Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weanling Ration

• 25-09-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

In order to save money on weanling meal, my local CO-OP (Grennans) has suggested that I use their bull beef (14% protein I think) to creep my weanlings along with a Soya bag which is 47% protein. The idea is that I mix a cup of the soya meal with a bucket of the bull beef ration. Is this a sound idea, cheaper than buying weanling crunch, or is it bullxxit. The weanlings only receive circa 1kg of meal per day ie they are restricted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tomjim wrote: »
    In order to save money on weanling meal, my local CO-OP (Grennans) has suggested that I use their bull beef (14% protein I think) to creep my weanlings along with a Soya bag which is 47% protein. The idea is that I mix a cup of the soya meal with a bucket of the bull beef ration. Is this a sound idea, cheaper than buying weanling crunch, or is it bullxxit. The weanlings only receive circa 1kg of meal per day ie they are restricted.

How do you manage to train your weanlings to only eat a kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

It is the average, ie I use a creep feeder

oh right. some could be eating more, some less. Get ya

I would say crunch only need to be used to get them started. The other option being suggested to you would seem more sensible once they're used to eating meal, but I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Muckit wrote: »
    oh right. some could be eating more, some less. Get ya

I would say crunch only need to be used to get them started. The other option being suggested to you would seem more sensible once they're used to eating meal, but I'm no expert.

Can you clarify what you mean by stating you are no expert, ie is it appropriate for you to comment if you are unsure of your status,

You posted a tread. I'm posting a comment. 'I'm no expert' means exactly what it says on the tin.

High protein low energy to grow, low protein high energy feed to fatten. I'm open to correction by others. Minerals and vitamins also important.

Have you calculated the total % protein you'I be feeding with a bucket of 14% bull nuts and a 'cup' of 47% soya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 agriking101

you go, muckit, you were just displaying typical Irish modesty. You're right on protein and energy, i wouldn't be so worried about protein this time of year, 'cos grass is high in protein, low in energy. Higher protein needed once cattle are eating silage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

You posted a tread. I'm posting a comment. 'I'm no expert' means exactly what it says on the tin.

High protein low energy to grow, low protein high energy feed to fatten. I'm open to correction by others. Minerals and vitamins also important.

Have you calculated the total % protein you'I be feeding with a bucket of 14% bull nuts and a 'cup' of 47% soya?

jaysus muck you are on a bad run, first the dog fence and now this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Expert advice here Muckit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

You don't need the soya. In fact rolled barley or even citrus would do for such a small feed. they will get enough vits and mins from grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Good loser wrote: »
    You don't need the soya. In fact rolled barley or even citrus would do for such a small feed. they will get enough vits and mins from grass.

I would think the Soya to up the protein level of the ration would be no harm at all when dealing with weanlings.
    To my mind a Kilo of a good ration fed to weanlings at grass will pay for itself, even in terms of reducing stress at weaning, training to eat meal, training to break the bond with the cow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

Bizzum wrote: »
    I would think the Soya to up the protein level of the ration would be no harm at all when dealing with weanlings.
    To my mind a Kilo of a good ration fed to weanlings at grass will pay for itself, even in terms of reducing stress at weaning, training to eat meal, training to break the bond with the cow etc.

Don't know. Depends on cost. Would stick with my opinion - on grass protein is not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Folks.. Anyone know how much rolled barley bulk in ton bags is? Where in the north east I can pick it up??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Why not feed a rolled barley/soya mix? At current prices it works out at bout 260/ton. Simple feeding. At 5:1 (barley/soya) it works out at 16% protein I think. 4:1 is a little over 17%

Advertisement