Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended sanders?

• 25-09-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

So folks, I'm setting out to paint the house and that means removing a great deal of thick old gloss paint from the skirting boards along with wooden features. Thing is I hate sanding and want to get a decent multi purpose sander, so what do you folks recommend as a decent tool to pick up? (probably from woodies but if you want to recommend a store go ahead :) )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They have sanders in Lidl/Aldi this week. I got them there before and they are great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Parkside multi adjustable sander in Lidl or Aldi for 20 euro.

Brilliant sander.

I also have a Black N Decker Mouse sander with various sanding attachments,great for delicate sanding and hard to reach areas for sanding (in between mouldings of skirting boards and staircases).Also comes with a dust bag too.

You will pick 1 up for around 45-50 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

seithon wrote: »
    So folks, I'm setting out to paint the house and that means removing a great deal of thick old gloss paint from the skirting boards along with wooden features. Thing is I hate sanding and want to get a decent multi purpose sander, so what do you folks recommend as a decent tool to pick up? (probably from woodies but if you want to recommend a store go ahead :) )

Sanding would be the last way on earth I'd utilise if removing large amounts of paint from skirting/just about anything.

Paint stripper (check out for the effective types) or hot air gun (bearing in mind respiratory protection where there's a possibility of your dealing with lead based paints) are the ways to go.

I'd go hot air gun myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Paint stripper.. hmm only thing I'd be concerned about is that stuff is chemical (which if it got on the varnished floor might strip the varnish?) or heat based.. which might have it's own unpleasant effects on the floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

seithon wrote: »
    Paint stripper.. hmm only thing I'd be concerned about is that stuff is chemical (which if it got on the varnished floor might strip the varnish?) or heat based.. which might have it's own unpleasant effects on the floor?

Slide a 400mm wide strip of thick plastic sheeting under the skirting board and tape the other edge to the floor. Then paint stripper. Test the plastic first to make sure it withstands the chemical.

I remember using something other than your standard Nitromors which you applied like a paste and left for a day or so - it removed multiple layers of paint clean from a 100 year old stairs. It wasn't the cheapest but it did the job effectively and with little effort / scraping.

As sure as night follows day, you'll damage your floor if you attempt to sand down to the edge of the skirting board. Besides creating a mess. Beside the sheer effort. besides not being able to get into nooks and crannies.

-

The alternative would be a hot air gun with some thin steel sheeting (pick up a 2'x1' piece of 1.5mm sheeting at a metal fabricators) used for protection. Put a gentle curve in the sheeting (so that the middle is raised an inch from the floor when both edges contact the floor) and push it so that the edge goes a little under the skirting.

Point the hot air gun along the skirting rather than down at the sheeting and don't over heat things and the floor will be fine. The sheet will get hot but the heat will feed into the floor only at the contact edge which is pushed under the skirting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sanding would be the last way on earth I'd utilise if removing large amounts of paint from skirting/just about anything.

Paint stripper (check out for the effective types) or hot air gun (bearing in mind respiratory protection where there's a possibility of your dealing with lead based paints) are the ways to go.

I'd go hot air gun myself.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Okay folks :)
    Thanks for the input much appreciated I shall take a trip out tomorrow to woodies and see what I can find :)

Advertisement