Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULFM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Rule of thumb; If you can't see the words 'club' or 'society' in the title, it's safe to assume it is neither a club or a society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

sorry was probably a stupid question in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    This is what pisses me off. Even notice the poeple bitching are those who can't be bothered to put down the dutch gold and get up off the couch and take part and be part of something bigger???

Hypocrite? Notice how you are bitching there? Wasn't on topic or constructive btw. From your logic, you can't put down the dutch gold and get off the couch.

Just because you are apart of something big (or aren't) doesn't mean you don't put down dutch gold and/or ever get off the couch.

Your post does imply anyone offering any critisism about ULFM (or anyone who has an opinion bitches) so far is lazy and an alcoholic.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Now is the time to get involved in stuff before we're all grown ups with degrees and real jobs.

I for one am 'grown up', anyone attending college should be 'grown up'. There is also nothing stopping you when you have a degree/real job/'grown up life' from volunteering in activities.
    To fix the stopping/starting problem people had

The radio doesn't play anymore confused.gif
    I now get a network error...
    At least no stopping or starting problem for me...

Hi to the American girl on ulfm right now.

you need to look up the word infer and imply up in the dictionary and learn the difference.

god has the yank not heard of the world variable?

sorry they're canuks, how's it going aye

total misuse of the word grand really annoying have to turn off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

god has the yank not heard of the world variable?

sorry they're canuks, how's it going aye

total misuse of the word grand really annoying have to turn off

Sid justice banned for a week.

Constructive criticism is okay, this sort of stuff is not.

To fix the stopping/starting problem people had

Was there a stopping/starting problem? is it fixed now on the other port?
    Am I the only person that can't listen to ulfm atm due to the port change?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

reunion wrote: »
    Was there a stopping/starting problem? is it fixed now on the other port?
    Am I the only person that can't listen to ulfm atm due to the port change?

Kelly said last night when I was finishing up that there's still a problem with the wired networks, she wasn't even able to listen in the SU itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Forum Soc president on to talk about Zombie Walk soon :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Kelly said last night when I was finishing up that there's still a problem with the wired networks, she wasn't even able to listen in the SU itself.

ah ok, any chance you could stream from both ports? that way if the ulfm player isn't working you could try the other one? What about going back to the old port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

ah ok, any chance you could stream from both ports? that way if the ulfm player isn't working you could try the other one? What about going back to the old port?

That would be silly. It would probably require 2 separate shoutcast instances. It wouldn't improve the quality of the stream either since the source is the same unless the shoutcast servers had different streaming settings.

I'm rather surprised no one has commented about this post yet: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74847408&postcount=239. Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

Some notes on the ULFM website (which I hope is only a placeholder for something better):

* Time formatting. Don't just pull it from the db. 14:00:00 looks spastic. 2pm looks good.
    * Don't store shows in hour blocks. Now: 13..-14.. Talk to the Wall, Next: 14..-15.. Talk to the Wall? Redundant!!! Now: 1pm - 3pm ...., Next 3pm - 4pm ... would be much better.
    * The Programmes link should point to the schedule, not #.
    * Get rid of the acre of white space inline with the logo, above the video (float your divs).
    * On all pages the vertical split is done differently. Pick a layout and stick with it.
    * Make the popup as small as possible. The listen page can have all the info as it is, but the pop-up player should be the player, a small logo and if possible the current track. C'est tout.
    * You are using the most basic (ugly) skin for the player.. have you looked here: http://ffmp3.sourceforge.net/skins.php
    * Reevaluate your colour scheme.
    * Why put facebook and twitter feeds on the same page if one is just linked to the other anyway? http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/contact.php

I put up these criticisms simply because the web guy seems to be reading this thread and taking the helpful comments on board while ignoring the s**t others are saying. I've lots to say about the station but I feel it would be a waste of my own time to bother typing them.

Some notes on the ULFM website (which I hope is only a placeholder for something better):

* Time formatting. Don't just pull it from the db. 14:00:00 looks spastic. 2pm looks good.
    * Don't store shows in hour blocks. Now: 13..-14.. Talk to the Wall, Next: 14..-15.. Talk to the Wall? Redundant!!! Now: 1pm - 3pm ...., Next 3pm - 4pm ... would be much better.
    * Get rid of the acre of white space inline with the logo, above the video (float your divs).
    * On all pages the vertical split is done differently. Pick a layout and stick with it.
    * Make the popup as small as possible. The listen page can have all the info as it is, but the pop-up player should be the player, a small logo and if possible the current track. C'est tout.
    * You are using the most basic (ugly) skin for the player.. have you looked here: http://ffmp3.sourceforge.net/skins.php
    * Why put facebook and twitter feeds on the same page if one is just linked to the other anyway? http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/contact.php

I put up these criticisms simply because the web guy seems to be reading this thread and taking the helpful comments on board while ignoring the s**t others are saying. I've lots to say about the station but I feel it would be a waste of my own time to bother typing them.

Just to add, when you click on the programming schedule, the show names on there should link to the show pages themselves.

Also, an issue I've noticed in the past few days, is the drop down menu for programmes goes behind the video.

I disagree about the size of the popup window, doesn't really make a difference how big it is really seeing as you will more than likely minimise it straight away anyway. The currently playing track is a good idea, and should be relatively easy to implement, seeing as if you listen in itunes the track name comes up.

And also, it's not a waste of time to post constructive criticism about the station itself, just because people don't post doesn't mean they don't read the thread. I'd be pretty confident that most of the ULFM board are aware of this thread, and that some of the hosts read it as well.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    That would be silly. It would probably require 2 separate shoutcast instances. It wouldn't improve the quality of the stream either since the source is the same unless the shoutcast servers had different streaming settings.

I'm rather surprised no one has commented about this post yet: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74847408&postcount=239. Thoughts?

well I would rather 2 streams with one of the streams working for everyone than one stream that cut out a portion of the audience. Might be an idea to look in to especially if it can be done from the one shoutcase instance.

Am I wrong or did the last port work for everyone on campus? Could you not make a mute/unmute button. Essentially the same as stopping it and starting it if you are on the page. Has skynet been contacted about the port they used for rag radio?

radio station working > constitution Getting the radio station working is way more important than constitutional changes that could be made during summer/winter holidays or anytime really . I'd rather a radio station than a good constitution and no radio station. though I don't have either atm....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just to add, when you click on the programming schedule, the show names on there should link to the show pages themselves.

Also, an issue I've noticed in the past few days, is the drop down menu for programmes goes behind the video.

I disagree about the size of the popup window, doesn't really make a difference how big it is really seeing as you will more than likely minimise it straight away anyway. The currently playing track is a good idea, and should be relatively easy to implement, seeing as if you listen in itunes the track name comes up.

And also, it's not a waste of time to post constructive criticism about the station itself, just because people don't post doesn't mean they don't read the thread. I'd be pretty confident that most of the ULFM board are aware of this thread, and that some of the hosts read it as well.

Current track is certainly on the wishlist but the problem if people use grooveshark which I've decided to permit, the song title won't show. The only solution is to use last.fm which seems a potential possiblity...

As regards being aware of the thread, we are all only too aware of it!

Thanks for the comments. I'm not happy with the site as tis, mostly for the reasons you've listed actually. But given that I'm trying to be a student aswell as do all this, the website has to get less priority for a little while...

Yeah I think I'll have to do that. Basically the port was changed from 8734 to 8700 because it seems there was some conflict which caused the stop-starting. Basically ITD unblocked 8734 and that solved the last problem. They told us today they unblocked 8700 but it seems they've not.
    radio station working > constitution Getting the radio station working is way more important than constitutional changes that could be made during summer/winter holidays or anytime really . I'd rather a radio station than a good constitution and no radio station. though I don't have either atm....

There is an amended constitution which will be passed at tommorow's board meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bken1991

Polar Ice wrote: »

[SNIP]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ogami

bken1991 wrote: »
    SNIP

I don't think you should be posting other people's contact details here. even if it is publicly available through a whois.

[SNIP]

bken1991 wrote: »
    [SNIP]

[SNIP]Also that post is completely off topic and against the UL forum charter.
    Off Topic
    - Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand.

Phone numbers
    - Posting other people phone numbers is a bannable offence. You should never post your own number on a thread as it is not guaranteed to be safe.

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post. Posting PM's publicly without consent could be met with harsh consequences, especially if they do not have any place in the discussion.

Common Sense Rule
    - Be sensible.
    Wholan has said they are changing the constitution, we have to wait until tomorrow to see the new version.

Any idea on the status of the working radio stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

As per the Terms of Use that you agreed to when you joined Boards, may I remind you all of the following:

You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:

* identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

Failure to adhere to this may result in infractions and/or bans.

Please remember this when posting in future.

• Advertisement

Any idea on the status of the working radio stream?

Answered it yourself :D ITD will be hounded in the morning because it's unacceptable that they've deemed the port issue "resolved" when it's quite clearly not.

Answered it yourself :D ITD will be hounded in the morning because it's unacceptable that they've deemed the port issue "resolved" when it's quite clearly not.

guess more complaining tomorrow if it isn't fixed :P

still no access to ulfm for me....

I've had the radio for about 2/3 days out of the last 3 weeks.

Might just start using grooveshark and using the radio feature on that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

still no access to ulfm for me....

I've had the radio for about 2/3 days out of the last 3 weeks.

Might just start using grooveshark and using the radio feature on that instead.
    Can you forward the port from where you are yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Can I just say a huge congratulations to Kelly and her team.

I know there are kinks and students are right to have high expectations BUT when I graduated things were very different and as far as I can see they have done nothing but improve under Finn McDuffie and Kelly O'Brien.

Finn completely revamped how the paper looked and Kelly has given us a radio station - in the space of a couple of years that's a huge achievement.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Can you forward the port from where you are yourself?

No I don't know how to port forward, however I can find out if I really really wanted to. Can you not use a port that works? I hardly doubt you expect every student to port forward.
    Can I just say a huge congratulations to Kelly and her team.

I know there are kinks and students are right to have high expectations BUT when I graduated things were very different and as far as I can see they have done nothing but improve under Finn McDuffie and Kelly O'Brien.

Finn completely revamped how the paper looked and Kelly has given us a radio station - in the space of a couple of years that's a huge achievement.

That's off-topic about previous communications officers.... Finn has nothing to do with ULFM so why he is brought up, I have no clue.

My new radio station; currently there is no website and you can't play the radio as the ports don't work. Can I have my huge congradulations?

A few years ago, someone got us wired fm. starting something isn't a huge achievement, running something successfully is. I would put wired fm as a flop, since it, you know, flopped. The board of ULFM have achievements and failures. Cutting out a portion of the student population who the radio is for and who are helping fund this endavour (through Kellys salary, initial costs, etc) is a huge failure.

I know they only just started but ignoring testing before launching, not having a website for an INTERNET radio station and after 3 weeks the radio still doesn't stream correctly is embaressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

No I don't know how to port forward,
    http://portforward.com/

My new radio station; currently there is no website and you can't play the radio as the ports don't work. Can I have my huge congradulations?

I know they only just started but ignoring testing before launching, not having a website for an INTERNET radio station and after 3 weeks the radio still doesn't stream correctly is embaressing.

http://ulfm.ulsu.ie/

No I don't know how to port forward, however I can find out if I really really wanted to. Can you not use a port that works? I hardly doubt you expect every student to port forward.

failures. Cutting out a portion of the student population who the radio is for and who are helping fund this endavour .

I have 2 issues with what you've said here. As I've said already on here, it is NOT us who are "cutting out of a portion of the student population...". What utter tripe. Start a thread about ITD and the way they've made things for us and slate their arrangements.

Secondly, students are NOT funding this, NOR are they paying Kelly's wages. Thats another load of tripe.

As regards the website I'm pleased to update there will be a meeting in the morning with an individual who is going to look after it from here on in because I don't have the time to maintain it to a standard which will keep the masses on boards.ie happy...

• Advertisement

I have 2 issues with what you've said here. As I've said already on here, it is NOT us who are "cutting out of a portion of the student population...". What utter tripe. Start a thread about ITD and the way they've made things for us and slate their arrangements.

Secondly, students are NOT funding this, NOR are they paying Kelly's wages. Thats another load of tripe.

As regards the website I'm pleased to update there will be a meeting in the morning with an individual who is going to look after it from here on in because I don't have the time to maintain it to a standard which will keep the masses on boards.ie happy...

Oh god...those last six words will no doubt cause a sh*t storm.... I'll be back in a week. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement