Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

you could remove the confusion by naming yourself

Kelly has been notified of PolarIce wanting to help. She has ignored these offers (one came from the SU president to use PolarIce) as he has a huge experience in making websites and in 5 seconds could do a better site than what's currently there (no pressure BowlOfRice! PolarIce!)

No one on Kelly's team has asked about PolarIce's offer and have outright ignored it without even finding out what he can offer so he shouldn't have to name himself.

Suggestions:
    - Allow people to suggest a playlist at night time. Even have a voting system on the website for songs to be played. (i.e rock hour and have a vote on the 20 best rock songs and play them for the hour).
    - Have clubs and societies been notified that they can do stuff on the radio? Music/DJ/Comedy/etc would probably be interested in doing something! ULTV might even be able to help with sound issues or something!
    - Do some publicity, after the launch party what has their been to actually promote the radio?

I can't actually comment on the shows as I don't have access to ULFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

reunion wrote: »
    Kelly has been notified of PolarIce wanting to help. She has ignored these offers (one came from the SU president to use PolarIce) as he has a huge experience in making websites and in 5 seconds could do a better site than what's currently there (no pressure BowlOfRice! PolarIce!)

No one on Kelly's team has asked about PolarIce's offer and have outright ignored it without even finding out what he can offer so he shouldn't have to name himself.

Suggestions:
    - Allow people to suggest a playlist at night time. Even have a voting system on the website for songs to be played. (i.e rock hour and have a vote on the 20 best rock songs and play them for the hour).
    - Have clubs and societies been notified that they can do stuff on the radio? Music/DJ/Comedy/etc would probably be interested in doing something! ULTV might even be able to help with sound issues or something!
    - Do some publicity, after the launch party what has their been to actually promote the radio?

why don't you have access to ulfm?
    Just because someone makes a very generous offer to "do a website" for you, doesn't mean you should take them up on it. If he is as highly skilled as you say, why would he offer to do it for free. Have you not seen The Dark Knight. I have plenty of web site experience, from a design and from a back-end point of view, but i know my strengths lie in the technical not the design. Does that mean Kelly should take my offer to build her a new site...?

You suggestions are good ideas though well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Again that was me. What is the ETA on an actual website? I don't mean a fantastic one but even a wordpress installation takes 5 minutes (not 15! as I said earlier!). You could also trial run the site before launching it, make sure you are using the correct ports and stuff.

They said on Facebook last night that the new website should be up for tomorrow.

Yes, not being able to play on campus is a blunder, clearly unintentional and unforseen. No point arguing about whether or not adequate testing was done or not. Just try and get it fixed ASAP and move on.

why don't you have access to ulfm?
    Just because someone makes a very generous offer to "do a website" for you, doesn't mean you should take them up on it. If he is as highly skilled as you say, why would he offer to do it for free. Have you not seen The Dark Knight. I have plenty of web site experience, from a design and from a back-end point of view, but i know my strengths lie in the technical not the design. Does that mean Kelly should take my offer to build her a new site...?

You suggestions are good ideas though well done.

Well PolarIce has requested lunch if he is to make the website, so technically not free. I don't know what The Dark Knight is. The point is their have been offers to build a better website but they have been completely ignored by Kelly and the other directors on ULFM. They could at least say no, we have someone making a website, instead of purely ignoring genuine offers (even ones that have been suggested/backed by the SU president).
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    They said on Facebook last night that the new website should be up for tomorrow.

Yes, not being able to play on campus is a blunder, clearly unintentional and unforseen. No point arguing about whether or not adequate testing was done or not. Just try and get it fixed ASAP and move on.

That wasn't on the ulfm page or the facebook stream they have.

CAn you link me to a portfolio of polarice's work. just to see if it as good as you say it is.

• Advertisement

Well PolarIce has requested lunch if he is to make the website, so technically not free. I don't know what The Dark Knight is. The point is their have been offers to build a better website but they have been completely ignored by Kelly and the other directors on ULFM. They could at least say no, we have someone making a website, instead of purely ignoring genuine offers (even ones that have been suggested/backed by the SU president).

Current Presenters! For the purposes of the new website could you please email me 1)The name of the show 2)when it's on 3)what it's about and if you've Facebook page for the show send me a link to that. cmgsup@gmail.com is the email. Cheers - Colm
    Should have it in time for Thursday's programming!
    Eek, I was supposed to email you all about this! My bad Colm :( I'll do it now and we'll reach more of the presenters :):) Kel

So it was on the Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

reunion wrote:
    They could at least say no, we have someone making a website
    That's what I was told...maybe it was the way in which Polar Ice asked was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Ah! Polar Ice is ******* so! Derek Daly, SU President, ran into ******* when he came into the SU at around 9:30am the other day. As my office hours are 11am - 7pm (officially, but I usually don't get out til midnight) I ASSUME Derek told him this and to come back later. Derek told me that ******* came in and that he mentioned the website. That was all. If ******** sincerely wanted to do the site, he could have emailed me on either kellwindsurfer@hotmail.com, kelly.obrien@ul.ie or sucommunications@ul.ie. He did not. What's more, he did not call back into the office to see me (to my knowledge) and neither did he approach me at the C&S Emergency Council Meeting last night which we both attended.

******** - not a personal attack on you, I have had many (very interesting!) conversations with you and I know you wouldn't be shy in approaching me personally. I think that now that we are getting the actual issues fixed, people are struggling to find things to bitch about.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

I think that now that we are getting the actual issues fixed, people are struggling to find things to bitch about.

I hope for your sake no one else finds issues with the website or the station. With all due respect Kelly you came onto this thread attacking people offering constructive criticism (for the most part) saying that they are crushing your soul. Now because of the latest topic of discussion you are owing it down to people not having anything else to bitch about.

For your position that is the completely wrong tone to be adopting. You should be welcoming it not shunning it, because personally the way you have been dealing with a lot of this (And I am not someone hiding behind internet anonymity) your making me feel worried about bringing forward some constructive criticism because I will just be labelled and thrown into the bitch pile.

Just as an interesting point, I offered some advice about issues on the facebook page, and straight after added another point complimenting you based on the competitions being run, you subsequently "liked" my comment but not the criticism. This thread is about providing honest feedback and you are in no position, in particular because you are elected by the people posting here to say they are just bitching and moaning.

Please if you post here just answer the queries, your reply to polar ice was alright and then you just ended it in people just finding something to bitch about, it's a disgrace to adopt that tone considering your in a sabbatical position and considering that all this "bitching" has actually led to positive changes in the site you should be welcoming more and not just fobbing anything off as bitching.

I don't want this to turn into personal attacks again, but I see no point in this thread continuing if the person running ULFM, who is actively posting here, will not adopt a welcoming tone to constructive criticism.

P.S. Things are getting better, so well done. I hope this isn't the only part of my post you take in though.

Edit: I would like to add that at a lot of points in this thread you are dealing with it well and addressing issues correctly, but this most recent post is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Ah! Polar Ice is ******* so! Derek Daly, SU President, ran into ******* when he came into the SU at around 9:30am the other day. As my office hours are 11am - 7pm (officially, but I usually don't get out til midnight) I ASSUME Derek told him this and to come back later. Derek told me that ******* came in and that he mentioned the website. That was all. If ******** sincerely wanted to do the site, he could have emailed me on either kellwindsurfer@hotmail.com, kelly.obrien@ul.ie or sucommunications@ul.ie. He did not. What's more, he did not call back into the office to see me (to my knowledge) and neither did he approach me at the C&S Emergency Council Meeting last night which we both attended.

******** - not a personal attack on you, I have had many (very interesting!) conversations with you and I know you wouldn't be shy in approaching me personally. I think that now that we are getting the actual issues fixed, people are struggling to find things to bitch about.

genuinely shocked by this. someone offered to help you out, offering their expertise for free and you're criticizing them for not campaigning hard enough to get your approval to let them help you.

Your attitude is all wrong here, why don't accept you made a mistake in not following this up, even if you were not going to take him up on the offer. You're not particularly sharpish at responding to emails, like a lot of your SU colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Edit: I would like to add that at a lot of points in this thread you are dealing with it well and addressing issues correctly, but this most recent post is a disgrace.

TBH Kelly's first post in this thread was inappropriate and only contributed to the off topic personal remarks.

I had hoped that in hindsight Kelly would have come to the same conclusion but as can be seen from her response to my question, she has no regrets.

Now today is just a continuation of that same lack of appreciation of how she should be approching these issues. I can accept people making mistakes as long as they learn from them. Unfortunately that is not the case with this issue, instead the same mistake is being repeated.

Up until now I have refrained from making my responses about Kelly but the latest remark is very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

What's this I hear about ULFM taking €60k of C&S money to buy a big antenna?

That is a vicious rumour with neither issue being connected. The 60k euro was used to help satisfy debts in ULSU Services Ltd and was not used for the radio station. Whoever said that is completely mis-informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Terran wrote: »
    A hilariously silly rumour at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

WTF What is the point of this thread right now? It started out with a website for a uni campus radio station that wasn't up to scratch. So the answer is to straighten out the site and get on with things. Can the politics and the name calling and fix the site. Problem solved.

Don't reply go fix it now and your problems will be solved. You are wasting time in here reading **** when there is a site to be fixed. You'd be fired in a real company for moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

xual wrote: »
    WTF What is the point of this thread right now? It started out with a website for a uni campus radio station that wasn't up to scratch. So the answer is to straighten out the site and get on with things. Can the politics and the name calling and fix the site. Problem solved.

Don't reply go fix it now and your problems will be solved. You are wasting time in here reading **** when there is a site to be fixed. You'd be fired in a real company for moaning.

To give feedback on ULFM and since changes/upgrades are being made, there is constantly new feedback.

It does run off topic now and again but there are contributary factors to that which have been mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

rmacm wrote: »
    You were the last person I expected to sink to the level of installing that fine software. Anyway in times of need here in Germany I find using vlc and then and copying the link to the live stream from the RTE webpage works a treat.

You'll have to go digging through the source code of the webpage to get the link but tis easy to find. They end in .asx or .smil

New radio player coming very soon - no real player necessary.

Also...
    I have done Kelly's job for a year (before even Sceptre did) not long after Wired and UL(SU) parted company. We managed to get an internet station running over Rag Week, but that was it.
    I have never met her and don't know her, but am very impressed with the work she's clearly put in over the summer. Lots of work still to do, but sure, that's what volunteers are for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Terran wrote: »
    That is a vicious rumour with neither issue being connected. The 60k euro was used to help satisfy debts in ULSU Services Ltd and was not used for the radio station. Whoever said that is completely mis-informed.

Ah Ginge, in fairness now, what would ULFM, the *internet* radio station want with "a big antenna".

This thread is on a descent into madness

I know, but not everyone reads into that kind of thing and it looks like people are trying to make it descend into madness ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

Oh sh1t. I just realised I actually work in a radio station.

Happy to come in and talk to volunteers, yo.

froodie wrote: »
    Oh sh1t. I just realised I actually work in a radio station.

Happy to come in and talk to volunteers, yo.

I don't think that's a direct enough expression of your intent to help / assist kelly tbh froodie. you best email her 10 times, facebook her and put postits on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is planned but won't be on tommorow' s version of the website

Well, I personally went and tried it out last night in the locations (i.e the library, venus, fishtank and plassey) where we had failure to play reported previously and it was working. Where did you have the problem

It certainly was, as pointed out above, it was posted by me in a comment to another post.

Is planned but won't be on tommorow' s version of the website

Well, I personally went and tried it out last night in the locations (i.e the library, venus, fishtank and plassey) where we had failure to play reported previously and it was working. Where did you have the problem

Highlydebased, you seem to be able to comment rationally, would you mind just telling kelly to not post in this and instead can we just direct things to you?

Glad to hear it's planned! As for the location, it's working now, just oddly didn't work earlier. It did work last night, just didn't work this morning.

It certainly was, as pointed out above, it was posted by me in a comment to another post.

I said FACEBOOK STREAM not the facebook page. The facebook stream that is on the ULFM website does not have it. It has however been added in the last 5 minutes to the facebook stream.

Highlydebased, you seem to be able to comment rationally, would you mind just telling kelly to not post in this and instead can we just direct things to you?

Glad to hear it's planned! As for the location, it's working now, just oddly didn't work earlier. It did work last night, just didn't work this morning.

a lot of problems with the network in college, especially the wireless in high density areas (e.g. library), I don't know if it's fair of your to attribute that blame to ulfm

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

a lot of problems with the network in college, especially the wireless in high density areas (e.g. library), I don't know if it's fair of your to attribute that blame to ulfm

reunion is normally based in a part of the University that isn't congested with students. He also tends not to use general campus pcs like the library.

then what's his problem then, i've asked him a few time. he's hardly postulating that the website arbitrarily decides who can listen and who can't.

AFAIK they stopped streaming for an hour earlier today. This was posted at 12:41pm, so it's possible you tried to access it during the down time.
    Hi guys, had to pause the broadcast for an hour due to works going on in the studio. Back up now. Soundproofing! Yurt!

• Advertisement

So... um... anyone know what frequency this bad boy is broadcasting on? I have my wireless next to me and I want to...

:cool:

Tune in.

#Cue CSI:Miami opening theme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement