Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepark, Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭looters

We are getting booked for inspections many months in advance, for homes that are barely at first fix level, again testament for the demand and eagerness of buyers to get in to the homes.

When you say "we", does that mean you work for this developer or something.

Anyway, ironic how you think that current demand has any reflection whatsoever on what the properties will be worth in 1, 2 or 3 years. Some people will never learn I guess.
    I guess when people start queuing overnight to buy one of these places and start outbidding each other, then we know they are a sure investment....because after all, the masses know what their doing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

Don't worry Looters you are getting off lightly!!

I've received a torrent of abuse on this thread for "talking down the market", together with some not so nice PM's for mentioning the word pyrite on this thread. (nothing to do with this development but previous developments by a certain individual involved in this estate)

http://stobserver.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/pyrite-protesters-picket-maynooth-development/

With this internet melarky gone are the days when peoples main sources of information was from Independent newspapers and Estate Agents:)

As always my advice to prospective buyers is to do your own research and don't be swayed by vested interests.

Caveat Emptor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kieran6

looters wrote: »

When you say "we", does that mean you work for this developer or something.

Anyway, ironic how you think that current demand has any reflection whatsoever on what the properties will be worth in 1, 2 or 3 years. Some people will never learn I guess.
    I guess when people start queuing overnight to buy one of these places and start outbidding each other, then we know they are a sure investment....because after all, the masses know what their doing right.

Your right, the value may go up or down just like anything else. In this estate they have gone up for obvious reasons. The quality is excellent, people are buying a house for life now so equity is largely irrelevant, it's a new build which is rare, it's a great estate in a vibrant town close to Maynooth. The property market has its niches, this is one of them. Seems like your convincing yourself not to buy on a poorly judged speculation. Not sure why your on this thread. Ring the estate agent, talk to the builder, the town TD, the local guards, the people that are already living in castlepark and then see what u think. Otherwise bashing the estate on this thread seems more like the work of an Internet troll?

Kieran6 wrote: »
    Your right, the value may go up or down just like anything else. In this estate they have gone up for obvious reasons. The quality is excellent, people are buying a house for life now so equity is largely irrelevant, it's a new build which is rare, it's a great estate in a vibrant town close to Maynooth. The property market has its niches, this is one of them. Seems like your convincing yourself not to buy on a poorly judged speculation. Not sure why your on this thread. Ring the estate agent, talk to the builder, the town TD, the local guards, the people that are already living in castlepark and then see what u think. Otherwise bashing the estate on this thread seems more like the work of an Internet troll?

As Ive said, Im in this thread because I will be buying a property. When the time is right.

I'm not bashing the estate, just pointing out that the asking prices at the moment are stupidly overpriced and value will fall dramatically along with most other properties in the Country.

There is no need for people who have already bought there to attack me, simply because of their invested interested in the estates value.
    There are also many potential buyers reading the thread, all opinions are allowed to be expressed.

As Ive said, Im in this thread because I will be buying a property. When the time is right.

I'm not bashing the estate, just pointing out that the asking prices at the moment are stupidly overpriced and value will fall dramatically along with most other properties in the Country.

There is no need for people who have already bought there to attack me, simply because of their invested interested in the estates value.
    There are also many potential buyers reading the thread, all opinions are allowed to be expressed.

I'm not attacking you. U said the detached units will decrease from €397,000 ( which was the minimum paid for the last batch, didn't buy the detached so I don't have a vested interest) to €250,000 in one year. That's a reduction of of over 35% in one year. Not even the worst hit areas fell by that amount in one year. You have based this on nothing except a gut feeling. The supply is controlled to demand, and so far the demand has driven the price up. U hav asked for reasons y the price is that high and got answers from people living there and looking to buy. By your posts it looked like u were talking down the estate, based on idle speculation. Best of luck in purchasing in the future.

• Advertisement

Kieran6 wrote: »
    I'm not attacking you. U said the detached units will decrease from €397,000 ( which was the minimum paid for the last batch, didn't buy the detached so I don't have a vested interest) to €250,000 in one year. That's a reduction of of over 35% in one year. Not even the worst hit areas fell by that amount in one year. You have based this on nothing except a gut feeling. The supply is controlled to demand, and so far the demand has driven the price up. U hav asked for reasons y the price is that high and got answers from people living there and looking to buy. By your posts it looked like u were talking down the estate, based on idle speculation. Best of luck in purchasing in the future.

Clearly you do since you own a house in the estate, only time will tell how much they are reduced by.
    Of course there is a big difference between what people pay and what the property is worth. Sadly, some people will never learn.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

I do agree with the 'better value' out there comment.
    If its value & value alone, you can have three 3 or 4 bed semi's in Westmeath for the price of one in C/ park.
    Rental yields are strong, though not strong as in Dublin, but the rental demand is there.
    The county is also straddled by 2 motorways, and has colleges also.
    Unlikely they'll have the high spec. - but you can add that afterwards.

When I say we, I mean my independent building inspection / engineering co. - that acts for buyers, protecting their property purchase.
    Inspecting between 5 & 10 houses a week in Ireland -gives us a good idea of whats trending / selling -(although I wouldn't propose to know everything - I come to these forums for comment & information)
    The demand or price doesn't make a blind bit of difference to myself or my staff. In fact I try not to know the price of a home as build quality is build quality, and crap building is crap building. :rolleyes: Irregardless of the price a client is willing to pay for a home.

Market demand is consumer driven - and Irish buyers although right fully cautious from the mistakes of recent past in the property & lending sectors have to also compete with:
    Foreign nationals (3 out of 5 buyers in the last year has been non Irish)
    Foreign investors - we are seeing an increase From the US & far east of people buying that haven't seen the physically seen the properties & reley on professionals to act as 'in country' agents to facilitate the purchase, carry out and monitor renovations & ensure the home is fit for purpose or rental.
    Rental yields are quite strong in the Dublin belt.
    And the area specific factor, although prices have taken a hit, certain areas are always sought after to live in & will continue to do so even if the market bucks.
    mike f

Clearly you do since you own a house in the estate, only time will tell how much they are reduced by.
    Of course there is a big difference between what people pay and what the property is worth. Sadly, some people will never learn.

Still misinformed speculation on your part. You need to do more research, your way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MaxPower131

I do agree with the 'better value' out there comment.
    If its value & value alone, you can have three 3 or 4 bed semi's in Westmeath for the price of one in C/ park.
    Rental yields are strong, though not strong as in Dublin, but the rental demand is there.

Market demand is consumer driven - and Irish buyers although right fully cautious from the mistakes of recent past in the property & lending sectors have to also compete with:
    Foreign nationals (3 out of 5 buyers in the last year has been non Irish)
    Foreign investors - we are seeing an increase From the US & far east of people buying that haven't seen the physically seen the properties & reley on professionals to act as 'in country' agents to facilitate the purchase, carry out and monitor renovations & ensure the home is fit for purpose or rental.
    Rental yields are quite strong in the Dublin belt.
    And the area specific factor, although prices have taken a hit, certain areas are always sought after to live in & will continue to do so even if the market bucks.
    mike f

Please tell me you are being sarcastic???

A four bed in Maynooth is currently rents for about €1200. In Castlepark that would give a yield of 3.63% on a four bed detatched and 5.05% on the semi detatched. (assuming 12 month occupancy, excluding maintenance/charges and of course tax/PRSI) Granted there are some semi decent yields from properties at Alsops auctions down by the IFSC but certainly not in this development.

Please tell me who these guys from the Far East and US are? I've got some chocolate hammers to sell them:) Sounds like an Irish media propaganda story.

Where did you get the statistic that 3 out of every 5 buyers are non Irish?

Thats news to me.:rolleyes:

When I say we, I mean my independent building inspection / engineering co. - that acts for buyers, protecting their property purchase.
    Inspecting between 5 & 10 houses a week in Ireland -gives us a good idea of whats trending / selling -(although I wouldn't propose to know everything - I come to these forums for comment & information)

So when people start buying more houses, its more business for you.
    Not biased at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

If you want, go up and look at the show house and see what it's like. Then go down to the likes of drogheda and buy the same house for 120k less. Your paying for a quality build and quality location. If you think the detached are gonna fall to 250k, well I'm still waitingon your flying pigs to appear overhead!

If you want, go up and look at the show house and see what it's like. Then go down to the likes of drogheda and buy the same house for 120k less. Your paying for a quality build and quality location. If you think the detached are gonna fall to 250k, well I'm still waitingon your flying pigs to appear overhead!

Im certainly not saying these houses arent worth more then those in the likes of Drogheda. Just that the gap is not nearly as big as these crazy asking prices. Seems like a lot of the owners have been had by sales and they are regurgitating a lot of sales talk which has duped them into paying silly prices. Just my opinion of course.

Added to the high prices, all housing property will drop over next few years. So will take a double hit, just be very careful.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic???

A four bed in Maynooth is currently rents for about €1200. In Castlepark that would give a yield of 3.63% on a four bed detatched and 5.05% on the semi detatched. (assuming 12 month occupancy, excluding maintenance/charges and of course tax/PRSI) Granted there are some semi decent yields from properties at Alsops auctions down by the IFSC but certainly not in this development.

Please tell me who these guys from the Far East and US are? I've got some chocolate hammers to sell them:) Sounds like an Irish media propaganda story.

Where did you get the statistic that 3 out of every 5 buyers are non Irish?

Thats news to me.:rolleyes:

Come on in all fairness, if your going to comment at least read the post correctly, My post mentioned rental yield in Westmeath & Dublin, and last I checked Maynooth isn't in either county. Sarcastic enough for ya ?
    And to clarify the 3 out of 5 is not a statistic - purely based on the origin of my clients - surnames / email addresses, of course I can't be one hundred percent - as I don't ask "where are you from" during the course of my business.
    Just a good indicator of whose buying what in my estimation over the last while.
    No real need for chocolate hammers thanks , i've had enough choc's over xmas to last me into the new year. ;)

Looters, my posts are simply observations on the homes as I've been poking around them more than most, I may only do one more / or no more inspections in the estate. - If you hear hooves, think horses - not zebras.
    mf

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jamontoast

Am a little suprised at the comment regarding Irish buyers having to compete with 3 out if 5 foreign nationals, what exactly do you mean, and why would a foreign natiional have any competitive advantage over an Irish person in terms of buying a house ? Surely all persons living in Ireland and trying to buy a house are on the same level playing field ?

Jamontoast wrote: »
    Am a little suprised at the comment regarding Irish buyers having to compete with 3 out if 5 foreign nationals, what exactly do you mean, and why would a foreign natiional have any competitive advantage over an Irish person in terms of buying a house ? Surely all persons living in Ireland and trying to buy a house are on the same level playing field ?

Competition based on price / offer vs' demand for an estate / house.
    The volume of posts on this thread is on the price paid in c/park & variations. Maybe 'compete' wasn't the correct phrase to use.
    If your waiting to see if the price falls further in this or another development and the demand is there in the market from whatever quarter, native or other wise - then it seems hard to comprehend getting a unit for 250 K that are currently selling for 300K ( 350k + ).
    Probably will be a lull as first time buyers re calculate taking out MIR & adding in the new property tax as a running cost.
    It will be interesting to see what the revenue say the homes in this development are worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CASEY CLAKE

anyone know how come there are only 17 up on the property register if they are all sold? even all the 1st phase arent up there but earlier someone mentioned that they are all currently lived in, am i searching wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MACH2013

Looks like the solicitors haven't uploaded the data yet, but there are definately people in the 1st phase houses, and starting to move into the second phase thats being built at the moment. Does anyone know how the next phase/s release is going. I was talking to a valuer during the week who has completed a number of valuations in castlepark and he said therre is a waiting list for these properties?

I have a feeling there may be a bit of a wait which is why I asked about whats definitely sold. From the planning permission on Kildares co. councils website it looks as though they are only able to build 60 homes until a distibutor road between straffon & the dublin road has been completed & the planning permission has just been extended out to 2018, not ideal to be living on a building site but I believe an earlier poster mentioned that the builders are good about blocking off areas they are working on so its not visible to residents.

If you are considering buying out that way its also worth checking out the Maynooth Local Area plan & if you are considering Castlepark you need to search under location of "Castlepark" "Dunboyne Road" & "Dunboyne Rd" as there is documentation under all 3.

There also appears to have been some land slippage issues in the neighbouring estate but as the council were made aware of this before the build started I expect this wont be an issue, just worth bearing in mind if do intend on purchasing, I eventually hope to, they are fantastic houses.

Yes indeed, I have been through the Maynooth Plan. Some issues identified re flooding regarding local river etc, but risk seems to have been mitigated and I don't believe Castlepark has anything to worry about. They are an excellently finished house, as mentioned to me by the valuer I met and another guy who has snagged one or two there. It will be interesting to see what savings will be generated by the A Energy Rating, but I guess it will take 1 to 2 years minimum to truely understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Just a couple quick responses,

I'd say there is close to 40 houses occupied at the moment between from and back row,

Build time is about 6 months,

Looking at current progress the full Second row of houses should all be built first half this year so would think they will soon be in the region of 60 houses being built

Current build activity is not at all noticeable certainly not for those in the front row

Hope that helps
    I have a feeling there may be a bit of a wait which is why I asked about whats definitely sold. From the planning permission on Kildares co. councils website it looks as though they are only able to build 60 homes until a distibutor road between straffon & the dublin road has been completed & the planning permission has just been extended out to 2018, not ideal to be living on a building site but I believe an earlier poster mentioned that the builders are good about blocking off areas they are working on so its not visible to residents.

If you are considering buying out that way its also worth checking out the Maynooth Local Area plan & if you are considering Castlepark you need to search under location of "Castlepark" "Dunboyne Road" & "Dunboyne Rd" as there is documentation under all 3.

There also appears to have been some land slippage issues in the neighbouring estate but as the council were made aware of this before the build started I expect this wont be an issue, just worth bearing in mind if do intend on purchasing, I eventually hope to, they are fantastic houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

Hi,
    I'm just wondering where you found that they will be only able to build 60 houses until that road is completed. I've been on the Kildare planning website but can't seem to find it. Maybe you'd be able to post a link.

Cheers

Hi Newgirl,

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiry/ - under planning number entry 061925 and review the documents, its condition 41.

I was trying to work out whether they intend to build 60 & sell (which is what they appear to be doing as over 40 are occupied though not on the property register) or if they intended to build all and only sell a few units in each phase until the road was completed.

As I mentioned earlier, I hope to buy in this estate so I'm not trying to run it down but I'm concerned that the manner in which they complete/release these houses may effect the desirability of the area to live in at least in the medium term and also the value of the properties. I'd be more than happy if someone can confirm I have misinterpreted this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There has been a few revisions since to the planning application (Changing unit types etc), although they were querying it in 2011:

http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWeb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=1496793&format=jpeg

Don't actually see a response for that on there.

I'd be delighted to see that road get built, whatever is required to get it funded...

It was also referred to under plan app no 12687 on the final document on page 3 which was dated 07/12/12 but could very well be outdated & just carried over?

MYOB have you heard of when they hope to start the road or is funding an real issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Dublin Road (Blacklion) to Celebridge Road section was to be built by developers (not Castlepark's), a planning app was put in for it (and granted) but the planning was never put in for the associated development on the land that it was to open up.

Last I checked the planning was near expired, although it'd be a formality to extend it. Its an expensive enough project due to the need to bridge an active railway.

Most of the Straffan Road to Celbridge Road section exists, in Griffin Rath. The planning for the development that will complete it was recently extended.

thanks MYOB, you dont happen to remember the planning app number, tried searching but not having much luck. Many thanks again

MYOB wrote: »
    The Dublin Road (Blacklion) to Celebridge Road section was to be built by developers (not Castlepark's), a planning app was put in for it (and granted) but the planning was never put in for the associated development on the land that it was to open up.

Last I checked the planning was near expired, although it'd be a formality to extend it. Its an expensive enough project due to the need to bridge an active railway.

Most of the Straffan Road to Celbridge Road section exists, in Griffin Rath. The planning for the development that will complete it was recently extended.

Is there a drawing of the proposed route to be taken by this new road? Any info would be greatly appreciated:)

Did anybody get sky tv installed? If so where was the dish installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newgirl2012

Has anyone had their attic converted by Mason homes? Good/ bad experience?? I'm not having the best experience with mine!

• Advertisement

Has anyone had their attic converted by Mason homes? Good/ bad experience?? I'm not having the best experience with mine!

We're getin ours done during this phase. Why what's wrong with it?

Advertisement