Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Daly do you actually ever consider how other people interpret the stuff you write? Are yo actually aware that you're undermining the service skynet offers by making these remarks. Do you understand that being the president of the su and slagging off one of the societies in this thinly veiled fashion is actually very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm giving the history that led to the situation. I didn't bring up the issue, I was explaining it.

To be fair to the lads, they do a great job. I don't contest that.

I can't control how people interpret what I say, so maybe those who were critical of ULFM could take the same criticism constructively when it is offered and make an approach to our General Manager offering the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

ninty9er wrote: »
    approach to our General Manager offering the service.

Does the ULSU have a tendering process for services?

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Does the ULSU have a tendering process for services?

didn't you hear they spent over 10k on recruitment

I'm giving the history that led to the situation. I didn't bring up the issue, I was explaining it.

To be fair to the lads, they do a great job. I don't contest that.

I can't control how people interpret what I say, so maybe those who were critical of ULFM could take the same criticism constructively when it is offered and make an approach to our General Manager offering the service.

So herein lies the answer. You took exception to people criticizing the work of your colleague (Kelly). Some of the criticism was fair, some was very unfair. So you've taken the opportunity to 'get back' at some of the 'guilty parties' by slagging off their services. All based on the assumption skynet ppl were actually chief critics.

I just think this is incredibly childish, not very professional and unfitting for a person supposedly in a position of leadership.

It's amazing how the students unions in ireland work. You get some kid who thinks he can do it all, give him 3 weeks in the job and he thinks he's bill gates. despite not having a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

So herein lies the answer. You took exception to people criticizing the work of your colleague (Kelly). Some of the criticism was fair, some was very unfair. So you've taken the opportunity to 'get back' at some of the 'guilty parties' by slagging off their services. All based on the assumption skynet ppl were actually chief critics.

I just think this is incredibly childish, not very professional and unfitting for a person supposedly in a position of leadership.

It's amazing how the students unions in ireland work. You get some kid who thinks he can do it all, give him 3 weeks in the job and he thinks he's bill gates. despite not having a clue.

I'm sorry, what position are you in to comment on this situation?

You've had a bee in your bonnet all week, complaining about the radio, c&s egm, and now dereks performance as a president.

why not show a bit of positivity instead of being a little toe rag upstart complaining all the time.

I'm sorry, what position are you in to comment on this situation?

You've had a bee in your bonnet all week, complaining about the radio, c&s egm, and now dereks performance as a president.

why not show a bit of positivity instead of being a little toe rag upstart complaining all the time.

who are you? who are you calling a toe rag?

i am only complaining about things that have things to complain about. these are:

ULFM having a poor website
    Some ulfm shows having terrible technical production
    the su and c&s basically not acting in the interests of the students
    derek being a complete dick within his capacity as president to students of the college

all of these criticism are fair, have been made in a reasonable manner and have not been intended as personal attacks (unlike your comments).

If you have a personal problem with my posting style, report the post. If you have a love affair with any of the entities i am criticizing please get over yourself.

There seems to be a common rule in anything that relates to the students union / clubs and socs which states you can't say anything negative about them. If you're not with us on everything you're against us. Is this 1984? Do anything publicly and be expected to receive criticism publicly. Derek Daly can speak for himself demolition man he doesn't need you white-knighting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

For someone who talks about fairness, you seem have a very biased attitude, why are you over interpreting everything ninty9er is saying?

He explained the situation clearly, what else do you want, instead of posting rude and unhelpful comments such as above, how about posting more productive replies.

1huge1 wrote: »
    For someone who talks about fairness, you seem have a very biased attitude, why are you over interpreting everything ninty9er is saying?

He explained the situation clearly, what else do you want, instead of posting rude and unhelpful comments such as above, how about posting more productive replies.

who are you to derek daly? one of his cronies? I am a student of this college. Derek Daly is the president of the students union of which I am a member of. I have followed his comments on this forum over the last week and I made a post highlighting my opinion on his attitude. If you found any of my comments unfactual please address them. If you found my subjective opinions unfair, please address them.

They were not rude, they were direct.
    They were not unhelpful because Daly should be taking feedback on his attitude. Which he didn't, he denied his behaviour was inappropriate.

If i find out this time next week that Daly was doing a great job doing something else, I'd be the first here to praise him for it. But that's not the case.

I fully admit I don't follow his every action, maybe i am not aware of the positive stuff he does. but that's up to other people to acknowledge.

don't come on boards backing your buddy up pretending to be anonymous. if you're a known acquaintance of his the su president state it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

I have no affiliation to derock daly but I felt compelled to post after witnessing the constant drivel you have been posting all week. bad minded ill spirited remarks.
    the radio show is doing their best. i dont see you offering to help out or support in any manner.

derock is doing his best in a very difficult situation, his hands are tied, legal reasons prevent him from disclosing further details about what really went on in the c&s situation.

stop being a spiteful little shit, we all want to improve the union and the radio, if you do so then give a hand, not smack us over the head with the shovel. some people on this forum.

• Advertisement

I have no affiliation to derock daly but I felt compelled to post after witnessing the constant drivel you have been posting all week. bad minded ill spirited remarks.
    the radio show is doing their best. i dont see you offering to help out or support in any manner.

derock is doing his best in a very difficult situation, his hands are tied, legal reasons prevent him from disclosing further details about what really went on in the c&s situation.

stop being a spiteful little shit, we all want to improve the union and the radio, if you do so then give a hand, not smack us over the head with the shovel. some people on this forum.

When you put it like that I see where you're coming from. Maybe I was too negative and too critical and didn't give them a hand up instead of a hand across the back of the head.

I will give the su/ulfm some critique free time and will get off their case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

don't come on boards backing your buddy up pretending to be anonymous. if you're a known acquaintance of his the su president state it.

It's probably not my place to be posting here since I'm an ex UL'er but I still throw an eye over the forum anyway.

So I'm going to ask...who are you? I've seen you ask it of enough people in numerous posts on the forum already yet you've never divulged who you are. Call it a quid pro quo if you like...I think it's only fair.

If you have and I haven't noticed I apologize

|As a disclaimer I also vaguely know Derick, met him once or twice and called him an FF loving bollix in jest.

actually a nobody, never seen or spoken to any su people, second year in ul.have no political allegiance, friendships, biases to announce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ogami

Skynet did host for ULSU, when the service didn't meet expectations a private operator was brought in. I was not involved at the time, so can't comment as to what resolutions etc were tried before parting with skynet, but we need to guarantee swift service.

I have no doubt knowing lots of Skynet members they are capable, but they won't be around forever.

The UL Computer Society Provides and has provided an excellent Free service to C&S and ULSU for many years, But I'm afraid you don't seem to understand the limitations of this services we can provide.
    If you have criticism of our services feel free to contact us and we will explain our position. I will however ask you not use us as fodder to misdirect criticism away from your own services.

ogami wrote: »
    The UL Computer Society Provides and has provided an excellent Free service to C&S and ULSU for many years, But I'm afraid you don't seem to understand the limitations of this services we can provide.
    If you have criticism of our services feel free to contact us and we will explain our position. I will however ask you not use us as fodder to misdirect criticism away from your own services.

Please explain where I have done this. I have explained a past situation which has led to Skynet no longer being (indicating it once was) the service provider.

I have no comment to make on future arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

the su.....basically not acting in the interests of the students

You can say that again! A LOT of people have lost faith in the interests of the Union, and to a lot of people recent happenings aren't really all that much of a surprise.
    It wasn't really plausible to maintain a professional service with voluntary members. If you pay for something, you can demand things

Perhaps focus on the people closer to home.... Union officers who are non contactable for days in a row, and stroll into work at 1 in the afternoon in tracksuit pants aren't exactly the definition of 'professional'.... With regard to paying for something and demanding things, if the people on the inside are sly enough they can bully whatever they want out of those people paying for the service ;)

You can say that again! A LOT of people have lost faith in the interests of the Union, and to a lot of people recent happenings aren't really all that much of a surprise.

Perhaps focus on the people closer to home.... Union officers who are non contactable for days in a row, and stroll into work at 1 in the afternoon in tracksuit pants aren't exactly the definition of 'professional'.... With regard to paying for something and demanding things, if the people on the inside are sly enough they can bully whatever they want out of those people paying for the service ;)

You passed me at 3 yesterday. And I wasn't srtolling to work, I had a day booked off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

You passed me at 3 yesterday. And I wasn't srtolling to work, I had a day booked off ;)

Who said it was you? I would struggle to find anyone who question the hours that you put in. Anyway - this is running off topic - point made.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Watch the tones of the posts in here guys

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

IDENTIFICATION (because that's a thing now, apparently): James Heslin, Skynet member and president of the Games Society. Ex-Societies Officer. I know Derek Daly in the context of SU Exec, mostly. I'm neither a staunch defender or a harsh critic of him, because I don't believe I know him well enough. Aside from the C&S money thing, which was mostly a communication breakdown as far as I'm concerned, I've been happy with his methods as SU President and before that as Welfare Officer/CSC Chair.

ACTUAL POST:
    Skynet host an *awful* lot of things. It's not too much of a stretch that the SU don't want to put their newest and most precious egg in that basket. Even if it seems an insult, well, anything might seem an insult to people after the attrition over the last weeks. I love my Skynet hosting, but if it goes down*, no-one is going to complain to me. No-one looks at my site, much less streams from it for hours at a time. Added to that, I personally am not going to be much put out by it, unless I have to upload or present something *right then*. My job isn't solely to manage my site. It isn't even my hobby. I should be using it more, to be honest. I'd say the same is true for a good few people who host on Skynet. But ULFM is one or both of those things to several people, and I think they should be entitled to go where they like with it. Perhaps something can be worked out in future, but this seems like people looking for a slight to get indignant about.

As for paying for stuff, some people are driven and some aren't. If you're not paying for something, only the driven people are going to do it (well, or at all). It's that simple. You can't know which is which until it's too late, usually. I can completely understand them not taking that risk with ULFM, even though I know several very driven people on the Skynet side.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt. Haven't posted here before.

*In my experience, downtimes are highly rare, and always preceded by a warning email several days in advance. And they're never longer than a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    *In my experience, downtimes are highly rare, and always preceded by a warning email several days in advance. And they're never longer than a few hours.
    There hasn't had unscheduled downtime due to equipment in 5+ years. 100% of the down time has been for planned maintenance, or if the power goes in the SU, or the UL network goes. :D

I would like to ask ninty9er to refrain from posting stuff like service didn't meet expectations a private operator was brought in because I know you can't cite any precise example, however 2-3 years ago the exact opposite happened when you left Skynet for a 3rd party and that 3rd party didn't do a good job.

Regardless, this is so far off topic at this point. None of this has anything to do with ULFM anymore. The last on topic post was about 2 pages ago. In order to avoid more random unfounded accusations, may I suggest the thread be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can we change the name of the thread to "Official Bitch About the SU and Irrelevant Politics Chat"?

Can someone PM me when the thread actually gets back to talking about the radio station and not whether Derek Daly is a good president or whether Skynet is good or not.

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Regardless, this is so far off topic at this point. None of this has anything to do with ULFM anymore. The last on topic post was about 2 pages ago. In order to avoid more random unfounded accusations, may I suggest the thread be locked.

Hi Polar Ice.

I started this thread. the question was what " what do people think ? " with the title " ULFM ". Very broad i know but I think this whole skynet thing falls under that umbrella :) . This thread shouldnt be locked as we are still finding out new facts about ULFM which are changing peoples opinions of the station everyday. For example I thought that ULFM were using skynet resourses to host the shows because i am aware that skynet provide a very good service to clubs and socs for very little cost.

The last few comments have shown that in fact they are not using skynet and instead ( according to the ULFM facebook ) have their own server. This brings in the issue of cost as some people have been calling ULFM a novelty.

Now as a member of clubs and societies I along with others have been " cost conscious " as of late, so €5000 ( according to post #50 by kelly ) being spent on radio station that is at the level of quality it is now makes me think that ULFM might not be the best thing it could have been spent on. If it cost something like €500 then I wouldn't mind if it wasnt streaming now and again or if the website looked the way it did before or the lack of streaming on my iphone ( they said thats coming soon though :) ).

Also i havent been able to listen since yesterday. This page keeps saying that the server is down...http://216.75.20.63:8734/ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

yuppy700 wrote:
    The last few comments have shown that in fact they are not using skynet and instead ( according to the ULFM facebook ) have their own server. This brings in the issue of cost as some people have been calling ULFM a novelty.
    They have their own server? For what I wonder? They're using a free streaming service called SHOUTcast and a free mp3 player on their website to play the stream.

I'd like to know what the €5000 was spent on actually, not because I think it's a disgrace or because I'm just digging for information, I'm just curious to know. I know technical equipment is expensive, but I can't figure out what added up to that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Franky Frank On Top

I'd be interested to know the specifications of the server they acquired and in the interest of transparency a full cost breakdown of the money spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magickharp

I'd be interested to know the specifications of the server they acquired and in the interest of transparency a full cost breakdown of the money spent.

I imagine we'll be told that it will be in the audited accounts at the end of next year or something similiar.
    I'd like to know what the €5000 was spent on actually, not because I think it's a disgrace or because I'm just digging for information, I'm just curious to know. I know technical equipment is expensive, but I can't figure out what added up to that amount.

There's a fair bit of kit gone in there afaik, but again, would be interested to know where the 5gs went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

We did not buy a server. We paid 300 euro (which is outlandishly cheap) for use of a shoutcast server. The website is being hosted wherever the SU website is hosted...

Around 4000 was spent on equipment (from a german supplier), which considering what we got was very good value (we were quoted almost 10,000 for the same equipment from an Irish supplier). We've also had a soundproofed partition built in the room, and paid IMRO...

There will be an itemised list available

There will be iphone streaming yes- but you'll have to wait because I've not slept all week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

If you type this address into your iPhone Safari you'll get the stream: 216.75.20.63:8734/listen.pls

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I find Derek's comments about paying professionals to do a better job the students and co. to do a better job a little ironic considering;

a) The ULSU is essentially run by students (or does it count as a profession now that Derek has a salary?)

b) UL Clubs & Societies not only start up on an interest for doing sports but also for interests that include computing and it's may skill sets. These are run by students who are passionate about their hobby but who are also either very proficient in it or who are really eager to learn.

Look at the success of ULTV. Why not give MusicSoc and DJSoc a reason to get more involved with the college? Let them use the knowledge they learn in MMPT about audio technologies to gain a practical knowledge for their CVs so that in a few years they can be paid by other SUs to do the professional job that SU won't get from its students :p

@highlydebased: Was the supplier Thomann by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Franky Frank On Top

We did not buy a server. We paid 300 euro (which is outlandishly cheap) for use of a shoutcast server. The website is being hosted wherever the SU website is hosted...

Around 4000 was spent on equipment (from a german supplier), which considering what we got was very good value (we were quoted almost 10,000 for the same equipment from an Irish supplier). We've also had a soundproofed partition built in the room, and paid IMRO...

Thanks for the response, I'm glad to see that none of the rumors regarding the cost of the server were close to the mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement