Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

There shall be.

Cool, any timeline on when that stuff is coming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I think its a bit depressing that the station has been up for two weeks and yet the stream is still acting up a bit. I was trying to listen to it on campus yesterday and for whatever reason(I'm not a technology expert) it just wasn't working out properly. I'm sure the station is pretty good, I'd just like to be able to listen to it!

I just had a rough gander over this thread there and seeing figures like €5k being thrown around makes you wonder if the radio is worth the cost, when it doesn't even seem to work across campus :(

And by the way, did non-UL students really get prizes from UL FM?! :eek: I'd like a prize, I go to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

You can say that again! A LOT of people have lost faith in the interests of the Union, and to a lot of people recent happenings aren't really all that much of a surprise.

Perhaps focus on the people closer to home.... Union officers who are non contactable for days in a row, and stroll into work at 1 in the afternoon in tracksuit pants aren't exactly the definition of 'professional'.... With regard to paying for something and demanding things, if the people on the inside are sly enough they can bully whatever they want out of those people paying for the service ;)

What does it matter if the start at 1PM, how many nights have students been leving Javas/Stables and not even noticed that the lads still have their office lights on coz they're working when everyone else is out having the craic?
    So you're saying you want all the officers suited and booted whenever you see them?? Then in that case I'd like to see them all dressed up as Sesame St characters seeing as trackies are a no-no. Any time someone has a meeting they're well dressed. Not that it even matters, if you can do a job well you can do it in tracies, in the nip or in a suit.

Back to ULFM, I don't think anyone's mentioned how much work Colm Fitzgerald has done as technical director, everytime I see him he's tired! He does so much for ULFM and An Focal and he definately deserves a round of applause for that!

And to the people complaining thaty there's faults/bugs/problems;

This is NEW! Has anyone here ever been there at the beginning of something? When the stables opened, no doubt there were teething problems with suppliers and the like. With every new goverment, there's a period of adjustment. You even have to let lasagne settle for a bit before you cut it sop the white sauce doesn't go everywhere.

Don't try and ruin something because it's new and different, give it a chance to grow and blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's mentioned how much work Colm Fitzgerald has done as technical director, everytime I see him he's tired! He does so much for ULFM and An Focal and he definately deserves a round of applause for that!

Here here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

What does it matter if the start at 1PM, how many nights have students been leving Javas/Stables and not even noticed that the lads still have their office lights on coz they're working when everyone else is out having the craic?
    So you're saying you want all the officers suited and booted whenever you see them?? Then in that case I'd like to see them all dressed up as Sesame St characters seeing as trackies are a no-no. Any time someone has a meeting they're well dressed. Not that it even matters, if you can do a job well you can do it in tracies, in the nip or in a suit.

It does matter what time they start at. If someone needs a welfare issure sorted with the college it's important that the paid people are their during UL hours to get things sorted. I'm not saying they need to be in everyday 9-5 but I would love to see some sort of posting of their hours online or outside their doors. I have gone in trying to contact one of the officers and they weren't there.

Also since the radio station starts at 11, Kelly should be in at 10 to make sure things are all set to go at 11.
    Back to ULFM, I don't think anyone's mentioned how much work Colm Fitzgerald has done as technical director, everytime I see him he's tired! He does so much for ULFM and An Focal and he definately deserves a round of applause for that!

A lot of other people deserve applause too not just one person. This was a team effort to set up. Sarah I gather you are working with the radio, maybe you can give an on air thank you and applause to every class rep, every clubs and societies committee and every person getting a President Volunteer Award. ULFM did take some effort to set up but you don't deserve an applause because other people on the ULFM committee didn't pull their weight or he signed on for more than he could handle.
    And to the people complaining thaty there's faults/bugs/problems;

I applaud them, they are availing of this service and providing feedback ensuring this service won't lose people and will be continued to be offered. They have the courage to speak up about the problems and highlight them when so many of the radio committee want to be thanked for gaining experience, enhancing their cvs and having a huge launch party.
    This is NEW! Has anyone here ever been there at the beginning of something? When the stables opened, no doubt there were teething problems with suppliers and the like. With every new goverment, there's a period of adjustment. You even have to let lasagne settle for a bit before you cut it sop the white sauce doesn't go everywhere.

You also don't let lasagne settle forever otherwise its crap and you have to get rid of it.

You make it sound as if their was no planning for this radio station. All of summer should have been planning the launch of the radio station and not the launch party. The station is launched, people are offering suggestions and highlighting faults. We all have been at the beginning of something. How long would the radio like so until it hears feedback/problems? When is the period of adjustment finished?
    Don't try and ruin something because it's new and different, give it a chance to grow and blossom.

It's not different and it's not new (rag radio, Wired FM). We aren't ruining it, we are offering suggestions on how to improve it so it can grow and blossom and not shrink and thank applaud itself to death.

You can either take suggestions as someone trying to ruin something by highlighting a fault, or it can be something you can try to improve on so that fault doesn't continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

reunion wrote: »
    Sarah I gather you are working with the radio, maybe you can give an on air thank you and applause to every class rep, every clubs and societies committee and every person getting a President Volunteer Award. ULFM did take some effort to set up but you don't deserve an applause because other people on the ULFM committee didn't pull their weight or he signed on for more than he could handle.

Sarah has no involvement with ULFM just to clarify.

A lot of other people deserve applause too not just one person. This was a team effort to set up. Sarah I gather you are working with the radio, maybe you can give an on air thank you and applause to every class rep, every clubs and societies committee and every person getting a President Volunteer Award. ULFM did take some effort to set up but you don't deserve an applause because other people on the ULFM committee didn't pull their weight or he signed on for more than he could handle.

I never said other people didn't deserve applause, I was simply pointing out Cold hasn't been metioned yet(afaik).

Where do you get this from?? I'm absolutly NOTHING to do with ULFM. And actually, yeah I would go on air to applaude these people. Now is the time to get involved in stuff before we're all grown ups with degrees and real jobs.
    My generation's apathy. I'm disgusted with it. I'm disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all those other -isms the counterculture has been whinning about for years. - Kurt Cobain

THIS. This is what pisses me off. Even notice the poeple bitching are those who can't be bothered to put down the dutch gold and get up off the couch and take part and be part of something bigger???

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

so many of the radio committee want to be thanked for gaining experience, enhancing their cvs and having a huge launch party.

Care to show us any proof of the board members asking to be thanked?

THIS. This is what pisses me off. Even notice the poeple bitching are those who can't be bothered to put down the dutch gold and get up off the couch and take part and be part of something bigger???

I'm not sure whether to be offended over insinuating some posters on this thread have an alcohol problem, or that you presume they drink Dutch Gold.

Lot of vitriol here. The thread was just set up to get peoples opinions on UL FM loike.

Reiver wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether to be offended over insinuating some posters on this thread have an alcohol problem, or that you presume they drink Dutch Gold.

Lot of vitriol here. The thread was just set up to get peoples opinions on UL FM loike.

Hop on the half eleven bus and see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

How can you tell that through the internet? Every post so far I've been drinking dutch gold and have been on the couch......

People can also complain about a service that has problems. Some people are involved heavily in clubs/class rep stuff or not involved at all. Either way those dutch gold drinkers would also be who the radio is aimed at, along with non-dutch gold drinkers.
    CJKeane wrote: »
    Care to show us any proof of the board members asking to be thanked?
    Will nobody say thank you?
    Kelly O'Brien
    VP Communications

How can you tell that through the internet? Every post so far I've been drinking dutch gold and have been on the couch......

Did I say anything about you, or any other specific posters??

Reunion hit the nail on the head there Sarah. Not everyone gets involved but this is still a service for students. Maybe a quarter of the student body I'd say is involved in C and S? And look at the student elections each year, if we got 50% of the students voting, it'd be fantastic!

We don't want it split into the bourgeouis who are the UL Fm audience while the proletariat are cavorting with their late buses into town and Dutch Gold. People are allowed voice their opinion, its a public thread. While there might be some trolling, some of the criticism is helpful.

Besides, if I drink Tuborg or Bavaria, does that mean I can listen to this station?
    Did I say anything about you, or any other specific posters??

You did sort of imply that several of the posters on this thread belong in that category of the people "bitching".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Reiver wrote: »
    We don't want it split into the bourgeouis who are the UL Fm audience while the proletariat are cavorting with their late buses into town and Dutch Gold. People are allowed voice their opinion, its a public thread. While there might be some trolling, some of the criticism is helpful.

"Some" being the word most emphasised in that sentence. Yes, there has been helpful criticism, such as about the website, mic levels, lack of publicity, etc,. But you have to admit a lot of what's being posted now is either pointless irrelevant bickering about the SU, An Focal, the suitability of the SU officers etc,

I don't think any of the board of ULFM have a problem taking constructive criticism, highlydebased has responded to a number of the criticisms in this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

It matters that they are uncontactable for 3 consecutive week days when, as far as any of their colleuges are concerned, they should be around.... and then they stroll in at 1pm looking like they've only just arrived home from the night before. I don't care what anyone says - that is NOT professional. The SU is loosing support and loosing it very fast... perhaprs unfairly. I know I saw it coming a long time back. This evenings council nominations speak for themselves.

It does matter what time they start at. If someone needs a welfare issure sorted with the college it's important that the paid people are their during UL hours to get things sorted. I'm not saying they need to be in everyday 9-5 but I would love to see some sort of posting of their hours online or outside their doors. I have gone in trying to contact one of the officers and they weren't there.

Here Here! It's not uncommon to go looking for an officer between 9 and 5 when, according to reception they're not in any meetings or at any engagements', and to find their office empty or filled with their minions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Lads I'm sitting in tonight in Thomond, with a few cans of dutchie and ULFM. Going to have a good auld bitch about the SU, anyone want in?

Lads I'm sitting in tonight in Thomond, with a few cans of dutchie and ULFM. Going to have a good auld bitch about the SU, anyone want in?

we're posh up here in curragh birin - stella all round :cool: ULFM isn't so good up this way though must be the dodgy internet as it crosses the groody roundabout ;)

I'm in if we can make a list of why each individual SU officer is sh*t? Then we can post it in a totally irrelevant thread on boards, I'm thinking the Atheism forum.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm in if we can make a list of why each individual SU officer is sh*t? Then we can post it in a totally irrelevant thread on boards, I'm thinking the Atheism forum.

That's a bit harsh..... there's a difference between what you're saying and constructive criticism....

Ah now you have gone a bit off topic there and i would like it to go back on topic :)

Anybody listening to ULFM now ? I am in the library and forgot headphones :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Wow, what an utterly abysmal existence you endure...

yuppy700 wrote: »
    Ah now you have gone a bit off topic there and i would like it to go back on topic :)

Anybody listening to ULFM now ? I am in the library and forgot headphones :(

As I said I cannot get anything to work at the moment, but according to schedule there's nothing on a Friday evening so maybe I'm to fool :s

As I said I cannot get anything to work at the moment, but according to schedule there's nothing on a Friday evening so maybe I'm to fool :s

Thats grand so. Managed to get it on my phone now. :D
    Ah auto DJ belting out the classics

It would be cool if you could see what songs are gonna be played next.

I know you can see what was played here http://216.75.20.63:8734/index.html

but would still like to see whats coming up.

I assume that'll be on the way. It says on the site that Android and Iphone apps are on the way so it'd be natural that would be a feature of those.

It is one of the remaining major omissions from the site in my opinion, that, and a little thing on the home page telling you who's on air now. But again, I reckon these will inevitably be added in time and are not something that I'd be that put out about.

I assume that'll be on the way. It says on the site that Android and Iphone apps are on the way so it'd be natural that would be a feature of those.

It is one of the remaining major omissions from the site in my opinion, that, and a little thing on the home page telling you who's on air now. But again, I reckon these will inevitably be added in time and are not something that I'd be that put out about.

Nothing really to be put out by is right, but....I personally think that since there is an ulsu app for the iPhone why isn't ULFM broadcast on it.

I am aware that it is costly to do....that is streaming through an app....but at this stage with the money that has gone into ULFM aren't we better off saying : in for a penny in for a pound ?

I am not a fan of assumptions and a proper timeline of things would be better ( IMHO ) instead of the : coming soon excuse

Otherwise I think ULFM are alright.....IF they stop daly broadcasting. For the love of god

The site now shows what show is on on the front page. :)

The stream is now on a different port.

Any idea why ?

Since the quality of ULFM is a direct reflection of how well it's run, I would like to highlight some of the issues with ULFM that change what I think of ULFM.

The following quote is from the website http://www.ulsuelect.com/?p=331
    ULFM: Long run governance issues?

The ULFM constitution is a document which sets out the governance structure and operational mechanisms of the radio station.
    Having read through the document, which is publicly available via the ULSU website, I would like to highlight certain sections of particular concern with regards to the smooth operation of a transparent and robust radio station:
    Simple version:

• The Communications Officer has absolute and ultimate power over ULFM
    Longer Version:
    There are several issues with the constitution of ULFM. Some of these problems relate to the governance structure for the station, while others relate to errors within the station’s constitution. This post will focus more on the former and less on the latter. This is not a comprehensive list of all the issues with the ULFM constitution
    • Governance structure of ULFM (Section 9)
      • The governance structure of ULFM has been designed so that members of the entity (the constutition implies that the entity is a company, however a quick check on the CRO fails to yield any results for a registered company) do not directly elect members of the board. The Communications officer is automatically appointed as the Chair, and they also appoint the whole board. Dismissing a board member can only take place by a two thirds vote by the board.
    • Constitutional Changes (Section 12)
      • Any member of ULFM (all students) may propose an amendment to the ULFM constitution. After proposing changes to the development board, the board will “consider and draft the change(s). The drafted amendments must then be ratified by a two-thirds majority of a Board Meeting”.
      • Members apparently do not have the opportunity to discuss, or even vote on any proposed changes.
      • The board may disregard any proposed changes by members, or make changes to any amendments submitted by members before the body passes (or rejects) them.
    • Entity type? (Section 2)
      • Part 2.1 of the constitution implies that ULFM is a company.
      • It directly states that the ULFM constitution “forms the Constitution and Articles of Association for the company.”
      • A quick check on the CRO fails to yield any search results
      • The ULFM website (among other ULSU run webpages) says that ULFM has a board of directors, but no where in the ULFM constitution does it say anything about a board of directors, rather it refers to a development board.
      • ???
      • Profit!
    • Webmasters responsibilities! (Section 6)
      • Clearly a typo, but none the less, 6.7.3. says that the webmasters responsibilities include ensuring that all website content is in keeping with section 13
      • Section 13 says: “In the event of dissolution, all properties of the body belong to the ULSU.”
    • Secretaries responsibilities! (Section 6)
      • 6.4.3 says the secretary has responsibility “To compile an agenda for, and record minutes of all UL FM Development Board meetings; and to distribute them to the Board in hard copy which must be signed and archived, and then made available on the website”.
      • It’s not 100% clear, but one could be lead to believe that minutes of all ULFM development board meetings are to be made available on the website. At present there are no minutes.
    • Can I speak now? (Board Meetings Operational Document)
      • Part #14 (there are only 11 points, but this one is numbered 14 for some reason) essentially says that the Chair can dictate who can, and can not speak at board meetings.
      • No one is allowed to interrupt anyone else at a board meeting, with the exception of the chair who is explicitly allowed to interrupt people.
      • Part #15 says: “The chair may eject from the meeting any person who acts in a way which is detrimental to the conduct of the meeting.” Depending on the interpretation or implementation of this, it could cause serious issues.

Source : http://www.ulsuelect.com/?p=331

Clearly there are some issues there that need to be sorted by ULFM...sooner rather than later

Some of those points make me think that ULFM could be very dodgy if they wanted :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The stream is now on a different port.

Any idea why ?

To fix the stopping/starting problem people had

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

what is ULFM? Is a soc in terms of Clubs and Soc or a separate entity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement