Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making soups from frozen chicken stock

Options
  • 25-09-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a lot of homemade chicken stock in my freezer. I would like to make enough soup for maybe 2 days out of the stock. This will involve reheating the soup the next day. Is this unhygenic? I am reheating soup that has been made from defrosted and heated stock. It seems to break the "only reheat once" rule.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57128116
    I was looking at this thread and saw some nice soup recipes. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Toff wrote: »
    I am reheating soup that has been made from defrosted and heated stock. It seems to break the "only reheat once" rule.
    It will be fine imo.
    Only reheat once is always misinterpeted.
    Basically, when you freeze something, you are only supposed to defrost it once, this is because freezing doesn't kill bacteria. Bacteria continues to while you defrost it, leave it for a while, then re-freeze. Do it multiple times and there could be a lot of bacteria present.

But tis not the actually freezeing or reheating thats the problem.
    When you make the soup you will be boiling the mix, so then all the bacteria is killed. Eating this over 2 days is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

Mellor wrote: »
    It will be fine imo.
    Only reheat once is always misinterpeted.
    Basically, when you freeze something, you are only supposed to defrost it once, this is because freezing doesn't kill bacteria. Bacteria continues to while you defrost it, leave it for a while, then re-freeze. Do it multiple times and there could be a lot of bacteria present.

But tis not the actually freezeing or reheating thats the problem.
    When you make the soup you will be boiling the mix, so then all the bacteria is killed. Eating this over 2 days is fine.

Thanks for the information. I better get going at those soups!

Advertisement