Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've glanced through this thread so I apologise if I mention something which has already been said.

The website: as reunion put it:

Maybe it's just me, but the website is very difficult to find. If you Google UL FM it doesn't seem to be on the first 3 pages that I can see anyway. Also, the URL doesn't seem to be mentioned on either the Facebook or the Twitter pages (I could be wrong on this though, please correct me if I am)

Also, the overall layout of the website when I saw it last (about a week or two ago) was quite bad (cannot find the URL right now so I'm going from memory). It gave off a hugely amateur vibe which could easily have been remedied by postponing the launch a little longer. The border around the edges of the site was not aligned properly which really bugged me. The main grievance I had with the site was that the music began to play automatically. This is very irritating when you open the site in a new tab and are currently busy. The last thing you need is loud music suddenly blaring in your ear.

I don't mean to get into any personal debates with/about Kelly but I do feel that her initial post in this topic was somewhat melodramatic and led to things being blown quite out of proportion.

Can't speak for the twitter page, but the Facebook has posted the link to listen a number of times. And if you click on Info, on the page, you'll find both the link below and a link for your VLC or whatever.

ulfm.ulsu.ie

Might be no harm to add a link to the Bio on the twitter page though.

As for the website, it's functional. As soon as you click it the player starts playing. At the moment there's not much else to see, so the layout is irrelevant at the moment. It could be better. It will get better. The most important thing is being able to listen to the station imo. Personally I prefer it playing automatically, but that's just me, I can see how it might annoy some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    As for the website, it's functional.

Yes, functional as in it doesn't load with a 404 error
    At the moment there's not much else to see, so the layout is irrelevant at the moment

I completely disagree!

I'm just left looking at the marquee scroll past and you think the site layout is irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Polar Ice wrote: »

As a poster already pointed out, it automatically starts playing which is annoying. Its like those sports articles with video interviews that automatically start playing as you're trying to read the article. If I want to listen/watch I'll click play myself.
    I completely disagree!

I'm just left looking at the marquee scroll past and you think the site layout is irrelevant?

Even looking at the code you can see its poorly done. I have an idea who might have wrote it but its only a hunch so won't be divulging my inadmissible theory on that.

Again this is all relative. Some people don't care as long as they have a working link. Others like myself (techies) do think its important. Its no harm to give feedback on the website anyway. It might kick-start an improvement, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Ah come on, who is going to stay looking at the ULFM webpage while they're listening to it playing?
    Even looking at the code you can see its poorly done.
    Well for a start it uses tables which is soooo Web 1.0 :D The CSS looks like an older version of Dreamweaver created it.
    Some people don't care as long as they have a working link. Others like myself (techies) do think its important.
    I don't care what the website looks like at the minute, I'm studying Electronic and Computer Engineering and I started web design when I was 14.

The one point I do agree with both of you on is that it starts automatically. Sunday, my dad was a sleep on the couch, I went onto the ULFM website and hey presto, wasn't my volume turned fully up. He wasn't too happy.
    Its no harm to give feedback on the website anyway. It might kick-start an improvement, who knows.
    Exactly.

I completely disagree!

Functional as in you can listen to the radio station from it, which I think is the most important thing at the moment.

And I don't get why you would stay staring at it at the moment? Sure, if they were posting articles or news updates on the page then yes, layout would be important, but at the moment all you need the page for is listening to the station.

As for it starting up automatically, you're never going to keep everyone happy on this one, I'd probably be complaining if every time I logged onto the page if I had to scroll down, find the player, click play.
    kpac wrote: »
    Ah come on, who is going to stay looking at the ULFM webpage while they're listening to it playing?

Well for a start it uses tables which is soooo Web 1.0 :D The CSS looks like an older version of Dreamweaver created it.

I don't care what the website looks like at the minute, I'm studying Electronic and Computer Engineering and I started web design when I was 14.

The one point I do agree with both of you on is that it starts automatically. Sunday, my dad was a sleep on the couch, I went onto the ULFM website and hey presto, wasn't my volume turned fully up. He wasn't too happy.

Exactly.

Yes, agree, the criticism of the website is fair to an extent, but people also need to realise that it is only a temporary stopgap solution to get the station out to people.

If you've been doing web design since 14 I'm sure they wouldn't turn you down if you volunteered to help out with the website?

• Advertisement

If you've been doing web design since 14 I'm sure they wouldn't turn you down if you volunteered to help out with the website?
    I was thinking of offering, but not sure if I'm taking on too much. I'll see next week, I've a few projects and other assignments to do first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

As for the website, it's functional. As soon as you click it the player starts playing. At the moment there's not much else to see, so the layout is irrelevant at the moment. It could be better. It will get better. The most important thing is being able to listen to the station imo. Personally I prefer it playing automatically, but that's just me, I can see how it might annoy some people.

Currently it isn't functional. If you are on campus using an ethernet cable the radio doesn't play. I actually would love to listen to the radio while I'm working. Considering UL students are the audience this is a huge blunder.
    nomnoms91 wrote: »
    The internet website is rough, yes, but anyone who's done any sort of web design will know that you start basic and build it up. There's a lot of room for development and it will require some work, but more importantly, some time. As in, more than 5 days worth of time!

Actually anyone who has done web design would know to test the website in a beta area and when it looks good launch it. I believe some people here are asking why wordpress (15 minute installation) or other similar free website building material wasn't used. It's user and admin friendly.

And for the record, the internet radio has started streaming for the last 5 days, that is understandable that there will be a few on air error such as the sound. However Kelly was elected since the summer so there has been more than 5 days worth of time, roughly 3 months to get a decent website up and running. The posters for the launch party however were better done than the website. What was wrong with taking the ULSU website layout for the ULFM website?
    nomnoms91 wrote: »
    Kelly - I feel your pain. When someone says anything negative about IC Radio I always feel personally at fault, but to be fair, there're always people who want to stir the pot. I think that you're doing a fantastic job so far, you've given UL the beginnings of a radio station that it was sorely lacking. I've been sneakily listening to the inner workings of the station through Zara (music director) and people aren't giving you half the credit that you deserve for this whole thing.

In short, everyone calm down - a superb facility has been put into place down there, and I can promise you that it won't go to waste. Thirty years on and IC Radio is still broadcasting as much as ever - student radio is something that people will always be interested in.

http://rag.skynet.ie/?path=about
    It says there that skynet (this was linked earlier in the thread) has equipment and can stream content. That was done by students who were unpaid. I was able to listen to ragradio anywhere on campus, yet I can't listen to ULFM. If you look at the launch poster and the work that went into that and then you look at the face of ulfm, the website, it seems like the launch party was more important than the website.

Also wired FM was a previous attempt at a radio station on campus. It flopped, some people don't want to see that happen again.

kpac wrote: »

Who would watch people present a radio station?
    http://media.spinsouthwest.com/live_stream/

Also from that logic, why even have anything on the website except a play button then?

Functional as in you can listen to the radio station from it, which I think is the most important thing at the moment.

And I don't get why you would stay staring at it at the moment? Sure, if they were posting articles or news updates on the page then yes, layout would be important, but at the moment all you need the page for is listening to the station.

If listening is the most important thing, than explain
    Note:Issues remain with the stream not working in certain on campus locations. This includes computers connected via ethernet (wired) internet connections including the SU and the Library. So far it seems to function perfectly via ULwireless
    This is cutting out alot of students who the radio is for and aimed at. That is a huge blunder
    They already ignored PolarIce on his offer of making a website. I believe PolarIce is a hater who is going to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

reunion wrote: »
    Currently it isn't functional. If you are on campus using an ethernet cable the radio doesn't play. I actually would love to listen to the radio while I'm working. Considering UL students are the audience this is a huge blunder.

This is cutting out alot of students who the radio is for and aimed at. That is a huge blunder

This is not the fault of anyone who made any website, it is the fault of ITD. It's being looked at.

Actually anyone who has done web design would know to test the website in a beta area and when it looks good launch it. I believe some people here are asking why wordpress (15 minute installation) or other similar free website building material wasn't used. It's user and admin friendly.

And for the record, the internet radio has started streaming for the last 5 days, that is understandable that there will be a few on air error such as the sound. However Kelly was elected since the summer so there has been more than 5 days worth of time, roughly 3 months to get a decent website up and running. The posters for the launch party however were better done than the website. What was wrong with taking the ULSU website layout for the ULFM website?

http://rag.skynet.ie/?path=about
    It says there that skynet (this was linked earlier in the thread) has equipment and can stream content. That was done by students who were unpaid. I was able to listen to ragradio anywhere on campus, yet I can't listen to ULFM. If you look at the launch poster and the work that went into that and then you look at the face of ulfm, the website, it seems like the launch party was more important than the website.

Also wired FM was a previous attempt at a radio station on campus. It flopped, some people don't want to see that happen again.

Also from that logic, why even have anything on the website except a play button then?

If listening is the most important thing, than explain

They already ignored PolarIce on his offer of making a website. I believe PolarIce is a hater who is going to hate.

Are there any people who actually do want to see this fail? :confused:

As for it not working, as highlydebased says, this appears to be a problem on the ITD side of things, not ULFM. And they've been working on it since launch to get it working. We can argue all we want about whether adequate testing was done before the launch, the fact is we're here now. You can listen in on campus accomodation and through ULwireless. And I think I saw someone posting yesterday that it's working in the CSIS building(but then we use a different system there so maybe that's why). I'm sure they're as frustrated as anyone that they can''t get through to a lot of people on campus.

I see what you did there!
    I'm not a hater. I could be made into one though with some of the comments on facebook and what I'm reading here though

If you quote kelly's reference to this thread "Haters gonna hate :'("

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

I won't bother trawling through this but its very simple. If you don't have the time to do it right then don't bother posting something looking for applause. Its a terrible site. If you want to fix it but don't have time then fair enough. Don't whine about it. Get someone who can fix it.

If you build something that's sh!te then don't cry when people tell you its sh!t

I don't know, I know I don't watch people presenting. It is a radio station after all, not a TV. Unless you're just trying to make sense of saying "Huh, shur ya wouldn't see that on the radio...."
    Exactly, that's all that's needed. Actually no, you'd also need a stop button in case you need to run to the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was listening to the radio earlier, really enjoyed the Talk To The Wall show. Seems pretty good for something up for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Who cares about what the webiste looks like. you click play and away you go.

the music so far though, has been ****e. who are these two? Grainne and Sean?

The script? are you serious? will someone get bir on the phone and get him to take voer

Who cares about what the webiste looks like. you click play and away you go.

the music so far though, has been ****e. who are these two? Grainne and Sean?

The script? are you serious? will someone get bir on the phone and get him to take voer

Ah the music isn't that bad. Eagle Eye Cherry FTW!! :)

Kings of leon was the only good song. I don't even know what to say about what's currently on. It's like we've gone back in time to eastern europe in 2000 and we're trapped in a gay bar. awful stuff. I'm only listening cos i appreciate the effort your wan kelly went to get a radio station going.

lol face buke is she from tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Ok, as with anything, we can talk and talk and talk and nothing will ever get done.

Some people have expressed good and bad views on the site/station, as life goes, you take the good with the bad and move on.

Some of you may be thinking where do we go from here. People need to bear in mind, the site and station is in its infancy, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz, therefore what I would propose as with any project would be a list of suggestions of things you would like to see improved on for the benefit for everybody involved - both for us listeners and the people involved with the station alike. The communications officer has set a good base here, now lets support our union to make this good thing, a great thing.

Some people have highlighted some bits already -

Suggestions:

- A "Play" button on the site, rather than letting it automatically play upon opening.

- Website upgrading, again its early days and i'm sure volunteers would be greatly appreciated for this, as someone above mentioned this can be an expensive process.

Now, if anybody has some constructive suggestions then please add to the list above so that the crew can take it into consideration.

Current Presenters! For the purposes of the new website could you please email me 1)The name of the show 2)when it's on 3)what it's about and if you've Facebook page for the show send me a link to that. cmgsup@gmail.com is the email. Cheers - Colm

So we're getting a new site. So those complaining just relax a bit, a later comment says it's expected up in time for Thursday's programming.

Suggestions
    • Showing the name of the song that's playing on the site's player. ATM mine just says ULFM.
    • Some news items on the site, could link up with An Focal and maybe post some of the bigger stories there, as well as an breaking news that occurs during the week, not necessarily all UL related new either.

That's all that comes to mind just now.

DR.Magoo wrote: »
    Ok, as with anything, we can talk and talk and talk and nothing will ever get done.

Some people have expressed good and bad views on the site/station, as life goes, you take the good with the bad and move on.

Some of you may be thinking where do we go from here. People need to bear in mind, the site and station is in its infancy, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that jazz, therefore what I would propose as with any project would be a list of suggestions of things you would like to see improved on for the benefit for everybody involved - both for us listeners and the people involved with the station alike. The communications officer has set a good base here, now lets support our union to make this good thing, a great thing.

Some people have highlighted some bits already -

Suggestions:

- A "Play" button on the site, rather than letting it automatically play upon opening.

- Website upgrading, again its early days and i'm sure volunteers would be greatly appreciated for this, as someone above mentioned this can be an expensive process.

Now, if anybody has some constructive suggestions then please add to the list above so that the crew can take it into consideration.

Apparently Polar Ice was told to jog on when he offered his services so maybe volunteers are not so welcome. Would appreciate if someone gave more detail on that story.

Suggestions:

- If you are a host on ULFM do some preparatory work i.e. Have a title for your show and topics relevant to the show to talk about before going on air (There was a distinct lack of such work this morning). Just because its amateur radio doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be professional.

- Fix the volume. Its worse at certain times. Around 16:00 today I had everything up full blast both earphones in and it was lower than a whisper.

Do radio hosts get briefed about the basics by the manager? Its hard to believe they are at times.

Of course you could just brush this off as 'early days yet' etc. but I don't work like that. Now is as good a time as ever to put standards and procedures in place as this will be passed on from one set of students to the next and you don't want to be going through the same teething problems every semester/year.

Can't wait to dissect the new website! :pac:

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Apparently Polar Ice was told to jog on when he offered his services so maybe volunteers are not so welcome. Would appreciate if someone gave more detail on that story.

Suggestions:

- If you are a host on ULFM do some preparatory work i.e. Have a title for your show and topics relevant to the show to talk about before going on air (There was a distinct lack of such work this morning). Just because its amateur radio doesn't mean you shouldn't try to be professional.

- Fix the volume. Its worse at certain times. Around 16:00 today I had everything up full blast both earphones in and it was lower than a whisper.

Do radio hosts get briefed about the basics by the manager? Its hard to believe they are at times.

Of course you could just brush this off as 'early days yet' etc. but I don't work like that. Now is as good a time as ever to put standards and procedures in place as this will be passed on from one set of students to the next and you don't want to be going through the same teething problems every semester/year.

Can't wait to dissect the new website! :pac:

It definitely is worse at certain times, I was listening at around 5:30 today, and whoever was presenting(couldn't listen too intently and didn't listen that long cos of **** to do) was doing a good job at balancing the levels.
    Not sure whether this was due to them only having one mic at the start but they seemed almost afraid of the mic, I've watched the webcams for TodayFM, Spin and Newstalk and you've gotta be almost right up against it it seems. I could be wrong, but that's just how it sounds.

I agree with setting standards early, but at this early stage the management themselves are learning the ropes so I reckon it's best just to give it a little more time. If these teething problems continue into the latter half of October however questions will have to be asked.

(I shouldn't really be criticising standards seeing as I just pitched a show....and if it gets accepted and I make a balls of it I'm gonna be slaughtered here aren't I? :pac: )

Hopefully the new website will go a long way to winning some of the more negative posters here's hearts and minds. :)

Oh, suggestion that's probably already been thought of an "On Air" part on the site, letting you know when autoDJ is running the show or a human.

It definitely is worse at certain times, I was listening at around 5:30 today, and whoever was presenting(couldn't listen too intently and didn't listen that long cos of **** to do) was doing a good job at balancing the levels.
    Not sure whether this was due to them only having one mic at the start but they seemed almost afraid of the mic, I've watched the webcams for TodayFM, Spin and Newstalk and you've gotta be almost right up against it it seems. I could be wrong, but that's just how it sounds.

I agree with setting standards early, but at this early stage the management themselves are learning the ropes so I reckon it's best just to give it a little more time. If these teething problems continue into the latter half of October however questions will have to be asked.

(I shouldn't really be criticising standards seeing as I just pitched a show....and if it get's accepted and I make a balls of it I'm gonna be slaughter here aren't I? :pac: )

Hopefully the new website will go a long way to winning some of the more negative posters here's hearts and minds. :)

Have a show title and talk about any old shíte and you'll have won me over! :pac:

I'd like to clarify a few things here. I will identify myself as the technical manager of the station.

We know that there are issues with volume. We know there are issues with quality of music, and issues with too much low end or not enough...

We will have the ongoing issues with levels ironed out by next week.

Please, bear with us!

The main problem is you are putting the people who are presenting the initial shows into a somewhat foreign environment. They all have some form of radio or DJ experience etc but no setup is the exact same. We DID provide them with training and we DID provide all presenters with a document providing concise instructions on levels etc etc etc. We have provided them all with 3 contact phone numbers in case they think they're stuck up the creek without a paddle mid-show. Obviously there are problems or discrepancies in these directions so I'm going to completely revise them in time for next week.

Obviously I would love if (and be far less anxious) if we had the resources to provide in depth training. The reality is we dont!

The quality of the programming should improve as things press on- I've not witnessed one person walk into the studio this week without being noticeably nervous. That will die down in a week or so and they'll be more on top of things. Remember these are face in the crowd students and are only human at the end of the day...

If presenters are not preparing a running order/script this is not acceptable and will be looked at. Also there will be prominent reminders displayed in the studio about dead air..

As regards the website, if Polar Ice is Keith O Neill this is my understanding of the situation. He contacted Kelly quite some time ago offering to do the website, and later said he did not have time to do so or something similar. Someone else did up the unpopular page we have now.
    Keith contacted Kelly again this week (I think?) and offered again to design the website. He said quite clearly it was entirely our decision if he wanted us for him to do it. As I'd personally already started work on the new website we told him so.

So, we did not ignore him nor did we tell him to "jog on".

As regards the streaming not working on some campus locations, someone here described it as a "major blunder". Do you honestly think we intentionally planned for it to be that way? Please! It was a fairly simple problem with ITD having blocked ports only in some places. They've rectified the problem as of today.

Before anyone says it, even if skynet hosted it, the problem would still have existed.

The player on the new site will not start automatically (in fact it won't be displayed on the main page).

Someone said something about us having all summer to design a site. Well, you are right. We probably could well have managed our priorities slightly better in that regard, so, sorry! I did fear that launching a temporary website would create a stir (not as much as this mind) so we've learned the hard way.

Finally, a small number of the comments on here are somewhat out of order. If you have constructive criticism as per the last few posts then please, go ahead! Bickering about Kelly's campaign etc is not going to do any good at this stage. Some people who've worked on the project with us have gotten upset over what's been said here. Would you say it in such a way to our faces...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

I really like the radio station.

It's really good, I thought grainne and sean were both very good tonight, really enjoyed their banter, very natural chemistry.I will definitely tune in again to them next week.

Everyone is nervous initially but once they get their first show out of the way the shows will get even better.

I could definitely see people firing it on listening to grainne and sean (and anyone for that matter - i just use them as an example as they were great tonight) and enjoying the tunes when they're having their warm up drinks at the house before heading to the lodge and town etc

Give them some support, I have no affiliation to the union or the people who organised the website but it must have took a lot of work and it's enjoyable being able to keep involved with student life even when your at home, or in the library, it's good to just fire on the radio and see whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Introductions:
    I'm Eoin Mooney, Computer Society (Skynet) VP
    As regards the website, if Polar Ice is Keith O Neill this is my understanding of the situation. He contacted Kelly quite some time ago offering to do the website, and later said he did not have time to do so or something similar. Someone else did up the unpopular page we have now.
    Keith contacted Kelly again this week (I think?) and offered again to design the website. He said quite clearly it was entirely our decision if he wanted us for him to do it. As I'd personally already started work on the new website we told him so.

So, we did not ignore him nor did we tell him to "jog on".

Polar Ice is *not* Keith O'Neill. The above is irrelevant
    As regards the streaming not working on some campus locations, someone here described it as a "major blunder". Do you honestly think we intentionally planned for it to be that way? Please! It was a fairly simple problem with ITD having blocked ports only in some places. They've rectified the problem as of today.

Before anyone says it, even if skynet hosted it, the problem would still have existed.

I don't recall RagRadio having the issues, though ITD may well have changed stuff since then. As you said, simple problem and it's solved.
    Finally, a small number of the comments on here are somewhat out of order. If you have constructive criticism as per the last few posts then please, go ahead! Bickering about Kelly's campaign etc is not going to do any good at this stage. Some people who've worked on the project with us have gotten upset over what's been said here. Would you say it in such a way to our faces...

Of course they wouldn't, it's the Internet.

I do think part of the reason people are criticising and bickering is because there seems to have been a lack of testing over the summer. Not only that, but the ULFM launch party was a fairly big deal. You can't blame people if they feel somewhat let down if the station isn't to a certain standard.

A bit of advice for your own sanity (as individuals and a group): Learn to take what ye can from internet comments and ignore the rest. As was said earlier in this thread "Haters gonna hate"

Best of luck and I wish nothing but the best for both Kelly and ULFM

I do think part of the reason people are criticising and bickering is because there seems to have been a lack of testing over the summer.

You are right. For the most part the reason for this is that equipment which was ordered at the end of July did not arrive until Orientation Week. So basically this put us at 4 weeks behind at the time of the launch and as a result there things which were overseen, most notably the stream not working in some places.

if Polar Ice is Keith O Neill
    Oh dear...

What's your plan B? What if I'm not Keith?

Your next post will start as:
    Since PolarIce isn't Keith O'Neill...

(I had this other post prepared. It had words. Lots of words.)

I really like the radio station.

It's really good, I thought grainne and sean were both very good tonight, really enjoyed their banter, very natural chemistry.I will definitely tune in again to them next week.

Everyone is nervous initially but once they get their first show out of the way the shows will get even better.

I could definitely see people firing it on listening to grainne and sean (and anyone for that matter - i just use them as an example as they were great tonight) and enjoying the tunes when they're having their warm up drinks at the house before heading to the lodge and town etc

Give them some support, I have no affiliation to the union or the people who organised the website but it must have took a lot of work and it's enjoyable being able to keep involved with student life even when your at home, or in the library, it's good to just fire on the radio and see whats happening.

Have you any personal relations with either of those presenters. You seem to be giving them an awful lot of credit. Judge a show like this on 3 criteria

Quality of technical production
    Quality of banter / presenters
    Quality of music

I thought the technical production was awful, I've made this simple, constructive criticism on the facebook page but was unfairly,unlawfully and undemocratically censored. Perhaps the show was correctly named.

I thought the banter between presenters was very good, very natural, very listenable. Both presenters are very likable and like that lick-arse above i would tune in again.

I thought the music was ****e but that's a fairly subjective personal opinion. I'd be surprised if either would consider themselves connoisseurs of music though, it was bland, chart friendly drivel (the script like).

In summary, learn how to use the machine you're operating, stop playing the script, and keep doing what yo're doing otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

It is a major blunder, I never said you intentionally planned it that way, I said it was a major blunder. For an internet radio station to cut out a bit of their target audience is a major blunder.

It still doesn't work (it did work last night), I don't know if that's because you have set it to no longer automatically play or if you have now put it on a port that doesn't work. Don't use ITD as your excuse when it's clear not enough testing was done (you didn't even test the radio in the SU) or research (Did you even approach skynet about their rag radio they ran and issues they had?)

They didn't have a port problem so no the problem wouldn't have existed.
    Someone said something about us having all summer to design a site. Well, you are right. We probably could well have managed our priorities slightly better in that regard, so, sorry! I did fear that launching a temporary website would create a stir (not as much as this mind) so we've learned the hard way.

Again that was me. What is the ETA on an actual website? I don't mean a fantastic one but even a wordpress installation takes 5 minutes (not 15! as I said earlier!). You could also trial run the site before launching it, make sure you are using the correct ports and stuff.
    Finally, a small number of the comments on here are somewhat out of order. If you have constructive criticism as per the last few posts then please, go ahead! Bickering about Kelly's campaign etc is not going to do any good at this stage. Some people who've worked on the project with us have gotten upset over what's been said here. Would you say it in such a way to our faces...?

I agree the posts about Kelly's campaign are out of order and I suggested Delta Kilo be banned for a week for specifically targetting Kelly.

If people have gotten upset, they need to grow up and accept critism. As you pointed out this wasn't said to your face, this is the internet, people post here what they would say behind your back.

If you want I can call into whoever and tell them how much of a major blunder it was to launch the site without doing testing and research.

Suggestions:
    - Fix the not playing on campus issue!
    - Actually make a website (here's help: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install)

• Advertisement

Oh dear...

What's your plan B? What if I'm not Keith?

Your next post will start as:
    Since PolarIce isn't Keith O'Neill...

(I had this other post prepared. It had words. Lots of words.)

you could remove the confusion by naming yourself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement