changes. Give it time. I was actually going to volunteer my time to do the website, but seeing as how quick people are to judge, I don't think I will.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Even taking that into consideration, the GUI isn't terribly difficult. If the budgets are/were tight WRT the website then give it as a project/challenge to the students. A small monetary prise and kudos for the person who can come up with the best template. Then pretty much anyone could fill in the details around the template.

What was the necessity to have this service up and running so quickly? A product should only go to market when it is ready for the consumer. R+D must be done thoroughly first and foremost.

I haven't had a chance to listen to ULFM or check out the website so I will reserve judgement but the reactions here have been pretty conclusive.

Not really conclusive yet to be honest. A lot of positive feedback on facebook, some constructive criticism, a good bit of negativity.

And I think it was put up and running because Kelly said if she was elected she'd work on a radio station, and if it wasn't up and running pretty quickly, there would no doubt be people on boards bitching that "Oh she's broken her election promises!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!" And the radio itself is ready, all they have to do is work on the minor technical issues that any new station was going to have when starting out.

Yes, I agree with both of you on getting a template for the website etc.

I do however feel that seeing as this is a "radio station", the most important thing to get up and running first was the actual "radio station". The website is not a necessary part of the project. Heck they could have said, "Here's the streaming link, download VLC and copy and paste the link into it". But not everyone would know how to do that, so they provided a simple way for people to listen temporarily through their browser.

I see your point but it is actually an "online radio station", it'd be nice if the website was better. Honestly, I think that ULFM has serious potential but right now the website is driving me away from it. Perhaps that's just me though...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Not really conclusive yet to be honest. A lot of positive feedback on facebook, some constructive criticism, a good bit of negativity.

And I think it was put up and running because Kelly said if she was elected she'd work on a radio station, and if it wasn't up and running pretty quickly, there would no doubt be people on boards bitching that "Oh she's broken her election promises!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!" And the radio itself is ready, all they have to do is work on the minor technical issues that any new station was going to have when starting out.

Referring specifically to the reaction in this thread which is overall negative but obviously that is just 'so far' and not final.

I don't see how people wouldn't have been understanding if Kelly had delayed a while saying it was "under construction". It can't just appear out of nowhere. Different people take different approaches.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Referring specifically to the reaction in this thread which is overall negative but obviously that is just 'so far' and not final.

I don't see how people wouldn't have been understanding if Kelly had delayed a while saying it was "under construction". It can't just appear out of nowhere. Different people take different approaches.

I think the reckoning behind it was to have something up and running, that way she could get more people involved. If she had just said "OK, who wants a show" while not broadcasting anything it would have made things a lot harder imho. This way it's easier to get a schedule going, plus, they can start building a listener base from the start of the year. But that's just my thinking, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I dont question the work Kelly is putting in, I am sure she is doing the best she can, I just think priorities should be different. Also, her reaction is not conducive to a good public representative. You didnt see Derek Daly whinging back to his personal facebook page looking for his friends support when his head was under the hammer in the other thread, and that is half of it, you must have a thick skin to be a public figure/representative.

Im sure Kelly is very good at what she does, I enjoyed many of her articles in An Focal last year. However now she is in charge, and it is up to her to make the changes and decisions. This is the part I think she is lacking. I dont think she is cut out for being in such a position.

I mean at the hustings, every candidate had 90 seconds to explain why they should be elected. Most candidates went over this and had to be told to stop. Kelly, a prospective COMMUNICATIONS officer at the time, could not speak for more than 20 seconds and ran back to her chair in a giggle of 5 year old laughter. So essentially you have a public representative of ULSU who lacks the ability to deal with the public, an excellent writer, but no ability to deal with the public.

The radio station was rushed and appears amateurish and lack lustre. It would have been better having this as a running project to be released next semester when all glitches have been ironed out, presenters from the student population found and perhaps a license to broadcast wouldnt have gone astray either.

The focus should have been on creating a website like TST, cutting down on the number of printed editions of an focal, and actually communicating relevant UL news soon after it happens...

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I dont question the work Kelly is putting in, I am sure she is doing the best she can, I just think priorities should be different. Also, her reaction is not conducive to a good public representative. You didnt see Derek Daly whinging back to his personal facebook page looking for his friends support when his head was under the hammer in the other thread, and that is half of it, you must have a thick skin to be a public figure/representative.

Im sure Kelly is very good at what she does, I enjoyed many of her articles in An Focal last year. However now she is in charge, and it is up to her to make the changes and decisions. This is the part I think she is lacking. I dont think she is cut out for being in such a position.

I mean at the hustings, every candidate had 90 seconds to explain why they should be elected. Most candidates went over this and had to be told to stop. Kelly, a prospective COMMUNICATIONS officer at the time, could not speak for more than 20 seconds and ran back to her chair in a giggle of 5 year old laughter. So essentially you have a public representative of ULSU who lacks the ability to deal with the public, an excellent writer, but no ability to deal with the public.

The radio station was rushed and appears amateurish and lack lustre. It would have been better having this as a running project to be released next semester when all glitches have been ironed out, presenters from the student population found and perhaps a license to broadcast wouldnt have gone astray either.

The focus should have been on creating a website like TST, cutting down on the number of printed editions of an focal, and actually communicating relevant UL news soon after it happens...

Aside from the first three paragraphs of your comment which are irrelevant to this discussion about ULFM you make legitimate points. First of all, it IS AN AMATEUR STATION , they're not professional DJ's. There are only so many glitches that can be worked out in planning. The final kinks have to be ironed out by actually putting these plans into practice. Actually listening to the station is entertaining, they play good music imo and the two hours yesterday were quite good.

And as for bringing news to people as it happens, do you not think that in time this will become part of the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

CJKeane wrote: »
    Rag radio could only play free songs because they were broadcasting terrestrially (over the air waves) and had to follow BCI guidelines as well as IMRO. If they had played other songs then they would have had to buy a blanket license from IMRO.

Would they not need a license for an internet radio station?

This thread needs to go a bit back on topic and stop being at each other throats.

its great to see ULFM up and running but I would like to point out as this is an INTERNET radio station, it's web presence is everything. To launch without a proper website developed was a mistake but you live and learn. In hindsight everyone would have done everything differently. Kelly is taking the concerns about the website on board and it can be seen now that Macs can now play the radio station. Priorities first, allow everyone to be able to listen to it then make the website look pretty.

Kelly, you must accept some people did and didn't support the radio and you are representing all students so you will hear feedback from both sides positive and negative. This thread isn't the view of everyone on campus but a select few.

Also those who say making websites is easy, how about just taking that little flash section from ulfm's page (or using iframes) and make a better looking website?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Argh! Too many things to respond to!

1. I did not start this thread. I found it yesterday.
    2. You DO NOT pay for this service, it has been funded for by advertising. Advertising that I broke my back obtaining during the summer months. The Comms Office, so far, has brought in over €26,000 in advertising. The radio station, so far, has cost less than €5,000.
    3. Yes we do have a licence. This is an IMRO licence and we can stream 24/7 eith it and play whatever music we want. Streaming only stations do not need BCI licences and, as a result, have a lot more freedom. If anyone wants the in's and out's of it, do contact me.
    4. There is a difference between myself and Derek Daly and our situations. Derek has been right to keep shtum about his because of its sensitive nature. I, however, have no problem in address people giving out about something I created. At the very least, I am learning what progress needs to be made.
    5. Delta Kilo - how dare you even mention my hust in such a way. The incident you are referring to was a question directed at candidate Keith O'Neill. He was asked how he proposed to fund the information kiosks he proposed. I directed the question to him (the 20 seconds you are referring to) and I sat down. How can you then say that I had trouble filling my allocated talk time? Rubbish. And I didn't bloody giggle.

-Kelly

2. You DO NOT pay for this service, it has been funded for by advertising. Advertising that I broke my back obtaining during the summer months. The Comms Office, so far, has brought in over €26,000 in advertising. The radio station, so far, has cost less than €5,000.
    3. Yes we do have a licence. This is an IMRO licence and we can stream 24/7 eith it and play whatever music we want. Streaming only stations do not need BCI licences and, as a result, have a lot more freedom. If anyone wants the in's and out's of it, do contact me.
    4. There is a difference between myself and Derek Daly and our situations. Derek has been right to keep shtum about his because of its sensitive nature. I, however, have no problem in address people giving out about something I created. At the very least, I am learning what progress needs to be made.
    5. Delta Kilo - how dare you even mention my hust in such a way. The incident you are referring to was a question directed at candidate Keith O'Neill. He was asked how he proposed to fund the information kiosks he proposed. I directed the question to him (the 20 seconds you are referring to) and I sat down. How can you then say that I had trouble filling my allocated talk time? Rubbish. And I didn't bloody giggle.

-Kelly

Congrats Kelly on achieving what you have thus far. Even though I would probably have taken a different approach thats simply human nature to think as such and by no means takes away from your efforts, achievements or ability.

Just out of curiosity, do you still stand by your original post in this thread or in hindsight would change elements of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Thanks Townie :)

In hindsight? No... no I don't think I would change it. If I hadn't posted at all then this would merely have become another thread for certain people to sully an SU related service for no other reasons than to a) hear (read?) their own voice and b) cause offence.

But since I highlighted this thread on facebook and the like, people have private mailed me, chatted me, even RANG me to say that they are delighted with ULFM and wish to see it 'go forth and prosper' if you will :)

It also allowed some genuinely constructive criticism to rear its (not-so-ugly) head and for some changes to be made (just put those in motion btw).

So, long story short, I would not change my earlier post but I would add to it now - thank you to everyone who wants to see this station become an important part of the UL experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

-Kelly

1. This thread wasn't directed at you, more peoples opinions about ULFM
    2. congrads! I didn't know that and I'm sure there are quite a few people who didn't know that either.
    3. Just wondering since I heard about rag radio!
    4. This is a public forum so you can't stop people giving out about everything so just take the good with the bad. Instead of taking this personally, how about add a link on the website with, if you have any suggestions send them to sucommunications@ul.ie
    5. Delta Kilo should be banned for a week for breaking the UL forum charter. (if I had to guess he was from Keiths campaign and is still bitter)

In relation to your first post, I do think if you wanted to answer questions or queries relating to ULFM then your method wasn't the best. If you wanted to complain to the listeners offering criticism then your method was chosen correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

-Kelly

Hi kelly

I was the one who started this thread.

As for the incident Delta Kilo was referring to, I think he is referring to your original hust for which you had 90 seconds. ULTV's coverage of the hustings shows you only using just over half of your 90 seconds for this part.

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/ULTVSOC#p/u/27/R9j2r6feNcA

Also the blog www.ulsuelect.com had this to say about your hust.

"
    Communications:
    Kelly O’Brien
    Really pushed her experience with the paper. However it was rather disappointing in her opening 90 second statement when she ran out of stuff to say extremely fast was was found saying “90 seconds is very long right now”.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You know, if you guys stayed on topic and stuck to the issues raised about the radio station, you might actually have a worthwhile discussion. Do that, please. And don't personalise the discussion - that's worth less than nothing.

/mod

On-topic, personally I'd prefer to see a working station on day 1 with less-necessary bells and whistles like a shiny website on day 100 (if ever) rather than the other way around. To be honest, there's been little mention of what people want to see (ie actual content) on an associated website. The streaming radio bit works (I gather works for most, with something being done about those for whom it doesn't). Having had the displeasure of having to load realplayer-style software just to listen to the odd link on RTE and having to have my eyes blown off by the joy that's the Today FM website, I quite like the UL FM thing just working. I flicked to the page for the first time yesterday evening and it just worked. Which was nice.

Setting up a community-based streaming station is always a case of chicken and egg. You can choose to train fifty radio presenters for weeks, have your website completely ready, test the cojones off it, have 168 hours of scheduled shows a week and hope you develop a listenership. Or you can essentially do it the other way around. Growing a regular listenership audience is akin to growing a decent blogger's audience - it's typically going to happen slowly, regardless of how much cash or time you spend on it as an initial outlay. Having something up and running makes it much easier to get people involved in doing work for it, rather than a series of intentions. Obviously having a room that could be given to it full-time is a necessary ingredient and this isn't something that's been available (room limits and previous execs having been less understanding) since Wired FM cleared out of UL ten years ago (you can ask me why and I'll tell you why, at least up to the limit of what I can legally say on a public forum) but actually putting something in place is undoubtedly worthwhile.

Bells and whistles... less important. Unless someone wants to explain to me why bells and whistles are just as or more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

sceptre wrote: »
    Having had the displeasure of having to load realplayer-style software just to listen to the odd link on RTE.

You were the last person I expected to sink to the level of installing that fine software. Anyway in times of need here in Germany I find using vlc and then and copying the link to the live stream from the RTE webpage works a treat.

You'll have to go digging through the source code of the webpage to get the link but tis easy to find. They end in .asx or .smil

Woo! New equipment came today, we now have 4 mics! Foam insulation also arrived and builders are in to put in a second door to soundprrof the studio. It's all go!

Should go a long way towards fixing the problems with the levels. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nomnoms91

Hey guys,

Not sure who started this post and to be honest I haven't read it all. Just wanted to show a little support for the UL FM crew - I'm Station Manager of IC Radio, the student radio station at Imperial College London, and I'm from Limerick (the UL FM Music Director is my best friend wupah).

Honestly, whoever started this post was only asking for trouble - the station has only been active for less than a week?! Of course there are going to be some difficulties when you're starting a completely new station from scratch. No matter how much you test and prepare these kind of things you're only going to learn what works and what doesn't when you actually put the station online.

The internet website is rough, yes, but anyone who's done any sort of web design will know that you start basic and build it up. There's a lot of room for development and it will require some work, but more importantly, some time. As in, more than 5 days worth of time!

As for the broadcasting around campus, I can tell people first-hand that dealing with union regulations when it comes to these things is no mean feat. Internet radio is the easiest to deal with and even at that it's full of rules and hoops to jump through. Starting the station was an incredible endeavour to take on - our station at Imperial has been around for thirty years and I can't imagine having to build one from nothing.

Kelly - I feel your pain. When someone says anything negative about IC Radio I always feel personally at fault, but to be fair, there're always people who want to stir the pot. I think that you're doing a fantastic job so far, you've given UL the beginnings of a radio station that it was sorely lacking. I've been sneakily listening to the inner workings of the station through Zara (music director) and people aren't giving you half the credit that you deserve for this whole thing. Hollaaaaa!

In short, everyone calm down - a superb facility has been put into place down there, and I can promise you that it won't go to waste. Thirty years on and IC Radio is still broadcasting as much as ever - student radio is something that people will always be interested in.

Lots of radio love,
    Aislinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

nomnoms91 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Not sure who started this post

I started this thread!

yuppy700 wrote: »
    What do people think ?

And that's what I said

I think we should get back on topic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WinterBlizzard

I've glanced through this thread so I apologise if I mention something which has already been said.

The website: as reunion put it:
    reunion wrote: »
    its great to see ULFM up and running but I would like to point out as this is an INTERNET radio station, it's web presence is everything. To launch without a proper website developed was a mistake

Maybe it's just me, but the website is very difficult to find. If you Google UL FM it doesn't seem to be on the first 3 pages that I can see anyway. Also, the URL doesn't seem to be mentioned on either the Facebook or the Twitter pages (I could be wrong on this though, please correct me if I am)

Also, the overall layout of the website when I saw it last (about a week or two ago) was quite bad (cannot find the URL right now so I'm going from memory). It gave off a hugely amateur vibe which could easily have been remedied by postponing the launch a little longer. The border around the edges of the site was not aligned properly which really bugged me. The main grievance I had with the site was that the music began to play automatically. This is very irritating when you open the site in a new tab and are currently busy. The last thing you need is loud music suddenly blaring in your ear.

I don't mean to get into any personal debates with/about Kelly but I do feel that her initial post in this topic was somewhat melodramatic and led to things being blown quite out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Things are a bit heated in here I am sensing. It's ok folks. We should just chillax and listen to some good music. Hold on a second while I fine the link.... :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement