Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well... Rent allowance circumstances? WHAT DO I DO?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

So... Rent allowance (Sorry moderators i wasn't sure where to put this thread, move it if you need to.)

What are the guidelines on rent allowance or some sort of allowance does anyone know?

So my circumstances are.. I'm 19 next month and live at home with my parents. I have no leaving cert (I know, bad idea). I did finish a fetac level 5 course 2 years ago and have done everything i can to get into college this year, with no luck. I applied for 2 courses in kilkenny, 3 in cork, 2 in dundalk, 1 in cavan etc, etc.. Including some through fás but, there's just nothing available.

So it's not like i'm not trying.. Well, let me tell you i'm having a lot of trouble at home and on the verge of being kicked out basically due to not being in college and not getting on with one parent and then.. I will not have anywhere to go, what am i supposed to do? At the moment, it's ridiculous, my mother is on disability and my father works in labour and for some reason i can only get 40 euro through social welfare? Well, basically i know i can't get 188 euro until i turn i think 20, 21 through social welfare, even if i move out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do, how i can actually afford to move out and be independant because my parents don't want me living there and i don't want to live there either, both my siblings moved out at 18 too and they're much older now but, it was a lot different 10 years ago when they moved out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

BahSheep wrote: »
    how i can actually afford to move out and be independant because my parents don't want me living there and i don't want to live there either.

Move heaven and earth to get a job maybe? I know jobs are thin on the ground but with enough determination there is still work there for people who are willing to roll up their sleeves, try bars, restaurants & supermarkets etc to see if they have any hours going and if you get lucky show that you are a good worker and don't mess it up. Sorry if this post sounds patronizing, it isn't meant to be, it's just that looking to move out and go on SW would be very difficult even if you get the full rate, and you haven't mentioned a job search in your OP, which would be the most obvious course of action IMO. You will get a college place eventually and can deal with that when the time comes, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BahSheep

mickeyk wrote: »
    Move heaven and earth to get a job maybe? I know jobs are thin on the ground but with enough determination there is still work there for people who are willing to roll up their sleeves, try bars, restaurants & supermarkets etc to see if they have any hours going and if you get lucky show that you are a good worker and don't mess it up. Sorry if this post sounds patronizing, it isn't meant to be, it's just that looking to move out and go on SW would be very difficult even if you get the full rate, and you haven't mentioned a job search in your OP, which would be the most obvious course of action IMO. You will get a college place eventually and can deal with that when the time comes, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

I've looked for jobs EVERYWHERE where I live and for someone as underqualified as me it's hard. I know you're trying to help. I'll have a look again sure. It'd be fine if i had means of travel but, with no money to get a car i have no means of travel either until i get a job haha. It's a vicious circle if you ask me :( Thanks for your reply though,

If anyone else has a suggestion also, please post. Or any jobs in Kilkenny for people who don't have a lot of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

In your circumstance the best thing to do would be to work on your relationship with your parents. They are your biggest asset.
    You are not ready to be independent and the state does not want to provide for you.
    Get on with your folks, help them with the house and do your best to remain there until you have found a job.
    Go back and try an Ordinary Level Leaving Cert whilst you are waiting.
    Oh and don't drink. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Zamboni, that's good advice. If all else fails, consider looking in areas not near your home. For example, there may be more opportunities in Dublin. Even if it isn't your dream job, it will reflect well on your CV later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As stated try and improve relations with your parents.

Go back to school and do your leaving cert. There is no way you were actually going to get into college without it. Yes there are courses but that isn't college.

Being older now you will see the leaving is not that difficult.

You have made some mistakes but you can reset them now and that is better than regretting them some more over the course of your life. You are headed down the road where you could essentially be living in poverty if you choose not to address it now. Yes others have made it in the past but that is like expecting to win the lottery and the odds have gotten worse since the days you could survive without it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement