Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you get to build and enclosure in a room?

• 25-09-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I want to build an enclosure in a room (room within a room) for housing computer equipment. Would it be a carpenter for a wood chip type solution?

What other kind of setup could I implement - I wouldn't want something permanent like blocks!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If this is for a computer room, I would build it out of polycarbonate sheeting. This is what the data centers use to segregate warm aisles from cold aisles. It has the advantage of letting some light through. I am talking about this sort of stuff. http://search.diy.com/search#w=polycarbonate%20roofing%20sheets&asug=poly

You might need to screw a frame out of 2x4 wood together to hold it together. You will need to work out some way to make a flap for the door. You could probably work this out yourself. It depends on how permanent and good a job you need, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How will you discharge the heat ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You could just use normal construction materials. There's a big fire safety advantage to using plaster board and plaster finishes compared to using exposed wooden surfaces. That's why they're standard in homes.

I would just get a builder to put up a wooden frame structure. Run plenty of power sockets and ducts into it for carrying any ethernet cables etc.

Finish it off with plaster board and a skim of plaster then paint it to match in with your decor.

You also should put something in to ensure adequate ventilation - you don't want the equipment over heating.

So, at the very least if it's spacious enough, you should have natural ventilation i.e. just louvers / vents to the outside.

If you think heat's likely to be a problem, you might consider installing a fan in the wall to suck air through from the room.

It's best not to suck air in from outside as it's likely to be too cool and damp and could condense onto equipment!

You can get complicated and expensive cooling systems, but unless you're running a big data centre, and in Ireland's cool climate, there shouldn't really be a need.

I'd also install a cheap smoke alarm at the top of the enclosure, just in case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If this is for a computer room, I would build it out of polycarbonate sheeting. This is what the data centers use to segregate warm aisles from cold aisles. It has the advantage of letting some light through. I am talking about this sort of stuff. http://search.diy.com/search#w=polycarbonate%20roofing%20sheets&asug=poly

You might need to screw a frame out of 2x4 wood together to hold it together. You will need to work out some way to make a flap for the door. You could probably work this out yourself. It depends on how permanent and good a job you need, really.

Eh,when was ther last time you were in a comms room in a data storage and protection centre???:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Need more information...
    Would a rack suffice?

http://www.rittal.com/products/katalog.asp?ViewAt=5-4636-4638&Dom=com&lang=GB

That's where most IT rooms start. Never mind cold-aisle containment systems just yet.

Advertisement