Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ULFM should get a last.fm account sorted so we can keep record of what's being played.

who's the current dj, i want to be his friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

Nockz wrote: »
    So... um... anyone know what frequency this bad boy is broadcasting on? I have my wireless next to me and I want to...

:cool:

Tune in.

#Cue CSI:Miami opening theme.

first of all LOL

second of all i was wondering the same thing. what does the FM stand for if it is not broadcasting on FM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

ULFM should get a last.fm account sorted so we can keep record of what's being played.

they seem to keep track of like the last 10 songs played on this link

http://216.75.20.63:8734/played.html

hey guys apologies for defending the stream earlier, it's obviously a bit poxy. can't listen for the last few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Got ULFM working at my apartment, yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/index.html

New website up look's much better than the one they had up earlier they still have some problems with the streaming but i'm sure it's just small problems that they'll sort out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The new site is much improved. Still a bit of work to be done, but seems like they're getting there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The new site is much improved. Still a bit of work to be done, but seems like they're getting there. :)

Congrads on the new site. That is how it should have launched!

Finally get to hear some of the dj's and not the autodj!

Just a suggestion for the new site, not even sure if this is possible, but is there any way of making the player static? It's only a minor inconvenience but when you're listening to a show and want to check the schedule or info on a show you have to leave the page.
    Hate to nit-pick only a few hours after the new site went up, but it could be something to consider for the next iteration of the site. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

can I just say, the picture quality on UL FM is terrible. Bought a HD monitor, feel like i wasted my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    can I just say, the picture quality on UL FM is terrible. Bought a HD monitor, feel like i wasted my money.

:confused:

What pictures? I'm on HD as well, 1366x768, and it looks perfect. In case you think the page background should be a plain colour, it shouldn't - it's a pattern.

I'll have a look on my 1920x1080 at the weekend, but I can't see anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion for the new site, not even sure if this is possible, but is there any way of making the player static? It's only a minor inconvenience but when you're listening to a show and want to check the schedule or info on a show you have to leave the page.
    Hate to nit-pick only a few hours after the new site went up, but it could be something to consider for the next iteration of the site. :)

Well at the moment when you click the "Listen" button it opens in a new window. Most would just minimize that window and continue browsing on the original window. That's about as static as it gets...

PM me if you're having any issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iamEndaDowling

Hi y’all,
    I was referred to this thread by a mate, and to be honest find, it a little surprising and unsettling. Simply because of the anonymity and point scoring, among a college community. Although I’ve never been on boards before, so my apologies if this is the norm!
    Anyway my name is Enda, I’m a third year journalism student in UL. I’m also heavily involved with the Thomond Student Times, but really wanted to show some support for Ms O’ Brien here.
    Glitches, wobblies, politics and criticisms aside please, I’m sure UL FM will become a huge success. A facility has just been set up with ridiculous potential.
    As far as I can see, Kelly is doing far far more than any Communications Officer before her to justify a wage. I’m happy I voted for her. ULSU communications has been below par for a long time, and I get the feeling she is dragging all aspects of it by the scruff. 3rd year journos are currently on co-op, and there is a great deal of extremely talented UL students working in radio stations all over the country, who I presume will be very excited to return in 4th year now that ULFM is up and running. Factor in the amount of English and New Media students, yada yada, ****s going to get serious.

CJKeane wrote: »
    Well at the moment when you click the "Listen" button it opens in a new window. Most would just minimize that window and continue browsing on the original window. That's about as static as it gets...

PM me if you're having any issues!

Could just be my settings tbh. When I click listen on the top links it starts playing in the same tab in Chrome. When I click "Listen Now!" on the left hand side of the home page, yes you're correct it does open a new window so I'll be using that from now on. :)

Some comments:

Is all that Javascript in the header necessary? One of them (js/jqueryTools/jquery.tools.min.html) gives a 404 error anyway, so that one's obviously not being used.

I can't imagine what the loading time on the site is if you're not on fibre or standard broadband, e.g. Three mobile "broadband", which I'll be using at the weekend.

Also, anyone on a 1024x768 or less resolution, though not many are at this stage, will have see a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom.
    wnolan1992 wrote:
    When I click "Listen Now!" on the left hand side of the home page, yes you're correct it does open a new window so I'll be using that from now on.
    That's Chrome for ya. :D

I think what could be done here is have a seperate page for the pop up player - i.e. a page that just contains the flash player and nothing else.

kpac wrote: »
    I can't imagine what the loading time on the site is if you're not on fibre or standard broadband, e.g. Three mobile "broadband", which I'll be using at the weekend.

That's Chrome for ya. :D

I feel your pain on the Three "Broadband" score :pac:

Oi!! Leave Chrome alone, savage browser tbf! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Some comments:

Is all that Javascript in the header necessary? One of them (js/jqueryTools/jquery.tools.min.html) gives a 404 error anyway, so that one's obviously not being used.

Redudancy for now for the grander plans I had...will parse what's not needed of course

I think what could be done here is have a seperate page for the pop up player - i.e. a page that just contains the flash player and nothing else.

That is one of the dilemmas I have- create a player page with info or else a "light" player page with nothing but the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'd be really interested to get into this once I'm back from Erasmus. Very cool thing to have running at the university. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Nice cleanup of the site guys, it's great that you're positively responding to the feedback and in a fast manner too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Nice cleanup of the site guys, it's great that you're positively responding to the feedback and in a fast manner too.

Well I wouldn't have said positively responding, they are responding.

The home button at the end of the page isn't working

Suggestions
    - Some list on the website so you can see what song is next/see what's playing now
    - Any possibility to see what kindof music will be on the autodj? Not the exact songs but it would be nice to know if they are rock/metal/etc.
    - You should ask the lodge somenight if ye can broadcast from there, might be some nice publicity. Maybe even make it a website launch party :P
    -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

reunion wrote: »

The home button at the end of the page isn't working

Suggestions
    - Some list on the website so you can see what song is next/see what's playing now
    - Any possibility to see what kindof music will be on the autodj? Not the exact songs but it would be nice to know if they are rock/metal/etc.
    - You should ask the lodge somenight if ye can broadcast from there, might be some nice publicity. Maybe even make it a website launch party :P
    -

First 2 suggestions suggested already and noted.

Don't know about that last bit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

reunion wrote: »

It's improving. I would say that is a positive result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Question: Why was ULFM not done on the Computer Society servers? That would have been a win-win to be honest ,and kept it completely in-house.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Question: Why was ULFM not done on the Computer Society servers? That would have been a win-win to be honest ,and kept it completely in-house.
    I'd imagine there would be a lot of setting up as regards protocols and ports etc. It's probably better to use services that are well known online to do the job for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Skynet has provided streaming radio services in the past. http://rag.skynet.ie

There is no technical barrier to them providing the service AIUI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There are historical issues whereby members of Skynet failed in the service remit for Union websites. It wasn't really plausible to maintain a professional service with voluntary members. If you pay for something, you can demand things, if you don't you can't hold the provider to the same account.

I know that Skynet have changed things since then, but it is still a voluntary team and is transient.

Is there something ironic about a students union officer complaining of amateurism / volunteerism / and transient nature of cmtes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

@ninty9er: That's a disappointing attitude to hear from the SU.

It's a lost opportunity to try and give UL students a chance to learn and improve, and give things to the student community that would otherwise be denied to them within the clubs'n'socs remit.

I would have expected that petty politics would have been put aside for this type of project, as the equipment is there in the compsoc, the skills to run that equipment is there as well. With a better chance of getting good service than from most so-called professional commercial entities outside the college.

As for being 'transient', it seems that the admin team for the Skynet cluster has been proven longer-term than the SU sabbats...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

@ninty9er: That's a disappointing attitude to hear from the SU.

It's a lost opportunity to try and give UL students a chance to learn and improve, and give things to the student community that would otherwise be denied to them within the clubs'n'socs remit.

I would have expected that petty politics would have been put aside for this type of project, as the equipment is there in the compsoc, the skills to run that equipment is there as well. With a better chance of getting good service than from most so-called professional commercial entities outside the college.

As for being 'transient', it seems that the admin team for the Skynet cluster has been proven longer-term than the SU sabbats...

Skynet did host for ULSU, when the service didn't meet expectations a private operator was brought in. I was not involved at the time, so can't comment as to what resolutions etc were tried before parting with skynet, but we need to guarantee swift service.

I have no doubt knowing lots of Skynet members they are capable, but they won't be around forever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement